ATI ATA Controller (PATA/SATA)

~Eureka

43 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Here is the AppleATIATA-6 I have revised. It is based on AppleVIAATA-6 and AppleOnboardPCATA-2 source code. It supports ATI pata/sata chipsets. I have tested it on the Acer Extensa 4420-5239 (with SB600) and Toshiba Satellite U405D (with SB700). Both PATA and SATA devices are working.

In addition, AppleVIAATA and AppleOnboardPCATA should be removed or at least ATI ID inside of it to avoid conflicts. If your devices are on the following list, you can give it a try.

Chun-Nan

P.S. I have not tested this driver under Tiger, but it should work.

/*

* Supported devices.

*/

#define ATA_ATI_ID 0x1002

#define ATA_ATI_IXP200 0x43491002

#define ATA_ATI_IXP300 0x43691002

#define ATA_ATI_IXP300_S1 0x436e1002

#define ATA_ATI_IXP400 0x43761002

#define ATA_ATI_IXP400_S1 0x43791002

#define ATA_ATI_IXP400_S2 0x437a1002

#define ATA_ATI_IXP600 0x438c1002

#define ATA_ATI_IXP600_S1 0x43801002

#define ATA_ATI_IXP700 0x439c1002

#define ATA_ATI_IXP700_S1 0x43901002

[KNOWN ISSUES]

1. PATA devices may not show up on some machines. Still looking for the reason and solution.

==========

Source code: AppleATIATA_6.zip

==========

Update: 10/15/2008

1. Complied under Tiger and it should work both with Tiger and Leopard.

2. Replaced "createChannelCommands" with codes from AppleIntelPIIXPATA.

AppleATIATA_6.zip

Thanks a lot ~Eureka for your kext. My SATA drives seem to be working fine and I am yet to test the PATA port. I am using an ASUS M3A78-EM board which has the SB700 chipset and matches to your list of supported devices id.

Could you also please tell if there can be any issues like data corruption or damage on using this kext or is this Stable without any performance issues.

Thanks a lot

Ankit 

how do i install?

First it would be better to install leopard on your Sata HDD by setting SATA to AHCI mode. Then from within leopard use kext helper to install the sb700 kext and then reboot and set the sata to normal sata ide mode.

Hi Chun-Nan,

From Windows OS I got these I/O values for the PATA DVD device:

I/O Port	0x000001F0-0x000001F7
I/O Port	0x000003F6-0x000003F6

Can you compile the kext for me putting the 0x000001F* values too?

BTW I would like to know what lines do you edit for this purpose. It's the AppleATIATAChannel.cpp file?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Test on MB Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H and LawlessPPC updated to 10.5.5:

2 SATA HDD in Native IDE mode works

DVD-RW IDE Master works and boot from install DVD with this kexts too.

;)

I've installed in my K9AGM3-FIH and iDeneb 10.5.5. At first it's look to be all ok.

But, for example, when I put a Leopard DVD into the drive and loads, you could see only the PC files (aprox. 6 files) and non the content of Mac DVD. The worse thing became when i've tried to eject the DVD. It never happens.

I've tried the kext of this post. It's working better than AppleVIAATA cause' it actually recognize my DVD IDE drive.

If somebody figure it out how can I solve this problema, I'll appreciate it!

Thankss

contents of mac dvds are hidden. you should only be able to see those ones. As far as ejecting, try hitting your f12 key, or use the button on the top corner of your screen.

It's not working for me. The only solution was to use AppleOnboardPCATA.kext

Thanks anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone post some instructions on how to ADD this Kext into an Install DVD?

I have a Dell Latitude XT which apparently has an ATA-6 HDD which refuses to be recognized by the Installer's Disk Utility. (I've already partitioned the drive into FAT32 and HFS+ and no go)

Thank You

Try setting the correct permissons or install the kexts via kexthelper or osx86tools

Update: 10/15/2008 was downloaded and tested on 10.5.5

it's working very good, however can't manage to keep it loading for each time without enforcing .kext's rescan (flag -f)

~Eureka

I've tried this kext a few times on a Dell Latitude XT (SB600, 0x438c1002, PATA HD ) but it doesn't seem to work. (I'm booting from a USB HD).

Would you like me to upload some ioreg, dmesg or systemlogs or whatever? I also have Windows (XP,Vista, Win7), Kubuntu, PCLinuxOS and a half working install of FreeBSD on the XT itself if you'd like any logs or hardware information from those.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...