KDE4, your view now?

Alessandro17

37 posts in this topic

In view of the upcoming release season (Ubuntu, openSUSE, Debian, Mandriva, Fedora...), what is your position now regarding KDE4?

Mine is to avoid distros which do not offer KDE3.5 at least as a choice (all my favourites do).

By the following release season I'll see how KDE4.2, or even 4.3 is doing and decide what to do next.

BTW, I find myself very much in agreement with this guy:

http://thelinuxrant.com/kde-4-sucks-big-time.html

Having been a long time KDE 3.x user before coming to OS X, I can't stand the current look of KDE 4.x

Icons are generally too big by default and layouts are less than optimal.

Just compare KDE System Settings window to OS X's System Preferences window and the difference is remarkable.

Simple things such as a slight shading between groups makes readability so much easier. (Vista's Control Panel in Category View doesn't do it either.)

Maybe in a few years KDE will approach this level, but for me, my days of "playing"/experimenting with the OS are over and I'm just looking for productivity. :(

Maybe in a few years KDE will approach this level

Actually somebody said that "KDE3 is the best DE of the last 25 years".

I tend to agree with them, at least in terms of usability and features.

KDE4, OTOH leaves a lot to desire from those points of view.

Doing a pretty face is not all. KDE4 is just that. They need years of hard working to make it useful again

That is why I hope somebody keeps maintaining KDE3. Hell, that isn't a fork. That is keeping a DE loved by millions alive.

technically, KDE4(.1) is the best DE ever made. with its frameworks like phonon its really simple to build apps and integrate them in KDE.

the problem atm is that the designs and layouts aren't "finished" yet. they have to be refined to get the user experience people have with kde 3.5 but also see the benefits of the changes made to enhance KDE.

KDE4 vision is the right path to follow, it will take time, but once everything is pluged with everything, it will be even more user friendly than OSX. Everything will work with everything (akonadi, nepomuk, strigi, kjobs, plasma, solid and phonon have been designed to do that). The "port" will be long (KDE application are basically the same than in KDE3.5, just with QT4 and bigger toolbar). You will see, all will be better, it is a meter of time. The path that KDE took is hard to follow and will required a lot of effort, but it will pay. Gnome vision (or lack of) suck, they have met their goal and now add some useless bloat to it. They even start to copy the KDE3 roadmap (at least 1 apps for each task), this is the opposite of the original Gnome goal (leave it to 3rd party but provide a totaly open API). Gnome will eventually die out of progress while KDE accepted to recive some critics to be sure to move foward to met future desktop standard.

Elv13

I hope you are right. But then the problem is that distros started too soon shoving KDE4 down users' throat's.

What happens if you use openSUSE or Mandriva? You don't find KDE3.5 among the default De's selection. In the case of Mandriva you don't find it on the DVD at all (imagine if you are on dial-up).

Many new user tried KDE4 and hated it. Typical scenario: a lot of people downloaded openSUSE 11.0 KDE LiveCD: available only as KDE4 (later somebody created an unofficial KDE3 one).

It was hated by most and I can't blame them.

I still use KDE 4.1 from time to time.

I personally think it's nice, but I can't wait for:

-easier way to build custom qt4 themes.

-More custom icon packs.

-More plasma themes.

And the big one:

-Overall fixedness.

I love the ideas and implementations, but it still needs to radically mature.

That said, what IS there is awesome.

And even better, most KDE4 apps will have Windows, Mac, BSD, WinMobile, and Solaris ports, so you'll at least be able to enjoy Amarok or KDEnlive on another OS without too much hassle. (And, some plasma dev has been working on getting the entire Plasma desktop shell to work instead of Explorer.exe in Windows. Neat.

I tried KDE 4 and immediately abandoned it. Yuck. I already hated KDE enough as it is with their neverending joke of prefixing everything with the letter "K."

I'm personally digging minimalist desktops using Fluxbox.