Problems with EP45-DS3R

JBLanteigne

27 posts in this topic

Hi,

First, you can find the specs of my machine in my signature. I installed with kalyway 10.5.2 and I'm still in 10.5.2 but I had the same problems when I tried 10.5.5 (I thought some of them were due to the update, and I also got the itunes and quicktime update.. I thought the youtube bug might be because of that so I reinstalled.

So, here are my problems:

1- no sound output or input detected, I tried HDAEnabler.kext, AppleHDA.kext and ALCinject.kext maybe there's something I did not understand.

I know the integrated sound is ALC889A

2- Youtube videos getting stuck after 2 seconds of play. That's weird, they just stop, if I move the dot on the video timeline it restarts but once again, stops after 2 seconds.

3- I use a software called Renoise, when I try to access the Preferences, it crashes (the software is used to make music and the preferences are partially linked to sound output/input so I hope this crash is only due to my audio problem)

I need your help, thanks.

Do you have an extra hard drive laying around?.....Happen to have access or the ability to get your hands on an retail Leopard image? You dont need to use those kalyway or any other modified distro disks, thats what i think your problem is. Retail is a much better option for this board

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=86167

follow the guide v4.3 closely. He also includes a working driver for your vid card as well in those instructions.

Ok that sounds good. I see that we have the same motherboard

with this install you got the sound working and everything?

Why do I need an extra drive? (and yes I have some)

and if I can download a burnable leopard image then yes I can have a retail dvd

Thanks for the guide I'll read it carefully.

Ok that sounds good. I see that we have the same motherboard

with this install you got the sound working and everything?

Why do I need an extra drive? (and yes I have some)

and if I can download a burnable leopard image then yes I can have a retail dvd

Thanks for the guide I'll read it carefully.

I actually have a cheap usb audio adapter that works well. All are natively supported by os x. I'd reccomend going to buy one. You get mic in and everything. Got mine for around 15 bucks. And you dont even need to burn it, just get the dmg or something you can mount. You basically install the retail version while your inside your kalyway install on to another drive in those instructions in that link i posted. And just follow that guide and you'll be up and running perfectly. Just make sure you have your sata set to AHCI in bios instead of disabled if you use sata drives. And also make sure you have the latest bios update which is F10

Ya I'm already using AHCI, before I use it, mac thought my hdd was a 128gb.

The lastest bios update for the EP45-DS3R is F10? really? Ok I'm going to update this. not sure how but it shouldn't be too hard.

about the audio, I don't have it right now but I bought a firewire card for my studio monitors.. so if the audio won't work, its ok I don't need it.

I'm getting the iso tonight and I already got the kext and various patches and stuff files from his guide. I hope this works.

oh.. my other hdd (for the first kalyway install so I can install the retail on my 500gb) is an IDE drive, I hope that will work with Kalyway, ... but I did use the same IDE hdd with the same kalyway dvd for my old computer.

I read the guide v4.3 everything seems quite easy but at the end of step 5 there's this:

5. REBOOT into your new install

Does that mean that I boot mac os x on the drive that I'm currently installing on with the retail dvd?

and then at step 6 he starts with:

1. go into V4.2 folder on your desktop

Does that mean that at the end of step 5, I reboot and boot the hdd on which I'm installing mac os x now via the retail dvd (to like "update" what I did in step 5) and like reboot again, go back to my first installation (the one with kalyway) to do step 6?

Thanks in advance.

The lastest bios update for the EP45-DS3R is F10? really? Ok I'm going to update this. not sure how but it shouldn't be too hard.

about the audio, I don't have it right now but I bought a firewire card for my studio monitors.. so if the audio won't work, its ok I don't need it.

I'm getting the iso tonight and I already got the kext and various patches and stuff files from his guide. I hope this works.

oh.. my other hdd (for the first kalyway install so I can install the retail on my 500gb) is an IDE drive, I hope that will work with Kalyway, ... but I did use the same IDE hdd with the same kalyway dvd for my old computer.

I read the guide v4.3 everything seems quite easy but at the end of step 5 there's this:

Does that mean that I boot mac os x on the drive that I'm currently installing on with the retail dvd?

Does that mean that at the end of step 5, I reboot and boot the hdd on which I'm installing mac os x now via the retail dvd (to like "update" what I did in step 5) and like reboot again, go back to my first installation (the one with kalyway) to do step 6?

Thanks in advance.

Reboot into your new install is exactly like it sounds lol. After you run the post patch you can then boot into the new hdd and then go from there. You wont ever have to go back into your old installation.

Weird you wouldn't think that old limit for IDE drives would be there it should be LBA48 enabled which I believe gives you theoretically terabytes in capacity.

Should be 10g a beta BIOS does not matter though mine was at F7 when I insalled. To upgrade the easiest way is to download the .exe from Gigabytes site extract the files in windows to copy the EP45DS3R.10g file to a USB key then when you boot and enter the BIOS hit the F8 key I believe it is to use the built in flashing program. Use the save copy of installed BIOS first to save to the key then flash with the new rebooting going into the BIOS again to load the optimized defaults saving then exiting the BIOS now you go back in and set the options needed.

It worked when I tested it on mine using the HDA Patcher plus a 889a.txt codec dump but I use a FireWave to get 5.1 sound which bring me to the second part the firewire ports work out of the box as they say so no need for the firewire card.

Doubt it Kalyway is real picky with the IDE devices used during install or afterwords for that matter better off sticking to SATA with AHCI enabled.

Thanks in advance.

No clue never used it if your going to have the retail dvd you may want to look into the boot132 method of doing the install using it..

Jae-Z: so after step 5 I don't go back to my old installation, however, I'll will still need the v4.2 folder and its files.. so I just go get it again (its on my usb stick anyway) to continue on step 6.. seems good I can't wait to try it.

Thanks, this boot132 seems easy and effective.

so, macuser2525 you say that you never used it? I think I saw your comment on the first page saying it worked..

anyway.. I wanna try that v4.3 first.. I'm trying it as soon as the 7gb download finishes.. hehe

edit: I've got another question: Would it be possible to do the v4.3 using only 1 hdd, and partitioning it. Like, if I do this:

My hdd is currently 1 partition with kalyway on it.

Disk utility, change the size of the kalyway partition, I then would do like in his guide:

"Then choose Volume Scheme: 1 Partition (change if you know what your doing)

Then fill in the Name with: Macintosh

Leave default format, Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Click Options: GUID Partition Table, click OK

Click Apply"

Would his guide work with that? I think that's what I'm going to try.

and about the kernel.. should I leave it as Vanilla or use Modbin 9.4 (by unhashing the 3 lines...)

Jae-Z: so after step 5 I don't go back to my old installation, however, I'll will still need the v4.2 folder and its files.. so I just go get it again (its on my usb stick anyway) to continue on step 6.. seems good I can't wait to try it.

so, macuser2525 you say that you never used it? I think I saw your comment on the first page saying it worked..

anyway.. I wanna try that v4.3 first.. I'm trying it as soon as the 7gb download finishes.. hehe

edit: I've got another question: Would it be possible to do the v4.3 using only 1 hdd, and partitioning it. Like, if I do this:

My hdd is currently 1 partition with kalyway on it.

Disk utility, change the size of the kalyway partition, I then would do like in his guide:

"Then choose Volume Scheme: 1 Partition (change if you know what your doing)

Then fill in the Name with: Macintosh

Leave default format, Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Click Options: GUID Partition Table, click OK

Click Apply"

Would his guide work with that? I think that's what I'm going to try.

and about the kernel.. should I leave it as Vanilla or use Modbin 9.4 (by unhashing the 3 lines...)

It would be kinda tricky doing it on one hdd cuz you'd have to mess around with the boot loader and etc, i never really got into that. But go all vanilla, you dont need the Modbin

I made the partition and right now, when I boot, it's asking me If I want to boot Leopard (how I called my kalyway partition) or boot Macintosh (thats the partition I made for the retail dvd installation)

So, I guess I won't have any problems to boot it after I install on the same hdd.

Now I just have to wait for my retail dvd iso..

I made the partition and right now, when I boot, it's asking me If I want to boot Leopard (how I called my kalyway partition) or boot Macintosh (thats the partition I made for the retail dvd installation)

So, I guess I won't have any problems to boot it after I install on the same hdd.

Now I just have to wait for my retail dvd iso..

Lol got mine quick via rapidshare :( You getting the latest 10.5.4 retail image or just 10.5?

It's either 10.5 or 10.5.1

I got it but I downloaded it on another computer and now I have no way to move the 7gb file to my mac..

I was planning to use my archos media player which has a 80gb hdd.. but it says the 7.66gb .dmg file (including some updates and craps that I won't be using) is too big to be copied on my drive (and I made sure that I had enough free space.. weird)

so I guess I will just use like 7zip to split the file... I hope this work.

I can see where the confusion would arise I "followed that guide" way back in February it looked nothing like it does now it has been edited so many times since then..

Vanilla kernel works great I don't see any reason to add possible upgrade problems in the future.

I got it but I downloaded it on another computer and now I have no way to move the 7gb file to my mac..

No way to connect them together through a network/ad hoc cables/putting drive into Mac temporarily??

I can see where the confusion would arise I "followed that guide" way back in February it looked nothing like it does now it has been edited so many times since then..

Ohh yea.. that makes sense.

Vanilla kernel works great I don't see any reason to add possible upgrade problems in the future.

Great, that's good to know.

No way to connect them together through a network/ad hoc cables/putting drive into Mac temporarily??

hmm both computer are on the same network, however I don't know how to access the files of a computer on the other computer. (mac to pc communication)

ad hoc cable? first time I hear that name.. besides that I work somewhere called "Ad hoc Research"

putting drive into mac, I would have done that.. but the 2nd computer is a laptop, I don't feel like opening it.

Here's my solution: I splitted the file into 10 .zip parts so I can move them with either my usb stick and/or my media player. I'm not sure if I can unzip them in mac but if I can't I can put them on the 2nd harddrive (the one for my data and stuff) plug that one in another desktop pc (which was my main pc until I built this one in my sig) then I can unzip the .dmg and leave it on that data drive.. and go back to mac... That's what I'm going to do later today.. then I will install.. I can't wait to see if it's going to work.

hmm both computer are on the same network, however I don't know how to access the files of a computer on the other computer. (mac to pc communication)

That is simple just turn on the file and printer sharing on the windows machine then on your Mac you can browse the share on the windows machine in finder. I usually put the connect button in the toolbar then you can open the connect window with it and either use the browse button to see the shared machines on your network or type in the IP address to connect. Works great you end up with a tiny BSOD icon for windows machines don't know if you can see it in the picture or not, works for sharing between Mac's as well.

ad hoc cable? first time I hear that name.. besides that I work somewhere called "Ad hoc Research"

You know anything like a crossover rj45 cable so you could directly connect the machine using the NIC port, serial cable if they both had the ports probably take forever with that, both machines open I/O cable going from one into the other, pretty much whatever it takes to get the job done.

putting drive into mac, I would have done that.. but the 2nd computer is a laptop, I don't feel like opening it.

Tough doing it there then.

Here's my solution: I splitted the file into 10 .zip parts so I can move them with either my usb stick and/or my media player. I'm not sure if I can unzip them in mac but if I can't I can put them on the 2nd harddrive (the one for my data and stuff) plug that one in another desktop pc (which was my main pc until I built this one in my sig) then I can unzip the .dmg and leave it on that data drive.. and go back to mac... That's what I'm going to do later today.. then I will install.. I can't wait to see if it's going to work.

Probably simpler using the network but if that works go for it.

post-177709-1223225419_thumb.png

Good news and bad news.

I followed the 4.3 install guide and it's a success... I tweaked the guide a little.

I did everything on my 500gb hdd.. the macintosh partition being 400gb and the kalyway one being about 65gb.

since the kalyway installation makes some nice boot loader already.. I skipped step 5 and I rebooted into the macintosh partition right after running post-patch.sh

Now I would like to know: Can I use the automatic updates? (not like upgrading to a possible 10.5.6 but to update the softwares)

Ok now the bad news.. This new installation feels good but I still have no sound (I need help with the patch, it says like drag the dump on the icon.. when I do it, nothing happens)

The youtube videos still get stuck after 2 sec (I mean.. that's weird.. that has to be something with flash or java or whatever.. help please..

and the software that I use that crash when I open the preference menu (which are directly related to sound output and input) still crashes.. however I'm pretty sure this is linked with my sound problem.. (and maybe the youtube is too)

Anyway, I'm going to get my firewire sound card in 1-2 days so maybe that will fix everything.

and I would like to thank you guys for your help.. with all the questions that I asked and the answer than I received, installing OS X with the retail dvd was smooth and easy.

If you havent gotten that audio working yet....

I recently had a request for more detail on how I got ALC889a working.

I have attached the kext and efistudio.

1. Delete the previous applehda.kext at /System/Library/Extensions and any other sound kext you may have installed. do nothing on a fresh install

2. Download attachments and copy kext to /System/Library/Extensions

3. Apply the kexts using

sudo -s
(password)

cd /system/library/extensions
chmod -R 755 * && chown -R root:wheel *
cd ..
rm extensions.mkext
kextcache -a i386 -e

then restart

4. Set Azaila audio to "enable" in your BIOS. Then run EFIStudio

5. Select the device type as HDA, then click the add device button, it should have automatically inserted a whole bunch of code, then click the add to the boot.plist button

6. Restart

If this doesnt work for you let me know and ill help further.

Download

Everything works

Ok I got some problems with this one.

first, when it says "copy kext to /system/blabla" It is like.. move the file in that folder.. right? I think I got that part ;)

then the stuff in terminal.. when I enter the "chmod -R 755..." line, it says the file is not found, same with the rm extensions.mkext. However, I can see that very file just under the extensions folder in /system/library

My bios says that Azaila is set to "AUTO" so I guess that's ok.

Now when I run EFIStudio, there's no such thing as HDA device type. all I get is Display, Ethernet, AZAL and HDEF.

What did I do wrong?

and thanks again for all that help!

Ok I got some problems with this one.

first, when it says "copy kext to /system/blabla" It is like.. move the file in that folder.. right? I think I got that part :rolleyes:

then the stuff in terminal.. when I enter the "chmod -R 755..." line, it says the file is not found, same with the rm extensions.mkext. However, I can see that very file just under the extensions folder in /system/library

Probably because it should have been cd /System/Library/Extensions from the starting command to change to the proper directory then Extensions.mkext with the correct capitalization.The chmod and chown should have just worked possibly screwing your system depending on what directory you were in when the command was issued so its good they did not work, you may want to use diskutil repairPermissions / after using the sudo -s to make sue you have the permissions correctly set for the system.

My bios says that Azaila is set to "AUTO" so I guess that's ok.

Now when I run EFIStudio, there's no such thing as HDA device type. all I get is Display, Ethernet, AZAL and HDEF.

What did I do wrong?

and thanks again for all that help!

The last two are the sound options depending how you have it then it is either the AZAL for the Azaila sound or if you connected/configured it to Intel High Definition audio then the HDEF is what you want.

Ok I redid it and now it's working!

So yes, the sound is now fully working (all that for something that I won't use: I'm getting my firewire sound card in 2 days...)

that fixed the youtube bug and the renoise bug (the two other problems that I had)

Thanks a lot, my mac is now 100% functional!

edit: the sound worked for a while.. I went in the sound preferences to turn off the sound effects and since then, the output at the back of the motherboard stopped working.. what's wrong? I rebooted, still nothing. However, the headphone out on the top of my case is fully working.. (weird since its also pluged in the mobo)

edit2: now VLC is also acting weird.. every 1.5sec there's a like 0.3sec mute.. how can I fix that?