User News Posting

15 posts in this topic

So I've been thinking we need to have a method for members to post news on the forum and, if its popular enough, get moved to the blog. I've seen some other sites that have something similar to this - I think it's a good idea since it'll give people a reason to post on news that they find (plus increasing the amount of news we see!) We could even have a dedicated "News Poster" Position for those interested.

Any ideas how best to go about this? What would you like to see in a program like this?

I think it's too difficult and relies on clicks to accomplish something not very significant....

I would bet most have the forums bookmarked anyway...this isn't really a news site...

anything that's serious enuf to be placed on the main page happens infrequently (xp on a macintel, server upgrade) and can be managed by only a few key people.

imho

Well, while a lot of people claim the forum as their home, quite a few check the blog on a regular basis.

And news is still a large part of what we do. I've had a lot of people ask to help out with the blog posting - thus this idea!

That's certainly the goal. ;) However, for the times when we're not making news, many of our forum users like to catch up on stories they may not have seen. In those cases, a user news system is a good idea.

I have to say it sounds a great idea, since switching to os x86, and leaving my bust ibook behind i have not visited other mac forums, and kind of miss out on whats happening in the mac world.

When you say news, do you mean mac news in general or x 86 mac news or both.

News Poster sounds fun.

Could ditch the 'blog' and go with something like virtuanews :(

WHy not just set up a forum called backpage headlines for users to post in, then an admin with access to joomla could transfer the interesting stories.

Go with the Neowin system where you empower capable and literate people to publish news articles, at the same time have a members.osx86project.org where users can "digg" or submit and vote upon each others news articles to make it to the homepage.

See I was thinking along the lines of a "backpage news" forum, which is where the news voting thing could come in. Something like a subforum of Front Page News.

How does that sound?

any scheme that allows forum members to contribute to the news sounds great. i've found jaw dropping news, hours if not minutes ;) , before anyone else, and nowhere appropriate to post it.

not that i'm a first post kinda person, but hey, "first post!", you know? it'll really spread the joy. :D

i'm sure others will be as pleased as i am that you are considering an area for user participation in that arena.