[BOOT-132] Legacy AppleHDA

stickpin

232 posts in this topic

New version is comming will fix codec verb problem... And sys profiler... No more fake values... ;)

i'm having a problem its not working for me i'm doing every thing you said but no luck i'm putting all my kexts into my custom extension folder on desktop adding root to legacyhdacontroller.kext and legacyhdaplatformdriver.kext in info.plist then creating a mkext from the folder and placing it into my usb boot 132 in initrd/extra then setting permissions and removing extensions folder on usb i'm using original applehda.kext in s/l/e when i restart everything loads excepted audio but it is listed in system profiler what im i doing wrong? heres a pic of every kext that i used to make the mkext

my audio is Realtek ALC882 my motherboard is p5w dh deluxe.

please help many thanks

post-203626-1223607747_thumb.png

@chopperreid, first, remove ALCInject, then create mkext again, try to boot with -f...

If still not work for you, post your codec dump.

hi ya thanks for the reply i removed alcinject.kext and still no audio even when booting with -f. i'm afraid i don't now how to create a codac dump please could you show me many thanks

I feel the BrAin CelLs BuStInG AwAy! :blink:

I've Downloaded kexts for my Sound card, Was using a taruga patch for my ga-p35ds3L (ALC888 linux dump), it was the only mod to my stickpin usb loader based system. I must of went thru steps 1-8 a gazillion times.

Then installed a fresh system on another partition... still nothing... yet i find it so intriguing how one can damn nearly pull ones hair out from this :wacko:

I'd be so grateful if one can work their magic

_P35_DS3L_codec_dump.txt

I feel the BrAin CelLs BuStInG AwAy! :blink:

I've Downloaded kexts for my Sound card, Was using a taruga patch for my ga-p35ds3L (ALC888 linux dump), it was the only mod to my stickpin usb loader based system. I must of went thru steps 1-8 a gazillion times.

Then installed a fresh system on another partition... still nothing... yet i find it so intriguing how one can damn nearly pull ones hair out from this :wacko:

I'd be so grateful if one can work their magic

_P35_DS3L_codec_dump.txt

how did you make your codac dump i dont no how to please help

@chopperreid, first, remove ALCInject, then create mkext again, try to boot with -f...

If still not work for you, post your codec dump.

stickpin i managed to get a codec dump of my card thanks to Chibchan thank you for that.

i will attached it to this post please could you get back to me sticpin if you have an answer many thanks

codec_dump.txt

Since it looks like most of the current AppleHDA braintrust is represented in this thread. Perhaps one of you might want to get a prize for creating a working solution for the ALC269 on the Asus EEE PC 1000? http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=130616

It would be really super cool if the resulting codec also worked with this method :rolleyes:

Seriously, my brain hurts from going over all this sound stuff again and again.

Toonces

@Toonces, exacly as you said... AppleHDA its PITA, im already fixed most of the problems, for some reason cant get more then 2 line outs working... As i see apple doesnt support analog 5.1 or 7.1 config, the proper way... So we just need to find some work around for it.

When all this trobles, with ALC889A will be fixed, ill try to move to other codecs.

Followed cyclonefr's instructions but I modified sonotone's kexts and got it working for Sigmatel 9205 but mine is a gateway laptop and when I tried sonotone's dell laptops installer for the 9205 it didn't work I had to find a gateway one else where but anyway I will attach my kexts.

edit: sorry about that the permissions were off when I zipped them here they are again though

Sigmatel_9205.zip

Followed cyclonefr's instructions but I modified sonotone's kexts and got it working for Sigmatel 9205 but mine is a gateway laptop and when I tried sonotone's dell laptops installer for the 9205 it didn't work I had to find a gateway one else where but anyway I will attach my kexts.

Can you repost your kexts as it seems that they are empty.

Thanks.

Also reporting problems with 889a on Gigabyte P35-DS3. The Mic in actually works, but the input volume seems to be very low it hardly records my voice (and I'm screaming :P.).

The line out works, but it makes some strange noises, specially if you do not reproduce any sounds for a while...

Hello,

Excellent work stickpin. Could you or someone provide a tutorial on how and why these Legacy "shell" plists work and more about how to create one? For example, my EP35-DS3L needs a modified ACPIPlatform kext. Is it possible to use a Legacy plist shell to make that happen and still be loading the newest version of the main kext? Or is my reboot fix part of the binary of the kext? It would be great to only have Legacy shell kexts in E/E for any and all stock kexts that need modified, so as to always have the most up-to-date version running also.

I am, compared to many of you, a newb at OSX86, but I have used Macs since System 6 and know my way around OS X very well.

I have setup the EFI partition and now that I got this Legacy HDA (ALC888_Add0) my sound and everything works great. Unbelievable the progress this project has made since Kalyway 10.4.8. Still I have an interest in tomorrow's notebooks and Stevenote.

Thank you for your efforts.

Is there any way to get this working from a chameleon boot /Extra/Extensions folder without having to build an extension cache? With all the progress being made, I find myself replacing and updating kexts almost daily and it'd be better if I didn't have to keep unpacking and repacking the cache file.

I've added OSBundledRequired Root to the three plists but although I get my onboard 883 showing up in System Profiler, in the Sound prefpane there's no input/output devices available.

For example, my EP35-DS3L needs a modified ACPIPlatform kext. Is it possible to use a Legacy plist shell to make that happen and still be loading the newest version of the main kext? Or is my reboot fix part of the binary of the kext? It would be great to only have Legacy shell kexts in E/E for any and all stock kexts that need modified, so as to always have the most up-to-date version running also.

The plist-only files will only work if there is no binary modification needed. In the AppleACPIPlatform.kext case the binary is patched to allow the reboot fix. However, if you want to keep it vanilla, you can get OpenHaltRestart.kext from PsyStar. This incorporates the shutdown/reboot fixes into a kext which you can run fine from /E/E. Superhai's new GenericCPUPowerManagement.kext also has these fixes, so if you use either you can get rid of your patched AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

Tested ALC888 add0 on a GA P35-DS3L and it works except for a pop on sound when i hit the volume after idle.

By default, "internal speakers" play's thru the "line out" port.

"Line out" play's thru the "Rear" port

Oddly,the popping go's away when the speakers are plugged into the "rear" port and select line output.

digital in and out work. Can't confirm line in or mic.

ALC888 Add2 gives dual line outs and the popping.

;) is what i feel like having just read what i wrote :D

Hope this helps

post-195406-1224000914_thumb.png

Is there any way to get this working from a chameleon boot /Extra/Extensions folder without having to build an extension cache? With all the progress being made, I find myself replacing and updating kexts almost daily and it'd be better if I didn't have to keep unpacking and repacking the cache file.

I've added OSBundledRequired Root to the three plists but although I get my onboard 883 showing up in System Profiler, in the Sound prefpane there's no input/output devices available.

The plist-only files will only work if there is no binary modification needed. In the AppleACPIPlatform.kext case the binary is patched to allow the reboot fix. However, if you want to keep it vanilla, you can get OpenHaltRestart.kext from PsyStar. This incorporates the shutdown/reboot fixes into a kext which you can run fine from /E/E. Superhai's new GenericCPUPowerManagement.kext also has these fixes, so if you use either you can get rid of your patched AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

With munky's zip download for his instrutions on a EFI partition install, there is a script, update.sh, that does the updating of the kext cache quilck and easy.

Not sure what to do with the 883, are there multiple files for different addresses like the 888?

Thanks for the tip on those 2 kexts.

I looked through the plists on some of the other (cyclonefr) Legacy kexts and found my device IDs were in there and got my SATA, AHCI and ATA recognized properly.

I would like to get a proper SMBIOS.

With munky's zip download for his instrutions on a EFI partition install, there is a script, update.sh, that does the updating of the kext cache quilck and easy.

Thanks I'll take a look at that. In the meantime I hacked out the mkext building part of Galaxy's slimbuild to build the kext and set permissions etc.

Not sure what to do with the 883, are there multiple files for different addresses like the 888?

Yep, there's two different codec addresses for the ALC883. Mine was address 2. I found this out when I went to take a codec dump in a Ubuntu live session. It works fine from a kextcache. I guess it just won't from the extra extension folder. I could probably just install them to /S/L/E as they won't be overwriting or replacing any apple kexts but I want to try and keep any custom ones seperate from the main system.

I would like to get a proper SMBIOS.

For SMBIOS I'm now using superhai's SMBIOSResolver. You can edit the plist in it to set machine type, but this won't change what's displayed in System Profiler as (I think) this is now set by AppleACPIPlatform.kext. I got mine to display right by adding the model to the DMI in my bios. You can also set a UUID (which fixes the "failed to get UUID" error that can cause problems with Time Machine), serial number etc. The only thing I can't fix is the RAM type is displayed in System Profiler as "RAM" rather than "DDR2 SDRAM", but I'll forego that for the sake of having a vanilla SMBIOS. If you want that displayed properly then I think you'd need to use a custom AppleSMBIOS.kext.