Internal Mic (and External Mic) working for Gateway Laptops using Stac 9205 (reported working with Vostro and other DELLs)

xbc

83 posts in this topic

Working solution. On a Gateway M6843 and maybe similar models

After the autopatcher didn't work with linux codec dump. I started playing with a working AppleHDA.kext I found in the forums. The problem is that my internal mic was not working. I really do not like the idea of having to carry around extra hardware just to use skype. So I started playing with the plist configuration. After many, and let me stress the word MANY attempts, I got a working solution. I am posting the solution to give back to this community. I hope this helps you as it helps me.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

As it is it is not auto switching. This means you get two inputs, one for the external and one for the internal mic. Maybe I will figure this out later, but this isn't such a priority as getting the internal mic working. Also the method I used might work with other Sigmatel 9205 so fell free to post your dumps, and maybe I can help out.

Another tip. To get your Gateway 2.0 USB camera working, download Camtwist. It doesn't work for Ichat, but it works for flash, skype, yahoo, adium, photoboot.

I just hopes that this one works with my Sigmatel STAC9205x. I ve been trying lots of kexts and codec dumps and they aint working. Problem is the AppleHDA Patcher aint even doing the patching. It starts and a point it simply stops and just stays there.

Should i just install the APPLEHDA.kext with Kext helper? Do I need to do anything further?

Well, I have installed your kext on my Gateway M-6843 and still, no sound yet. I am gonna try a reinstallation of the MAC OSX86 with Kalyway 10.5.2. Maybe that will fix it. cos I am on 10.5.3 at the moment.

Very Simple I looked at the codec from my linux dump for this section

Node 0x0b [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x400181: Stereo
 Pincap 0x081737: IN OUT Detect Trigger ImpSense
Vref caps: HIZ 50 GRD 80
 Pin Default 0x03a11020: [Jack] Mic at Ext Left
Conn = 1/8, Color = Black
DefAssociation = 0x2, Sequence = 0x0
 Pin-ctls: 0x24: IN VREF_80
 Unsolicited: tag=00, enabled=0
 Connection: 2
 0x10* 0x11

Node 0x17 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x400001: Stereo
 Pincap 0x0820: IN
 Pin Default 0x90a6012e:  [Fixed] Mic at Int N/A
Conn = Digital, Color = Unknown
DefAssociation = 0x2, Sequence = 0xe
Misc = NO_PRESENCE
 Pin-ctls: 0x20: IN

That told me that the internal mic was at node 0x17 (converts to 23 decimal) and the external was at node 0x0b (converts to 11 decimal). I noticed that if I swap the pin it would still get detected but it wouldn't work. I figured that the external mic was nodes 18 29 27 25 11 or 19 30 28 26 11. If I put 23 at the end to swap the pin it would not work so after some attempts I figured that 18 29 23 would work. So I left it at that. Any other pin would give me internal device not detected.

In summary if you get device not detected, look at your codec dump where it looks like the second one, get the pin number (my case 0x17) convert it from hex to decimal (my case 0x17 to decimal is 23) and proceed to edit in the plist in the AppleHDA.kext. Basically change my 23 to whatever you pin is and it should work.

@micron and for other people that is not working, or loading. You still need an injector (ALCInject, from tarugas patcher, or and EFI string, or HDA enabler) for it to work. I myself use an EFI string added by EFIStudio.

what does it say in the sound control panel? There should be to mics detected? Or do you still get device unknown?

Maybe trying 7 27 19, or maybe it needs some more nodes, From the codec I couldn't follow any others.

Hello,

First, thank you for this great idea..I would like so much having my internal mic working.

I have a dell vostro 1700 with a stac 9205.

I tried your version of applehda, but I have 2 problem: Sound only working with internal speaker, when I plug headset to my computer, there is no sound, I have a barred sound icon, but it works with internal speaker.

The second problem is that there is " internal microphone" written in the preferences system, but it doesn't work: When I select It in skype, no one can hear me.

Is this possible to have internal mic working?

Can you help me please?

What can I do to help you? Do you want me to give you a dump?

Thank you very much.

On the external part, I wouldn't know since I didn't not move anything there.

On the internal mic you should be getting two mics, choose one and tap on the internal mic, if it is working great. If not delect the second mic tap the mic. If it moves great. If none give you result then it is not working for you. I tried to help another member here, but could get a solution. To make it work for my laptop I did trial an error like 25 times. Till it worked. Not having a dell to test out, would make it really difficult to test a config other than my own.

Still if I can help, I'll give it a shot

Hello,

I'm very happy...It's working.

I don't know why, but I reinstall your kext, and it's working.

I have sound with internal speaker and with external speaker, and internal mic and external mic are working.

I'm so happy.

Thank you very much for your great job.

Nicolas

After the autopatcher didn't work with linux codec dump. I started playing with a working AppleHDA.kext I found in the forums. The problem is that my internal mic was not working. I really do not like the idea of having to carry around extra hardware just to use skype. So I started playing with the plist configuration. After many, and let me stress the word MANY attempts, I got a working solution. I am posting the solution to give back to this community. I hope this helps you as it helps me.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

As it is it is not auto switching. This means you get two inputs, one for the external and one for the internal mic. Maybe I will figure this out later, but this isn't such a priority as getting the internal mic working. Also the method I used might work with other Sigmatel 9205 so fell free to post your dumps, and maybe I can help out.

Another tip. To get your Gateway 2.0 USB camera working, download Camtwist. It doesn't work for Ichat, but it works for flash, skype, yahoo, adium, photoboot.

Great job worked great on my Sigmatel 9205 Dell 1720

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Hi,

First off great kext! Nice to finally get the internal Mic working on my Gateway P-6825

One question: I don't have any input level controls--see attached pic. My Mic volume is only at 25%-- is there a way to adjust the input volume level?

Thanks for the help,

jayman30

post-187754-1224345739_thumb.jpg

Hi,

First off great kext! Nice to finally get the internal Mic working on my Gateway P-6825

One question: I don't have any input level controls--see attached pic. My Mic volume is only at 25%-- is there a way to adjust the input volume level?

Thanks for the help,

jayman30

post-187754-1224345739_thumb.jpg

Same problem here...

I haven't figure that, and the autoswitching part for the mic. I have time, I will look into it, but I am not making any promises. I anyone has an idea, that would be great. I wish taruga was back, he knew audio inside out.

WOW! Thanks again, I hadn't ever gotten Photobooth to work before--just a black screen. Photobooth now works great with CamTwist-- the only problem is that the it lags a few seconds behind the live action. Do you know how to fix this? Is there just a preference / setting I need to adjust somewhere?

Thanks,

jayman30

Nope the lag is caused because it if first going to camtwist then to photoboot. But I guess lag is better than a non working cam. Maybe someone could fix the drivers for the webcam, so it would work native. It should be able to be done as the camera IS working on camtwist.

Just tried chrysaor´s kext with mic boost on my vostro 1500. It appears that the external mic has got some boost on the new kext, but internal mic input is still set too low. I would be very glad if this could be fixed. Thanks for your awesome work. :)