126 replies to this topic

rndlgna

rndlgna

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
does usb 2.0 work yet ?
have someone tried this http://www.insanelym...howtopic=117029 ?

AEZ2007

AEZ2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Any luck yet?

Sorry for the late reply, guys and gals.

I had to sell my N10J for some unfortunate financial reasons :) so I'll probably not be able to be much more help on this one.

Best of luck though...

AEZ2007

doeme

doeme

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

I had to sell my N10J for some unfortunate financial reasons :( so I'll probably not be able to be much more help on this one.

:(

do you remember something that could be helpfull for us? which image, which bios...

pigeond

pigeond

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

does usb 2.0 work yet ?
have someone tried this http://www.insanelym...howtopic=117029 ?

I haven't tried that kext myself. But with using USBBusFix I am getting about 14MB/s rate reading from a USB hard drive, which to my understanding is much higher than USB 1.0 speed, right?

do you remember something that could be helpfull for us? which image, which bios...

As AEZ2007 has discovered, I have to use the N10J 207 bios from osrom.net, or the kernel will get stuck after the Mac framework initialized message.

As for image, I installed from a retail 10.5.5 image using a USB memory stick.

doeme

doeme

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

As for image, I installed from a retail 10.5.5 image using a USB memory stick.

wasnt it necessary to disable usb..? how did you build the stick?

pigeond

pigeond

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

wasnt it necessary to disable usb..? how did you build the stick?

For the installation, you have to disable EHCI (USB 2.0), after the installation I pass USBBusFix to Chameleon and it seems to be happy with ECHI again. BTW for that reason, USB installation is pretty slow, that's why AEZ2007's original method was to put the installation dvd image onto the hdd.

I built the stick on a Mac. I have the .dmg image of the installation disc and I restored it onto the USB stick. I basically followed one of the USB installation methods. If you search for MacOSX installation on the dell netbook you should find it, it has instructions on both preparing the boot-132 and installation disc on USB.

pigeond

pigeond

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
It took me long enough...

I've finally got the GeForce 9300M GS (10de:06e9) working with Quartz Extreme.

I used CoreVidia at http://mac-inul.com/...topic.php?t=732

I had to use 1.1, for some reasons 1.2 didn't work (or unless I did something wrong).

dark685621

dark685621

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

It's great news, after I update to 10.5.8 from software update, I think USB 2 now is working after I put original IOUSBfamily.kext back. I don't know how to see is it USB1 or USB2, but it's faster now when I copy files from external USB HD to internal HD. Thanks to apple. I'll try change bios to asus one see what will happened.Posted Image

Do you mean that you can run osx on the asus n10 ?

And you don't need to disable the usb.
What are you install the OSX version?

ideneb or iakos or ipc or Original or other ??

Can you tell me ,please ??

Thank you.

pigeond

pigeond

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Hi all,

I'll try my best to recap what I've done.

Please note that AEZ2007 has presented his methods of installation at http://www.insanelym...rt=#entry975747 which does the installation without using USB.

What I have:

• ASUS N10Jc laptop, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS.

Preparation:

• Flash the N10Jc bios with the N10J one at http://osrom.net/biosmod/ (http://osrom.net/fil...od.by.Kabyl.zip). Without this, the kernel will get stuck after "MAC framework" message.

• Boot-132 on a USB stick. I used those files from boot_dfe_modbin.iso. I can't remember what it was, but vanilla boot-132 was giving me some issues. For how to make boot-132 onto a USB stick, follow the guide at http://www.insanelym...howtopic=115064

Note that the syslinux link there is old and broken, I used http
    ://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot...linux-3.63.zip

• MacOSX installation on a USB stick. I used the approach at http://www.mydellmin...-dvd-drive.html
    I used retail 10.5.5.

• Remove or move away the AppleUSBEHCI.kext on the MacOSX USB from /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

• USB mouse and keyboard, as the builtin laptop and touchpad does not work with the vanilla MacOSX.
    I used a USB mouse only, as I didn't really need to type anything during the installation. If you do, you might need a USB hub, as there are only 3 USB ports on the laptop.
    Alternatively, you can probably modify the MacOSX installation image, or modify the boot-132 and add necessary (VoodooPS2 for example) kext to it (initrd.img).

Installation:

• Plug both USB sticks in, then turn the laptop on, and get it to boot off the boot off the boot-132 USB stick. Best to press Esc at boot time so it brings up the boot selection dialog.
    Note: I'm not sure if it's only me or not. I get a lot of error messages "BIOS read error: Drive not ready", but they seem harmless, I can still get to boot prompt.

• Eventually you'll get to the prompt asking for the two-digit hex boot device. For me the installation USB stick is 81.

• Then at boot prompt again, I used "-v -f rd=disk2s1", even though it doesn't seem to correspond the 81 from the last step. I myself find setting rd is much easier than getting uuid to work. Also, -f is important here, cos we've moved away AppleUSBEHCI.kext. I suppose you could try removing Extensions.mkext on the installation image beforehand too.

• Install! Use the disk utility, partition, do the things you need, etc.
    As we've disabled EHCI, the installation is quite slow. It took >2 hours maybe for me. I imagine if you could someone use Chameleon and boot it with USBBusFix=y then it will be much quicker, but I haven't tried myself yet.

• First boot after install, you might use the boot-132 USB stick again to boot, but this time you pass "-v -f rd=diskXsY" where diskXsY points to the one disk/partition you just installed onto. For example for mine it is disk0s3 (first disk, third partition).

Getting it to boot:

• Chameleon.
    Follow Chameleon's installation instruction.
    As I want to use GRUB to dual boot my Linux, I only need to install boot1h to the MacOSX partition, and I set GRUB to chainload it. As I'm a Linux user, I did all these by booting into Linux first (could be any USB bootable Linux), and do all the dd and grub setup there.

• /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist
    Create /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist
    rd=diskXsY for the "Kernel Flag".
    USBBusFix to yes, this fixes the USB EHCI preventing MacOSX from seeing the internal harddisk.
    For example, my /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd"><plist version="1.0">    <dict>        <key>Kernel Flags</key>        <string>"Graphics Mode"="1024x600x32" rd=disk0s3</string>        <key>GUI</key>        <string>n</string>        <key>USBBusFix</key>        <string>Yes</string>        <key>Timeout</key>        <string>5</string>    </dict></plist>

• dsmos.kext
    I grab the one from the boot_dfe_modbin.iso initrd.img, and put it in /Extra/Extensions/.

• DSDTPatcher
    I used DSDT_Patcher1.0.1e.zip, ran "DSDT Patcher", and chose WinXP when prompted. Then I move DSDT.aml to /Extra/. This seems to resume after suspend where the backlight not coming back on.

kext:

• VoodooPS2Controller: for the builtin keyboard and touchpad. http://forum.voodoop...opic,235.0.html
    I have also moved away the ACPIPS2Nub.

• VoodooHDA: for sound. http://forum.voodoop...opic,234.0.html
    After installation you might want to go to "Audio MIDI Setup" under Utilities to set a lower format sampling rate, say 44100.

• CoreVidia.kext: for the NVIDIA display. http://mac-inul.com/...tview.php?t=732
    I used the 1.1 installer, which gives me both QuartzExtreme and QuartzGL. The 1.2 didn't give me QuartzExtreme for some reasons.

• RealtekR1000.kext: http://www.psystar.c...pensource/r1000
    The AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext has some issues, so I used the RealtekR1000 one and moved away AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext
  • VoodooBattery and VoodooPower
    VoodooBattery gives you battery status. Not sure what VoodooPower is actually doing anymore :)

What doesn't work, may not be working properly, or I haven't got it working:

• The builtin Atheros wireless

• HDMI audio
    Maybe I haven't tried enough yet, but it just doesn't seem to work. HDMI video works though.

• Suspend/Resume
    It seems to be happy doing the sleep and resume, but to my knowledge on this laptop the power led usually flashes while suspending, and pressing any key on the board resumes it. This is not the case: led doesn't flash during suspend, and the power button seems to be the only thing that can resume it.

• Audio clicking: http://forum.voodoop...opic,400.0.html

Things I haven't tried myself yet:

• Bluetooth

• Fingerprint reader

• Hot keys Like Fn+F11/F12 for volume. Fn+F5/F6/F7 works. Fn+F8 seems to hang or crash MacOSX. Should probably try ASUS hotkeys driver sometime too.

• The builtin Intel graphics
    I rarely switch to it.

• Builtin card reader

Other notes:
  • I upgraded it to 10.5.8, worked like a charm. It might have reinstalled kexts that you moved away, simply move them away again
  • Sometimes while trying things out, it might not boot or the GUI doesn't come up anymore. I then boot to Linux, "mount -t hfsplus" the partition and tweak things (com.apple.Boot.plist, kexts, etc) there. Sometimes you need to fsck.hfsplus (from hfsprogs) the partition first, before you could mount it read-write, also you might need to "mount -o force,rw" too as it doesn't support journaled hfs+.

Hope all these help...

Let me know if I've missed anything.

Pigeon

P.S. I absolutely hate this rich text editor, took me so long to format it the way I want it but it still comes up different. :(

doeme

doeme

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
hey pigeond, thank you very much! i think i'm close to my os x :D

but the installation hangs at this point:
Posted Image

any idea what i am doing wrong? i followed your guide step for step, boot prompt number was 83, thats the only difference...

thanks

doeme

pigeond

pigeond

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

any idea what i am doing wrong? i followed your guide step for step, boot prompt number was 83, thats the only difference...

Hi!

I think I've seen that before. That was when I got the wrong rd=diskXsY. If yours is 83 not 81, then i'm guessing you shouldn't be using disk2s1, maybe you can try disk3s1 or disk4s1?

Pigeon.

doeme

doeme

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Pigeond... That was it (disk1s1), now i am on the installation screen... I keep you informed ;)

edit:
new problem :(
Posted Image

it says i have to make a guid-partition :D

do i have to do this? there is a windows 7 installed on the same disk, i dont like to lose that... but if i have to, i do it ;)

edit2: other question, i bought 10.6, can i use it instead of 10.5?

dark685621

dark685621

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Pigeond... That was it (disk1s1), now i am on the installation screen... I keep you informed ;)

edit:
new problem :wacko:
Posted Image

it says i have to make a guid-partition ;)

do i have to do this? there is a windows 7 installed on the same disk, i dont like to lose that... but if i have to, i do it ;)

edit2: other question, i bought 10.6, can i use it instead of 10.5?

mbr
you can try this :
OSInstall.mpkg&OSInstall
OSInstall.mpkg to replace
/system/installation/packages/OSInstall.mpkg

OSInstall to replace
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Frameworks/OSInstall.framework/Versions/A/OSInstall

doeme

doeme

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
hey

i'm back... i think my installation was succesfull, now it hangs at the first boot. i get the following screen:
Posted Image

pigeond, you wrote i have to do -v -f rd=diskxsx again. osx is installed on disk0s2 (i checked this with the disk utility) but it hangs... :(. is -v -f rd=disk0s2 wrong or did i miss something?

br and thanks for any help

doeme

helbon

helbon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Other notes:

• I upgraded it to 10.5.8, worked like a charm. It might have reinstalled kexts that you moved away, simply move them away again
  • Sometimes while trying things out, it might not boot or the GUI doesn't come up anymore. I then boot to Linux, "mount -t hfsplus" the partition and tweak things (com.apple.Boot.plist, kexts, etc) there. Sometimes you need to fsck.hfsplus (from hfsprogs) the partition first, before you could mount it read-write, also you might need to "mount -o force,rw" too as it doesn't support journaled hfs+.

hello
can you explain how to upgrade pleaze
many thanks

helbon

helbon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
what about snow tiger ?

Tomasc

Tomasc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I got it working on my N10... I used snowywindosx (10.6 then combo update to 10.6.1)... Wireless, USB (via USBBusFix and chameleon bootloader), Nvidia 9300M and GMA950 is working except sleep and brightness control. I don`t know how to fix sleep issue and brightness. Does anyone know how to fix sleep? I`ve tried DSDT patcher, but it doesn`t work :-(

Sorry for my english. Thanks

helbon

helbon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I got it working on my N10... I used snowywindosx (10.6 then combo update to 10.6.1)... Wireless, USB (via USBBusFix and chameleon bootloader), Nvidia 9300M and GMA950 is working except sleep and brightness control. I don`t know how to fix sleep issue and brightness. Does anyone know how to fix sleep? I`ve tried DSDT patcher, but it doesn`t work :-(

Sorry for my english. Thanks

Hello can you explain how to do it ? thanks
Salut peux tu expliquer comment faire l'instal ? merci

Tomasc

Tomasc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello can you explain how to do it ? thanks
Salut peux tu expliquer comment faire l'instal ? merci

1)
read the article from pigeond here:
http://www.insanelym...p...t&p=1289954

- you have to patch your BIOS, it won`t work without patching!

2)
then search for SnowyWindOSX ISO image, it`s modified version for MSI Wind and it`s working on N10JC too.
I created 60GB partition (primary) for Snow Leopard and small 8GB partition (primary) for installation image and used Leopard HD installer (under Windows 7) to copy the ISO image to HDD partition - it`s faster, safer and you can disable USB in your BIOS.

3)
I disabled USB in BIOS, Leopard HD installer added MacOSX into Windows Bootloader (if you`re using Windows Vista or Windows 7 you have to add it manually via bcdedit utility as real-mode bootsector).

4)
Prepare newest version of Chameleon (2.0RC4) and it`s files - boot, boot1h, boot0 and put them somewhere on Windows partition - for example to directory - C:\chameleon
- you can mount it in MacOSX installation and install chameleon into your MBR via terminal later...
Restart, select MacOSX in Windows Bootloader and boot into installation, it worked like a charm:-)

5)
After the installation don`t restart immediatelly, because the system won`t boot up. (Or restart, but you must boot into Linux LiveCD and install Chameleon manually).

6)
Open terminal under MacOSX installation.
- cd /Volumes/(Your windows partition)/chameleon (for example I used C:\chameleon directory with files)
- fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0 (install into MBR)
- dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0sX (X is your MacOSX partition)
- cp boot /Volumes/(Your MacOSX partition)/
- exit

7)
Restart your computer and you should see now Chameleon bootloader. If something goes wrong, you`ve forgotten on something:-)

8)
Put <key>USBBusFix</key><string>Yes</string> into your /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and then you can enable USB in your BIOS.

9)
On your MacOSXinstallation partition is folder with Optional stuff to install... Here is combo update to 10.6.1 and update handler.pkg... You can update your MacOSX to version 10.6.1, but then you have to run update handler - it gets your system to work. Without update handler.pkg it won`t boot after update.

10)
Good luck

I don`t remember exactly everything, but It SHOULD work. Please, backup all of your data before you do something. It`s on your own risk.

To get the NVIDIA graphics working, you have to use NVInjectGo kext. You`ll get the right resolution and HW acceleration working.

GMA950 should work, because SnowyWindOSX has drivers included.
Bluetooth, Wireless, USB2.0 camera should work without any custom modification.

For internal microphone and HDA sound use latest version of VoodooHDA kext, it has automatic detection of microphone or use Bluetooth headset for Skype :-))

I haven`t got working - Sleep, Hibernate, Brightness.

And sorry for my english.

helbon

helbon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
many thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy