How about a small linux box (should I say tiny)

Kane Adams

20 posts in this topic

The price is hilarious! XD

If you need to save that much space, you obviously don't even have the money to get a decent size place. How would you pay for that???

I don't know, they don't seem that much money? $250 $350 something like that

Fit-PC Slim Linux

512MB RAM, WiFi, 60GB Hard Disk

Ubuntu 8.04 and Gentoo 2008.0 pre-installed Usually ships in 1 week $295

+ $20 Shipping

http://www.fit-pc.com/new/ordering-fit-pc-...-us-canada.html

Considering the specs, way way over priced. I can build a Core 2 Duo system for roughly that price...

Think your missing the point here.

they are small so take up less room

They are silent so not a pain to have in the front room.

They are not for gaming etc, they are for surfing the web checking email running a media center in the TV room etc.

Think your missing the point here.

they are small so take up less room

They are silent so not a pain to have in the front room.

They are not for gaming etc, they are for surfing the web checking email running a media center in the TV room etc.

I can see the point from a novelty factor, but...

1] It doesn't matter how small it is. It still has to connect to a big mouse, a big keyboard, a big monitor, and a big set of speakers. Therefore, taking up the same amount of useful space (considering most people just shove the tower in the space not used under their desk) as a normal tower.

2] It doesn't matter how quite it is, because most systems nowadays are dead silent. Especially home built systems because of the choice of superior fans and cooling that is available now.

3] It doesn't matter if they are not for gaming, etc. because a Core 2 or Pentium Dual-Core system could do the same thing plus more for a relatively similar price...

4] The basic factor of this machine is the novelty niche. The... "Look how small my computer is?" and pulling out of your back pocket niche. I admit, that would be sort of cool, but in terms of actual usefulness and a valuable consumer purchase, it offers nothing...

Just my opinion though...

By the way, I am not trying to {censored} on your find, or your backing of the find. I am just giving my honest opinion considering the situation. That is the point of forums? Right?

Considering the specs, way way over priced. I can build a Core 2 Duo system for roughly that price...

I feel the same too. After all, for about 500 Euro in Italy yo can buy a laptop with specs much better than that "thing".

And a laptop has everything you need and doesn't take much space.

I know some don't think about it but the cost of living is going up and it is no going to stop.

With the AC and heat here and then add the computers I have it is costing us a lot of money.

We need to start cutting some cost and the computer is some place to start.

I have replaced one monitor with an LCD and plan on replacing the other three soon.

If you just live at home and don't pay for this stuff you tend to care less. but start having it come out of your pay check and you'll know what I'm talking about.

I spend about 350 Euro every 2 months for electricity bills in the winter (in the summer a little less), but I am sure it is heating my house and water which pushes the bill so high.

I have also an old fridge which I am going to replace with a new one I have in another flat.

In the future I am also planning to use my laptop more, especially for very long downloads.

This is just what i need here at home and the price at 120.00 is fair too.

Boots off CF or other drives. even runs windows. lol

Details Order Now The MicroClient Jr. is a revolutionary device that is especially designed for installations having limited physical space and temperature concerns. It does not matter if you are in a jammed office, a crowded place, or public transportation - it can be easily integrated with a VESA LCD to bring you computer access at any time.

It can attach to any VESA mounting fixture, allowing it to be securely mounted onto desks, room walls, or buildings, and thereby optimizing your work area. It can also attach directly to LCDs of any size to create a mobile system for the use at trade shows, presentations, promotions, etc. Unlike the traditional laptop design, the MicroClient Jr. can be used with a large size LCD. Furthermore, with FANLESS design, MicroClient Jr. is ideal for use in hot climates without air conditioning.

mcjr01.jpg

NorhTec MicroClient Jr. front view

The MicroClient Jr. is the ideal solution when space, power, and environment are factors limiting your options. The MicroClient Jr. is an ultra low cost solution for modest computing applications. The MicroClient Jr. is ideal for creating firewalls, access points, biometrics, low-cost Point of Sale, thin clients, signage, and creating networked appliances.

mcjr02.jpg

NorhTec MicroClient Jr. rear view (shown w. optional serial ports)

The MicroClient Jr. boots directly off CF (Compact Flash), LAN or USB devices. Optional RS232 ports are also available. There are options to add 2.5 IDE drives, WiFi, serial ports etc. Due to space limitations if internal IDE drives are installed, you cannot install WiFi or serial ports.

The MicroClient Jr. is designed for large deployments and in quantities of 1,000 units or more, the MicroClient Jr. is available for only $90.00 USD FOB Thailand. Evaluation units are available now for $120.00 USD. For shipping quotes (single unit) click here.

Features:

• x86 compatible processor
  • 128 MB RAM

• Tiny footprint
  • VESA standard - mount to any LCD

• No cooling fan or moving parts
  • Regular expansion ports - USB/Serial/LAN etc.

mcjr03.JPG

Software:

We can pre-install the unit with GNU/Linux or Windows, as per your requirement.

Available Options & MSRP (US$):

The MicroClient Jr comes in mutiple configurations. Please note that if you want to support an internal 2.5" hard drive then you cannot have WiFi, RS232 or any other option. All units come with a CF (Compact Flash) slot, and the unit can boot from a CF directly.

Base units do not include any software. Prices exclude shipping. Keyboards / mice are not provided. Any PS/2 or USB keyboard and mouse is compatible with all of our systems.

Shipping quotes on single units

MicroClient Jr. w/ option to install HD

MicroClient Jr. w/ two RS232 ports

MicroClient Jr. w/ WiFi

MicroClient Jr. w/ WiFi and two RS232 ports

Accessories (Add to price)

1 GB CF (Compact Flash)

2 GB CF (Compact Flash)

SIAS Full Screen Browser (kiosk mode, installed in 128MB CF)

SIAS Thin Client Software (installed in 128 MB CF)

1 GB CF (Compact Flash) with Puppy Linux / Damn Small Linux

http://www.norhtec.com/products/mcjr/index.html

Concerning your point 1).......

Problem solved!!

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboard...48&cl=US,EN

.....and your TV

SticMAN

I can see the point from a novelty factor, but...

1] It doesn't matter how small it is. It still has to connect to a big mouse, a big keyboard, a big monitor, and a big set of speakers. Therefore, taking up the same amount of useful space (considering most people just shove the tower in the space not used under their desk) as a normal tower.

2] It doesn't matter how quite it is, because most systems nowadays are dead silent. Especially home built systems because of the choice of superior fans and cooling that is available now.

3] It doesn't matter if they are not for gaming, etc. because a Core 2 or Pentium Dual-Core system could do the same thing plus more for a relatively similar price...

4] The basic factor of this machine is the novelty niche. The... "Look how small my computer is?" and pulling out of your back pocket niche. I admit, that would be sort of cool, but in terms of actual usefulness and a valuable consumer purchase, it offers nothing...

Just my opinion though...

By the way, I am not trying to {censored} on your find, or your backing of the find. I am just giving my honest opinion considering the situation. That is the point of forums? Right?

I know some don't think about it but the cost of living is going up and it is no going to stop.

With the AC and heat here and then add the computers I have it is costing us a lot of money.

We need to start cutting some cost and the computer is some place to start.

I have replaced one monitor with an LCD and plan on replacing the other three soon.

If you just live at home and don't pay for this stuff you tend to care less. but start having it come out of your pay check and you'll know what I'm talking about.

I do realize that factor with this PC, but I really don't care about my electricity bill.

It ranges from $110 to $150 between October and April, and then from $140 to $210 the rest of the year (You try bearing a Florida summer). My electricity bill is one thing I am will to pay for. Especially considering I watch maybe 2 hours of TV a week, and play video games maybe another 2 hours a week. I rather save on things like gasoline, insurance, and internet bills (which I do) than be sweating to death in my apartment trying to save on energy costs.

By the way, I use an LCD monitor too, but not for the energy savings. It just looks nicer. ;)

For me it is the other way around. Summers are not too hot here (you don't always need air conditioning), but winters are rather cold.

However if I could use natural gas to keep my house warm and my water hot, I could save half the money. Natural gas is available 10 miles from here.