102 posts in this topic

Here are my Procedure 4 Test results:

bootflags: -v busratio=0

http://i35.tinypic.com/fmt8qt.jpg

bootflags: -v busratio=8.5

http://i37.tinypic.com/2akldau.jpg

bootflags: -v busratio=471

http://i34.tinypic.com/2m3r5uq.png

The results seems to be the same. I was abit confused with the second part of the test which says "-v busratio=XY, replacing XY with your CPU clock multiplier". My CPU multiplier is 8.5 and FSB is 471, I tried both.

Hi, thanks a lot for the info. You mind filing a bug report on google code (link is in the included PDF), so we can track this better?

Meanwhile, some pointers: your CPU has 64bit but somehow the kernel isn't detecting that. I'll try to fix this.

Bus ratio: I've mentioned in the docs that if your bus ratio is non-integer (8.5) then you should remove the dot. So use busratio=85 ... yes I have to figure out a better way.

Two things -

1) AMD users - can you try running VMWare or Skype on this kernel and report if it works fine?

2) Thanks for all the success reports, but please for all bug reports, post on Google Code. I cannot keep track of bugs here in this thread... it's the least anyone should do as a beta tester! :unsure:

One thing I should have added.

Watching the same movie on both Quicktime and VLC, though the movie was running slightly fast on QT, it was running almost as in fast forward with vlc player as was sound.

Thanks for testing. That's definitely a bug. Please follow procedure 2 and 3 and file a report on the googlecode page and we'll look into it.

I can't remember, but I think I had to press the play button to get the audio running again.

I think that's standard iTunes behaviour when suspending. BTW does your cache info show up correctly now?

Two things -

1) AMD users - can you try running VMWare or Skype on this kernel and report if it works fine?

2) Thanks for all the success reports, but please for all bug reports, post on Google Code. I cannot keep track of bugs here in this thread... it's the least anyone should do as a beta tester! ;)

Thanks for testing. That's definitely a bug. Please follow procedure 2 and 3 and file a report on the googlecode page and we'll look into it.

I think that's standard iTunes behaviour when suspending. BTW does your cache info show up correctly now?

@mercurysquad;

About the cache - I think the answer is no. this is the data from SystemProfiler

Model Name:	Mac
 Model Identifier:	8183XXD
 Processor Speed:	3 GHz
 Number Of Processors:	1
 Total Number Of Cores:	1
 L2 Cache:	256 KB
 Memory:	2 GB
 Bus Speed:	400 MHz
 Boot ROM Version:	BOOT.EFI.V80
 Serial Number:	CK157KMHK5B

I don't have Winxx on this system, but on another with the same CPU I ran CPU-Z and it says - Processor 1, Core 1, Threads 2 - L1 Data 16KBytes, L1 Traces 12K, Level 2 1024KBytes.

I am using the vanilla 10.5.5 System.kext but I need a patched/older AppleSMBIOS.kext or the profiler reports an error for the hardware data. I tried the SMBIOEefi kext and it gave the same profiler error.

Does this still have on the on the fly amd patcher on the kernel ??

Yes but it causes problems, is not perfect yet, and is going to be released only in stages as we continue perfecting it. So far the testing has been done on sse3->sse2 patching and that is stable now, but AMD cpuid patchig is NOT. This is why it's undocumented and disabled, and we are not asking for any bug reports or testing to be done, as we have enough internal testing already.

AMD users please be patient - we're as excited about it as you but we don't want to release a half-baked kernel and disappoint everyone ;)

@mercurysquad;

About the cache - I think the answer is no.

:( the p4 is probably intel's worst processor. Pumping out 3000 MHz clock freq on a !@%@#)! 100 mhz bus.. Anyway I'm not spending any more time on cache code for this release as it's almost purely cosmetic from a usability point of view.

AMD users: thanks for the vmware report, can someone also test Skype?

It's actually quite stable on my HP Pavilion. Definitely quicker than the 9.2.2 kernel from modbin I was using.

My Specs:

Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz w/ Hyperthreading.

1GB DDR2 RAM

iDeneb Version 1.3 - Mac OS X 10.5.5

GMA 900 - CI + QE

SATA Hard Drive / IDE DVD-Rom

Voodoo 9.5.0 Beta 1 kernel, duh..

Test 1 Sleep/Resume Passed: [X] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

Functioned as if it were a real mac.

Test 2 Shutdown Passed: [X] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

No problems here.

Test 3 Audio/Video performance Passed: [X] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

Used iTunes, VLC, Quicktime and others, no problem with audio or video.

Test 4 eXecute Disable bit Passed: [X] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

This test worked as it was described.

accurately reflect XD support in your CPU? [X] Yes [_] No

Information correctly given.

Test 5 TSC stability Passed: [X] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

Additional Notes - This is probably the best kernel I have used on a Hackintosh. It just works, ehich is what I think we need to see more of around here. Everything seems snappier, more responsive, and faster. I'm looking forward to testing future versions.

Report success by posting a reply on the forum thread. Success!

Phenom 9550, nForce 4, ATI HD3650

uname -v

Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Fri Oct 3 05:12:13 IST 2008; Voodoo; Beta 1 :xnu-1228.7.58/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

Yes the beta is installed.

Test 1 Sleep/Resume Passed: [_] Yes [_] No [x] With issues

The display doesn't resume using when my ATI HD3650, never has with any XNU. Resumes just fine when I use my older nVidia 7600GT. Issue probably nothing to due with the XNU?

Test 2 Shutdown Passed: [x] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

Both Shutdown... and Restart... work as expected.

Test 3 Audio/Video performance Passed: [x] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

Audio and Video performance are spot on.

Test 4 eXecute Disable bit Passed: [x] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

kern.nx: 1 by default. Yes I can enable and disable NX without issue.

Test 5 TSC stability Passed: [x] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

Yes, in sync. 100 sec difference in both start finish times.

Test 6 Phenom TSC sync Passed: [x] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

6 hours uptime, all okay.

Test 7 Cache information Passed: [_] Yes [_] No [x] With issues

L1 data and instruction cache reported correctly.

L2 unified cache incorrect in sys prefs, reports 8 MB should be 512KB per core or 2MB total.

L3 unified cache reported correctly.

You had this correct in the alpha 13 XNU !

Additional info, my nForce ATA driver is stable. I don't use the nForce LAN driver as it rarely detects the cable connection. The issue with the LAN driver is probably nothing to do with the XNU. Using a OSX compatible PCI LAN card.

Vmware (latest version) is working fine. Performed a complete new install of XP from retail CD and installed all updates. I then ran Half-Life on it for a while, no issues. I don't use Skype, sorry.

All in all rock solid. Only issue is incorrect L2 cache info and thats purely cosmetic. Sleep/resume on my HD3650 isn't XNU related I don't think, It works with my 6200 and 7600 nVidia cards. It also works on my GMA950 on my intel system.

:wacko:

ritalin_ritalin_s_kz695aa_abu_a6557uk.local.zip

Skype crashes on my machine !! :wacko:

Test 4 eXecute Disable bit Passed: [X] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

Test 5 TSC stability Passed: [X] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

lorgus_m_arxs_macpro31.zip

Will be glad to. It's looking like late Tuesday night, UK time, or Wednesday. Did full reinstsall with Kalway 10.5.2 and Mysticus C* 1.1.4 update to 10.5.5 and this time using voodoo 9.4.0 beta, gave the same results as with voodoo 9.5.0 beta - VLC player (version 0.8.6f) running movies in almost fast forward with speeeded up audio and clock ticking away too fast. Working fine with old 9.2.0 speedstep kernel. Thanks for your patience. :D

Voodoo 9.5 Kernel BETA 1

Please read the Test plan and debug procedure PDFs before proceeding with the beta test. Please understand that this is a beta test - it may break your system, and novices should not attempt to test the kernel!

Please report success on this thread. Please report failures on GoogleCode's Issues section.

Always attach log collected from debug Procedure 2, even for success reports! - this helps us mark off your setup as "working" on our internal testing chart.

The release marks the beginning of a unification of all kernels and setups, including sleep+speedstep, sse3+sse2 and intel+amd among other things.

Errata:

Page 1 of Test Plan PDF, 2nd last line: should say debug procedure 1 (kernel panic), not 0.

Page 2 of Test Plan PDF, tests 1 and 2 should refer to debug procedure 2, not 1.

These were last minute changes, sorry about that.

~VoodooLabs

All works great

Gigabyte ga-g33m-ds2r ( ihc9-r )

Intel e6750

4gb ram xms2 pc6400

Nvidia 7600gt silent

Iatkos v4 (sata ahci, wifi, nvidia)

Used Darwin efi

9.4.0 system (still no 9.5.0 system. kernel panic, needs some ahci patching ihc9r)

9.5.0 Voodoo Kernel

Chun han Smbiosefi

Sleep/shutdown/restart/sound/video/network

Thanks

I now (not tested before) get kernel panic at shutdown - but only if i had used before an sleep.

I can see no error messages - only the known "curtain of panic" and the multilanguage info blabla..

Sleep and wakes up from sleep works without any problems - until i will shutdown.

I know that sometimes (even using vanilla) and nothing external connected the shutdown takes much longer or hangs.

I can see (started with -v) that often vmwares virtual network devices are make this - OS X waits for something finishing of vmware virt network.

I just updated the issue #18 bug report. The additional testing I did would indicate that the beta-1 kernel will only accept a kext cache that is built under the bets-1 kernel. At least that is the conclusion I reached from my testing.

I just updated the issue #18 bug report. The additional testing I did would indicate that the beta-1 kernel will only accept a kext cache that is built under the bets-1 kernel. At least that is the conclusion I reached from my testing.

Bingo - that may the answer why my first boot after installing beta1 (after A13) failded (stalls) and second boot worked ?!

Hi! I tested the kernel and the result is this:

Test 1: the PC wakes up from sleep but the screen remains black

Test 2: Passed

Test 3: Passed

Test 4: Passed

Test 5: I get a difference of 2 seconds, so I'm not sure.

Test 6: Not appliable

Test 7: Not sure about my caches informations

64 bit applications work perfectly ;)

My configuration is in my signature.

Great work :)!!!!!

it's actually quite stable on my MSI 425

My Specs:

Pentium 4 Centrino 1.86 GHz

2.5GB RAM

iDeneb Version 1.3 - Mac OS X 10.5.5

NVIDIA 6200GO/32MB VRAM

PATA Hard Drive / IDE DVD-Rom

Voodoo 9.5.0 Beta 1 kernel

Functioned as if it were a real mac.

No problems here.

Used iTunes, VLC, Quicktime and others, no problem with video.

DVDPlayer had problem playng DVD.

Audio: I had to remove AppleHda & HDAEnabler (worked width 9.4 kernel) and put Azal

iCal works perfectly and even garageband and other ilife '08 now work.

With previous kernels i couldn't run magic garageband isssue and all the ilife programs crashed now and then

Thank you for the great job you're doing.

Asus P5GPL-X SE

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 D 3.2GHz

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sleep/Resume Passed: [_] Yes [X] No [_] With issues

Shutdown Passed: [X] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

Audio/Video performance Passed: [_] Yes [_] No [X] With issues (There are some strange noises using VLC + mp3, in QT and iTunes it sounds well)

eXecute Disable bit Passed: [X] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

TSC stability Passed: [X] Yes [_] No [_] With issues

Voodoo XNU Kernel - Test 5 TSC stability

Start time local:

Thu Oct 9 15:29:54 UTC 2008

Start time NIST:

Connection closed by foreign host.

54748 08-10-09 15:29:55 25 0 0 511.0 UTC(NIST) *

Sleeping for 100 seconds

End time local:

Thu Oct 9 15:31:34 UTC 2008

End time NIST:

Connection closed by foreign host.

54748 08-10-09 15:31:36 25 0 0 947.9 UTC(NIST) *

Cache information Passed: [X Yes [_] No [_] With issues

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Synapse_Synapses_Mac_Pro.local.zip