Network stops working after some time

zabrabadaba

31 posts in this topic

I am sure I am not the only one having this problem, my network stops working after some time. Might be 10 minutes to one hour. When I check the network settings the used network interface seems to be in order and no errors are visible. It simply doesnt work. Cant connect to anything, the net the home network, nothing. Right now I use iDeneb 1.3 and have this problem. Luckily everything else works as it should so this is the last problem (i hope). I got the same problem with Leo4Allv3 and v2.

AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+

MSI K9VGM-V (Via Chipset)

Netgear GA311 (r8169) = Same result

Via built-in network interface (viarhine) = Same result

:)

This Same thing happends to me, i just installed leo4all on my desktop and the internets break after about 5 to 10 min after boot

it happends with the via network adapter and an intel 10/100 network card i have

any help would be appreciated by me also

HA! Someone else is having my problem... Just going to paste my post from my thread here.

Well I've been able to get everything working except for my ethernet.

I'm running an Asus P5N-D, which does not support on-board ethernet. So I went out and purchased a Netgear GA311 NIC.

In case anyone isn't sure this card uses a Realtek chip set and according to the wiki hardware guide is compatible. I went with the Realtek driver during my Kalway install.

The OS recognizes the card and is able to pull an IP address. The internet works fine anywhere from 5-30 minutes. Than it will pull a new ip address from my 2wire 2800HGV-B gateway, this is what ATT gave me.

Once it aquires this new IP address which is way out of the range that DHCP is setup for, the internet stops working.

I've tried running a linksys router behind the gateway and than plugging my pc into that to act as a buffer so the address it pulls it coming from the DHCP server of the linksys but still it loses the address.

I'm starting to think that this might be a problem with the 2wire gateway and MAC OS. However I have not been able to find anything in the way concerns with this on their website.

If anyone has an idea of what to try next I would love to hear it.

Forgot to mention that prior to adding the Netgear card, my onboard NIC was doing the same thing, minus it actually being able to connect to the internet. But it would pull the correct DHCP address and than later would pull one that was out of range. I since than have disabled the onboard NIC and have done a reinstall of kalway.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

I'm using an intel dual core.. So its not just related to AMD. One thing i noticed is the IP address it pulls if you refresh your DHCP is way out of range.

HA! Someone else is having my problem... Just going to paste my post from my thread here.

Well I've been able to get everything working except for my ethernet.

I'm running an Asus P5N-D, which does not support on-board ethernet. So I went out and purchased a Netgear GA311 NIC.

In case anyone isn't sure this card uses a Realtek chip set and according to the wiki hardware guide is compatible. I went with the Realtek driver during my Kalway install.

The OS recognizes the card and is able to pull an IP address. The internet works fine anywhere from 5-30 minutes. Than it will pull a new ip address from my 2wire 2800HGV-B gateway, this is what ATT gave me.

Once it aquires this new IP address which is way out of the range that DHCP is setup for, the internet stops working.

I've tried running a linksys router behind the gateway and than plugging my pc into that to act as a buffer so the address it pulls it coming from the DHCP server of the linksys but still it loses the address.

I'm starting to think that this might be a problem with the 2wire gateway and MAC OS. However I have not been able to find anything in the way concerns with this on their website.

If anyone has an idea of what to try next I would love to hear it.

Forgot to mention that prior to adding the Netgear card, my onboard NIC was doing the same thing, minus it actually being able to connect to the internet. But it would pull the correct DHCP address and than later would pull one that was out of range. I since than have disabled the onboard NIC and have done a reinstall of kalway.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

I'm using an intel dual core.. So its not just related to AMD. One thing i noticed is the IP address it pulls if you refresh your DHCP is way out of range.

Have you tried setting a static address within the gateway range using DCHP manually.....?

Yes I've tried that. It still ends up losing that address and it is replaced with an address of 169.254.127.246 everytime. I noticed that the start of this address is used in the proxy setup. Could it be a proxy related issue?

I did some research on that IP range and wikipedia says this range is reserved for a private network. I'd imagine it is obtaining this address due to the mac being thrown off the network.

"A second set of private networks is the link-local address range codified in RFC 3330 and RFC 3927. The intention behind these RFCs is to provide an IP address (and by implication, network connectivity) without a DHCP server being available and without having to configure a network address manually. The network 169.254/16 has been reserved for this purpose. Within this address range, the networks 169.254.0.0/24 and 169.254.255.255/24 have been set aside for future use."

I am having the same troubles with my iDeneb system (10.5.5) and a Yukon2 ethernet card.

I am using a intel system (asus p5k-e wifi). And after a random amount of time, the network won't work (once i tried to connect via the wifi card, when the ethernet stoped, and had no luck)

I hope somebody has some idea about this topic, or at least got it solved somehow :)

Greetings,

Victor

see if u have a enable lan at boot if so enable it, it worked for me then surf forever :D in r bios sorry

guys go into r bios if u have an opition lan enable at boot enable it i might work for u worked for me good luck :D

I'm not going to say I fixed it, but after 3 hours of constant torrent downloading my connection is still stable. I started with a fresh install of kalway 10.5.2, using the speedstep kernel. I did not choose any drivers for the network.

I'm using a realtek 8139 card with the native drivers. At first I was loosing my connection than I went manually into ethernet and configures it manually:

100BaseTX

Full Duplex, Flow Control

MTU : Standard 1500

These setting have seemed to help, but time will tell.

Good luck guys

Update - I installed leo4all v3, and am still geting drops. Also tried the opendns.com method with no help. It seems as if the connecion will stay stable until surf the net and download a torrent at the same time. I've also tried the various realtek drivers that are homebrew with no success.

Anyone have luck yet?

Hmm, sometimes (a lot of) times it happens when I open a new connection, for example, then I start to download some files, or when I start an online java game (games.asobrain.com) Its quite annoying: i am downloading something, I go to games.asobrain.com, start a game and it hangs at half of the loading. But I restart the computer, repeat the process, and it works!

I tried iAtkos v4i (10.5.4 with update to 10.5.5) and iDeneb 1.3 (10.5.5). Once it seemed to be working allright with the iDeneb installation, but I had to reinstall because my HDD fried :P .

I also used those methods:

- Driver from installation disk (iDeneb once seemed to work once upon a time)

- Driver from p5ke package on the forum

- Both above combined, installing first the pkg from the install disk :)

- Driver from OSX86 tools.