[TOTALLY VANILLA] Retail Leopard Install with EFI-strings support [Powered by Chameleon 2.0]

MACinized

344 posts in this topic

would anyone confirm whether or not contents of /System/Library/Extensions and Extensions.mkext of a freshly installed leopard 10.5.5 are all the same across any computer?

MACinized - I guess the only way to know is for a few people to post copies and someone cross check them.It could make a difference if install disc is 10.5.1 and you upgrade to 10.5.5 as opposed to 10.5.4 install disc updated to 10.5.5, the reason I say this is because I've just done a fresh 10.5.4 disc install updated to 10.5.5 today and since installing by this method and with 10.5.4 install upgraded to 10.5.5 for the first time i have QE on my nvidia gs8300! (used same kext set for all installs I've done). Only thing not solved yet on Asus p5k-vm is ALC883 sound for which i have used installer from Kayway disc. If thats all I have to change in future it's no real issue.

Having said I reckon the kernel on mac loader partition will need changing if upgrade has a kernel change. I say because initially i did method with 10.5.4 then updated after and got kernal panic. Then did it again after first updating to 10.5.5 and everything spot on.

ALC883_DS3_hda.pkg.zip

Extensions.zip

roisoft - Thanks for the update

Have removed actions of step 25 & 27 now boots a lot quicker

MACinized - need to edit original post.

ok, will check on it when i get home. too bad i'm out of town right now until wednesday.

can't just edit post#1 yet since it provides for my complete process of the method which works just great w/ my machine. when i get home & tried w/out the /System/Library/CoreServices folder and all the original/vanilla kexts from /Extra/Extensions, i'll update the guide.

everyone should remember that w/ this method, u can never boot directly w/ the "Macintosh" partition simply because it's the retail/vanilla one, thus the needed hacked/modded kexts were never loaded. if timeout is not set or interrupted, need to boot w/ the "Mac Loader" partition.

hope MACinized able to update the 1st post.. im getting blur already, but i can see this method rocks!!

u may want to try it already taking note of the input from incabulos as confirmed by roisoft himself. DB1 has already tried it and says it makes bootup faster.

that is:

follow the guide taking note of these:

> skip step [25];
> w/ step [26], don't create the "CoreServices" folder anymore; and
> skip step [27].

i can't edit the 1st post just yet since i haven't tried it myself. can't wait to try it as soon as i get home. ;)

ok, will check on it when i get home. too bad i'm out of town right now until wednesday.

can't just edit post#1 yet since it provides for my complete process of the method which works just great w/ my machine. when i get home & tried w/out the /System/Library/CoreServices folder and all the original/vanilla kexts from /Extra/Extensions, i'll update the guide.

everyone should remember that w/ this method, u can never boot directly w/ the "Macintosh" partition simply because it's the retail/vanilla one, thus the needed hacked/modded kexts were never loaded. if timeout is not set or interrupted, need to boot w/ the "Mac Loader" partition.

No need for all extensions as also no need for CoreServices.

You can boot only with 3 files, I did a guide that covers darwin to darwin bootloader (2 separate disks) but can be used as pre-loader (Boot-132) see my post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=115636

Of course if you use boot-132 you need the modded kexts on initrd

I followed the guide up till step 14. I updated to 10.5.5 and rebooted. Then I selected my OSX partition but this time with -f. It booted and I got the grey screen with the spinning wheel. After a minute or so it rebooted, so I selected my OSX partition again with -f but this time it hung. So I started again with -v and the last line is:

"localhost mDNSResponder mDENResponder-176.2 (some date): starting"

And that's it. I searched the forums but they are not the same as this and there is no solution (at least I couldn't find it). Help is appreciated :D

[uPDATE] I just disabled my LAN and now I get two more lines about ntpdate and that no server can be used. After that my HDD does some things and it hangs. :)

Hi oguz286!

I have exactly the same problem! My Board is a Asus P5K-E WIFI.

This problem exists after upgrading to 10.5.5. (The Original-install 10.5 works)

Does anyone has an idea about this?

Thanks!

grisu & oguz286 - which boot iso's are you using, have you checked posts related to boot iso's for your mobo's?

Here's the place to look: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...114834&st=0

This method only works with RETAIL DVD

If you are using retail it would seem update to 10.5.5 update is affecting Lan or Wifi, just need to find the right kext to modify your initial boot iso CD and use those for initial install and making boot loader.

Have either of you had a retail install running by any other method (Chameleon, DFE 132, EFI) ?

For peeps to help they need more detail

No need for all extensions as also no need for CoreServices.

You can boot only with 3 files, I did a guide that covers darwin to darwin bootloader (2 separate disks) but can be used as pre-loader (Boot-132) see my post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=115636

Of course if you use boot-132 you need the modded kexts on initrd

hey macgirl! nice to have you visit this thread.

when i get home tomorrow, i'll go try edit my "Mac Loader" to contain just the following:

• boot (dfe's)
  • mach_kernel
  • /Extra/Extensions/*modded*.kext(s)
  • /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
  • /Library/Prefences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

for the purposes of proper acknowledgement, this method of (pre)loading com.apple.Boot.plist from the boot-132-chameleon partition was introduced by roisoft. in my knowledge, it was about last month that a number of people (including myself) were looking for this kind of method & roisoft was the one who shared the idea. but w/ your guide (link you've provided) time-stamped Jul 14 2008, 02:12 PM, this approach is also/already provided. was it just u didn't notice us before and we've not looked around hard enough or roisoft really deserves the credit? :gathering:

we've not looked around hard enough or roisoft really deserves the credit?

"deserves the credit"? I´ve never wanted credits man, if you read carefully the previous threads, you will see i´m only answering a question about if this stuff is posible or not, I´ didn´t know anything about the macgirl´s work ok? and cmon, this stuff is not the philosophal stone, you can go at netkas forums and you will see several months ago(february) people like zephyroth, taruga, kiss, forik, favlex and myself included are talking about this, so please stop with this ...

38176Imagen%201.jpg

41086Imagen%202.jpg

24788Imagen%203.jpg

11423Imagen%204.jpg

I don´t want credits, end of history please...I´ve always answered questions even p.m´s and whatever you´ve requested , right MACiniced?

this situation is not funny for me, so please delete my name of your guide and stop with this

Why do you take this in a bad way roi ? he just means that he is thankful for the help you gave him and from there you gave others since he made the guide .

It's not like he's saying something bad about you (bit confused atm)

Guest oguz286
grisu & oguz286 - which boot iso's are you using, have you checked posts related to boot iso's for your mobo's?

Here's the place to look: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...114834&st=0

This method only works with RETAIL DVD

If you are using retail it would seem update to 10.5.5 update is affecting Lan or Wifi, just need to find the right kext to modify your initial boot iso CD and use those for initial install and making boot loader.

Have either of you had a retail install running by any other method (Chameleon, DFE 132, EFI) ?

For peeps to help they need more detail

The boot iso I'm using is the one provided by Elastic. It's the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4_ISO. And I have used a retail dvd, so that should not be the problem. This is the first time I did a retail install so I've not tried Chamelion or DFE 132, but I did use EFI once but that was when 10.5.2 was just out. I have no problem running 10.5.0.

About the Lan part, I have a Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit onboard. Further specs are in my sig. I don't know if there are kexts for Lan in the boot iso I used, but if there isn't one that means that I have been using the one in 10.5.0. But the 10.5.5 kext isn't compatible with my onboard Lan, or at least it's a possibiliy. I'll try to see if I can find more info on this. Thanks for your help :)

ok, i´m sorry , my apologies, but please understand me my english is very bad...

hope i didn't offend u in any way roisoft. i've edited post#1 to thank u for bringing the method right in my doorstep. tnx Ziggar for expressing our shared appreciation of roisoft's help in giving the meat of this guide.

btw, just got back home & tried & tested that "CoreServices" & /System/Library/Extensions/*.kext are not needed. edited post#1 accordingly.

hey thx for this great guide,

I have some questions about this method:

• what about apple updates, which change the mach_kernel and the Extension.mkext file? This won't update the corresponding files on the boot-partition. Will I still be able to boot the updated system?
  • or are these files (mach and extenstion) only needed in the first stage of starting the whole system and after this the "updated files" on the untouched partition are loaded?

thx

• what about apple updates, which change the mach_kernel and the Extension.mkext file? This won't update the corresponding files on the boot-partition. Will I still be able to boot the updated system?
  • or are these files (mach and extenstion) only needed in the first stage of starting the whole system and after this the "updated files" on the untouched partition are loaded?

thx

after each update (i.e. to 10.5.5, to upcoming 10.5.6, & so on), update also the mach_kernel & Extensions.mkext in the "Mac Loader" before restarting your computer.

i've edited post#1 to provide for this. tnx.

thx

I did some testing tonight with this method both on internal HDD and external USB HDD. With the internal HDD, I installed the Retail 10.5.4 and then updated to 10.5.5 using the MacOSXUpd10.5.5.dmg. Then I patched audio and copied the Extensions.mkext and mach_kernel to my boot-partition. Rebooted and everything was good.

With the external USB HDD, installed Retail 10.5.4 and this time I updated through Apple's Software Update. It rebooted by itself the first time and the second time it booted up to 10.5.5. Again, I patched audio and copied the Extensions.mkext and mach_kernel to my boot-partition. Rebooted and here I am typing this post to give my feedback.

Thanks Macinized and roisoft for this! ;)