GMA X4500

aldo77

1,615 posts in this topic

Hi all...you can trust me, if you use a GMA 4500 intel graphic card, especialy on SONY VAIO, believe me, its work fine!!! Just replace all files, in previous instalation like PC EFI, or Chameleon 2 RC 3...and im garantee in the name our friendship from this wonderfull site, thats works!!! Im get tested and "retested' (several times), in others computers too...secret is a boot file, and theme.plist...Im never will post something ilegitim...im a lawyer in my country (Brazil), and i love all this, for pure hobbie...and im mac user with some experience in install...

Im notice too that my tri-boot, MAC, SNOW and SEVEN, is a really hard work to put on works..!!!

im have kexts on Extra/Extensions, that im choice by my self, test after test, crash after crash...my limited english (sorry about that)...and im never will brought someting its not work...

Im love all this...and im hope some day, a genius guy dedicated to put a intel 4500 works with QE, and full....

But now, im brought my experience because im really sufering to put kexts, and bash files, etc...(works too) but this is very, very very easy to me, and im try share with all you my friends...

Please, if someone tested this files, and put your results, im will be so glad about it...!!!

Best Regards...and a Happy New Year...

@max: Sony Vaio VGN NW20EF, Snow Leopard (10.6.2), GMA4500 M (device id 2a42), doesn't work, still showing 1024x768. :D

Everything I've tried has no effect or results in black screen.

Hi my friend: you change your boot file, and replace all that im post? Your graphic card is the same that my...

Please, use all files, included theme with extra extensions...Are you using GUI partition? Because in that case, is necessary other commands to replace files on your EFI partition. If you using MBR, its necessary Show Hiden files (like boot file) using ShowAllFiles and replace boot files. Maybe you need change permissions on "get info" that Volume install, ok? You could see this details...ok? We in the same boat...just help !!!

Im just share my good and fine experience...thats all...im try help some people that not get works with kexts; your device 2a42 is the same at  mine...

Other detail: if you use some kexts modified, please use only original kexts, or deleted all bash 

kexts...please, insist with that.

***My bootloader is PC EFI 10.1, and after install, im replace my files, and get works!! I talk the truth!!! Please dont giveup

If you try install PC EFI, choose your MAC or SNOW system volume to install (not windows)...

DR. VOX...use this kexts on your folder Extra/Extensions:

Just because you use Snow Leopard, ok?

Give me a second chance...

1. If you use 10.6.0, replace all files on my extensions pack.

2. If you use (like y said) 10.6.2, please dont forget replace SleepEnabler.kext for 10.6.2, because that not get Kernel Panic....

** You can see my video install on my SONY VAIO here:  Video Sony media fire

Best Regards

PC_EFI_10.1.pkg.zip

Extensions_Extra_Extensions_to_SNOW.10.6.0.zip

SleepEnabler.kext10.6.2.zip

ShowAllFiles_snow.zip

Yeah, I replaced the boot file, I put all the kexts in /Extra/Extensions (except the ones which clearly were meant for your machine alone, like the AltecLansing kext). I repaired permissions on /E/E and on the whole volume.

I'm using Chameleon 2RC3, though.

Hi Dr. Vox...you can try reinstall bootloader, deleting all chameleon files, and using PC EFI 10.1, and after that, replace again ALL files, just for try...sorry my bad english!!! 

Its important said too, that boot.plist and themes with plist.theme is a point to get resolution...

IM NOT LIKED USE TO MUCH REPAIR PERMISSION WITH KEXT UTILITY, IS NOT GOOD to me (after repair, im deleted Extensions.mkext) Maybe its necessary for feel people, but not to me...

I dont know how advanced user you are, but this files is change my resolution...and im do it with my pleasure reinstall several times, and secret is not give up...im could show other method for you, using bash kexts and a little program call DisplayXConfig...if you want...works fine too...but this way is more easy...

Please, said to me if you replace all files, and if you partition is MBR or GUI, and if you try using fresh install for PC EFI etc...

TKS>>>

I did also try using ALL of your kexts, and it still booted with 1024x768.

It's running Chameleon 2RC3 on a GUID/GPT with 2 partitions.

I think I might try the PC EFI bootloader, although I do prefer Chameleon.

EDIT: I tried it. No difference. No black screen. Just 1024x768. :(

You take acess by mkdir /Volumes and fsck_hfs /dev/disk0s1 killall Finder etc..?

Because im not using GUI and when im used, we need acess on EFI partition...

Sorry not works...im really wish help...but works in most GMA 4500...

And PC EFI and Chameleon have same boot file...just install is little diferent...thats all...

Bye...

ehh, sorry, I don't understand...

Taking access by mkdir /Volumes and fsck_hfs /dev/disk0s1 ?

I've not done any of that, I just installed the kexts you gave and then installed PC_EFI_10.1.

Hi Dr Vox, thats simple details make diferences...

Look: In GUI partition, when you instal Chameleon or EFI (choice is yours), create a HIDE partition in Volume, call EFI.

Type this commands in your terminal to see:

sudo -s

enter

your password

diskutil list

enter

All disks...is shows up...

After that, take a look on EFI partition, like maybe disk0s1, ok? 

After that, type in Terminal:

fsck_hfs /dev/disk0s1 (check your EFI boot partition and type like it)

enter

mkdir /Volumes/EFI

enter

mount_hfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI

enter

killall Finder (sensitive key "F"inder ok?)

enter

EFI shows up on your Finder...

Look inside then, and you see boot files, extra, extensions etc...

Verify your permissions about this Volumes, in right click mouse, "get info" on menu, and in final line see your permissions, and change if you need to "read and write"...in all 3 lines...close.

Replace all files again, and NOT repair permissions, just reboot, ok?

EFI is gon after reboot...

Because that im use MBR, and im Seven user too...

I hope that works on this time

Im do my best...

Best Regards...

Max

Didn't work. ;)

I've tried so many different things, so many different methods, so many different kexts...

Most result in a black screen with the backlight on... Others just get ignored totally.

Why can I not get native res when other people with the same device id (2a42) can?! Even if i use their kexts!

Sorry for going a little out of topic, I am also owner of X4500 and new to Mac, I wanted to ask what does it mean not having Quartz Extreme.

I know I cant play games and some video editing tools are not working, but do movies, flash videos etc work fine ?

Sorry for going a little out of topic, I am also owner of X4500 and new to Mac, I wanted to ask what does it mean not having Quartz Extreme.

I know I cant play games and some video editing tools are not working, but do movies, flash videos etc work fine ?

I can watch quicktime movies fine but for some reason the same movie files on VLC won't play(I only get sound). Do not know if this is due to lack of QE or missing codecs, could be either. As for Quicktime, I can play 720P trailers without a hitch, can most likely play 1080P if I wanted to as well. Flash video works fine except if you full screen an HD video on YouTube/other streaming sites you get some stuttering, but the HD video is smooth when you have it in windowed mode. I don't have this problem in my Windows 7 OS as HD videos are smooth even if I turn it on full screen.

My specs are

Core 2 Duo T6500 2.2 GHz

4 GB DDR2 RAM

Intel GMA 4500MHD

I have native res (1280x800) and QuartzGL enabled with OSX86 Tools on 10.5.7

Didn't work. :(

I've tried so many different things, so many different methods, so many different kexts...

Most result in a black screen with the backlight on... Others just get ignored totally.

Why can I not get native res when other people with the same device id (2a42) can?! Even if i use their kexts!

PLEASE try this for the last chance...im get resolution native with that:

1. Install on your SNOW Leopard this program call DisplayConfigX (download)

2. After install put my serial on zip file.

3. Go in "Monitor" window and mark "Allow system resolutions within range"

4. Put Serial like i said in menu  "File -> Register"

5. EDITED: Go to Menu program "Resolution" and unsubscribe all resolution except 1280x1024

6. After unsubcribe go to same menu and in + button add RESOLUTION "HDTV - 720" and click in "done"

7. + button again, and this time choose "Resolution" (not automatic) and before click in "done", change "vertical line" 720 to type 800 and click in "done". See that "horizontal pixel" alredy is 1280

8. Go to menu "Install" and click in "install" button

9. Reboot is required

10. ***EDITED: Do not reboot yet. Download this bash file and unzip on desktop (download)

11. BEFORE REBOOT, Open TERMINAL and type sudo -s

12. Type password and enter

13. Drag and Drop this file unziped on Terminal window

14. Just type in final line -vrf 2A42 and enter (look "A" not "a").

(with drag and drop you see this: "/Users/SNOW/Desktop/patch4500-1.bash -vrf 2A42" just complete the line, ok? and enter)

15. EDITED: REPAIR PERMISSIONS WITH DISK UTILITY

16. Close Terminal, all other programns and Reboot. Cross the fingers...

17. After Reboot, resolutions is 1280x780, is normal...

18. Go to System Preferences on dock, Displays and change to 1280x800

19. There is your new resolution...

20. Tks to be patient, and please, back your results...

** Dont worry for message on terminal "work anyway" or something...just  using original kexts on Snow...ok?

** SORRY ABOUT EDITED, was long time im not using this method

THIS A FULL VIDEO INSTALL THIS METHOD, WITH DISPLAY CONFIG X: <Download VIDEO Tutorial>

Best Regards 

PLEASE try this for the last chance...im get resolution native with that:

1. Install on your SNOW Leopard this program call DisplayConfigX (download)

2. After install put serial on zip file.

3. Go in "Monitor" window and mark "Allow system resolutions within range"

4. Put Serial like i said in menu  "File -> Register"

5. Go to Menu program "Resolution" and unsubscribe all resolution except 1024x768

6. After unsubcribe go to same menu and in + button add RESOLUTION "HDTV - 720" and click in "done"

7. + button again, and this time choose "Resolution" (not automatic) and before click in "done", change "vertical line" 720 to type 800 and click in "done". See that "horizontal pixel" alredy is 1280

8. Go to menu "Install" and click in "install" button

9. Reboot is required

10. After reboot download this bash file and unzip on desktop (download)

11. Open TERMINAL and type sudo -s

12. Type password and enter

13. Drag and Drop this file unziped on Terminal window

14. Just type in final line -vrf 2A42 and enter (look "A" not "a").

(with drag and drop you see this: "/Users/SNOW/Desktop/patch4500-1.bash -vrf 2A42" just complete the line, ok? and enter)

15. Close Terminal, other programns and Reboot.

16. Cross the fingers...

17. After Reboot, resolutions is 1280x780, is normal...

18. Go to System Preferences on dock, Displays and change to 1280x800

19. There is your new resolution...

20. Tks to be patient, and please, back your results...

** Dont worry for message on terminal "work anyway" or something...just  using original kexts on Snow...ok?]

Best Regards

Thanks for this piece of information. Unfortunately I'm having a problem on SnowOSX3.5 (10.6.0) that it boots up but only gives me a screen with no back light. Do you have any suggestions of what I should do?

Hi Cheeseplox!!

Im need know if you try install DisplayXConfig with serial, and use bash file with -vrf 2A42.

Please, look that 2A42 is your device ID. Some intel 4500 gma has ID 2A43...

Im wish this work for all, because to me never fail both method...

Maybe you using boot files, and then im need know how your device ID intel graphic card...

TKS for back results... 

After I ran the patch it said the Kext was improperly installed and couldn't be used.

When I rebooted I got the white screen, then black screen with backlight. :)

Thanks a lot for your help, but still nothing works. And I don't understand why not. :(

max, maybe you could post your kexts (from S/L/E)?

By the way, the device id is definitely 2a42.

Hi Cheeseplox!!

Im need know if you try install DisplayXConfig with serial, and use bash file with -vrf 2A42.

Please, look that 2A42 is your device ID. Some intel 4500 gma has ID 2A43...

Im wish this work for all, because to me never fail both method...

Maybe you using boot files, and then im need know how your device ID intel graphic card...

TKS for back results... 

Thanks for the reply max.1974.

Actually It says I have a 2a43 chipset in windows (CPU-ID) but in system profiler it claims I have a 2a42. I also read on another forum that 2a42 is the actuall GPU chip and 2a43 was just the chipset number of some sort. But I may be wrong, so I will try 2a43 instead of 2a42.

EDIT : I did a fresh install, tried your instructions but instead of 2a42 I did 2a43. Unfortunately it still gave me a 1024x768. I tried 2a42, and once again I got the no backlight of doom ;). Also unlike the other kexts I use, this one does not start Aqua (mac gui) and just stays in verbose mode saying AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement has timed out.

Hi all...i need ask forgiven for all you guys, because im forget said some important details.

Now im make a video with complete and full working install.

Above in my post download link ( is the same video) that work with Snow Leopard too.

Im tested in Snow 10.6.0, and 10.6.2 (not in 10.6.1).

In SNOW im not repair permissions, just install DisplayConfigX, bash and reboot...

Sorry about inconvenience, my bad english, etc...but  im really was long time not use this method, but now im get fresh install to do this especialy for you...im a father too, so im so sorry to remember maybe later...but video is there, and not let me down...alone...

I need that all you one more try to make everething right, like post and video...i hope you see video install.

Best Regards

SEE POST ABOVE TO INSTALL DISPLAYCONFIGX TO GET NATIVE RESOLUTION ON GMA 4500 INTEL ON MAC AND SNOW LEOPARD...

Hey Max (or should I call you Christian? :P ),

thanks so much for going to the effort of making that video! You're being incredibly helpful, I really am thankful to you. :)

But, I watched the video and I definitely did exactly the same as you. I was even saying to myself what to do next, before you did it.

I'll try it again later, but I don't think it will work, even though we have the same graphics cards (same device ids) and even same brand laptop (this one's a Sony too).

Hey Dr. Vox, my dear friend...yes, my name is Christian Max..!! You are welcome always...

Im really wish that works for you...

Im ask to you not give up, im reinstall my systems many many times (7, Snow, Mac...)

Im will prepare especial video to Snow, using this program with original kexts.

My devices information about my SONY VAIO is here in Everest Report:

Im always around, and im tks so much for know you and new friendship, is very important to me...

God bless you, and i believe that you get this resolution...have faith my friend!!!

My e-mail if you need something anytime: christian.max@hotmail.com or christian.max@pop.com.br

I see you later!!! Im tks too, very much!!!

SONY_VAIO_VGN_150AE___CONFIGURAC__A__O_EVEREST.htm.zip

Read your Everest report and it seems our laptops are pretty similar.

Makes me wonder even more why it isn't working, considering how similar they are...

I tried it again and again it gives me white screen, then black with the backlight on. :(

I can boot into Safe Mode (-x), which gives me 1024x768 and doesn't list any other resolution.

One of the only differences I can see in our systems is that SwitchResX says 'Monitor 1 - Unknown Monitor' for me, but for you it says 'Monitor 1 - Display'. Do you have 'Unknown monitor' too, cheeseplox?

But I checked the Manufacturer id and Model id, and mine are the same as the ones in the video (656e6b6e, 717).

Hi Dr Vox!! Im thinking and thinking...your string boot...

You can use -v arch=i386 just for tentative (try)

All my knowledge im put on this posts...and im not give up to try discovery why not your PC dosent work.

Im not have yeat the kexts you required, because im not install displayconfigx in SNOW. Im will working now on this.

And please, dont give up...its a game that machine against our creative...

Will return with install video on Snow and kexts..ok??

EDIT: My nephew go to travel on vacations, and by mistake, he take my charger battery to my SONY WEBSHOT CAM, and battery is gon, now only next tuesday my friend, i cant recharge my battery cam, so the movie to SNOW maybe little time soon...

HERE KEXTS TESTED AND WORKING WITH DISPLAYCONFIGX METHOD ON SNOW LEOPARD 10.6.0 

BEFORE INSTALL THE KEXTS, INSTALL DISPLAYCONFIGX, OR YOU GET KERNEL PANIC...

MAYBE YOU TAKE ANOTHER RISK, BUT WORK TO ME...YOU CAN USE KEXT HELP AND REPAIR PERMISSION WITH KEXT HELP UTILITY (AND AFTER THAT, DELETE EXTENSIONS.MKEXT ON SYSTEM/LIBRARY/EXTRA/EXTENSION)

Good Sunday, my friend!!!

Best Regards from BRAZIL...!!

GMA45002A42.KEXTS.SNOW.10.6.0_TESTED_.zip

KextUtility.v2.3.2_2.dmg

Booting in 32-bit mode went to the desktop, but there was still only 1024x768 in the Displays prefpane, SwitchResX doesn't seem to work (still saying Unknown Monitor).

The kexts you attached just make it white screen then black screen with backlight. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for the help, and don't worry too much about the video.

EDIT: I even tried doing the patch with iAtkos 7i (10.5.7) and it blue screens, then black screens. :D

Although on Leopard, the monitor doesn't say 'Unknown Monitor' in DisplayConfigX...