NVIDIA help after 10.5.5 upgrade

thisredbox

12 posts in this topic

Installed kaly 10.5.2 -> updated to 10.5.5 via ASU = everything works great, except I think i seem to be missing graphics hardware acceleration.

Everything looks fine graphics-wise, except the menu bar at the top is no longer translucent and the screen savers either won't load or are very choppy (with every ss except flurry I get the "Can't load screen saver :Screen saver “xxxx” did not load properly. Please select another screen saver. Error: Can’t load bundle")

Anyway, I'm assuming I need to update/reinstall my graphics drivers to get accel?

Haven't done this before in osx, still on the slightly new side to osx86. So..how would I go about fixing this issue?

Chipset Model: GeForce 7600 GT

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0391

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVinjectGo 0.2.0

AMD dual core, osx 10.5.5

p.s. everything else seems to be ok after the upgrade (i.e. sound still works, wifi still works)

Do you are working with injector, EFI or simply original Kexts?

I installed Kalyway 10.5.5 updated on my PC

Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E4600 @ 2.40GHz;

GeForce 8600GT 512MB

Darwin v9.5.0

Everything works 100% except for the random freezing after I install my graphics card(using EFI Studio)

Just move your mouse (even without it being visible) that the login screen appears. And "everything" more work, QE / CI, allowing even play Age Of Empires ...

Try "EFI-Studio" or "EFI String". Try also Nvinject.kext...

Well I'm not having any freezing problems...I'm just lacking hardware acceleration i think...

I selected all of the nvidia options (for graphics) on the kalyway cd and it worked fine untill the 10.5.5 upgrade, now everything works fine accept the 3d accel...

do i need to reinstall the drivers and if so how would i go about doing that/where would i find them?

Ive looked around about upgrading the nvidia stuff, but frankly its a bit confusing. Also, i cant back anything up form 10.5.4 bc i upgraded straight to 10.5.5 from 10.5.2.

Cany anyone give me a simple and/or very step by step process to make my graphics card play nice with 10.5.5?

Ive looked around about upgrading the nvidia stuff, but frankly its a bit confusing. Also, i cant back anything up form 10.5.4 bc i upgraded straight to 10.5.5 from 10.5.2.

Cany anyone give me a simple and/or very step by step process to make my graphics card play nice with 10.5.5?

try to backup from 10.5.2, you must have a test partition always....

Try this:

Here are the steps I took to get my NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS 256MB Graphics Card with QE/CI support working in 10.5.5

1. Install NVInstaller.com's 9f23 installer making sure to select the memory size of your graphics card at startup

2. Be sure to use EFI Studio to insert your graphics card make, and ram size into the com.apple.boot.plist file.

3. Reboot without QE/CI support

4. Download from apple.com the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 and install using Pacifist.

5. Reboot with full QE/CI support!

I found this in the middle of a long long NVIDIA thread and thought it was beneficial for others. The finder of this technique got it working on a different NVIDIA card, so the possibilities for this to work with all NVIDIA cards that worked correctly in 10.5.2 are high.

Good Luck!

Try this:

QUOTE(jaye @ Oct 12 2008, 01:40 AM) post_snapback.gifHere are the steps I took to get my NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS 256MB Graphics Card with QE/CI support working in 10.5.5

1. Install NVInstaller.com's 9f23 installer making sure to select the memory size of your graphics card at startup

2. Be sure to use EFI Studio to insert your graphics card make, and ram size into the com.apple.boot.plist file.

3. Reboot without QE/CI support

4. Download from apple.com the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 and install using Pacifist.

5. Reboot with full QE/CI support!

I found this in the middle of a long long NVIDIA thread and thought it was beneficial for others. The finder of this technique got it working on a different NVIDIA card, so the possibilities for this to work with all NVIDIA cards that worked correctly in 10.5.2 are high.

Good Luck!

1. Ok, i installed nvinstallers 9f23 (im guessing this just installs, it doesnt install a program, correct? bc i didnt see any application after the install - also didnt see a place to "select the memory size of my graphics card at startup)

2. i used efistudio to insert my graphics card into the plist

3. i downloaded the graphics update and pacifist but i dont seem to be able to (or maybe i just dont know what im doing with the program?) use it to install the update, when i just try to install it without using pacifist it gets to the select a destination part of the install, and none of my disks (including my main install) are valid..."You cannot install Leopard Graphics Update on this volume. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update."...

any ideas?

Core Image: Software

Mirror: Off

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Chipset Model: Graphics by NVIDIA