[TOTALLY VANILLA] Retail Leopard Install with EFI-strings support [Powered by Chameleon 2.0]

MACinized

344 posts in this topic

WHAT A GREAT DAY!

my Retail Mac OS X Leopard is FULLY VANILLA [uNTOUCHED]!

just until a while ago, i have to have the patched AppleHDA.kext in the /System/Library/Extensions. now, the patched AppleHDA.kext can be loaded from MacLoader!

:)

[EDITED POST#1]

from stickpin's guide, didn't find kext for my onboard audio. experimented building an mkext inclusive of my [extra] audio kexts (alcinject + patched applehda) and got them to load from "MacLoader". revised macloader.sh accordingly. ;)

wow, realy? I will try :P

EDIT: yes, work fine for Audio ;)

but now, Quartz/Extreme dont work(7900GS, via string),

and my Ethernet Marvell 88E8052 dont work too lol :(

wow, realy? I will try :P

EDIT: yes, work fine for Audio :P

but now, Quartz/Extreme dont work(7900GS, via string),

and my Ethernet Marvell 88E8052 dont work too lol :(

kindly post feedback.

script revision: instead of just copying Extensions.mkext from Macintosh's /System/Library, built one by copying Macintosh's /System/Library/Extensions then added [extra] audio kexts (injector + patched applehda).

---

do they use to work? for graphics/display, use EFIStudio to get efi-strings & add them to MacLoader's com.apple.Boot.plist.

for graphics/display, I use EFIStudio.

EDIT: I have solved GFX, just I use now NVdarwin and I have remove GXFString on com.apple.boot

My network dont work actualy

--------------------------------

It's very strange, If y use 1st methode (all kext in Macloader/extras/Extentions)

all work:

GFX (with nvkush, or nvinject, or EFIStudio)

Network

but no sound

If I use 2nd methode (rev1) with extentions.mkext

all work:

GFX (only with NVdarwin)

and audio.

but no network.. :)

someone can help me please?

kext used: nvdarwin 1.2.1 (NVidia 256Mo), AppleHDA (Taruga's AD1988b rev4), IONetworking (Marvell 88E8052)

Edited by Rph4

for graphics/display, I use EFIStudio.

EDIT: I have solved GFX, just I use now NVdarwin and I have remove GXFString on com.apple.boot

My network dont work actualy

--------------------------------

It's very strange, If y use 1st methode (all kext in Macloader/extras/Extentions)

all work:

GFX (with nvkush, or nvinject, or EFIStudio)

Network

but no sound

If I use 2nd methode (rev1) with extentions.mkext

all work:

GFX (only with NVdarwin)

and audio.

but no network.. :P

someone can help me please?

kext used: nvdarwin 1.2.1 (NVidia 256Mo), AppleHDA (Taruga's AD1988b rev4), IONetworking (Marvell 88E8052)

actually, there's not much difference in the approach for rev1. as i've mentioned, instead of just copying Macintosh's /S/L/Extensions.mkext, new one is built out of Macintosh's /S/L/Extensions inclusive of your [extra] kexts (initially intended for patched AppleHDA.kext only).

in the "1st Method" and "2nd Method" you mentioned, u used THE SAME INITRD.IMG for both, right?

Yes, same INITRD.IMG / kext.

I have solved this probleme, and use my 2nd integrated network adapters. it work fine with rev1.

Now I have sound+network+graphics :)

Perhaps the permission that prevents loading a kext? chmod 755 or chmod 644 .... etc

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Safe Boot</string> or <string>Network-Root</string> or <string>Root</string>… etc etc

or driver conflict?

Yes, same INITRD.IMG / kext.

I have solved this probleme, and use my 2nd integrated network adapters. it work fine with rev1.

Now I have sound+network+graphics :)

Perhaps the permission that prevents loading a kext? chmod 755 or chmod 644 .... etc

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Safe Boot</string> or <string>Network-Root</string> or <string>Root</string>… etc etc

or driver conflict?

u can double-check the info.plist of your [network].kext and make sure that OSBundleRequired is Root.

OK, I did it! Here is the current scenario in my HP DV6663cl notebook:

Single HDD - GPT disk - 4 Partitions:

1. Vista x64 (NTFS)

2. Data (NTFS)

3. MacLoader (Mac)

4. Macintosh (Mac)

For dual-booting I've flagged the 1st partition (disk0s2) and used EasyBCD in Vista in order to get both, Vista and Mac, in the boot list. If I select Vista, it starts normally... if I select Mac OS X it boots the MacLoader partition and loads Mac Vanilla!!!

Now I'm searching for the correct EFI strings for nVidia 8400m GS and ACL268 sound!

M.

Well, I finally got it to work. After lots of testing and editing I got it to boot from "MacLoader". However, I've ran into a problem with this EFI string. I updated my com.apple.boot.plist on macloader with the hex that OSX86TOOL told me was right for my graphics card. I then rebooted only to find the boot display to scroll a lot of text by and then tell me somethings like "Failed to load extension: com.apple.Geforce" and "Couldn't alloc class: NVDAHAL40" and some other things. Sadly it flys by so fast I can't keep up. Any idea how to get past this? Without it I'm confined to 1024x768 without QE/CI.

I'm using a GeForce 6600 GT 128MB PCIe

Thanks!

Well, I finally got it to work. After lots of testing and editing I got it to boot from "MacLoader". However, I've ran into a problem with this EFI string. I updated my com.apple.boot.plist on macloader with the hex that OSX86TOOL told me was right for my graphics card. I then rebooted only to find the boot display to scroll a lot of text by and then tell me somethings like "Failed to load extension: com.apple.Geforce" and "Couldn't alloc class: NVDAHAL40" and some other things. Sadly it flys by so fast I can't keep up. Any idea how to get past this? Without it I'm confined to 1024x768 without QE/CI.

I'm using a GeForce 6600 GT 128MB PCIe

Thanks!

instead of using OSx86Tool, trying using EFIStudio to generate efi-string for your gf6600.

updated post#1.

revised script. no longer needs the /System/Library in MacLoader. combined extra kexts w/ Macintosh's /S/L/Extensions and built an mkext. extra audio kexts still supported to load at boot. totally untouched retail leopard install! :P

Picture%202.png

instead of using OSx86Tool, trying using EFIStudio to generate efi-string for your gf6600.

I tried EFIStudio, it kept giving me the wrong HEX for my card. I instead used GFXutil to get one myself put it in the com.apple.boot.plist on MacLoader and it finally booted (after reinstalling Os X and MacLoader several times). However, now that I'm back in Os X with a higher resolution I still lack Quartz Extreme any clues as to what could be causing this? Also, system profiler is saying I've got 256mb of ram on this card wen I really have 128... if only it doubled. Ha ha.

Thanks again!

I tried EFIStudio, it kept giving me the wrong HEX for my card. I instead used GFXutil to get one myself put it in the com.apple.boot.plist on MacLoader and it finally booted (after reinstalling Os X and MacLoader several times). However, now that I'm back in Os X with a higher resolution I still lack Quartz Extreme any clues as to what could be causing this? Also, system profiler is saying I've got 256mb of ram on this card wen I really have 128... if only it doubled. Ha ha.

Thanks again!

i too is currently looking for a better efi-string/kext for my graphics. used efistudio & got mine qe/ci support so i'm quite happy w/ my present setup.

i too is currently looking for a better efi-string/kext for my graphics. used efistudio & got mine qe/ci support so i'm quite happy w/ my present setup.

Well, I gave up on 10.5.5 and went back to 10.5.4 where my QE/CI worked. Perhaps someone will figure out if the 6600's are plagued with some error and will find a fix for it! Thanks though for your help. All this work I've done on this machine has made me an expert on your method of installation. I can do it all by heart now. Ha!

Well, I gave up on 10.5.5 and went back to 10.5.4 where my QE/CI worked. Perhaps someone will figure out if the 6600's are plagued with some error and will find a fix for it! Thanks though for your help. All this work I've done on this machine has made me an expert on your method of installation. I can do it all by heart now. Ha!

wondrin why u don't have qe/ci support in 10.5.5. just recently replaced my gf6500 256mb & it has no problem w/ qe. u may try the natit.kext i've attached.

Natit.kext.zip

I used this method about a week ago and it worked awesome! However, as i was messing around with the USCEHCI kexts to try to get sleep working on my laptop for 10.5.5, i messed up the system and lost all usb. Since i wanted a quick and easy fix i simply tried to restore my hard drive from a previous time machine install (an image right after i got this method working perfect sans sleep).... however after the restore, when i tried to boot up i got the waiting for root error.... anyone been able to restore using time machine and using this method?

OK, I did it! Here is the current scenario in my HP DV6663cl notebook:

Single HDD - GPT disk - 4 Partitions:

1. Vista x64 (NTFS)

2. Data (NTFS)

3. MacLoader (Mac)

4. Macintosh (Mac)

For dual-booting I've flagged the 1st partition (disk0s2) and used EasyBCD in Vista in order to get both, Vista and Mac, in the boot list. If I select Vista, it starts normally... if I select Mac OS X it boots the MacLoader partition and loads Mac Vanilla!!!

Now I'm searching for the correct EFI strings for nVidia 8400m GS and ACL268 sound!

M.

How did you do this install? Here's what I'm thinking but I havent tried it yet.

1.- Start retail Leopard install

2.- Partition disk with GPT and 4 partitions. Two as FAT32 and two as Mac. Same order as yours.

3.- install leopard retail

4.- follow this tutorial to modify MacLoader partition

5.- Boot windows Vista DVD. Hopefully it will see the FAT32 partition, reformat it to NTFS and install

6.- Once Vista finishes load EasyBCD and configure it to see the MacLoader partition.

7.- Done...

Is that what you did?

How did you do this install? Here's what I'm thinking but I havent tried it yet.

1.- Start retail Leopard install

2.- Partition disk with GPT and 4 partitions. Two as FAT32 and two as Mac. Same order as yours.

3.- install leopard retail

4.- follow this tutorial to modify MacLoader partition

5.- Boot windows Vista DVD. Hopefully it will see the FAT32 partition, reformat it to NTFS and install

6.- Once Vista finishes load EasyBCD and configure it to see the MacLoader partition.

7.- Done...

Is that what you did?

Actually I've transferred the systems from an external USB drive, so I didn't really installed them... but this is the order and I think it's going to work...

tip1: install Leopard and MacLoader partition and have everything working, after that, flag the windows partition as active and install Windows; install EasyBCD and that's all.

tip2: don't make the Mac OS the default system in EasyBCD or you won't be able to boot windows...

good luck!

Actually I've transferred the systems from an external USB drive, so I didn't really installed them... but this is the order and I think it's going to work...

tip1: install Leopard and MacLoader partition and have everything working, after that, flag the windows partition as active and install Windows; install EasyBCD and that's all.

tip2: don't make the Mac OS the default system in EasyBCD or you won't be able to boot windows...

good luck!

nice to hear u guys got this working to dual-boot with vista. :D

@darmok

after you've installed retail leopard & have setup the MacLoader, make sure to flag the 1st partition (where u gonna install vista) active. just like what Monkey_@@ said.

good luck & pls. do post feedback.

hey guys,

quick question... how is this method different from Munky's Boot from EFI partition. Both seem to be doing the same thing, Munky's using a hidden partition and MACinized is using a small partition created purposely for this.

Am I missing something? What's the advantage of using one or the other?

Thanks!

munky's work is really great. he's modified dfe's boot (then modded by turbo) to support efi-strings. though haven't tried it yet.

the only thing i don't like about it is it doesn't have support (yet) for dual/multi-booting, which this method provides.

another [advantage(s)] of this method is that it can run under an mbr-hdd & u can easily set this up to a usb-flashdisk or any hdd-partition. perhaps munky's method can also be applied in a usb-flashdisk/hdd-partition but then again it's no longer a "bootloader from efi system partition". :D

at the end of the day, the end-user gets to choose for him/herself. :)

16] Open your boot-132 disc and copy the initrd.img to the "MacLoader" folder in step [15].

MACinized, thanks for this guide.

In paragraph 16, do you mean the initrd.img file itself or the contents of the initrd.img file?

--gyveri

I used this method about a week ago and it worked awesome! However, as i was messing around with the USCEHCI kexts to try to get sleep working on my laptop for 10.5.5, i messed up the system and lost all usb. Since i wanted a quick and easy fix i simply tried to restore my hard drive from a previous time machine install (an image right after i got this method working perfect sans sleep).... however after the restore, when i tried to boot up i got the waiting for root error.... anyone been able to restore using time machine and using this method?

anyone able to get Time Machine working properly with this method?!? It backs up fine for me but leaves me with a waiting for root error when i try to restore the image....

anyone able to get Time Machine working properly with this method?!? It backs up fine for me but leaves me with a waiting for root error when i try to restore the image....

let me see if i get it right. u backed-up the "MacLoader" partition w/ Time Machine then restored it to another partition and tried booting from it (the restored one)?

let me see if i get it right. u backed-up the "MacLoader" partition w/ Time Machine then restored it to another partition and tried booting from it (the restored one)?

No i backed up Macintosh with Time Machine and then used the DVD boot disc to restore only that partition. Then upon rebooting and using the MacLoader to load (as per usual), i was greeted with a waiting for root error and it never loaded. Can I use Time Machine to Back Up both partitions?