ATI ATA Controller (PATA/SATA)

~Eureka

43 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank You, This driver works great with my SB400 chipset. My sata drives worked fine before with the appleviaata driver. It's the two dvd drives on the pata bus that woudn't always be recognised. My sata is device id 0x43791002 and the pata drives 0x43761002. What was interesting is on the IPC OSx86 Leopard 10.5.6 beta DVD the Appleviaata driver also had the device ID of 0x43721002 which is my IXP SB400 SMBus Controller. This stopped the IOKitWaitQuiet timeout and my boot time changed from 65 seconds to only 20 seconds. This was very exciting at first, but no way to get my dvd drives to work. This also stopped me from booting off of the IPC OSx86 install dvd. I was hopeing that this new ATI ATA controller driver would let me have my cake and eat it too. I had the best driver for my chipset but still had the IOKitWaitQuiet timeout and 65 second boot time. Then I found this InsanelyMac Link in this forum section. Used the second download link of the patched IOATAFamily.kext. This kext shortens the search it takes when looking for ATA devices. Now with this driver and the patched IOATAFamily.kext driver my ATA hardware works great.

Thank You,

Chun-Nan for ATI SBxx ATA SATA/PATA Driver and ar4er for (IOATAFamily.kext patch)

• 2 weeks later...

Try setting it in AHCI mode if available and SATA ports might work. For IDE ports you will still need to add the SB750 device id to the plist and hope the kext works with those ones too. If you need help doing that find out pciutils here on the board and post the output of lspci -nn command.

Hi, my southbridge is ATI SB600 i have SATA HDD

00:12.0 IDE interface [0101]: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 Non-Raid-5 SATA [1002:4380]

and IDE DVD

[00:14.1 IDE interface [0101]: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 IDE [1002:438c]

SATA HDD working but IDE DVD no :) Why ??

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I have solved the problem.you should delete not only AppleVIAATA but also AppleGenericPCATA and AppleOnboardPCATA.Then install the driver,it will works well.

I can't find any AppleGenericPCATA or AppleOnboardPCATA kexts in my extensions folder. I deleted AppleVIAATA. Is there any reason why I can't find the others?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
[KNOWN ISSUES] 1. PATA devices may not show up on some machines. Still looking for the reason and solution.

any update on this - i am running a gigabyte board with amd phenom x4 and ati/ amd sb 700/sb800

00:14.1 IDE interface [0101]: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 IDE Controller [1002:439c]

thanks

• 2 months later...
any update on this - i am running a gigabyte board with amd phenom x4 and ati/ amd sb 700/sb800

00:14.1 IDE interface [0101]: ATI Technologies Inc SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 IDE Controller [1002:439c]

thanks

I know I'm bringing it back from the dead, but I'm in the same boat with a "waiting for root device" error on boot.

I know I'm bringing it back from the dead, but I'm in the same boat with a "waiting for root device" error on boot.

What kext are you using?

Because by some kexts you have to connect the hdd to port 1 of your s-ata.