Compaq Presario C700 series hackintosh users

venerzky

47 posts in this topic

I tried to install OS X on my C700 using a Kalyway install. The install went through fine, but nothing worked including the sound and wireless.

I decided to back out of it and use the recovery DVDs that I made beforehand. The process died halfway through and now I cannot boot off of any CD or DVD. I just get the blinking cursor. Anyone run into this problem?

yes. i did came up with this problem before. it even ruined my laptop's dvd driver. finally i got to format the laptop and solved it all

Had my C700 running iDeneb 10.5.5 for the last year without any major complications.

Before the install, i replaced my cpu with an Intel Core Duo 2 (2.2ghz), put an Intel 3495 wifi driver.

time machine works perfect, resolution was at 1200x800 after install. I downloaded voodoo power management for battery function, sleep works perfect, used AzaliaAudio for onboard sound and mic (works well with my reason 4 and Logic Pro 8 applications), never ran windows on it since, and so glad i did this!

Az

• 1 month later...

this is for the atheros ar5007 wifi to workhttp://www.kexts.com/view/236-atherosar5007eg.html

and in iatkos v7 select the realtek rtl8139 ethernet driver

that is for the c799tu

also can anyone tell me if my laptop's video driver is gmax3100 or not

to update a hackintosh leopard you have update normally than put in your hackintosh distro disc again (iatkos, ideneb or whatever) and when you customize uncheck main system and bootloader. The installer will do a driver only install which will install your drivers again and make mac work again

for conexant hi def audio install voodoo hda

• 3 months later...
Question for all you other C700 owners: how does sleep work for you? Did you have to do anything to get it to work? I have a C776CA, and we all have an issue where if sleep works, on wake your CPU runs at full throttle and the OS fan control doesn't work (ie CPU fan runs at idle speed till it hits 80 degrees, then BIOS control puts it to full speed to cool down to 78). I'm wondering if any of your solutions might work for us.

Hi did you ever manage to find a fix for this? I have the exact same problem tried many different versions but can't seem to fix it.... really frustrating! and hours wasted hehe lol ;) i am now running it with ideneb 1.5 which does give me view of the temprature through genericcpu kext. ?? and advice greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

I have a Compaq C742TU:

CPU: T2330

Audio: Conexant HD Audio

Video: Intel X3100

WiFi: Atheros AR5008

LAN: ? (but works on both distros)

I tried iDeneb 10.5.7 and iAtkos 10.5.7 with mixed results.

iDeneb:

Audio, WiFi do not work.

iAtkos:

Keyboard, Trackpad and WiFi do not work (but audio does). Tried installing the Atheros driver from helpios97 (16/06/10) suggested but the airport does not pick up any signals.

I have not been able to get any post-OS install kext working on either OS.

this is for the atheros ar5007 wifi to workhttp://www.kexts.com/view/236-atherosar5007eg.html

Awww it didn't work for me...

C768LA, I already checked the model and version of the wifi module, [168c:001c], the kext didn't work

I'm testing the thermal mod ;)

Edit: The computer overheats a lot less since I did it, although temperature monitors still give the same readings for all but the harddrive, which is around 4 C less than usual. (I set it to lose 10 C ...). Guess it can't do miracles.

I also just purchased an Airlink AWLL 6075, figured my mac isn't the only place I could use it and it seems nice and cheap. Plus it specifically states in their webpage it works on OS X 10.4, 10.5 and even 10.6.

Awesome isn't it?

The Airlink 101 AWLL6075 wifi usb card just arrived, and it's tiny.

It works great, it doesn't show like an airport card though, and it uses its own software interface to manage connections which is a tad annoying, but once you're done setting stuff up you can close it.

• 3 weeks later...

Who has conquered the heat issue? and if you have how did you go about it? i read many posts with this issue but no one yet to give a real step by step guide to fix this issue.

I have no problems in getting any of the mac osx's to work old and new including leo but still have the same issue with heat. temps hit about 80C ! which is not.. good..

details with correct kexts and procedures would be a huge help for all of us with this issue. is there a possible mod to the insyde bios where we can switch the fan to run all the time?

Who has conquered the heat issue? and if you have how did you go about it? i read many posts with this issue but no one yet to give a real step by step guide to fix this issue.

I have no problems in getting any of the mac osx's to work old and new including leo but still have the same issue with heat. temps hit about 80C ! which is not.. good..

details with correct kexts and procedures would be a huge help for all of us with this issue. is there a possible mod to the insyde bios where we can switch the fan to run all the time?

At least in my computer, this happens in windows too so, I wouldn't count on a fix at all. Just clean the heat vent here and there so it overheats less

Maybe my experiences will help folks out. If not, this seems promising, but does not exactly match my experience, probably due to OS differences.

I took some online advice and turned the SATA option off in the BIOS before I began; some claim it conflicts with the video card in hackintosh systems, though I never tested the theory. I installed OS 10.6.3 on my Compaq Presario C712NR (C700 series) via iATKOS S3 V2 on a bootable disc.

Audio worked automagically for me, as did the internal microphone and embedded video (Intel GMA965 X3100) in 1024x768x32. I haven't figured out how to get 1280x800x32 yet; it doesn't show up in the Pref pane.

Initially, the AirPort worked. Then I made the mistake of turning it off, and it refused to turn back on. Found a fix:

1) Remove the AirPort from the SysPrefs > Network list via the - minus button.

2) delete /System/Library/Extensions/apple.airport.airport[something].kext Sorry, I can't remember the full name and I already emptied the trash so I can't easily look it up. The [something] was setup or config or prefs or something like that.

3) Restore the AirPort to the SysPrefs > Network list via the + plus button.

After that, turning the AirPort on and off works fine. I'm actually posting via that AirPort card now. The LED button above the keyboard always says off, but that's not important to me.

I snagged Kext Helper 7 and the Trackpad PrefPane. They do what they do fine, but what they do doesn't directly make anything work better.

My biggest remaining beef is that the keyboard and trackpad aren't working; I'm using an extra USB keyboard and mouse I had lying around. They worked during the installation process and during the bootloader (PC_EFI). The OSx86 wiki claims that the special keyboard keys for contrast and volume work out of the box; no such luck for me.

Less annoyingly, the wired Ethernet also seems not to be working, and I haven't figured out the battery icon fix yet. Donno about audio ports or modem; I don't foresee myself ever using them.

I haven't seen the overheating/fan failure issue others have complained about. My fan seems to kick on at the right times, though the thing runs warm just as it did in it's Vista, pre-hackintosh days.

I'll add more notes as things begin working. Any advice you've got would be appreciated.

Maybe my experiences will help folks out. If not, this seems promising, but does not exactly match my experience, probably due to OS differences.

I took some online advice and turned the SATA option off in the BIOS before I began; some claim it conflicts with the video card in hackintosh systems, though I never tested the theory. I installed OS 10.6.3 on my Compaq Presario C712NR (C700 series) via iATKOS S3 V2 on a bootable disc.

Can you post which options you chose for the Snow Leopard install?, I've been trying unsuccessfully

Can you post which options you chose for the Snow Leopard install?, I've been trying unsuccessfully
I just accepted whatever options were on the iATKOS S3 V2 bootable DVD. I formatted the drive as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) with the Disk Utility (in the Tools menu at the top) and chose --> and Continue whenever prompted. I did get a Kernal Panic on the first boot without the DVD, but it came along fine the second time and I haven't seen a KP since.

The difference between your experience and mine could be OS version, iATKOS version, exact Presario model, or BIOS settings. Mine were 10.6.3 : S3 V2 : C712NR. How do your numbers compare? Did you disable the SATA item under System Configuration in the BIOS? And the DVD booted fine?

the DVD booted fine, mine's a C768LA, used the same iAtkos DVD, but I changed a couple options.

I guess I should've just left it with the regular options; I had to move so much with iAtkos v5i I didn't think not customizing was an option haha. I'll try some other time thanks for the tip

I guess I should've noticed your model number from your signature. I donno if the tip will help any, but I've got my fingers crossed for ya.

In my own struggles, I found a promising lead on that keyboard/trackpad issue. I'm having trouble getting into safe mode. I tried pressing shift during bootup (both on the laptop keyboard and external USB keyboard) and used Onyx to try to force a safe mode boot. Maybe my bootloader (PC_EFI) is getting in the way, but I sorta need it in order to boot.

While the OS is running, there is not /etc/rc There is an /etc/rc.common and an /etc/rc.netboot The netboot one looks a little like how they describe it, but modifying it and rebooting seems to have done nothing. rc.common doesn't look like what they describe. Can someone who understands what they're doing help me out?

It bothers me a little that the BIOS, Bootloader, and iATKOS installer all see my keyboard/trackpad just fine. Why can these much smaller systems find my devices whereas the big, elaborate OS cannot!? It defies sense.

• 4 weeks later...

Audio worked automagically for me, as did the internal microphone and embedded video (Intel GMA965 X3100) in 1024x768x32. I haven't figured out how to get 1280x800x32 yet; it doesn't show up in the Pref pane.

Initially, the AirPort worked. Then I made the mistake of turning it off, and it refused to turn back on. Found a fix:

1) Remove the AirPort from the SysPrefs > Network list via the - minus button.

2) delete /System/Library/Extensions/apple.airport.airport[something].kext Sorry, I can't remember the full name and I already emptied the trash so I can't easily look it up. The [something] was setup or config or prefs or something like that.

3) Restore the AirPort to the SysPrefs > Network list via the + plus button.

After that, turning the AirPort on and off works fine. I'm actually posting via that AirPort card now. The LED button above the keyboard always says off, but that's not important to me.

I snagged Kext Helper 7 and the Trackpad PrefPane. They do what they do fine, but what they do doesn't directly make anything work better.

My biggest remaining beef is that the keyboard and trackpad aren't working; I'm using an extra USB keyboard and mouse I had lying around. They worked during the installation process and during the bootloader (PC_EFI). The OSx86 wiki claims that the special keyboard keys for contrast and volume work out of the box; no such luck for me.

Less annoyingly, the wired Ethernet also seems not to be working, and I haven't figured out the battery icon fix yet. Donno about audio ports or modem; I don't foresee myself ever using them.

I haven't seen the overheating/fan failure issue others have complained about. My fan seems to kick on at the right times, though the thing runs warm just as it did in it's Vista, pre-hackintosh days.

I'll add more notes as things begin working. Any advice you've got would be appreciated.

I have the exact same laptop c712nr and installed using this method

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ibo...ac-os-x-on.html

I skipped step one though.

My keyboard mouse sounds and wifi work perfectly until I installed [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], after that only usb mouse worked. I stopped after that, didn't go any farther than [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] install yet

So i reinstalled osx and haven't installed mulitbeast yet..successfully updated mac software and restarted..keyboard and mouse still working

Hope that helps your troubleshooting

• 2 weeks later...

Compaq Presario C700 series (c758ca) running vanilla 10.6.2

This was a {censored} for me. Firstly, the Atheros wi-fi card was not supported. At least I looked everywhere and tried everything and every driver. It would not power on (orange led..and yes i even pushed the on button several times).

I had to replace the Atheros ar5bxb63-h with a Broadcom 4311 from a dell machine. I can't remember exact model but it is a very standard model.

If you have this series of laptop you probably already know you can not just put whatever wifi card you like in it. The "Insyde bios" will tell you its unsupported! {censored}!

I did some research and found that the Insyde bios locks out brands that are not from HP. Luckily for me someone had unlocked (or un whitelisted) the most recent version of the bios for my machine. I installed miniXP and flashed the bios and installed the Broadcom card and voila! It works with my fresh install of snow leopard build 10A432 10.6.2.

To install snow leopard I used "EmpireEFI 4 AMD" (whatever.. it worked fine for intel) when prompted I inserted the snow leopard disc and pretty much left everything default (deselecting the translations and languages) At the end of the install it says it failed. Reboot with the "EmpireEF 4 AMD" boot disk. Once you boot up you can browse the boot disk and install "myhack" boot loader. Remove the boot disk and reboot. Works for me :-)

After installing I didn't have audio and my keyboard and mouse are not working. I installed "AzaliaAudio.pkg" for multiple brands. and "10.5.6 Synaptics trackpad enabler". This fixed the audio (didn't test headphone) and the keyboard/trackpad. However the trackpad does not have any working options.

I noticed my fan would come on and run very fast and loud and I didn't have a battery icon. Turns out that I didn't have a working power management in place. I scoured the internet and found several options. I tried everyone I found but they didn't work. Finally ,by accident, I found one that works. I will include these kexts here at the bottom of the page.

Now I have a well working hackbook. I did the "10.6.4 combo update" and it went perfect. I would like to have the trackpad working properly but can live with it as is for now. If someone has theirs working can you please inform me which kexts you used.

I used Kext Utility 2.4.2 to install my kexts.

I have included the files I used to get my C700 working…..good luck!

Update Dec 30 2010: Good news and bad news...I need your help. I have a semi working kext that activates my cpu fan and cools my cpu down considerably. From 85ºc to 62ºc degrees in just minutes and all without speed stepping installed. Installed with kextutility and without rebooting it works instantly. The problem is if I reboot it will not load again and I get a KP. I will attach the semi-working kexts and temperature monitor called "cpufankexts".

Update Dec 31 2010: installed speed stepping (voodoo power, included in the working kexts I provided) and dropped the temp from between 48ºc to 50ºc I have the screen included here. In the screenshot you will notice i have shown the kexts files i used and their "version plist" opened next to the kext it belongs to. I hope someone is up to the challenge of finding a fix.

Update Jan 1 2011: I think I fixed the fan issue (I think). I installed the AppleACPIPlatform kext that got my fan working but would cause a crash when I reboot. Then, before rebooting, I reinstalled the original AppleACPIPlatform kext (I had backed it up). The fan is still working great. tempeturemonitor is showing that the laptop is indeed cooling down. I did a reboot and it works! ..I will do a fresh install and try this method again and post my results.

Update Jan 2 2011: I didn't reformat and try the Jan 1 method above, after trying to put my laptop to sleep i lost my fan control. I tried to reinstall the AppleACPIPlatform kexts and it wouldn't work properly and during a reboot I got a kernel panic. I booted to my separate working partition (iAtkos 10.5.5) and tried something new. I Took the AppleACPIPlatform kext and put it in the Extra/Extensions folder and deleted it from the S/L/E location then fixed the permissions with kextutility. I then rebooted into my Vanilla 10.6.2 and the fans started to work great again.

Update 2 Jan 2 2011 : I have an almost perfect working 10.6.5 vanilla system. Sleep works almost perfectly (sleeps and wakes but battery icon gets funky) other then that it works as it should. So to recap my full installation.

-I flashed the bios with a non whitelist version and installed a wi-fi card from a Dell (Broadcom 4311

1. I used "EmpireEFI" for AMD With a stock Snow Leopard disk 10.6.2

2. I then installed "MyHack" that came with "EmpireEFI" on the disc

3. I installed "AzaliaAudio.pkg" and "10.5.6 Synaptics Trackpad enabler"

4. Then I installed the modified "AppleACPIPlatform.kext" to E/E folder. Updated to 10.6.5 (didn't reboot) then deleted the original updated "AppleACPIPlatform.kext" from the S/L/E location. Repaired permissions then rebooted.

5. I installed the "voodoo power" and "voodoo battery" to S/L/E

6. I then installed "SleepEnabler" for 10.6.5 to the E/E folder

I need to fix the battery icon problem and would like the webcam to work. Thats the next challenge.

Update Jan 6 2011: I have the trackpad working relatively well using some instructions i found on the net somewhere. I have included the files and instructions needed to get it working like mine. Good Luck!

Update Jan 10 2011. I have successfully updated to 10.6.6 through software update. To do so I read somewhere that you should remove your "sleepenabler.kext" because its version specific. Thats exactly what I did. Then after rebooting I replaced the sleepenabler with one that is ready for 10.6.6. I installed with kext utility and rebooted again. I have provided the sleepenabler here for download. Cheers!

WorkingFilesC700.zip

CpuFanKexts.zip

post-606858-1293771041_thumb.png

SleepEnabler.kext.zip

TaptoClickTrackpad.zip

SleepEnabler.kext_10.6.6.zip

• 5 months later...
Compaq Presario C700 series (c758ca) running vanilla 10.6.2

This was a {censored} for me. Firstly, the Atheros wi-fi card was not supported. At least I looked everywhere and tried everything and every driver. It would not power on (orange led..and yes i even pushed the on button several times).

I had to replace the Atheros ar5bxb63-h with a Broadcom 4311 from a dell machine. I can't remember exact model but it is a very standard model.

If you have this series of laptop you probably already know you can not just put whatever wifi card you like in it. The "Insyde bios" will tell you its unsupported! {censored}!

I did some research and found that the Insyde bios locks out brands that are not from HP. Luckily for me someone had unlocked (or un whitelisted) the most recent version of the bios for my machine. I installed miniXP and flashed the bios and installed the Broadcom card and voila! It works with my fresh install of snow leopard build 10A432 10.6.2.

To install snow leopard I used "EmpireEFI 4 AMD" (whatever.. it worked fine for intel) when prompted I inserted the snow leopard disc and pretty much left everything default (deselecting the translations and languages) At the end of the install it says it failed. Reboot with the "EmpireEF 4 AMD" boot disk. Once you boot up you can browse the boot disk and install "myhack" boot loader. Remove the boot disk and reboot. Works for me :-)

After installing I didn't have audio and my keyboard and mouse are not working. I installed "AzaliaAudio.pkg" for multiple brands. and "10.5.6 Synaptics trackpad enabler". This fixed the audio (didn't test headphone) and the keyboard/trackpad. However the trackpad does not have any working options.

I noticed my fan would come on and run very fast and loud and I didn't have a battery icon. Turns out that I didn't have a working power management in place. I scoured the internet and found several options. I tried everyone I found but they didn't work. Finally ,by accident, I found one that works. I will include these kexts here at the bottom of the page.

Now I have a well working hackbook. I did the "10.6.4 combo update" and it went perfect. I would like to have the trackpad working properly but can live with it as is for now. If someone has theirs working can you please inform me which kexts you used.

I used Kext Utility 2.4.2 to install my kexts.

I have included the files I used to get my C700 working…..good luck!

Update Dec 30 2010: Good news and bad news...I need your help. I have a semi working kext that activates my cpu fan and cools my cpu down considerably. From 85ºc to 62ºc degrees in just minutes and all without speed stepping installed. Installed with kextutility and without rebooting it works instantly. The problem is if I reboot it will not load again and I get a KP. I will attach the semi-working kexts and temperature monitor called "cpufankexts".

Update Dec 31 2010: installed speed stepping (voodoo power, included in the working kexts I provided) and dropped the temp from between 48ºc to 50ºc I have the screen included here. In the screenshot you will notice i have shown the kexts files i used and their "version plist" opened next to the kext it belongs to. I hope someone is up to the challenge of finding a fix.

Update Jan 1 2011: I think I fixed the fan issue (I think). I installed the AppleACPIPlatform kext that got my fan working but would cause a crash when I reboot. Then, before rebooting, I reinstalled the original AppleACPIPlatform kext (I had backed it up). The fan is still working great. tempeturemonitor is showing that the laptop is indeed cooling down. I did a reboot and it works! ..I will do a fresh install and try this method again and post my results.

Update Jan 2 2011: I didn't reformat and try the Jan 1 method above, after trying to put my laptop to sleep i lost my fan control. I tried to reinstall the AppleACPIPlatform kexts and it wouldn't work properly and during a reboot I got a kernel panic. I booted to my separate working partition (iAtkos 10.5.5) and tried something new. I Took the AppleACPIPlatform kext and put it in the Extra/Extensions folder and deleted it from the S/L/E location then fixed the permissions with kextutility. I then rebooted into my Vanilla 10.6.2 and the fans started to work great again.

Update 2 Jan 2 2011 : I have an almost perfect working 10.6.5 vanilla system. Sleep works almost perfectly (sleeps and wakes but battery icon gets funky) other then that it works as it should. So to recap my full installation.

-I flashed the bios with a non whitelist version and installed a wi-fi card from a Dell (Broadcom 4311

1. I used "EmpireEFI" for AMD With a stock Snow Leopard disk 10.6.2

2. I then installed "MyHack" that came with "EmpireEFI" on the disc

3. I installed "AzaliaAudio.pkg" and "10.5.6 Synaptics Trackpad enabler"

4. Then I installed the modified "AppleACPIPlatform.kext" to E/E folder. Updated to 10.6.5 (didn't reboot) then deleted the original updated "AppleACPIPlatform.kext" from the S/L/E location. Repaired permissions then rebooted.

5. I installed the "voodoo power" and "voodoo battery" to S/L/E

6. I then installed "SleepEnabler" for 10.6.5 to the E/E folder

I need to fix the battery icon problem and would like the webcam to work. Thats the next challenge.

Update Jan 6 2011: I have the trackpad working relatively well using some instructions i found on the net somewhere. I have included the files and instructions needed to get it working like mine. Good Luck!

Update Jan 10 2011. I have successfully updated to 10.6.6 through software update. To do so I read somewhere that you should remove your "sleepenabler.kext" because its version specific. Thats exactly what I did. Then after rebooting I replaced the sleepenabler with one that is ready for 10.6.6. I installed with kext utility and rebooted again. I have provided the sleepenabler here for download. Cheers!

There hasn't been much activity on this thread for some time now, and I suspect that the C700 is getting a bit long-in-the-tooth to be causing much new interest in running it as a Hackintosh. I've been using my C700 (actually it's a C731TU originally sold by hardly normal) for about two years now as a dual OS machine with Vista Home Basic and Mac OS 10.5.8 installed. I now also have an iMac desktop machine which is truly wonderful, but annual holidays away from the cold of a Victorian winter mean that the C700 is a great companion whilst away.

Last week I decided to repartition the 80 GB drive to make the OXS part bigger. There were two unused partitions totaling about 20 GB, one of which had been used as a temporary partition during the installation of 10.5.0. To cut a long story short, I was unable to merge the temporary partition and ended up corrupting the whole drive. Vista was still accessible, but gPartEd could not repair the partitions overall. So I bit the bullet and started to reinstall everything. but I wasn't really using Vista, so I decided just to install 10.5.0. When I was in London 18 months ago I discovered Peter Baldwin's book "OSx86: Creating a Hackintosh" . Peter is a Sydney sider, yet his book has had very little mention in the InsanelyMac and similar forums. Pity, because his descriptions of what need to be done are explicit, lucid and logical.

So I broadly followed his method in Chap 4 of his book - Installing to a Hard Disk with Vista already Installed. Firstly I reformatted the whole drive. Then I started to reinstall Vista, but the process failed, but not before an MBR boot partition had been created. So I then started to install 10.5.0, as follows.

1. Load boot CD (boot-dfe-modbin.iso originally from Munkey I think).

2. Load the retail OSX 10.5.0 CD.

3. This worked OK until the blue start-up screen, then nothing. But previously I'd discovered that the right video kexts were not yet installed to operate the C700 screen, and that connecting an external monitor revealed a perfect picture of the Language Selection screen.

4. Using this monitor I then used Disk Utility to make two GUID (GPT) partitions on the drive - one of 5 GB for the temporary installer files and another of 67 GB for the main OSX installation.

5. The System Install files were then transferred on to the temporary partition (Baldwin pp 79 to 86), and by now the C700's own display was working normally.

6. Then 10.5.0 was installed to the OSX partition.

7. Finally the Chameleon 2.0 RC2 boot loader was installed, and my C700 was now working in Mac mode!

8. From the previous install of 18 months' back, I had prepared a 10.5.6 Combo Update CD, so I used it again to update the OS to 10.5.6.

9. Then I downloaded the 10.5.8 combo update and installed 10.5.8.

At this stage, everything seemed to work except:

. cooling fan control (it cycled on and off over a 5 sec/60 sec period and the machine case got a bit hot

. Internal microphone

. Battery meter.

. Wi-Fi via internal Atheros 5007EG controller.

I then downloaded from this site and installed Power_Management_Bundle_10.5.3. This restored proportional control of the cooling fan and the battery meter. This seemed a better solution than hard-wiring the fan ON as suggested in some quarters. Unfortunately these two functions do not resume after a sleep/wake cycle, and require a restart or cold boot to recover. I can live with that - I now leave the Energy Saver setting at "Never" for sleep, and 15 min for the display. When I remember, I kill the display by moving the cursor to the top LH corner of the screen.

As for Wi-Fi, well it seems no-one on this site has really been able to get the Atheros 5007EG to work under OSX, so I bought a NetGear W111v3 controller on e-Bay for $20, and it works like a charm (after downloading and installing NetGear's kexts).

I plan to read thoroughly the other posts on this thread to see what I've missed. And if anyone knows how to get the internal mike working, I'd be pleased to hear about it. Oh, and I haven't yet tested whether the web-cam fitted to my C700 works under 10.5.8.

Finally another rap for Peter Baldwin's great book - it really helped me through the maze!

Rob

EDIT: 1 The battery meter works but only from a fresh reboot. After a sleep/wake cycle neither the battery meter nor the cooling fan work as before. The webcam also works in Photobooth and Skype.

2. I decided that although the Netgear WiFi card worked well, it did look a bit clunky and permanently tied up a USB port, thereby justifying another fix. I bought a Broadcom 94321 wireless card out of a MacBook second-hand on e-Bay for $10.00. Removed the Atheros card and installed the Broadcom, only to get a BIOS error 104 on startup. To cut a long story short, I downloaded a non-whitelisted version F.35 upgrade of the old F.22 BIOS and flashed it to ROM. After setting preferences etc the Broadcom card is identified as an Airport, and works perfectly.

3. Finally I noticed that Time Machine wasn't backing up to my external 1TB HDD. I used the fix noted in Baldwin's book (pp599-600). This uses OSx86 Tools to load the UUID of the startup drive to the file com.apple.Boot.plist. Now Time machine works perfectly.

4. In summary, the only thing that limits the use of this machine under 10.5.8 is the non-functioning internal microphone when trying to use Skype. Everything else just works!

To Zantac105

Hi there,

Have just read your post dated 30 Dec 2010. Could you please advise if the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and the IOACPIFamily.kext included at the bottom of your post would work for Leopard 10.5.8. If so, I presume the correct installation method would be to move/save the original kexts to a "safe" place then install the new ones, using say KextHelper or similar. Thereafter repair permissions and reboot? I'm always a bit nervous about changing kexts, particularly if a KP results, and if the KP recurs during the next reboot, I'd have to go through the whole 10.5.0/10.5.6/10.5.8 install all over again.

I'd love to get the cooling fan recovering automatically on waking from sleep!

BTW the internal camera on my C731 works perfectly when I open Photo Booth.

Thanks

Rob

For those who have Compaq Presario C700 series w/ hackintosh please post here your hardware problems and how you were able to fix it.

This will surely help the owners of Compaq Presario C700 laptops,,

Thanks,,

i'm still trying to figure out how can i make my Conexant HD Audio, AR5007 wifi device and the built-in webcam to work w/ iDeneb 10.5.5 OSX86,,

any help will be highly appreciated,,

Thanks,,

Following on from my reply to Zantac105 of 21 June 2011, I have some observations (but no fixes) for the internal microphone problem which many Compaq C700 users have experienced.

Using Skype test call service as the GOLD standard for internal mikes working or not, i have found that my mike is working, but you need to speak no more than about 60 mm from the device to get acceptable sound volume. Unfortunately it's hard to use Skype this close to the screen! This is despite having all volume settings to maximum, and having installed VoodooHDA kext by Thireus (0.2.2 r8 Thireus release extreme).

Normal speaking levels give about 6 bars on the level meter in the SystemPref>Sound pane, and an external mike gives 15 bars but sounds no louder on Skype playback.

However in Speech mode, the internal mike calibrates just fine, causing the spoken commands to blink appropriately, although contrarily the level meter reads inconsistently. Using Speech mode in real applications also works fine, with no shouting required. Does this give any further clue to this baffling problem?

• 4 months later...

i've been searching for Hackintosh installation on my Compaq C794TU T7100, but no luck

I've been using IATKOS S3 V2, the installation perfectly running, but in the middle process, my laptop suddenly shutdown itself. I have tried to add some bootflag or customize option before installation, still no luck :(

Any suggestion about this? thank you, i really appreciate it :)

• 1 month later...

bios F.35 rules!!! cooler fan quiet too!

f.35 with no whitelist (goto support.hp.com and check your specific model if bios is) sp48079.exe then this is for you :)

HP G7000_Compaq_C700_A900_sp48079_SLIC21_no_whitelist .zip

i flashed it from FN B recovery method from fat32 USB (no need to do all kinds of crazy windows things to flash)

method:

no battery no power, plug in usb formated fat32 with filename (bios in this zip renamed to) IBL80HW.FD

hold WIndows Key and B then plug in power and press switch.. u can let go of keys.

now wait at black screen for 2 minutes.. shuts down itself then when upower on check bios version

.. i made fresh dsdt patches: rtc, hpet, irqs, dtgp, EHCI sleep, GMA950 Laptop, SBUS

and i renamed the _ADR to _UID in Device (PCI0) .. the lines under it the one that says _ADR ... that one (for 10.6.8 or lion)

and got it all working with chameleon 2.1 svn 1764 and just the 2 kexts: FakeSMC 3.x and VooDooPS2 AndyVand version and it detects it as Alps and works nice.

and smbios.plist macbook4.1

all im missing is the sound .. tried voodoohda 2.7.2 and no sound coming out (10.6.0 likely issue.. updating) or needs adjustments i hope.

however after i loaded voodoohda, sleep DID NOT work on second time. so if it sleeps and wakes. then sleep again. it wont wake 3rd tiime... shows hibernatemode 27 ? weird

more to come

i've been searching for Hackintosh installation on my Compaq C794TU T7100, but no luck

I've been using IATKOS S3 V2, the installation perfectly running, but in the middle process, my laptop suddenly shutdown itself. I have tried to add some bootflag or customize option before installation, still no luck :(

Any suggestion about this? thank you, i really appreciate it :)

sounds like temperature issue. or bios f.34 or older.

make a dsdt and see how it goes.