Leopard 10.5.2 Step by Step for Dell Inspiron 9400/E1705

joeventura

15 posts in this topic

Many have asked what is the best laptop for OSX86?

I struggled with that and after doing a lot of research on this site I have found that the best hardware that most people seem to agree upon is the Dell Inspiron 9400/E1705

As of Oct 2008 you can get a good quality 2Ghz Dual Core, 2Gb Ram, 100GB HDD for about $600 USD on Ebay (plus shipping)

I have spent the better part of a month installing various distributions of OSX86 on this system and the following is my step by step process on how to get the best results for this laptop.

This is a more detailed step by step than you may be used to seeing on this site as most people who post these things talk in short hand, abbreviations, and make assumptions of what you should know or where to find stuff. I provide you all the links to all the threads for all the add ons etc.

This website would be of much greater value if others did the same instead of forcing beginners to ask a dozen questions in leiu of you just writing the tutorial right the first time.

I hope this helps and I look forward to hearing from you.

Dell Inspiron 9400/E1705 - 2 Gb RAM Dual Core 2GHz

Install instructions

What you need:

Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD

Sonotone Dell Laptops Post-installer http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=97966

That's it!

Power up the laptop

Go into Bios Setup (F2 at boot)

Disable Dual Core in the Performance section of the BIOS setup

Also Disable Firewire (firewire and USB don't seem to work well together)

Save BIOS setting and reboot and go into setup F12 and Boot from CD/DVD

Boot Kalway 10.5.2 from DVD

Choose Language

Run Disk utility

Erase Drive, Choose Mac OS extended (journaled)

Name Drive Leopard (or anything without numbers or spaces or Symbols)

Exit Disk Utility when erase is done

Click Continue in Install process

Click Agree on License Screen

Click Customize

1. Kernel = Choose all the Kernels

2. Graphics = Nvidia GE Force Go

3. Audio = Intel NVidia VIA ATI HDAudiocontroller, NVidiaAC97Audio,REaltek Sigmatel Conexant and sigmatel_9200_inspiron_9400

4. Network = AppleBCM440XEthernet

5. Wireless = IO80211Family, AtherosWirelessAdapter

6. MOBO Chipsets = I selected all

7. Patches = Selected all except:

OLD_SMBIOS_1.0.1

Boot_with_CPUS=1 Flag

and Francais pc Keyboard layout

Click Done

Click install

Reboot when install is done

Fill out all the Welcome {censored}

Install the Sonotone Dell Laptops Post-installer - XPS, Inspiron, Vostro, Lattitude,

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=97966

Choose:

Graphics - Nvidia GE Force Go

Power Management

Speedstep Enabler

Battery Meter

Lid Sleep

Apple HDA shutdown Fix

Trackpad Scrolling For Inspiron 9400

Other

Media Key Enabler

Dual Core Kernels 9.2 -> 9.4 (choose 9.2)

After complete do a Shutdown

Go into Bios Setup (F2 at boot) and Enable Dual Core in the Performance section of the BIOS setup

Save

Reboot

Go into system preferences: Sound

Adjust Sound Input and Output and levels in System Preferences

Then turn up volume on front Media Buttons

Sound should now work

Install Quicktime 7.5.5 for Leopard from Apple.com (or latest Quicktime)

Insert a DVD Video disc into the DVD drive, go to the View Menu then Deinterlace, choose BETTER Quality or else you will not be able to play DVDs

What should work:

Ethernet

Wireless Ethernet

Dual Cores

Sound

Media Buttons

Trackpad Scrolling

Speedstep

CD/DVD Burner

Video QE & CI up to 1440X900 resolution

Time Machine

What should not work:

Media card reader

Sleep

What is borderline:

USB devices seem to only be recognized if installed prior to power up of laptop

If you have any data as to how to get USB recognized normally or a good process to get Sleep working please let me know.

hi joeventura,

just wanted to correct few points if you don't mind :)

- You don't need anymore to install appleHda shutdown fix, the lastest sound kext correct this bug.

- sleep should works (don't install USB EHCI sleep from package) and USB/Firewire also.

- If you boot with cpus=1 flag you don't need to disable one core from bios settings.

Maybe issues you enconted are related to your install disk options, don't know.

But actually i have a fully working (except card reader, and cheap wireless replacement card needed) decent laptop and easily upgradable.

cheers.

joe, i have an e1705 and i made it up to 10.5.4 successfully. going to try netkas method to get to 10.5.5 (keeps fingers crossed) best thing to do is after updates, to reinstall all devices and kexts from that installer as a precaution. after 10.5.3 to 10.5.4 my keyboard, sound, ethernet, and graphics weren't what i customized into my 10.5.3. no worries, booting into safe mod and using that WONDERFUL post installer fixes everything! sonotone is the man.

great link, joeventura. been using his installer after every update to restore my devices (apple ruins your install of most things after an update!)

after 10.5.1 kalyway install, that file helped me get up to 10.5.3 no problems, just installed the patches that i needed and voila! very easy computers to get osx86 running on!! =P for 10.5.4, use the apple update, and use the installer yet again to repatch everything. easy as pie. do you plan on getting to 10.5.5?

Hey, I'm about to purchase this laptop off my friend and I'm pretty much sold but I'm just curious about

the vga/dvi and svideo output, is that functioning?

Hi, Sonotone thanks for the awesome postinstaller

I've got a question, I'm buying the 9400 off a friend and I was wondering if you used

kalyway for your install? I'm thinking about using iatkos v4i...and which post installer should I download?

you have 3 different versions of the latest build.

Thanks in advance.

hi joeventura,

just wanted to correct few points if you don't mind :wacko:

- You don't need anymore to install appleHda shutdown fix, the lastest sound kext correct this bug.

- sleep should works (don't install USB EHCI sleep from package) and USB/Firewire also.

- If you boot with cpus=1 flag you don't need to disable one core from bios settings.

Maybe issues you enconted are related to your install disk options, don't know.

But actually i have a fully working (except card reader, and cheap wireless replacement card needed) decent laptop and easily upgradable.

cheers.

• 6 months later...

Hi to everybody. Nice and very helpful forum. :)

Just two questions before starting my first installation. Crossing my fingers...

If I install a 10.5.6 straight away (like Ipc x86 Final) with voodoo kernel on a 9400 do I have to do the bios 1 core trick or can I bypass that and the 2 cores are recognized automatically?

Which chipset must I choose in the options? In the Ipc I have these choices:

Intel ICHx SATA Drivers

LegacyApplelntelPIIXATA

Intel ICH10 SATA Support

AppleNForceATA nForce Drivers

NVIDIA MCP67 Drivers

jMicronATA for JMicron IDE

LegacyJMicronATA

SAS Chipset Support

Silicon Image 3132 Drivers

Silicon Image 3124 Drivers

VIA/SiS/Marvell/SB Chipset Drivers

thanks a lot

Luca

• 4 months later...

Hi there! Joe, you saved my life!

I finally have a fully functional version of Leo on my dell (no SD, no sleep wich i never use anyways)

Video at 1900x1200 :D

Any sucessiful attemps on upgrading to 10.5.6 yet?

If you want any info as for my instal, let me know!

I finally have a fully functional version of Leo on my dell (no SD, no sleep wich i never use anyways)

Video at 1900x1200 :D

Video at 1900x1200 ;)

Hi MacMaluco, it would be nice to see here your step by step install, with your full hardware data (what insp 9400?, CPU?, Videoboard?, RAM. etc.) Wat about additional screen on DVIout?

• 1 month later...

Is wireless eithernet the same as wifi----> cause for the life of me I can not figure out how to make the wifi work. This tutorial was great and got me right on thrack everything else seems to work fine., but no go on the wifi. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Kalyway 10.5.2

Inspiron e1705

Thanks

• 4 months later...
Click Customize

1. Kernel = Choose all the Kernels

6. MOBO Chipsets = I selected all

WHAT? with THIS you got a working installation?????? If I only choose TWO kernels I get kernel panic during the installation process...

• 4 months later...

I have followed this guide step by step and I ran into some problems. I did everything except install Nvidia drivers, but instead installed Intel 950 since that's the card I have. Also, I couldn't find the Apple HDA shutdown fix in sonotone's package.

My computer boots into the OSX fine after the installation, however after I install sonotone's package with the recommended drivers provided in this guide, my computer gets stuck on the black screen. I have tried connecting an external display and nothing shows up there. I have also tried using -s, which gives me a firewire error and does not let me continue.

I'll try playing around with it some more but as you guys already know, it takes a bit to install and reinstall constantly. If anyone can help me I'd truly appreciate it.