Old Mac Os For Intel

scriptpoet

33 posts in this topic

You won't find the big amount of help in Rhapsody. OS X has changed so much over the last years. Rhapsody is between OpenStep 4.2 and OS X Server 1.0. The look is like OS 9 but with some differences here and there. It's basicly OpenStep with some GUI changes and updated Frameworks.

The system works on x86 ( yes AMD too ) hardware and really runs great but something or someone has crippled the system to use no more than 192 MB RAM, and of course are the drivers only suitable for some of the most common / populair hardware found around 96/97.

Feel free to ask any questions about the system. Chances are that I can reply to most of them.

-Daxziz

but then there was system 7 port to 486 pc's that daxziz and I both went ehh daxziz :unsure:

actually daxziz and i want to find the only hard disk with it and break in and steal it lol just kidding i don't codone that kind of behavior. System 7 for 486 will never see the light of day :P

there is an image floating around the net called rhapsody_dr2_x86.iso, but it seems corrupted,

It isn't corrupted. And you are not supposed to pirate it.

I can't mount it and can't use it in vmware or VPC

Simply think of it as some kind of anti-pirating protection for ignorant people.

Sorry for sounding so rude, but if you already fail at finding out how to get the Rhapsody installation started (with such wonderful research tools like Google at your hand!), you're better off staying away from it.

Why doesn't Apple release it, like they've done with the OS 7 releases?

One reason: Because it still contains Display Postscript (like all the old NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP releases, which aren't free, either), for which Apple has to pay huge licensing fees to Adobe (which was the reason for removing it from OS X and introducing Display PDF: Quartz!).

There was also project Star Trek which Novell and Apple tried to port Mac OS 7.5 over to the x86.  This was before the transition to PPC

ah yeah, damn I would really have liked to get my hands on Star Trek. To bad that it was not leaked (well, its like only apple employees had their hands on it, they wouldnt have leaked it) (btw, i think it was OS 7, not 7.5).

• 5 weeks later...
there is an image floating around the net called rhapsody_dr2_x86.iso, but it seems corrupted, can't mount it and can't use it in vmware or VPC

Umm you require 2 install floppies and the reason why you can't mount the CD is because the filesystem is unique.

Simply think of it as some kind of anti-pirating protection for ignorant people.

Sorry for sounding so rude, but if you already fail at finding out how to get the Rhapsody installation started (with such wonderful research tools like Google at your hand!), you're better off staying away from it.

Com'on terry - be nice :) Yet you do have a grain of truth in your answer. If you don't google around and sometime I mean for hours, you will never be able to get something good out of Rhapsody, unless you keep bugging one of the last few communities which are left regarding the NeXT world.

I believe it was OS7, and called Star Trek. However, I don't think any source or binaries were released, thus I dobut you will be able to run it, unless you somehow manage to acquire a CD from someone who worked at apple *shrug*

StarTrek is not to be found on any media except an old HD in a 486 computer found in one of the original developers home :D Thereby.. no... we'll never see it unless this guy gets insane and suddenly puts a ghost image or something up on the net... which is ummm highly unlikely.

Sorry for replying to an old post, but I just thought I wanted to chip in with whatever small knowledge I had ;)

-Daxziz

StarTrek is not to be found on any media except an old HD in a 486 computer found in one of the original developers home :) Thereby.. no... we'll never see it unless this guy gets insane and suddenly puts a ghost image or something up on the net... which is ummm highly unlikely.

Sorry for replying to an old post, but I just thought I wanted to chip in with whatever small knowledge I had :(

-Daxziz

as for Rhapsody, I can tell, not only it's hard to find the floppy images (but they are still well hidden somewhere on the web) and then it's quite hard to install it, i'm saying this cuz i'm stuck in the installation process, and no rhapsody install guide on google could help me (these guides assume that everything works fine and that you're not tryin to do it with VMware)

I think is not a warez topic, if so, please delete this post:

I have both Rhapsody DR1 and DR2 for Intel.

Just gimme a fast ftp so i can upload it.

bye

nicoska

P.S. i'm searching other interesting thing :)

managed to install them?? on VMware??

managed to install them?? on VMware??

I installed PPC versions (DR1 and DR2) into a old PowerMac 9600.

Then I installed DR1 and DR2 for x86 into an old AMD, and works !!

I'm going to testing it into VMware enviroment.

bye

nicoska

P.S. if someone put on-line a fast ftp server i can upload it