Fring for iPhone works great.

macgirl

13 posts in this topic

any word if it deletes all your text messages after a while?

the beta versions had a known error within it that wiped all your texts messages in about 2 weeks - thats the only thing thats stopping me dl'ng this now.

i dont care much that its on the app store - that in know way gaurentees that this app has been fixed.

Did you test it with Asterisk PBX?

No.

There is already a hack that let you make VOIP calls on 3G, bypass the restriction of WiFi VOIP only.

You can find it on mininova.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey macgirl

Your SIP is not getting blocked by TELCEL?

I usually have to VPN myself to get SIP working through TELMEX

No, is not blocked, and it was never blocked by Telmex neither.

There is a law that appeared on COFETEL months ago that prohibit TELMEX (or any Internet provider in Mexico) to block VoIP ports or anything, since they just a connection to Internet not the owners of Internet (well nobody are btw).

@MacGirl,

my friend in JPN just got her iphone recently (softbank co. 3G),

besides using fring, it will be interesting to know if unlocking is possible so that she can choose a different plan maybe at a company other than softbank.

If unlocked, are there features lost?

Gracias por tu tiempo amiga, cuidate y sigue con los buenos posts ~~~ヾ(^∇^) ♪

You can tell your friend that the hacked copy of Fring works great over Softbank 3G.

Fring ranks #1 on my list of killer apps... it's going to save me so much in voice calls back to the US.

And as far as unlocking, if you really want to shell out the money, there's some sort of hardware-based SIM solution, but I can't remember what it was called... and it's not really an unlock in the truest sense, but it exists if you're in a rush to ditch Softbank.

@macgirl, thanks for the info on the current 3G unlocking development.

By the way, I tried in JPN to use my prepaid sim in the iphone, and it didnt work. From your post in another thread you say you did it succesfully in Mex with telcel, right?

If you have sometime later, I would like to ask you some about iphone in Mex as the prices are overpriced.

@Voltic,

thanks for the info. thus, with out jailbreaking it there is no skype working fring right?

Yes successfull with prepaid SIMs (Amigo Kit), even telcel is selling the iPhone in PAYG (Amigo Kit) since October 3.

Sure SUB Marcos, we can do it in the spanish sub-forum, there is an iPhone thread there.

Skype works with Fring no matter if it is Jailbroke or not, the only thing that Jailbreak brings to Fring is the ability to use it on 3G becuas by default is restricted for WiFi, you can search the patched Fring, but there is also a patch that makes several apps to work that are restricted to work on WiFi only to fool them and make them think they are on WiFi when they are really on 3G, search it on Cydia as VOIPover3G, it can be customized for other apps modifying a .plist file.

Also there is another VOIP app for the iPhone, from Pennytel (Australian provider) which I already had from 2 years ago, I liked their rates becaus they charge you for seconds and not rouded minutes.

....the only thing that Jailbreak brings to Fring is the ability to use it on 3G becuas by default is restricted for WiFi,

There is also a "backgrounding" tool in cydia. Pretty usefull for staying online with fring.

Btw, does anybody still has the sipgate.app removed from cydia recently? Its a client from sipgate, a German VOIP provider. Looking like hell for that beta.

Cheers

Sorry I don't happen to have that one myself.

For any curious ones out there, information and a guide about the Fring 3G hack can be found here.

As far as unlocking, they're a lot closer than they were just a few weeks ago, but it's anybody's guess.

Now, there are a lot of SIM 'solutions' that basically sit between the SIM you'd like to use and your iPhone's SIM reader.

I don't recommend these because of the issues that come along with them, such as poor reception, dropped calls, data services only working for a couple hours at a time before they quit working altogether, and no incoming calls or SMS messages whatsoever.

Some of the newer ones have fixed these problems, but I still recommend you stay away from these, because the method they use to trick the phone actually ends up transmitting false information to the cellular network, which could be highly illegal in your country. Think of it like trying to use a fake ID.