Driver for nForce4 LAN

planetbeing

765 posts in this topic

Try this one. The version in dmesg should say 0.3c. I also fixed a stupid error in the one I gave you earlier and added diagnostic messages for the buffer size stuff that the other driver changed. The one that worked for you was what was in "workaroundsource.zip"?

Anyway, try this out and give me the dmesg. Thanks!

Opes: On the performance issue... That's really strange. On my computer, I can get both 2 MB/s upload and download sustained. That's through a university Internet connection and is unlikely to be matched by wi-fi. The gated I/O and indirect interrupts hurt performance somewhat, but theoretically the network would be the bottleneck, not the driver or NIC or the CPU. Hmmm. What kind of processor do you have? I guess it might be possible that the transmission rate is being limited by processor power.

forcedeth.zip

Hiya =)

First off, thanks for taking your time in making this driver. :D Unfortunately, it didn't work on my computer. It said it was installed but I still do not have a connection.

I have attached the log files below

(I'm not sure which one you wanted so I uploaded both of them! :wacko: )

Thanks again!

forcedeth__log.txt

forcedeth.txt

Hey All, great work on the driver. Though I have one question. I have an M61P-S3 mobo built-in lan. I have tried a multitude of forcedeth drivers. Everytime I test it with kextload it freezes the mouse, keyboard, etc. Or another driver I loaded from another forcedeth post loads, but nothing happens the nic doesnt show up in network settings or anything. I was wondering if anyone had a solution. Thanks.

Hey All, great work on the driver. Though I have one question. I have an M61P-S3 mobo built-in lan. I have tried a multitude of forcedeth drivers. Everytime I test it with kextload it freezes the mouse, keyboard, etc. Or another driver I loaded from another forcedeth post loads, but nothing happens the nic doesnt show up in network settings or anything. I was wondering if anyone had a solution. Thanks.

Hello everyone, this is my first post. Thanks to this great forum and everyone who contributes I now have Zephyroth 10.5.2 version working fully with sound and network. I feel now that I should help someone out. This is for Solidus23, I have the exact same mobo you have and I got my internet working by downloading AndrewNeo's modified version of the forcedeth driver for mcp61, just go to page 29 of this thread and its at the top of the page, or try this link to download http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=26207 it's called updated_leopard_plus_mcp61_r1.zip

To install it, just follow the directions from page 1 of this thread. What worked for me in particular was the forcedeth-nockd.kext The others did nothing and nothing worked. As soon as you install it you will get a pop up saying network controller has been detected. And that's all there is to it!! Oh, one more thing, I get the internet freezing that alot of people have been getting when downloading large files or for me, watching youtube vids. Everything freezes and it asks me to restart computer. If you get that then add the cpus=1 boot flag and everything will be fine, although you will only be running on one core, but that beats not having internet, right? Hopefully with a bit more tinkering or possibly a different driver that will go away. If you have any questions hit me back up on here. Good Luck!

Edit: Something I just discovered, it's kind of odd... I've been having to boot with the cpus=1 flag to keep it from freezing on me and having me reboot when I download files or watch online vids. I booted up without cpus=1 and opened the activity monitor to see what's going on with my network and when I do that I can download large files, watch vids, etc.. without it freezing on me, but if I try it without the activity monitor open it will freeze on me and have me restart. Could just be a coincidence but I don't care, as long as I can use both cores and have internet, that's ok with me! Maybe someone else can try it and see if it has the same effect on their computer, if it does, please report back here. I would like to know if it's just an isolated case and I just got plain lucky.

Hi Guys,

Sorry what is the latest driver release then for nForce NIC's? I tried the one in the other topic and am getting all USB devices locking it seems, using nForce 680i SLi and Logitech DiNovo Bluetooth Keyboard and mouse, doesnt seem to just lockup with internet traffic as i removed the ethernet cable and it generally decreases system stability. Clock was still going fine just couldnt move mouse etc and had to restart. I would really appreciate a link to the latest driver so i could try it. Also are the installation instructions the same as

HOW TO INSTALL:

- Place the kext file on your desktop

- Start "Terminal" and type the following commands:

- "sudo -s"

- Type you password.

- "cp -R ~/desktop/nForceEthernetController.kext /system/library/extensions/"

- "chmod -R 755 /system/library/extensions/nForceEthernetController.kext

- "chown -R root:wheel /system/library/extensions/nForceEthernetController.kext"

- "rm -f /system/library/extensions.*"

- "diskutil repairpermissions /"

- "exit"

- Close "Terminal"

- Shutdown the computer and take the power cord off (IMPORTANT!)

- Wait 30 secs. and turn it back on (plug the power cord back in first tongue.gif )

Im new to mac :P also not sure how to use kextunload but i read about that earlier in the topic :)

Hello. I have Asus M2N motherboard and Leo 10.5.2 Zephyroth rev.2 installed. After several drivers i tried and none of them worked i finally had success with mcp61 zip posted by AndrewNeo. Internet works only with cpus=1 flag. After that i installed new Planetbeing's driver. So far everything is working fine, no freezing, except sound which is unable to initialize. I use AppleAzalia for Soundmax ADI 1988 which worked fine until i installed this driver. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with this problem.

Just as a follow up to my previous post about using AndrewNeo's version-- I ended up having a lot of stability issues with it consisting of random GSOD during any type of download over about 100kbps.

I gave up and installed an old 3com (TX-905b I believe) for the time being.

:(

are these drviers better than the forcedeth-v one? i can surf the internet, but some times my internet just freezes my distribution. has anyone experienced same problems? how can i fix this????

where can i find the complied forcedeth?

regards

Hello everyone, this is my first post. Thanks to this great forum and everyone who contributes I now have Zephyroth 10.5.2 version working fully with sound and network. I feel now that I should help someone out. This is for Solidus23, I have the exact same mobo you have and I got my internet working by downloading AndrewNeo's modified version of the forcedeth driver for mcp61, just go to page 29 of this thread and its at the top of the page, or try this link to download http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=26207 it's called updated_leopard_plus_mcp61_r1.zip

To install it, just follow the directions from page 1 of this thread. What worked for me in particular was the forcedeth-nockd.kext The others did nothing and nothing worked. As soon as you install it you will get a pop up saying network controller has been detected. And that's all there is to it!! Oh, one more thing, I get the internet freezing that alot of people have been getting when downloading large files or for me, watching youtube vids. Everything freezes and it asks me to restart computer. If you get that then add the cpus=1 boot flag and everything will be fine, although you will only be running on one core, but that beats not having internet, right? Hopefully with a bit more tinkering or possibly a different driver that will go away. If you have any questions hit me back up on here. Good Luck!

Edit: Something I just discovered, it's kind of odd... I've been having to boot with the cpus=1 flag to keep it from freezing on me and having me reboot when I download files or watch online vids. I booted up without cpus=1 and opened the activity monitor to see what's going on with my network and when I do that I can download large files, watch vids, etc.. without it freezing on me, but if I try it without the activity monitor open it will freeze on me and have me restart. Could just be a coincidence but I don't care, as long as I can use both cores and have internet, that's ok with me! Maybe someone else can try it and see if it has the same effect on their computer, if it does, please report back here. I would like to know if it's just an isolated case and I just got plain lucky.

emartinez13 your way worked for me too..i didnt get any freeze at least for a single file downloads...i use AMD x2 3800+ both cores working..i just wish to see a release out there without having to open activity monitor or set boot with the cpus=1 flag

Anyway thanks the insanelymac people and all the developers ...keep up the good work

me too, my hacintosh setup is so perfect everything else worked straight out of the box

- brightness control

- audio control

- web cam

- booting is less than 30 secs

- synaptic touchpad with scrolling and two finger scrolling!

most things other people have problem with are all working

except this lan ethernet, i did install forcedeth and still nothing happens

Hi, first of all, thank you for all the good work.

Second, I have a 790 Ultra SLI chipset mobo with two nForce gigabit ethernet controllers. The first one shows up in the network panel but I get no packets thus nothing works. On driver loading I get the "Your nVidia device ... is not known to work". I get it, it's not supported; is there anything I can do?

guy si did get the ethernet interface back , while i plugged it into router, the light on the router was blinking, network utility indicates packet being transfer and recieved, but still hackingtosh is still telling "" you are not connected to any network".

here is the log, system.txt

i hope someone can help out.

ok i seem to have tried every kext going. My motherboard is M2N-VM DH Ven 10de Dev 03ef I found 1 kext that identified the Ethernet after i added dev id etc but it got the mac address backwards so no network function. Of the latest drivers in this forum i get no display it wont complete boot I have checked if they include my dev id etc and they do any help would really be appreciated.

03ef here too..my specs are below..i tested almost all the kexts i found in this threat,,

1. reverse mac.my network works though until i reboot

2. correct mac but kernel panic when downloading

I am going to try again a clean install of Leopard cause i bought a new video card but i guess i will have to change my NIC too until a better driver is out...

EDIT: Used my RTL 8139 and it works perfect without any extra drivers :)

I'm one of the unlucky/poor ones who own a A8N-SLI... and not even the deluxe edition that gives you the Marvell-Yukon chip which would work for OS X. I didn't want to buy another LAN board, because I'm perversely repulsed by that sort of redundancy and inelegance.

After a few attempts at trying to manipulate the vendor and device ids to make the Apple drivers work, I decided to write my own from scratch. ;)

Well, more precisely, I decided to blatantly rip off of the GPL'ed forcedeth driver for Linux, which someone had mentioned earlier (but I had a really difficult time getting a copy of the source code on Google, I only managed to get several old versions so far). But I figured 2000 odd lines of code isn't too unreasonable and I could figure it out mostly, and also figure out enough of OS X's innards so I can port it.

Luckily, I was right, and it's partially thanks to the Apple team for providing a surprisingly friendly platform to code... device drivers on. I've never coded one in my life, and I've never coded for Macs, either, but I was able to get the hang of it pretty quickly. (However, I must say the documentation wasn't the best... I mean at least do a better job of hyperlinking it! And also I had quite a fun time trying to get the provided interrupt request handler to work right... it actually crashed my computer a lot more than the "unsafe" method I used earlier did)

The driver is pretty crappy, I have severe doubts about its stability, and indeed, I've had to restart my computer a lot during the development process, but having your code running at the kernel level doesn't give you a lot of room for error. :) But, hey it works (sort of... I think it might still want to murder USB if I try to unload the kext... "unsafe" method didn't have this problem). Also, I wasn't able to implement the latest and greatest features. Like scatter-gather, TOS and so forth. For those things, I'd probably have to actually talk to a real person to figure out what's going on instead of just looking at the code (which is pretty much not commented at all).

Anyway, I'm not how much interest is there (all the other nForce4 people seem to have other LAN cards or have the Deluxe or Platinum version and using the Marvell Yukon driver), and the driver so far is still pretty humiliatingly unstable (though I haven't tested it out extensively). If you want the source, it'll be all GPL'ed and such.

But I mostly wanted to brag about how I wrote a OS X driver. :) It doesn't seem like that happens a lot... Pretty good for a Apple newb, eh?

EDIT:

The driver attached should now be fairly stable, but as with all OS X drivers, there is no guarantee of support. Complete system freezes have been known to occur with older versions and may reoccur, so avoid doing critical work on OS X. Source code is included for the sake of future generations. Here are my recommended instructions for getting it working on your computer:

1. Download the attached driver

2. Extract the contents onto the desktop

3. Open the Terminal application in the Applications/Utilities folder

4. Type "tail -f /var/log/system.log" to obtain debugging output for the first run.

5. Use the menu bar to open up a new Terminal window.

6. In this new window, type "cd ~/Desktop/forcedeth/build/Release"

7. sudo chown -R root:wheel forcedeth.kext

8. sudo chmod -R 755 forcedeth.kext

9. sudo kextload -v forcedeth.kext

10. Observe in the log window what happens. If there are no errors, and you eventually see the link going up with a proper speed, then the driver will work with your hardware. Otherwise, paste the log in this thread for help.

11. Test out the driver by browsing some websites, etc.

12. If there were any problems in steps 10 or 11, type "sudo kextunload forcedeth.kext", then repeat steps 7-11 for forcedeth-nockd.kext

13. To install the driver, type "sudo cp -R forcedeth.kext /System/Library/Extensions"

14. Lastly, update the extensions cache with "sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions"

EDIT: I needed to do some work on OS X again, so I installed Leopard. The original version of my driver seemed to not work/immediately kernel panic so I made a small change. I think it's probably the same change I made awhile ago when I was trying to fix it for stability. I also cleaned up the plists a bit. But if it didn't work for you at all before, it will probably not work for you now either. But if it worked for you before, this version should work better.

It was compiled under 10.5, so it might need a recompile for your version of the OS.

EDIT2: Replaced old version with a newer version that fixes a bug that caused kernel panics for me before. After some work figuring out how to get panic logs, I traced it to the occasional failure of replaceOrCopyPacket. I did a quick Google search to see why that could possibly happen -- only it lead me right back to this thread, where someone named chuttenh had already traced it to the very same problem. D'oh! I can't keep track of this huge thread. Anyway, I posted my version of the fix. There's some weirdness with refilling the ring with "available packets" after errors that I think may come up with earlier versions and chuttenh's version, but I am not sure. His version has a few other changes, I think, and is available from his post somewhere in here.

EDIT3 I merged MeDevil's changes for MCP61 and called it 0.3 (thanks, MeDevil!). I cannot test these changes myself, but according to MeDevil, it should take care of the waking up from sleep problem and backwards MAC address issue for MCP61. Note that the device ID is hardcoded in there, so if anyone has these issues and do not have MCP61, change where it checks specifically for 0x03EF, stick in your device ID, recompile and see if it works for you. If it does, tell me and we can add it. (EDIT3.1: Updated 0.3 to actually add MCP61 to the Info.plist, forgot to do that last time. Oops!)

EDIT3.2: Github repository up at http://github.com/planetbeing/forcedeth-osx/. Issue pull requests whenever. It also has a wiki if people would like to share their experiences with the driver there.

I´ve got a K9N6SGM-V, I'm more relunctant to prefer AMD over Intel... I just do, the thing is that while things have shown up while I fix'em up there is one last issue I can't get right and it is the forcedeth driver, I have tried the -nock debug and no debug of each file downloaded from here and there (had 0.2 working just fine on an MCP51 MOBO... can't remember model right now) on this MCP61 MOBO w/o success except for the one at iNoob's forum (the workaround file) and w/ the reversed mac address issue.

Don't now if it does but... would this make any incoming connection from the LAN to the computer (ssh, vnc, smb, afp, http, etc) to fail? because it can see other's services, and I can activate the mentioned ones... but no one on the LAN seems to have access to the services on this particular AMD system (forgot to mention that I had to download and unzip oah's folder and then I placed it in /usr/libexec... this fixed vmware, rossetta, etc... but I haven't tried the servers just yet...)

So, do you advise me to download the tar and compile? would the newer version have MCP61 (0x03EF10DE) and also the straight address? Would this fix the services not responding (but ping does, strange)?

Not sure about you guys but the attached .kext file has always worked for me on every boot. Just put it in kext helper and it will work right away without any restarts.

Now sometimes it will give you a weird and improper IP address, which is an easy fix. Just boot up with -s, delete the .kext file, boot into Leopard, then install it again and it should work

hello... i have a m2n-sli MB with Amd X2 5200+ proc... but my network connection dont work... i tested forcedeth kext but dont work... if you have any solutions you will say these to me...