Driver for nForce4 LAN

planetbeing

765 posts in this topic

for my DFI lanparty, i have two LAN ports, for windows, it uses port #2, for mac, with this driver, it works with port #1, is there any way to update driver to use port #2? thanks

You might want to try the Marvel 8001 drivers in this same subforum if you are using port #2.

Hi :graduated: hey I try what you told .. and I get this :

Apr 23 03:53:14 victors-computer kernel[0]: forcedeth: Network link down.

I get essentially the same thing, with my Epox 9NPA+, 10.4.6 JaS. I followed the instructions to the letter, including trying both with and without -nockd.

Got some major update!

Im running a A8N-VM Board with nforce 4 410 chipset.

I got all the stuff to work for now BUT, i wont get any ip adress, im just getting the ol 169.254.51.46, when I boot into windows I get an working ip! :/

Hi, I have the same mobo, did you ever find a solution?

Hi there !

I have a nForce 3 mother board from a Shuttle XPC and network device ID is not present in the list of IDs for the driver. I just come back to Win XP to look for this ID and it seems to be 0x00d6.

I'll add to the list, try again and inform you if it worked or not :blink:

Once you are happy with the performance, you can move it into the main extensions folder and kextload it automatically by adding this line to the top of the /etc/rc file using the nano editor.

"kextload /System/Library/Extensions/forcedeth.kext"

Thanks to planetbeing for writing this driver.

don't quite understand what you mean. works for my MSI K8N Neo4 but how do I get it to load every time I start the machine?

(posting this from safari)

Well, the semester is over, and I have some time to answer some questions, though I don't foresee me doing any more significant development on this.

@VictorCL: It looks like it's just not detecting an ethernet cable connected. If you have two ethernet ports on the computer, try connecting the cable to the other one.

@Mac OSX Coder: It really depends on the hardware, but it may be possible. Each port represents a different PHY. If the MAC (which is what the driver interacts with) can talk to both PHYs, then a modification of the PHY selection code can be made. Instead of selecting the first available PHY, you can select a different one. The code is in the start() function and you can change it yourself if this is the case. However, most of the times when motherboards have two ethernet ports, they have two different controllers. In fact, the second one can be operated by, say, a Marvell controller which means that obviously a nForce driver wouldn't be able to operate it.

@Fuzzlet: That's a bizarre problem. According to your log, OS X isn't really attempting to enable the driver. Try messing around with ifup to see if you can enable it manually. You should see, at least, Enabling 1 2 3, etc.

I'm not sure what's causing the kernel panics. The one I was trying to debug earlier: according to the documentation, there's no way that should happen. Not being a kernel debugger, I've run out of ideas.

Anyone getting superclass errors: The driver is based off of 10.4.5, which is my development platform. Most likely, it can be fixed with a recompile from the target platform (your computer), though it might be easier for you just to upgrade.

don't quite understand what you mean. works for my MSI K8N Neo4 but how do I get it to load every time I start the machine?

(posting this from safari)

1. open terminal

2. sudo -s & enter your password

3. type "nano /etc/rc"

4. type in "kextload <your path>/forcedeth.kext" after the # on top of the rc file

5. save & exit

Great, great job :)

Thanks a whole heap, my old realtec fcked up yesterday and this one makes me using my onboard lan (k8n neo4).

Worked out of the box with dhcp and router. :happymac::blink:

what am i doing wrong?

Open terminal: type in

sudo vi /etc/rc

after the # sign in the top of the file, just enter the

kextload /path/thekextthatyouwannaload.kext

That should fix the problem ;)

If you dont like vi editor, type sudo nano /etc/rc

Alternatively, you could change the plist "depends on safeboot" value.

I m having a minor problem with this driver.

the driver loads correctly at the boot,

it displays that it has been detected, but problem comes when i try to connect.

each time i disconnect and then reconnect, i need to unload and then load the forcedeth.kext, otherwise it fails to detect, whether the LAN cable is connected??

I m also having a Marvell 8001 GigEth. It works fine, but this one provides better bandwidth and support to my ADSL router.

Thanx

when i try to "kextload" it, it says

"forcedeth.kext is not authentic (check ownership and permissions)"

also with a dialog window which says the driver is installed improperly.

but there's nothing really happend in the system.log

what's the prob, anybody?

thanx

I got this to work on my Abit NF8 , nforce3GB chipset. I'm not really sure what LAN chipset I have , in windows all it would say is nvidia LAN or something like that. It does have the Nvidia hardware firewall if thats any help.

I'm having some stability issues aswell , it seems to be linked to my Bittorrent usage. When I'm connected directly to my cable modem and I try and run Azureus it will freeze after an hour or so and require a restart to get a connection back.

I now have it hooked up through a router and all seems to be well , I think the router is slowing down my transfer rates and that seems to be the issue. When I'm connected directly to the modem I get connections from more peers and my download rate can reach 500+KB/s and my upload limit is around 150KB/s which will cause the LAN to stop working. Also the router connects to the modem at just 10Mb speeds , when directly conneted the modem light indicates 10/100.

After further testing the problem seems to be running Azureus while directly connected to the modem , I've been running Azureus while connected through a router for over 8 hours with no problems. I also just transfered a 100MB file from my laptop and everything is still fine.

Hi,

Placed this driver in IONetworking, and forcedeth managed to find my PHY. Yay!

Encountered some initial problems with the driver, I can't connect to the Net. It seems that it is unable to grab a DHCP IP from my router, the IP is still stuck at 169.254.198.124, subnet 255.255.0.0

I've tried to set an manual IP, but to no avail. There's no activity on my router.

Is there anything that I've missed out? I am using the build/release version.

Oh my God...

I have the same problem..........

I am waiting for another Driver to resolve the problem........

Oh my God...

I have the same problem..........

I am waiting for another Driver to resolve the problem........

Hi,

My problem has been solved with the latest revision of the driver. I think you may be using the wrong driver build.

• 2 weeks later...

THANK YOU!

I just want to say one thing you might want to add. I did kextload on forcedeth.kext and the internet wasn't working. I loaded Network in System Preferences and it wanted an 'OK' on the new hardware and get IP from DHCP and it got an IP and it works.

BTW, I have a DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra-D for those keeping count.