• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

themyers

themyers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
YOU ARE THE MAN!!! I hope that it is an easier install than it looks. Hope you can get it all to work. Keep up the Awesome work. Please keep us posted!!!!

AEZ2007

AEZ2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
OK,

I think I've got a "what works, what doesn't work" type list.

What I'm running: MSIWindosx86.iso off TPB, patched with Apple combo update to 10.5.5

Works:
Dual Core / HyperTheading!
*Seemed to be right off the bat. Full use of the built in Atom N270.

NVIDIA 9300M GS
*Using NVDarwin 1.2.4, out of the box

Intel GMA 950
*Using the 10.5.5 drivers repacked for the MSI Wind, again, no plist editing.
**This does provide MIRRORED video support at least in my limited testing.

Realtek 8168/81611 LAN.
*This card just worked.

Keyboard/Trackpad
*After updating to 10.5.5, I had to repair from the install environment to add back in ACPIPS2Nub and the PS2 fix off the MSIWindosx86

Not Working (YET):

USB2:
*This is the biggie. Turning it off in BIOS is the only way for the OSX bootloader to see the root device.
**I have a theory--yet unproven--that if one could specify the exact place to find the partition, that the system could go around this. There is no crash, just a 'waiting for root' loop. I will post more on that if I get anywhere. Anyone who knows more than me (like anybody) about the boot prompt for chameleon, how to use the root device (rd) flag, drop me a line.

Sound:
*This feels close but no cigar here. Chip is a ALC662 I can get the volume bar to show up, and speakers to show up, when using the codec dump from the working sound in Ubuntu. But nothing comes out.

WLAN:
There doesn't seem to be OS X drivers for the Atheros 928X chip in here. Although, looking at the location of the chip, it wouldn't be too hard to pop out for a supported one.

Whew! Long post. I'm going to try to boil down my install guide into something better, will post it soon.

Thanks for the enthusiasm!

aez2007

AEZ2007

AEZ2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Hi all,

Here's the guide to installing on ASUS N10. I've written some Linux howtos, but no OS X86 guides before, so point out if I leave something out please. I will be trying in the guide to give choices as to how to go around each potential roadblock.

This guide assumes, probably too much so, partitioning and basic terminal/CLI knowledge.

Method #1--DVD+DD+Linux approach (what I used).

1)
Get an Ubuntu 8.10 disk image. I used Ubuntu Ultimate 2.0. Being the wide, wild world of Linux, YMMV with other distros.
2)
Boot into the Ubuntu environment. Preferably, install a roughly 30+ GB Ubuntu system on your HD, preferably into a logical/extended partition (we'll need 2 of 4 primary partitions free for OSX, which only leaves one for Vista, one for the wrapper).
3)
Prepare two partitions for OS X--one will hold our "cloned" DVD and one our actual install. Both need to be made in the following way.

In Ubuntu:

Become Root:
"sudo -s"

Launch the text partition tool (we need to use the dumber 'fdisk' since I am unsure how to set the partition ID to be HFS+ from a gui):
"/sbin/fdisk /dev/sda"

Now, leaving totally alone our Vista and Ubuntu partitions, create a 4GB to 6GB partition to hold our OS X DVD.
And a OS X partion to hold our installed system, as big as you would like--I used 80GB since that is plenty for my office-type use of OS X--you could have more, although I wouldn't go less than 60GB if you plan to do anything serious in terms of using Mac OS X.

Set both partitions to be type "af" which is the code for OS X 86 Mac-type partitions. THIS IS A MUST, so that our cobbled bootloader will see them.

4)
Go to a real Mac or hack and pop in the OS X DVD you wish to use, I recommend the "MSIWindosx86.iso"
which is a nice out-of-the-box for the netbook.

Now, open a terminal.

In terminal, type:
"diskutil list"

and look for the OS X DVD you inserted, there will be two partitions or more on it. You want the biggest one, the one in 3+GB. For me, that was disk1s2, for you, it may vary, if your Hack/Mac has more disks or DVDS.

5)
Extract the needed 'flat image' of the OS X DVD by going to Disk Utility, and un-mounting (NOT ejecting) the DVD.

This way we can still access it, without any read conflicts.

In your terminal window, type (presuming disk1s2 as above):

"sudo dd if=/dev/rdisk1s2 of=/asus_n10_flat.img"

This will start a long process (5-10 minutes) of copying every one and zero on the DVD, but skipping the DVD bootloader, which would mess us up otherwise. When 'dd' is done, it will list records in and out, time taken in seconds, etc. That is how you know it finished. Wait for this.

6)
Copy the "asus_n10_flat.img" to the ASUS n10 (which we left booted into Ubuntu, or reboot back into it if need be).

In Ubuntu, open a terminal and CD to wherever you stored the .img file we made in step 5. Now, using the name of the smaller partition you created for the DVD part, (for me, /dev/sda3):

"sudo dd if=./asus_n10_flat.img of=/dev/sda3"

And this routine will be much like the one in the previous step, where you get no feedback until complete.

7)
Don't worry, we're nearly there :jester: Now, go to the chameleon homepage and get the chameleon bootloader. The ".tar.gz"
version is best here, since we have to install from Linux.

Extract the contents, and find the file titled boot1h (this the 'signature' ; magic that makes chameleon or any OS X bootloader lock on and start booting, at least as far as I know). Start a terminal into the folder that the chameleon files are in.

Now, targeting the smaller partition again:

"sudo dd if=./boot1h of=/dev/sda3"

8)

Add the following line(s) to your /boot/grub/menu.lst file in Ubuntu. This example assumes that ubuntu is the first logical partition, and that you have copied the 'boot' file of chameleon to '/boot/chameleon' in Ubuntu (#5)

title Mac OS X
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/chameleon

Save and exit the menu.lst file. Double check that you got the changes in there, that's what I forgot to do the first two times as I got close.

9)
Reboot the ASUS out of Ubuntu, go to BIOS, turn off USB.

10)

Choose the OS X entry in the GRUB menu, and (hopefully) you will be able to choose a partition named as the DVD you chose. If you get to the grey apple, or verbose boot, and you have USB off, you should be able to install as normal.

Method #2--VMware approach. Conceptually the same as above, but windows-friendly, doesn't really require linux.

(This is a bare outline of how to do this, VMWare installs have been well documented since the start of OS X 86, so I won't belittle the point)

1)
Get a DVD image you like and VMWare (Workstation 5.x + or Server 1.x+)
2)
Set up a virtual machine, customize it to target your hard disk (entire disk, not just a partition).
3)
Boot up the VM, load OS X, paritition as you would otherwise, ensuring you don't blast Vista or whatever Windows is the host OS.
The beauty of this method, is install is friendlier. When your done running the VMWare-enabled install, reboot and turn off USB.
Since this method uses a boot DVD in a 'normal' way, abstracting out the USB bug, it doesn't suffer from the need to assemble a bootable partition by hand.

Method #3--Take the HD out of the ASUS, install onto a partition, put it back.

1)
Since this method assumes your willing to crack the case, which I wasn't really, I'd go ahead and take the HD out, put in the wireless card you want if you choose to do that, etc. Get all changes ready in the hardware.
2)
Put the HD In a e-SATA or USB2 sled, get a machine that does boot OS X, and install onto a partition on the extracted HD.
3)
Put the HD back in.

**This method has some downsides--you have to crack the computer, and it doesn't provide a rescue strategy--but it is easy conceptually.

Hope this uber-long guide helps.

Drop in more questions and I'll try to answer.

Hardware setup / driver config is pretty ordinary once you're running OS X, so I won't go into that here.

I'll probably post answers tomorrow afternoon or evening, North American timezones. I will be at work and cannot respond then.

Feel free to ask though. Community is the fun of OS X 86.

aez2007

CMOSQ

CMOSQ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Wow, this is nice... One question though regarding method #2, the VMWare method:

1. I have Vista on the hard drive, I would need to resize the partition to give OS X space, no?

2. Is it possible to have VMWare running a guest OS and have that guest OS install itself to free unpartitioned space in the hard disk that the host OS is running on?

3. Once OS X is installed, how would you switch between operating systems?

sorry for the newbie questions.

rschultz101

rschultz101

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:dell 6000 , asus p4pe,
would it be easier, to install on other system ?

and pop back the disk ?

the other one I'am thinking is, ... to have an install partition to boot of from,....
don't know how, but it be nice feature.

AEZ2007

AEZ2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Wow, this is nice... One question though regarding method #2, the VMWare method:

1. I have Vista on the hard drive, I would need to resize the partition to give OS X space, no?

2. Is it possible to have VMWare running a guest OS and have that guest OS install itself to free unpartitioned space in the hard disk that the host OS is running on?

3. Once OS X is installed, how would you switch between operating systems?

sorry for the newbie questions.

1)
Yes, you would need to resize the HD partition. Mine came with a 320GB drive divided in half, so I shrunk the first 120GB partition to 100GB and split the 220GB remaining between Ubuntu and Mac OS X...

The 'free' way to do this is with any recent linux, booted from a CD. Ubuntu, Gentoo, anything with a LiveCD works. You don't need to install linux, just boot to it to resize the Vista partition.

There are also pay-for-play Windows tools like Acronis Disk Director that can do this from a tiny dos environment type deal...

2)
Yes, it is possible to install to the same HD that windows is booted from with VMWare for windows, I've done it on other systems, there shouldn't be a reason this little machine is different.

You get a couple 'are you sure' warnings. But it can be done. VMware will want to select just a blank partition, you have to tell it the whole drive or you make a Russian-doll-type deal where a parititon thinks it is a whole disk. That won't work :D

3)
The Grub bootloader that Ubuntu is the Windows/Linux/Mac boot selector. The configuration above can load chameleon, which is my OS X loader of choice, and chameleon can then load OS X. This is since chameleon complies to some of the Multiboot standards that Linux, etc. do.

Hope those answer some of your questions.

Cheers.

AEZ2007

CMOSQ

CMOSQ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Very helpful, thanks! Quick question:
If you change the boot device priority in the BIOS to use the HD instead
Of the external device do you still need to leave the usb disabled?

AEZ2007

AEZ2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Very helpful, thanks! Quick question:
If you change the boot device priority in the BIOS to use the HD instead
Of the external device do you still need to leave the usb disabled?

Oddly, yes (good question though, I had to check to be sure!). The problem is that if this particular USB controller is on, it blocks OS X from seeing the root device / conflicts with that.

So USB Has to be disabled, not just down the list.

Sadly.

aez2007

CMOSQ

CMOSQ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Studied your guide a bit and here's what I've tried so far:

I have a spare 100GB SATA notebook drive that I'm using for this experiment so my main OS (Vista) is safe.

I've tried step 1 & 2 (in reverse order)

Step 2:

Partitioned the drive with a 10GB XP partition, installed VMWare 1.07, created the VM, had some difficulty with getting the iso image recognized but eventually got over that by using magicdisc. It would never make it past the text screens, it would error out. If I used a -v -x switch at the prompt it would take much longer to error out but would never make it. I tried different settings per http://wiki.osx86pro...p/Vmware_how_to (this thread is 10.4.x specific but could not find a 10.5.4 thread for installing under vmware) but had absolutely no luck getting past the text debug screen where it would hand. I wonder if it's because I need a different iso image and not one that is customized for a netbook. Also tried changing the OS type in VMWare to Windows NT and "Other" but neither worked.

then tried your Step 1:

Blew away the XP OS, installed Ubuntu in an extended 20GB partition but I can't extract the flat image file from the main partition in the iso because there's no real mac (or hack) around. Is there any other way to extract this partition from the ISO file maybe natively in Ubuntu?

Any help would be great... Also, does anyone know if features such as Nvidia purevideo acceleration for x264 files work under osx?

CMOSQ

CMOSQ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Ok, got it working but...

On step #8 of method 1 /boot/chameleon needs to be /boot/chameleon/boot. I've put my Vista hd back in as it's really not worth it without sound/usb/sleep/wifi/hotkeys... Hopefully more OSX86 experts will pay more attention to this unique netbook.

Thank you for your guide!

CMOSQ

CMOSQ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Bump?

hughson

hughson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I wonder if the the new Live OS X DVD method could Help getting more functionality on the N10.

2LMan

2LMan

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
Any luck?

ShadowBandit

ShadowBandit

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
any updates on this? if this does not get a solution soon, i guess i will have to just go with an M1330 dell.... sigh.... haha

Thanks for all the efforts guys :)

nightalon

nightalon

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Hey guys, I'm looking into buying a netbook that I can tri-boot Windows 7/Leopard/Ubuntu Intrepid. The N10 is pricey, but the switchable graphics sound awesome.

I would most definitely pop in an SSD if the price is right, and swap out the WIFI chipset. I wonder if I could throw in an internal MiniPCI-E HSDPA modem as well. But I digress.

Gratz to those of you who have figured everything out so far.

I have some ideas:

1. I noticed before your boot hangs, you get a "security auditing device present." I'm not sure, but I thought this meant you had TPM. It may just refer to the kernel decryptor, I don't know, but this might be something sitting on a USB bus.

2. Asus has these instant-on Linux OSes it likes to install. This might reside on some flash memory sitting on a USB bus. The MacOS installation (or even startup procedure) may "bless" this "phantom drive" that Windows or even Linux may not be able to see because those OSes may make different calls to the BIOS to query connected drives. Of course we're using emulated EFI here, so that complicates things a bit more, I believe. I will note that this is not a problem on my Asus desktop motherboard that has Splashtop instant-on OS. However, I was never able to get BOOT-132 to work with it. Chameleon works like a charm, however. Although I can't get the Vista bootloader to find OS X on another drive, but that's another story.

3. If you're not afraid to open up your netbook, see what's attached to the northbridge. Four lines might indicate USB. I'm guessing the webcam is connected in this manner, so you could disconnect that. It might be on the other end of a USB hub of some sorts, either onboard or on a daughter-card. I can't understand what's going on, since apparently this netbook uses the same chipset as all of the netbooks that have integrated graphics only.

4. The hybrid graphics may be causing a problem. Not directly, since they both work in OS X, but indirectly. Asus may have to execute some microcode or some system-level process to make the GPU switch. This is a complication the EeePCs wouldn't have. Investigate the Sony Vaios and Asus notebooks that also have hybrid graphics to see if they have similar problems.

5. There is a way to select your boot disk by command line at the boot prompt. I don't remember what it is, though: it's mentioned in the BOOT-132 posts. ??=/dev/rdisk0s1 but I don't remember what the ?? are.

6. Run dmesg on an Ubuntu LiveCD and see if anything comes up. Installing the latest updates and then doing so might help.

7. Get someone to hack your BIOS a bit more, or just sit on your hands until Asus releases a new BIOS update.

Best of luck. I think I might wait for the N280, which is apparently coming out in the EeePC 1000HE, but I don't know if there will be OS X support for the new G50 graphics chipset. I hope so. I also hope Asus makes a hybrid graphics version for the N280, since NVidia's upcoming Ion platform uses slightly more juice than GMA950. Essentially the N10 would still be a better solution.

AEZ2007

AEZ2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

I wonder if the the new Live OS X DVD method could Help getting more functionality on the N10.

I'm thinking / hoping the same thing, if it could boot a DVD or USB device, then run from that, we'd get use of the USB ports back maybe or perhaps more.

I think that the USB problem is PCI related, but I'm not sure of that, since the USB option being OFF shouldn't affect the bootability of the SATA drive but does.

I'll test some LiveDVD brews I've got and post results.

AEZ2007

AEZ2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
New finding: You don't have to turn USB off in the BIOS if you pull "IOUSBFamily.kext" out of Systems/Library/Extensions

This doesn't improve USB problems on the N10J-A2 I've got but it DOES:

* Let me use SATA (couldn't boot that before)

* Perhaps in the future offer more hope for USB, perhaps a corrected driver could drop into the 'hole' and work while preserving bootability?

Just updating the thread. Glad to see folks still working on it.

roadkill

roadkill

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I disassembled my N10J and disconnected everything I could from the USB bus.
the Fingerprint Scanner Included with it has a TPM chip (http://www.upek.com/...ble/chipset.asp)
still no go..
going to replace IOUSBFamily.kext / IOPCIFamily.kext in favor of AnV / Slice version..

AEZ2007

AEZ2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

any updates on this? if this does not get a solution soon, i guess i will have to just go with an M1330 dell.... sigh.... haha

Thanks for all the efforts guys :rolleyes:

GREAT NEWS!

I found a way to get USB1.1 WORKING (no USB2.0 yet).

The key diagnostic was to load the USB KEXTs after boot, which showed me that only one was throwing an error (AppleUSBECHI.kext) and that it was complaining about Unsupported.kext in System.kext not liking it.

Taking a few searches about Unsupported.kext led me to ASUS Motherboard users for whom ECHI (USB HiSpeed or USB2.0) DIDN'T work, but USB1.1 DID work.

So I snipped out the USB2.0 kext with this command:

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/PlugIns/AppleUSBECHI.kext

The Result?

Booting with USB 1.1 working, I'm posting now from the ASUS N10J on a USB WiFi Stick. My 3G/EVDO card (USB from Sprint) works, which makes a really cool pair, tiny netbook and cellular internet.

Proof is in the picture.

To Do Still:

*Experiment with more USB devices
(So far flash drives, USB sound sticks and USB WiFi have worked. The key is the device cannot be USB2.0 ONLY, it has to have backwards compatibility of some kind, because USB2.0 is not present with this workaround.)

*Try 3rd-party EHCI KEXTs like PCGENUSBECHI.kext to see if they can give us USB2.0 speed back.

Happy to take questions!

aez2007

Attached Files

CMOSQ

CMOSQ

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

GREAT NEWS!

I found a way to get USB1.1 WORKING (no USB2.0 yet).

The key diagnostic was to load the USB KEXTs after boot, which showed me that only one was throwing an error (AppleUSBECHI.kext) and that it was complaining about Unsupported.kext in System.kext not liking it.

Taking a few searches about Unsupported.kext led me to ASUS Motherboard users for whom ECHI (USB HiSpeed or USB2.0) DIDN'T work, but USB1.1 DID work.

So I snipped out the USB2.0 kext with this command:

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/PlugIns/AppleUSBECHI.kext

The Result?

Booting with USB 1.1 working, I'm posting now from the ASUS N10J on a USB WiFi Stick. My 3G/EVDO card (USB from Sprint) works, which makes a really cool pair, tiny netbook and cellular internet.

Proof is in the picture.

To Do Still:

*Experiment with more USB devices
(So far flash drives, USB sound sticks and USB WiFi have worked. The key is the device cannot be USB2.0 ONLY, it has to have backwards compatibility of some kind, because USB2.0 is not present with this workaround.)

*Try 3rd-party EHCI KEXTs like PCGENUSBECHI.kext to see if they can give us USB2.0 speed back.

Happy to take questions!

aez2007

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy