dell printers on mac

tsidewalk

7 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

Actually you probably could, because dell printers are made by lexmark if you could find specific lexmark model get its driver and dl os x version i would work.

as to how you would find out what lexmark model it was made from who knows? my guess just look at some of the lexmark one and see which one it looks like the only difference should be color and logo

Actually you probably could, because dell printers are made by lexmark if you could find specific lexmark model get its driver and dl os x version i would work.

Doubt it.

Since OS X uses CUPS much like Linux, the linuxprinting.org web site information is often as applicable for the odds of OS X support in many cases.

As noted for the Dell AIO 944, none of the Dell/Lexmark Multifunction/All-In-One printers will work under Linux due to them being Host-based printers (offloading processing to the OS, much like Winmodems), which make them cheaper by not requiring a powerful processor in the printer. Along with their use of proprietary print data streams, that makes them difficult to support without official drivers, which are Windows-only.

IBM has a technical description of the problem here:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?u...6256d43005680a0

I don't expect to see Dell/Lexmark releasing any drivers for older printers. Hopefully with OS X gaining increasing market share, these companies will start supporting OS X. (Although non-host based printers are always better anyways.)

As a work around you could set it up in VMware or Parallels and print PDFs to it in Windows. (Since OS X can saved to PDF)

Edit: Or this: http://iharder.sourceforge.net/current/macosx/winmacprinter/ modified for your printer. (Using a virtual Windows installation)

• 4 weeks later...
uh my lexmark x1100 and my sisters (not user model but it is less than a year) lexmark all-in-one printers work on mac.

Is that the same as the Dell AIO 810?

they have mac drivers on the lexmark website.

I was saying that specific model, not in general. (And obviously unless they have released Mac drivers.)