GMA X4500

aldo77

1,615 posts in this topic

Ok guys instead of coming up with NATIVE RESOLUTION solution maybe its time we work on an actual driver instead of prolonging it. A majority of people on this website are very smart and have enough programming abilities to complete this difficult task. I say if we all work together we can really make this work also not only opening many computers for QE/Ci we will be proving a point that we can work together and stuff. I know im sounding a little bossy right now but i know how u all are feeling right now about NOT BEING ABLE TO USE IMOVIE OR PHOTOBOOTH. So please hear me out. Lets all start a topic on making this driver and get all the best programmers on this website. start donations and work long and hard to begin solving a problem.

Once again i know im sounding bossy but its time we stand up to this damn driver and show it whose boss

So if your in on this project please let me know :rolleyes: im sure we can do it!

Ok guys instead of coming up with NATIVE RESOLUTION solution maybe its time we work on an actual driver instead of prolonging it. A majority of people on this website are very smart and have enough programming abilities to complete this difficult task. I say if we all work together we can really make this work also not only opening many computers for QE/Ci we will be proving a point that we can work together and stuff. I know im sounding a little bossy right now but i know how u all are feeling right now about NOT BEING ABLE TO USE IMOVIE OR PHOTOBOOTH. So please hear me out. Lets all start a topic on making this driver and get all the best programmers on this website. start donations and work long and hard to begin solving a problem.

Once again i know im sounding bossy but its time we stand up to this damn driver and show it whose boss

So if your in on this project please let me know :( im sure we can do it!

Normally I wouldn't say anything, but... seriously. Just stop. Prolonging it...?

There's about a dozen threads now for this videocard already. The issue is not lack of desire or exposure. The issue is we don't have any Intel source code, and there has never been a working driver for any Intel videocard unless Apple supplied us one. If "porting" BSD or Linux drivers were feasible, it would be done all the time, on more important / widely used devices than this. Every time an unsupported device pops up, there's dozens of people like you claiming that we have coding gurus here, capable of knocking up unique hardware drivers easily. When in reality, 95% of the work you find here is cleverly modified Apple code, based on a 95% compatible already-supported device.

Intel cards are all just different enough that the drivers aren't interchangeable, even with heavy tweaking. Remember the GMA3100? That came out, what, a few years ago now? There is NO driver, and never will be. For all the many threads, the begging, and constant "how about now??" posts about it, nothing ever came of it. Why? Same reasons as stated above. This isn't some quick plist edit, or a device id problem. This is building a driver from scratch, requiring inside Intel knowledge and tools simply no one here has. Your vote of confidence is appreciated, but a bit of an exaggeration.

Sound bossy all you want, but look to yourself first. If you can't build us a driver, shush. Contribute or don't contribute, don't demand or try playing foreman. It's pretty much accepted at this point that QE isn't a possibility, and unless Apple makes a move back to using Intel video, no one here really expects that to change. Sure it's sad. Sometimes reality is disappointing. But that's reality. So when people realize they are stuck with a crippled 4500 card, yes, they'll come in here looking for resolution fixes. Because that's all they can get, and it's better than nothing.

@CharredPC

damn you for responding to that post before i did because i sure as hell would have said the same thing about not having a source code or anything to start out with. Making drivers is no breeze what so ever if you have no source code using because engineering drivers for a device especially a gpu is not kids game and just going alone off of nothing is not a real great start.

but yeah charred you owned the post before i had a chance to sit down, poop, and read the paper.

\=

Best bet right now is when Apple starts using Core i3/i5 processors in their notebooks which all have the Intel GMA HD graphics card. Hopefully the architecture is similar enough to the 4500 that with some modifications we can get QE/CI.

im sorry i went a little far. I was just frusturated about my graphics card today (like a lot of people are) so i just found the biggest thread on this and posted that. I didnt know about all the source codes that u were talking about and now realize that its pretty much a giveup until Apple releases a driver

and dba137. Since they will be using them in the future (i hope) lets pray. As i said this driver will open up a lot of computers for use

@ chickenlittleeeeeeeeee

That is assuming that the 4500 is still in there (it currently is iirc). But things may change down the road because knowing apple they could deliberately opt for another gma to avoid this. That is of course if they aware that it will be helping others in the way they didn't intend on.

The only question left for them to answer for me is when is the release date for the arrival of i3/5's into their MB's and MBP's

A guy named Deviato patched Chameleon RC4 bootloader to get native resolution with GMA4500 graphic card, with no need of patched kexts nor grub, and it works fine with 64 bit kernel. I think he hasn't released the sources yet. Here's the link:

http://deviato.wordpress.com/2010/01/28/ch...r-snow-leopard/

So, I tried Deviato bootloader and it boots Snow Leopard in both 32 and 64 bits kernel with 1366x768 resolution, but it doesn't let you change to others resolutions because OSX doesn't load vanilla X3100 kexts (because they don't match with GMA4500 ids).

Then, I patched 10.6.2 X3100FB kext with the method explained in this post (changing 2a028086 to 2a428086 values in info.plist and in binary with a hex editor) and I can boot Snow Leopard in both kernel with full native resolution and the posibility to change between resolutions.

Now the goal is, like most of you, get QE/CI support.

There are some posts to help to get QE/CI in X3100 cards, I think it's with Paulicat's Natit.kext, but I don't know if it works with Snow Leo, I think it's just for Leopard. Do you think it's worth to go that way and try to make a similar Natit.kext for SnowLeo? Maybe with a DSDT patch?

GMA4500_patches.zip

About the new MBPs with i3/i5 CPUs and GL4x chips - not earlier than August. So we have 7 months to get QE/CI from the X3100 kext, before Apple make the real one for the GMA HD GPUs ...

where did you get that one mate? apple would be darn crazy if they'd do that cause i3/5/7 is already shipping to other OEM(i.e. Hp)s so they would lose customers. besides, Geekbench test shows new MB pro with i7 http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/02...be.32pc.faster/

So let's just assume that with the launch of 10.6.4 i5/i7 support will be in :)

Ok but 10.6.3 isn`t here yet, what about 10.6.4.... :)

sure thing bro, 10.6.3 is already being seeded to ADC members but contains only some minor references on the new MB's. So, long story short, yeah 10.6.4 is the safest bet for now.

You try put this resolution with DisplayConfigX?

Not allow 1280x800, only 1024x800 or 1024x768 + 1152x864 ***I think is possible put manually in "Resolution" menu + add button and restart after repair permissions...

Back results, ok? Tks

hi, max

I have tried your method.

And boom i get a "out of sync" message from my monitor.

how to fix that?

Is there any chance that someone has made a driver for the X4500 MHD? It's basically what's been holding me off from using OS X Snow Leopard or Leopard.

hi, max

I have tried your method.

And boom i get a "out of sync" message from my monitor.

how to fix that?

Hi...like im said before...its very difficult put works this card, especially if your native resolution was not 1280x800. I dont know why, but for some people works my both methods, and for anothers, not work.

"Sorry about that, Chief!!" (Agent 86)

Tks and really sorry...!!!!

Hi...like im said before...its very difficult put works this card, especially if your native resolution was not 1280x800. I dont know why, but for some people works my both methods, and for anothers, not work.

"Sorry about that, Chief!!" (Agent 86)

Tks and really sorry...!!!!

The kext I used was the one suggested in another thread. It worked, but the screen was purple =/