Internal Mic (and External Mic) working for Gateway Laptops using Stac 9205 (reported working with Vostro and other DELLs)

xbc

83 posts in this topic

I currently have no time to fix the low mic since I am swamped for the next two weeks, after I will put some more research into this since I too would like to see the slider on the mic.

hi xbc,

if you have time, please help me for make a working kext for dell d630 laptop. :P

i not have enaught experience for your guide :wacko:

dump from ubuntu attached

jack mic, =your machine, work perfecly :D

Node 0x0b [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x400181: Stereo
 Pincap 0x081737: IN OUT Detect Trigger ImpSense
Vref caps: HIZ 50 GRD 80
 Pin Default 0x03a11020: [Jack] Mic at Ext Left
Conn = 1/8, Color = Black
DefAssociation = 0x2, Sequence = 0x0
 Pin-ctls: 0x24: IN VREF_80
 Unsolicited: tag=00, enabled=0
 Connection: 2
 0x10* 0x11

internal mic

Node 0x0c [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x400181: Stereo
 Pincap 0x081737: IN OUT Detect Trigger ImpSense
 Pin Default 0x90a70330: [Fixed] Mic at Int N/A
Conn = Analog, Color = Unknown
DefAssociation = 0x3, Sequence = 0x0
Misc = NO_PRESENCE
 Pin-ctls: 0x24: IN VREF_80
 Connection: 1
 0x11

tnx in advance :)

theSLug

EDIT: i have changed your 23 to my 12 in contents/info.plist, now mic is correctly recognized by the system, but no input... probably for low volume?

EDIT2: also tried Chrysaor kext modified with 12.. is not a boost problem IMHO :)

help xbc!!! :)

9205test.txt

I'm trying to get the internal mic working on an Inspiron 1525 with the Sigmatel 9228, and hoped that something along this lines might work. Like in your codec, the Pin Complex for the Mic doesn't appear as one of the connections I follow. Here is my codec (using Puppy Linux): codec2.txt

The Dell Post-Installer Sigmatel 9228 kext, which gives me more or less everything except for the inputs, has the following nodes for the first PathMapRef: 7 27 24 21 14 (which makes sense to me for the line in, which I haven't been able to test).

Following your suggestion, I've tried changing it to each of the following without success:

7 27 24 21 19

7 27 24 19

7 27 19

8 28 25 22 19

8 28 25 19

8 28 19

9 29 26 23 19

9 29 26 19

9 29 19

Any other suggestions? Anything else in the kext that might be relevant aside from just those node ids? Thanks for any ideas you might have...

hello! man, i'm just install AtkosV4i and update to leopard 10.5.5 on my Lenovo3000 410 serie laptop.

this is my spec

cpu: intel core2 duo 1.66 ghz

ram: 2 gb

Hdd: 2 gb

vga: intel x3100

wireless: intel pro wireless 10/100 3945abg

ethernet: broadcom 590x fast link ethernet

sound: realtek high definition audio

camera: sonix company

my problem is wireless, ethernet, sound,camera didn't work, so i need help. does anybody use the same machine like mine?

xbc: I tried 7 27 19 and this is what I got. Strangely enough, when I rebooted and tested the mic it gave me a constant clicking sound. Then when I changed the settings it died. Also when I selected the second internal mic as the default source and changed the properties of the first internal mic to 2 channel 20 bit or 24 bit then only do I get the full power sign in the sys pref otherwise none is any other combination. Am puzzled..... any ideas?

pic below

picture2pr4.th.pngthpix.gif

I don't have the same machine as you but the same wireless card and those drivers are still under development.

hello! man, i'm just install AtkosV4i and update to leopard 10.5.5 on my Lenovo3000 410 serie laptop.

this is my spec

cpu: intel core2 duo 1.66 ghz

ram: 2 gb

Hdd: 2 gb

vga: intel x3100

wireless: intel pro wireless 10/100 3945abg

ethernet: broadcom 590x fast link ethernet

sound: realtek high definition audio

camera: sonix company

my problem is wireless, ethernet, sound,camera didn't work, so i need help. does anybody use the same machine like mine?

Hi guys, I have a Sigmatel 9228.

Observing my linux dump I could find that there is a pattern defining the external microphone.

See how it works:

In the end of node 7 has a reference to the node 27;

In the end of node 27 has a reference to the node 24;

In the end of node 24 has a reference to the node 21;

and at last the node 21 has a reference to the node 14.

Look at the end of each node under Connection:

Node 7 [Audio Input] wcaps 1901889: Stereo
 Converter: stream=0, channel=0
 SDI-Select: 0
 Power: setting=D0, actual=D0
 Delay: 13 samples
 Processing caps: benign=0, ncoeff=0

Node 14 [Pin Complex] wcaps 4194689: Stereo
 Pincap 530231: IN OUT Detect Trigger ImpSense
 Pin Default 44536112: [Jack] Mic at Ext Front
   Conn = Analog, Color = Pink
   DefAssociation = 3, Sequence = 0
   Misc = NO_PRESENCE
 Pin-ctls: 36: IN VREF_80

Node 21 [Audio Selector] wcaps 3145997: Stereo Amp-Out
 Amp-Out caps: ofs=0, nsteps=4, stepsize=39, mute=0
 Amp-Out vals:  [0 0]
 Connection: 9
    14 18 15 11 12* 13 10 16 17

Node 24 [Audio Selector] wcaps 3145987: Stereo Amp-In
 Amp-In caps: N/A
 Amp-In vals:  [0 0]

Node 27 [Audio Selector] wcaps 3148045: Stereo Amp-Out R/L
 Amp-Out caps: ofs=0, nsteps=0, stepsize=0, mute=1
 Amp-Out vals:  [0 0]
 Connection: 3
    24* 19 20

Just for the record, this is exactly how things are defined on the Info.plist on mine AppleHDA.kext.

So, now I'm trying to find a similar pattern for the internal microphone.

Continue...

Based on my last post, I have found that there is some kind of empty slot on nodes 8 and 9 doing the same trick, according to my dump.

Node 8 references 28, which references 25, referencing 22, and then to... 14! And the same works for the node 9: 29, 26, 23, 14.

Well, kind of. I need (at least I think) a 12 or a 19 (I'll get to those numbers shortly), and I have there a 12, if you look to the

dump on the node 22 you'll find "14 18 15 11 12* 13 10 16 17". It has a 12, with this * that I don't know what means.

Now, let me show what I've found on my dump concerning directly to the internal microphone:

Node 12 [Pin Complex] wcaps 4194689: Stereo
 Pincap 530231: IN OUT Detect Trigger ImpSense
 Pin Default 2426900784: [Fixed] Mic at Int N/A
   Conn = Analog, Color = Pink
   DefAssociation = 3, Sequence = 0
   Misc = NO_PRESENCE
 Pin-ctls: 36: IN VREF_80
 Unsolicited: tag=30, enabled=1

Node 19 [Pin Complex] wcaps 4194305: Stereo
 Pincap 2080: IN
 Pin Default 2426798144: [Fixed] Mic at Int N/A
   Conn = Digital, Color = Unknown
   DefAssociation = 4, Sequence = 0
 Pin-ctls: 32: IN

Yes, I know, 2 nodes to the internal mic! (The external microphone has only one, posted above)

Since I had no idea on which one I should use I tryied to use these "empty" slots adding a 12 or a 19 in the last part.

I tryied a few combinations of those.

A new item on the Input under Sound was found in all of my attempts. I one or two of them, both items worked for the external mic - please

don't ask me why (if I recall well I was using the node 19) - at the rest the external worked fine and the new item didn't work at all.

Well, this is what I got up til now. I thought posting it here someone could help me figure that out.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys...so you all are working with microphones and it seems like you guys know about this much more than me....i have a dell xps m140 with 10.5.1 running on it. The soundcard i have is sigmatel 9200 i have all the audios working except my inputs...meaning if i plug a pair of headphones or microphone in its appropriate jack nothing would happen...but i do have sound. i also have a usb camera...logitech quickcam for notebooks and its working perfectly with macam and then ichatusbcam for ichat. so now my usb camera is working with its builtin microphone for skype. but for ichat only the camera works and the builtin microphone is not recognize...but without ichatusbcam the program the builtin microphone is recognized... which puzzles me. so now i think i want to get the microphone jack on my laptop working so i could just plug a microphone in...or if any of you are experienced in ichat and can give me some tips on how to get the usb cam mic working that would be great...THANKS

• 3 weeks later...
I currently have no time to fix the low mic since I am swamped for the next two weeks, after I will put some more research into this since I too would like to see the slider on the mic.

Can you please tell me where do those number belong?

I´m trying to fix internal mic and automatic switch for stac9228 on an inspiron 1420. I´ve found the pathmaps in the Info.plist, and there are also some XML files in resources inside AppleHDA.kext folder.

If you (or anyone) could take just a few minutes to explain this to me i have some time to find a solution.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the nodes figured out for the int mic and can also get the system to recognize it but can't get it to work. I am attaching the pin map diagram built using codecgraph . The correct pin layout (I think so!!) is 8 28 19. If anyone gets ideas itll be nice...

codec2tx3.th.jpg

The modded kext is attached below... it it modeled on XBC'c kext.... thanks

AppleHDA_Stac9228_int_mic_mod_xbc.zip

Talisman, how is it coming? I've been trying to mess around with the AppleHDA.kext and get the internal mic working on my Inspiron 1525 but no dice.

I would like an explanaiton of where those numbers belong. I'll be pleased to play arround till i find a solution to stac9228 on an inspiron 1420, but i cannot figure it out without a little/tiny explanation.

Please, it won't be a waste of time, i have the skills, i have some time, i just need some info.

I have the nodes figured out for the int mic and can also get the system to recognize it but can't get it to work. I am attaching the pin map diagram built using codecgraph . The correct pin layout (I think so!!) is 8 28 19. If anyone gets ideas itll be nice...

codec2tx3.th.jpg

The modded kext is attached below... it it modeled on XBC'c kext.... thanks

AppleHDA_Stac9228_int_mic_mod_xbc.zip

Talisman and everyone else on the quest for the internal mic, I've got it working! but, the mic jack doesnt work now and one you plug in a mic into the mic jack the internal mic stops working. On startup the internal mic works, you'll probably have to adjust "boost" because currently I believe it is set too high. I was trying to get auto switching working on the mic but I have yet to get it. I also added auto switching to the headphone port but I couldn't get it to switch to the middle port. Please help out everyone who can, this is for a Dell Inspiron 1525.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

I would like an explanaiton of where those numbers belong. I'll be pleased to play arround till i find a solution to stac9228 on an inspiron 1420, but i cannot figure it out without a little/tiny explanation.

Please, it won't be a waste of time, i have the skills, i have some time, i just need some info.

The numbers refer to the nodes which are listed in the Info.plist of the kext. You have to read the nodes backwards, ie, the node numbers in the map go from right to left in the graph and top to bottom in the plist. If you look carefully at the graph you will find it self explanatory, the boxes and circles are named according to their functions. Everything is in hex. Just compare the graph to the node values in the Info.plist in the kext and things will become clear.

I am not working on this kext now as I don't really have too much time but might do so over the holidays.... Thanks for the help

Talisman and everyone else on the quest for the internal mic, I've got it working! but, the mic jack doesnt work now and one you plug in a mic into the mic jack the internal mic stops working. On startup the internal mic works, you'll probably have to adjust "boost" because currently I believe it is set too high. I was trying to get auto switching working on the mic but I have yet to get it. I also added auto switching to the headphone port but I couldn't get it to switch to the middle port. Please help out everyone who can, this is for a Dell Inspiron 1525.

Good Job!!... Can you give me the pathmap for the int mic or, better still, if you have the codecgraph generated graph. And what sound card do you have?? 9228 or 9205?? Thanks

ps. I would have guessed the pathmap from your Info.plist but you seem to have deleted all comments and I cannot guess which section refers to which device....

The numbers refer to the nodes which are listed in the Info.plist of the kext. You have to read the nodes backwards, ie, the node numbers in the map go from right to left in the graph and top to bottom in the plist. If you look carefully at the graph you will find it self explanatory, the boxes and circles are named according to their functions. Everything is in hex. Just compare the graph to the node values in the Info.plist in the kext and things will become clear.

I am not working on this kext now as I don't really have too much time but might do so over the holidays.... Thanks for the help

Good Job!!... Can you give me the pathmap for the int mic or, better still, if you have the codecgraph generated graph. And what sound card do you have?? 9228 or 9205?? Thanks

ps. I would have guessed the pathmap from your Info.plist but you seem to have deleted all comments and I cannot guess which section refers to which device....

I actually used your codecgraph and the pathmap for the internal mic is the one ending with NodeID 12 the external being the one ending in 14.

I actually dont have any comments because first off I don't know how to add comments and I continually altered the AppleHDA.kext manually and didn't use a codec. My computer says I have a 9205 but 9228 is what works... I have a Dell Inspiron 1525. I sort of did this whole thing in an unconventional manner so it might be a little strange.

By altering the pin configurations I got it to recognize the mic port as well without killing the internal mic once you unplug it. The one problem is that the mic port shows up as internal mic and no matter what I've tried I can't seem to change it. The other problem still being that I cant get it to auto-switch to the middle headphone port.

If you can mess around with it and get it to be recognized as the external mic that'd be amazing and if you could get the auto-switching working that'd be good too.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

I actually used your codecgraph and the pathmap for the internal mic is the one ending with NodeID 12 the external being the one ending in 14.

I actually dont have any comments because first off I don't know how to add comments and I continually altered the AppleHDA.kext manually and didn't use a codec. My computer says I have a 9205 but 9228 is what works... I have a Dell Inspiron 1525. I sort of did this whole thing in an unconventional manner so it might be a little strange.

By altering the pin configurations I got it to recognize the mic port as well without killing the internal mic once you unplug it. The one problem is that the mic port shows up as internal mic and no matter what I've tried I can't seem to change it. The other problem still being that I cant get it to auto-switch to the middle headphone port.

If you can mess around with it and get it to be recognized as the external mic that'd be amazing and if you could get the auto-switching working that'd be good too.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Let me get this clear....

I do agree that the external mic is at 14(0x0e) but 12(0x0c) is marked as "Other at External N/A". What I knew is that the internal mic is port 19(0x13) which you will find somewhere in the middle of the graph.

And why did you make modifications to the verb and what modifications did you make??

I will try your path, even if I am not fully convinced.... as soon as I get the clarification from you (Am feeling too lazy to code tonight!!)

Thanks

By the way you can add comments by <!-- your comment -->

See that's what I saw but I saw on someone's codec who had a sigmatel 9228 that Node 12 was also an internal mic which puzzled me because I didn't see that on the codecgraph but sure enough it did work once I tried it. my AppleHDA.kext has the path. I've tried 19 soo many times and ways and I never got it working. so i gave up on 19. I changed the verb data so it would recognize the internal mic as an internal mic. if you follow this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127819 you could see how to edit verb data.

See that's what I saw but I saw on someone's codec who had a sigmatel 9228 that Node 12 was also an internal mic which puzzled me because I didn't see that on the codecgraph but sure enough it did work once I tried it. my AppleHDA.kext has the path. I've tried 19 soo many times and ways and I never got it working. so i gave up on 19. I changed the verb data so it would recognize the internal mic as an internal mic. if you follow this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=127819 you could see how to edit verb data.

The only problem is that in the M1530, we had to delete the ConfigData to make the AppleHDA work consistently even after a reboot. Which means that not only do I have to put back the configdata but also figure out a way to do it so that it doesn't stop the sound from working.

Thanks for all the info. I will soon have a look into this.