• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

ShadowBandit

ShadowBandit

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
at this point that might be worth giving it a shot, I would just like to figure out why the hell it hangs lol.... but i guess no one has ran into a problem like this yet.

I appreciate your input and will do that.

Riker2k

Riker2k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Not that it will necessarily make you feel any better but I am having similar results on my N10j.

I've tried most of the various builds and haven't had any luck yet either. I'm open to suggestions or bouncing ideas back and forth if you want Shadow... I'm sort of surprised that there isn't more discussion about this machine. Maybe in time...

What method / build are you concentrating on using?

My *guess* is right now that there are some very specific PCI vendor and device IDs that the N10 uses that aren't in any of the kexts packaged with the various builds. That's a guess at best but the hardware seems to be mostly common with a couple of other netbooks that people seem to have running (wind, aspire one, etc.).

I haven't had a chance to try iDeneb yet but I believe you have with no joy.

I plan on taking a look through one of the builds (haven't decided which yet) to see what type of drivers are packaged / included. Hoping it's not a lack of BIOS functionality that's causing it...

Would love to see this machine working!!!

Cheers.

hughson

hughson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
if you have an USB and a extra hackingtosh lying around try the method i mentioned a few post back and see what you get. If this method works then we know the error has something to do with the internal hard drive.

Not that it will necessarily make you feel any better but I am having similar results on my N10j.

I've tried most of the various builds and haven't had any luck yet either. I'm open to suggestions or bouncing ideas back and forth if you want Shadow... I'm sort of surprised that there isn't more discussion about this machine. Maybe in time...

What method / build are you concentrating on using?

My *guess* is right now that there are some very specific PCI vendor and device IDs that the N10 uses that aren't in any of the kexts packaged with the various builds. That's a guess at best but the hardware seems to be mostly common with a couple of other netbooks that people seem to have running (wind, aspire one, etc.).

I haven't had a chance to try iDeneb yet but I believe you have with no joy.

I plan on taking a look through one of the builds (haven't decided which yet) to see what type of drivers are packaged / included. Hoping it's not a lack of BIOS functionality that's causing it...

Would love to see this machine working!!!

Cheers.

ShadowBandit

ShadowBandit

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
Riker, atleast now i know i am not the only one..... I was mostly focusing on the Boot132 bc you could compile your own kext but i dont have a hackintosh right now :D the one i gave to my kid sis is windows notebook again.

Hughson: i have been meaning to try this method but like i said i need to see if i can aquire her notebook for a couple of days without it being an issue lol.... I was not aware that an HD could cause a problem with the install. If this is the case i am actually swapping my HD in the next couple of days to a Seagate Momentus 7200.3 which i read alot of people use for macbooks?

Thanks for the input guys I feel like someone will have osx installed soon :D

Riker2k

Riker2k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, sounds like we're both in the same boat and I'm willing to give it a go. Better when you aren't in it alone! :)

@Hughson: Read your post and I'm still sort of new to the Hackintosh scene so I think I understand what you are saying to do. Problem is I don't have a spare, working hackintosh laying around - this was sort of my first go. I do have a Macbook but I don't think that will do the job will it?

I'm also surprised that it's possible for it to be hanging because of the drive but I guess anything's possible and I certainly can't say any different since I have little to no experience with Hackintosh. :blink:

On the hard drive side, I happen to have a spare 320GB 7200.3 Momentus drive laying around. I'll snap it in and see if we have joy on any of the builds. If only it was that simple! *Crosses fingers, toes and various other appendages* :P

hughson

hughson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Probably swapping the drive with another would not do the trick. My hope was to avoid your ACPI error by booting from a USB drive.

I know the goal is to get a native install but you should also try and see if you can get it running in vmware. (in the olding days I would try and see if I could get O x running in vmware first. I stop doing this when leopard came out, because leopard was harder to get running in vmware than doing a native install.)

I guess there in no bios option to disable ACPI on n10j?

maybe installing OSX86 to usb drive through a real intel mac than using the boot-123 method to boot up the USB drive.
Actually that sounds like a fun idea I'll try that on Friday and see if it boots on the aspire one.

- little off topic but since I'm probably going to order my n10 in about 2 weeks, beside the OS X headaches- are you guys happy with the n10? how does it run XP? have you open it up-Is it easy to get to the RAM, Hard Drive. hows the screen and keyboard ?

ShadowBandit

ShadowBandit

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
I thought so on the ACPI which sux.... :( but i wonder if all the other little netbooks have the same chipsets wouldnt it make it impossible for them to install as well? i mean maybe they have a cooler bios than we do lol.

Hughson: My N10 is great and if you want to see pictures of its guts check out this forum..... http://www.n10user.com I have a couple of stickys on there, one for pictures of the N10's insides, and one for overclocking the Atom.....

If you figure this OSX thing out let me know! hahah

BTW: i tried to install via VMware and no dice either... using kalyway 10.5.2, Ideneb v1.3, and native install.... I might have not done something right there though. I know i installed Kalyway via VMware in the past with a compaq, but then it would not boot once i restarted the computer :unsure: it would give me the waiting for boot device error.... which i think was another acpi error lol.

Riker2k

Riker2k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Guys,

Well, not much new or exciting to add but I swapped out hard drives last night and no difference there.

I did notice that it appears that the installers react competely differently based on the Video card that is selected. If I boot with the Intel 945 set then I always get the boot-uuid prompt. If I boot with the Nvidia9300 set then it seems to always hang around detecting the touchpad.

Not sure why that is?

I also discovered that if you leave the SATA mode set to Enhanced it seems to create some issues (at least with my DVD drive) that cause the drive to encounter issues reading the DVDs / Install discs. In one case the hard drive light stayed on solid after it hung (believe that was using 132 method).

So far no joy. Seems like it may be related to the BIOS...

Can't believe that it would work on the 1000h but not on this. Hardware is pretty close.

I haven't had a chance to try out the VMWare suggestion or building it on a USB disk with another hackintosh. That may take some more time as I need to find another machine to do that with.

Not even sure I'd know where to start on building a hackintosh on a USB disk under my Macbook.

Hughson - I like mine very much so far. The included hard disk is a little slow for my liking which is why I grabbed a 7200.3. Not sure how the battery life will be impacted yet but I'll let you know on that front. Checked out the site that Shadow recommended, there's some good stuff over there, including oc'ing this little beast! Can't wait to give that a go.

BTW, as I was searching through the forums last nite I noticed some people complaining about ACPI errors and they got around them by going back to old ACPI kexts from Tiger. Wonder if that's worth a try?

derkie

derkie

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Have you tried iAtkos 1.4? Or Jas Osx client/server 10.5.4?
Bye B.

ShadowBandit

ShadowBandit

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
Riker, yea the OCing is me :whistle: im "user" Rich in that forum. I Actually installed windows 7 Beta on it and it runs smoother than Vista Takes up 600mb or RAM vs, close to 1Gig in Vista.... I would love to see OSX on this machine but unfortunately i am pretty sure that the problem is Bios Related and ACPI being one of the issues.... I found a modded bios that i installed a while back that was to trick the OSX install with the dual CPU issue which is bc of the Hyper threading. I did not notice a diff when i installed the modded bios.... but if you'd like to try it by all means :) it was made be Kaylb?

I mean this machine is like missing link between netbook and notebook, and once OCed performs like a notebook! when left alone performs like a netbook with a lil extra oomph :(

derkie, I have not tried either of those, so i will download em and give them a go see what whappens :) thanks for the input.

Alex DeWolf

Alex DeWolf

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
bump

Riker2k

Riker2k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi folks,

Well, I can save you the time on the iAtkos front. Tried that one (mostly because you hadn't) and it doesn't work either. ;)

I'm really starting to agree that it's BIOS related and since I lack BIOS mod skills I think I've about hit the wall with it.

I did install Kabyl's BIOS, I actually had to just to get as far as you. Wonder if Kabyl is up for a full custom BIOS mod for this? I'm thinking I'd start by comparing the e1000h BIOS to this one and see what the differences are. I'm oversimplifying a bit, but...

Anyhow, I did check the other forum. Good stuff, I created an account, expect I'll see you there too!

Is anyone else working on this???

This machine has potential...

ShadowBandit

ShadowBandit

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
yea I need to get a hold of my sis computer, and on n10user i am "Rich"

someone find a solution! :)

Alex DeWolf

Alex DeWolf

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
bump

Alex DeWolf

Alex DeWolf

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
Bump

ShadowBandit

ShadowBandit

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
bump...

Alex DeWolf

Alex DeWolf

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
bump

themyers

themyers

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I think we are the only folks that want to see OSX on this machine? I've tried everything to get this done. I love this machine, but might have to just get a macbook lol. It is weird that no one but us are no slaving away to get Mac OS on the machine.

Alex DeWolf

Alex DeWolf

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
bump

AEZ2007

AEZ2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

I think we are the only folks that want to see OSX on this machine? I've tried everything to get this done. I love this machine, but might have to just get a macbook lol. It is weird that no one but us are no slaving away to get Mac OS on the machine.

No, you are not alone :) .

Better yet, I am finishing up a 10.5.4 Install on this system. It CAN be done.

The kickers/blockers were the following:

*You do need those patched bios from OSROM.net.
*You can (although it isn't obvious where) turn off hardware in BIOS, it's just in a strange spot (Security->I/O Interface Security).
*YOU HAVE TO TURN OFF USB...this is the catch.
Why? It is the bad hardware blocking OS X from finding root. Good news is It is the ONLY one I have had to turn off (left on Audio, LAN, WLAN). You can toggle it on off in BIOS, so for other OSes then OSX86, you might want to dip in there and turn it back on. My plan is to use the ExpressCard slot and my eSATA ExpressCard/34 chip to get to my external HDs. You probably could also get back to USB by adding in an ExpressCard/34 USB driver, but I'm not sure on that.
*Because you have to turn off USB, what I did was get the MSI Wind optimized OS X 10.5.4 DVD image off TPB, get my other hack, mount it, and dd a flat image of just the installer part (there are two partitions, you want the large one) then dd that from ubuntu to a spare HD partition on the N10, and install chameleon from inside of Linux by copying /boot and dd'ing boot1h.

Then, I could boot into the installer environment. Install will finish soon, but I don't see a reason this won't let me into a HD based install since it let me into a clone of the DVD (i.e. it can boot the installer code off the HD) just fine.

I got all the Linux parts of this done with Ubuntu 8.10, which I would highly recommend for this system also, as it can natively use the NVIDIA or Intel GFX, and the Sound, WLAN, LAN, etc. work.

More to come as I finish the install and find out more--lets hope that the recent MacBook KEXTs which support NVIDIA 9300M let us use that video card in this little beauty.

Stay tuned.

I will post more detailed instructions as I get it all working. :(

Cheers,

aez2007

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy