ps/2 keyboard help

gian

21 posts in this topic

i have installed osx fine on my pc. im using the second hdd method, i im in need of help with my keyboard it is pluged up as ps/2 connection, but when osx starts up, it wants to do the registration thingy but i cant type....i dont have a usb keyboard if u can help me thx i dont wanna buy a keyboard

For those of us who don't have the budget/time to pick up extra hardware specially for OS X:

Boot up in single user safe mode, with bootflags "-s -x -v". To do that, hold down some button while OS X is trying to start up so it gives you a prompt for boot options.

After you get the prompt, follow the instructions immediately above to be able to modify what's on your hard drive. should be something like:

fsck -fy <something>

mount -uw /

After that, type "nano /etc/rc". You should end up in a text editor. Hold down ctrl-v to page down until you reach near the end of it. In between fi and exit 0 at the very end, at these two lines:

kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

This loads and unloads the drivers for the PS/2 keyboard, making it work by the time OS X asks you to type stuff. I suggest you skip mac.com registration though, by pushing the command-q key combination.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

It probably wasn't cleanly unmounted, and then you simply CAN'T mount it read-write until running fsck.hfsplus. For Ubuntu folk like myself at least, this is a problem, since the bin doesn't exist and hpfsck doesn't recognize the hdaX as an hfsplus partition. There is a quick and easy Ubuntu thread with a solution : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1859336, "HowTo check and repair HFSplus in Linux", so I'm assuming it's not just an Ubuntu issue. Still haven't gotten my laptop keyboard working, though.

• 4 weeks later...
type "nano /etc/rc". You should end up in a text editor. Hold down ctrl-v to page down until you reach near the end of it. In between fi and exit 0 at the very end, at these two lines:

kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext

This loads and unloads the drivers for the PS/2 keyboard, making it work by the time OS X asks you to type stuff. I suggest you skip mac.com registration though, by pushing the command-q key combination.

Thank you so much for this bit of information. My ps/2 ergo keyboard works beautifully now! Cheers

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm hoping someone can help please. I have this same problem. I have ps2 keyboard and a usb mouse plugged into a usb > ps2 converter. When I boot up it loads into OS X but I get the following prompt 'There is no keyboard connected to your computer. please connect your keyboard.', I have tried the fix given above but once I get to the prompt which shows fsck, I cannot type anything. Can someone offer their opinion?

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
For those of us who don't have the budget/time to pick up extra hardware specially for OS X:

Boot up in single user safe mode, with bootflags "-s -x -v". To do that, hold down some button while OS X is trying to start up so it gives you a prompt for boot options.

After you get the prompt, follow the instructions immediately above to be able to modify what's on your hard drive. should be something like:

fsck -fy <something>

mount -uw /

After that, type "nano /etc/rc". You should end up in a text editor. Hold down ctrl-v to page down until you reach near the end of it. In between fi and exit 0 at the very end, at these two lines:

I am not able to type the commands

• 1 month later...

Can someone post a solution for me.. I have a working USB keyboard (but its AWFUL)...and I want to be able to use my PS2 keyboard with my USB mouse. I can boot up but can only type with the USB keyboard. How can I make it work with USB Mouse and PS2 Keyboard

I tried this http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i...php/t89285.html

But it didnt work... :censored2:

• 2 weeks later...

A bit OT.

A mouse and a keyboard are really cheap nowadays, cheaper than a night out with your girlfriend/boyfriend :unsure:

Since I started using USB mice and keyboards only, I had a lot fewer problems in every operating system, including Windows XP (SP3 used to freeze very often. Then I discovered that it was caused by the PS/2 mouse and keyboard).

A bit OT.

Since I started using USB mice and keyboards only, I had a lot fewer problems in every operating system, including Windows XP (SP3 used to freeze very often. Then I discovered that it was caused by the PS/2 mouse and keyboard).

USB sucks for keyboards. I mean, it's great for everyday use, but blows chunks when you want to have several keys held down at once.

With USB you can have a max of 6 keys (plus a couple modifiers) held at once and registered by the computer due to USB bandwidth limitations. With ps/2 you can have them all held down at once, if the keyboard supports it. Since very very few do, USB is "good enough" for almost everybody. But if you have an n-key rollover capable keyboard, you have to use it with ps/2 to get the benefits.

http://www.deckkeyboards.com/forum/viewtop...p?f=2&t=520

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
With USB you can have a max of 6 keys (plus a couple modifiers) held at once and registered by the computer due to USB bandwidth limitations.

You are wrong. The 6 key limitation has nothing to do with USB bandwidth, it has to do with the keyboard electronics and construction, and the fact that very few people have any practical use for a keyboard that will register more than 6 keypresses at once. After all, you only have five fingers on each hand, and your other hand is on your mouse.

There is plenty of bandwith left on USB 1.0 even if the keyboard was built to support pressing every single key on it at the same time.