[Solution] ICH10 [IDE Mode] SATA Kext

andrejkw

34 posts in this topic

Here's a modified AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext with support for all Intel ICHx controllers including the new ICH10. This means you no longer have to have the AHCI mode enabled in BIOS. Personally, I dislike the AHCI mode because of it's slow HDD detection (especially on the GA-EP45-DS3L board). To install this kext, place it inside the "PlugIns" folder in the IOATAFamily.kext. If you already have a AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext in your "PlugIns" folder, remove it.

NOTE: Make sure to repair permissions and delete your Extensions.mkext file!

sudo -s

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

mv ~/Desktop/AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

Enjoy :D

AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext.zip

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently using a motherboard with ICH5, and in preparation for the arrival of my new motherboard which has ICH10R, I've now installed your plugin.

It's working fine on ICH5 so far, and it's also noticeably faster than whatever I was using before.

ICH5 is set to AHCI mode in the BIOS.

It works fine. No problems at the moment.

My specs... I don't know how to change my signature.

Hackintosh:

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz,

3Gb Ram

2 HDD SATA 80 Gb

Video GeForce 8500GT

Sound and Lan working

OSX 10.5.5

Edit:

Signature updated.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this non ahci driver ok concerning perfomances ?

I plan to use direct-to-disk hd intensive applications, would you recommend this one ?

TIA for experimented advice :unsure:

And many thanks for sharing these cool kext alternatives (and alc888 too) ;-)

AHCI really provide some useful features, without it, the hardisk just backs to a decade ago.

why would you bother about the slow detection of hardisk when u don't reboot often, and a

"unknown" wording in system profiler for the sacrifice of real performance of hardisk?

I found a way to configure WinXP with AHCI with intel tools, I know it works but it is a bit long to setup,

and I need to install winxp again, but indeed I won't reinstall it everyday :D

Also, I wonder if AHCI is ok in linux distribs (because I also plan to install ubuntu for development purpose).

That's why I could be even more interested by this patch, but I guess AHCI should be ok in recent linux kernels ?

Thanks.

Is there anyway to invoke this Kext during initial installation? I have an HP laptop (AMD) that does not expose SATA mode options in the BIOS. Thoughts?

FWIW, I think it is:

In Kalyway 10.5.2 distrib, I know that there is a shell script permitting to modify the image dvd file.

The hack here would be to add the kext files mentionned earlier in this post, in this customized image.

For doing that, you need to put the new kext files in a directory of the kalyway distrib and read their instructions for using the script.

Then when asked about booting option, choose the verbose + bootsafe mode (-v and -x respectively)

Once you boot in safe mode, you can finish the setup manually.

BTW, you could probably also adapt the script and make it work for other distribs like iDeneb 10,5,5.

Good luck ;-)

Here's a modified AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext with support for all Intel ICHx controllers including the new ICH10. This means you no longer have to have the AHCI mode enabled in BIOS. .../...

Not only it works great on my ga-ep45-ds3l, but I ran xbench and there is no performances penalty I could detect !

Works at least as fast as before, though I was expecting a small performance penalty from what I read on new AHCI mode.

Great stuff thanks, should be in the next distribs :)

Lots of thank you !!

I get rid of ACHI in bios (about 12-15 seconds more boot time) and i had NO disk speed penalty at all (accordind to XBench ).

My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R , Q9550 , 16GBytes of DDR 2 RAM , OCZ 60GB (Core2) SSD drive and a crappy NVidia 7300 256MB (its ok for me)

Sleep still works fast as hell .

Total boot time : 20-22 seconds

Boot time from Darwin's enter hit, to desktop icons appearance 12 seconds !!!

Thank you again ,

Dimitris

Greece

after unpacking the Extensions.mkext on the "iDeneb v1.1 10.5.4" i don't see a "/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/" folder in "IOATAFamily.kext"

i do however have a "AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext" in "/System/Library/Extensions/" but even that does not have a PlugIns folder.

what does one do in this case ?

AHCI really provide some useful features, without it, the hardisk just backs to a decade ago.

why would you bother about the slow detection of hardisk when u don't reboot often, and a

"unknown" wording in system profiler for the sacrifice of real performance of hardisk?

I was wondering this very thing.... I spent a fair amount of time trying to (and successfully) make the Mac Pro boot in AHCI under Windows... why anyone would want to go non-AHCI is strange in my mind...

after unpacking the Extensions.mkext on the "iDeneb v1.1 10.5.4" i don't see a "/System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/" folder in "IOATAFamily.kext"

i do however have a "AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext" in "/System/Library/Extensions/" but even that does not have a PlugIns folder.

what does one do in this case ?

anyone willing to answer this ?

• 2 weeks later...

works perfectly on my Asus P5Q Deluxe/ICH10R, thanks a lot !!

I was wondering this very thing.... I spent a fair amount of time trying to (and successfully) make the Mac Pro boot in AHCI under Windows... why anyone would want to go non-AHCI is strange in my mind...

I'm on an Asus P5Q deluxe/ICH10R and I use an Intel X-25M SSD to boot from. When I had my system configured as AHCI, it took about 40 seconds to boot OSX 10.5.5, mainly because of the AHCI detection. Now, with this patch, configured as IDE it takes 10 seconds to boot.

I tested in XP with HDtune pro to see if i had any performance decrease, but I still get the 230 MB/sec sustained read, so everything seems exactly like it was, except my boot time has improved 300% :) BTW, I just tested it in Xbench and are getting the exact same results as under AHCI, so I don't think there's any performance hit at all, just faster booting !

works perfectly on my Asus P5Q Deluxe/ICH10R, thanks a lot !!

I'm on an Asus P5Q deluxe/ICH10R and I use an Intel X-25M SSD to boot from. When I had my system configured as AHCI, it took about 40 seconds to boot OSX 10.5.5, mainly because of the AHCI detection. Now, with this patch, configured as IDE it takes 10 seconds to boot.

I tested in XP with HDtune pro to see if i had any performance decrease, but I still get the 230 MB/sec sustained read, so everything seems exactly like it was, except my boot time has improved 300% :) BTW, I just tested it in Xbench and are getting the exact same results as under AHCI, so I don't think there's any performance hit at all, just faster booting !

The solution in this thread for IDE mode is really for people whose motherboard BIOS does not allow AHCI mode.

Do you realise you have disabled a major performance feature of X-25M called NCQ by putting it in legacy IDE mode?

AHCI delays your boot timing and is a necessary feature called "Ripple startup". This is where it starts the Harddisks one by one so that the Power supply can last longer. All harddisks powering up simulataneously put a larger inrush load on the Power supply unit and reduces its lifetime.

So If your motherboard suppports AHCI You should use AHCI as it is more sensible to have the following features

1. Hot swap harddisk

2. Native Command Queueing

3. Ripple Powerup.

You wouldnt see a performance improvement in XBench but NCQ is useful when you are doing lot of disk activity such as Video Encoding. So dont claim AHCI is slow just beacuse your boot time is faster, it is really good for your hardware and performance in the long run.

[shameless self promotion] And for those who complain, that using AHCI mode, cause "Unknown Controller" in System Profiler or Orange Disk icons in Finder, have a look at this thread. [/shameless self promotion]  ;)

Alright.. I can't use AHCI, so I need this.

I'm on Windows XP btw..

Can someone help me install this?

me is stupid :P

No Andrew, this wont work for you, this is only for Intel chipset based motherboard. You havent mentioned your motherboard in your earlier posts, but you have said AMD Turion CPU meaning it is not Intel Chipset

No Andrew, this wont work for you, this is only for Intel chipset based motherboard. You havent mentioned your motherboard in your earlier posts, but you have said AMD Turion CPU meaning it is not Intel Chipset

Oh. Damn

Do you possibly know what would work for me, as I can't use AHCI?

So If your motherboard suppports AHCI You should use AHCI as it is more sensible to have the following features

1. Hot swap harddisk

2. Native Command Queueing

3. Ripple Powerup.

I'm not going to hotswap harddisks and I always use good quality powersupplies, never had a failure, so I don't really care about point 1 and 3. NCQ might indeed give a performance increase. I haven't noticed any difference yet, I think I'll run some tests soon to see if I can find different performance while reading/writing random small blocks.

Anyway, my point was, the main reason I have this SSD is that I wanted to decrease my boot time. It's 40 seconds with AHCI, 10 seconds with IDE, I haven't perceived any performance decrease yet, so switching back to AHCI really makes no sense to me. But I'll run some tests like I said, to see if NCQ really matters that much like you say it does.