How does SwitchResX work?

2 posts in this topic

Hello to all.

I was wondering if anyone knows the approach that is applied on SwitchResX to alter the resolution, and also add custom resolutions.

Obviously SwitchResX doesn't use the "Graphics Mode" = "..." approach (and it definitely doesn't work for my 1440x900 resolution).

So i wanted someone to point me to the right direction in order to study how it is done.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Apologies to response to ancient post but I'm also looking for the answer.

Switchresx's own documentation makes reference to files it alters in /System/Library/Displays/Override, even going so far as to suggest that you can sort the files there by date to determine which file was altered.

But having installed Switchresx and created a custom resolution (that works!), none of the files there have a modified date of today.

If anyone can shed light I'm sure many people would be very grateful. I'd rather not rely on preference pane add-ons for what is probably a superbly simple fix.

Incidentally, I hear that you can use Switchresx to define a custom resolution and then uninstall it, leaving the new profile behind. But I haven't tried.

Hope this helps someone.