[TOTALLY VANILLA] Retail Leopard Install with EFI-strings support [Powered by Chameleon 2.0]

MACinized

344 posts in this topic

Hi Macinized,

I first want to thank you for your guide. I tried and with somewhat success installed the Retail 10.5.6 Leopard on Dell e 6400 with Intell graphics.

But when I came to Step 9 with the MacLoader I started to get confused since I am very new to Mac as well as this procedures.

Here are the steps I took and my questions as follows;

1 - I created 2 partitions MacLoader and Leopard and installed the Retail OS on Leopard partition.

2 - I downloaded MacLoader5.2.1.zip and unzipped on my PC, it produced 2 folders _MACOSX and MacLoader5.2.1. I copied them into MacLoader partition.

3 - I downloaded all the KEXT zip files, uzipped them, and put them into MacLoader5.2.1/KEXTs folder in MacLoader partition.

4 - I ran the macloader.command from same location.

5 - I rebooted and it loaded into Leopard but with nothing working, I still have to use the USB Keyboard and Mouse.

Is this the right procedure? Did I miss anything (Perhaps trivial step, but to me it is major I guess)?

How do I use the KEXTs? Did I do the right thing? Do I need to copy them into different place? Do I copy them as folders (When I unzipped them it unzips them as folders) or whats underneath them?

I would highly appreciate your response or anyone's response on this matter.

Thank you so much.

Jack

Hi Macinized,

I first want to thank you for your guide. I tried and with somewhat success installed the Retail 10.5.6 Leopard on Dell e 6400 with Intell graphics.

But when I came to Step 9 with the MacLoader I started to get confused since I am very new to Mac as well as this procedures.

Here are the steps I took and my questions as follows;

1 - I created 2 partitions MacLoader and Leopard and installed the Retail OS on Leopard partition.

2 - I downloaded MacLoader5.2.1.zip and unzipped on my PC, it produced 2 folders _MACOSX and MacLoader5.2.1. I copied them into MacLoader partition.

3 - I downloaded all the KEXT zip files, uzipped them, and put them into MacLoader5.2.1/KEXTs folder in MacLoader partition.

4 - I ran the macloader.command from same location.

5 - I rebooted and it loaded into Leopard but with nothing working, I still have to use the USB Keyboard and Mouse.

Is this the right procedure? Did I miss anything (Perhaps trivial step, but to me it is major I guess)?

How do I use the KEXTs? Did I do the right thing? Do I need to copy them into different place? Do I copy them as folders (When I unzipped them it unzips them as folders) or whats underneath them?

I would highly appreciate your response or anyone's response on this matter.

Thank you so much.

Jack

DO NOT put inside the "MacLoader" partition the "MacLoader" folder from this guide. the script runs an erase/reformat of the target partition [MacLoader] which i would assume failed in your case since a script is running from that partition. just put it anywhere, e.g. desktop or downloads folder, but not on the target partition.

the extra kexts that should be placed inside the "KEXTs" folder (which is inside the "MacLoader" folder) are the kexts you used to install leopard (i.e. u use with boot-132). those kexts should be at the root of the /"MacLoader"[folder]/"KEXTs"[folder].

good luck.

DO NOT put inside the "MacLoader" partition the "MacLoader" folder from this guide. the script runs an erase/reformat of the target partition [MacLoader] which i would assume failed in your case since a script is running from that partition. just put it anywhere, e.g. desktop or downloads folder, but not on the target partition.

the extra kexts that should be placed inside the "KEXTs" folder (which is inside the "MacLoader" folder) are the kexts you used to install leopard (i.e. u use with boot-132). those kexts should be at the root of the /"MacLoader"[folder]/"KEXTs"[folder].

good luck.

Thanks for your quick reply. I'll try the way you describe it.

One comment I have that I did not see any KEXTs in the boot.132 cd. Do I need to make the CD with the KEXTs.

Is your boot image maker for that purpose? Could you let me know if that is the case how I can do it?

Thank you again for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

finally, i'm now running a [TOTALLY VANILLA] Retail SNOW Leopard!

i'd be coming up with a (yet another) guide for the purpose. it's more complicated than leopard though.

i'll post the link here the soonest.

ps:

when i talk [TOTALLY VANILLA], it means nothing extra is placed/installed in the partition where the Mac OS X is installed. pre-boot requirements all reside in the MacLoader partition.

Hi MACinized,

Do you think it's possible to have an "Upgrade Guide" for those that are using 10.5.8?

Thanks,

M.

it's possible. but at the moment, i'd focus 1st on a fresh install. i believe understanding the guide for a fresh install would make the leopard-to-snowleopard-upgrade easier.

gonna sacrifice some "sleeping-hours" again. :D

I have sucessfully installed Retail Leopard 10.5.6 and updated to 10.5.8. System also boots from chameleon using macloader. Thanks Macinized :D

My hardware is:

Mobo - Asus P5W DH

GFX - Ati x1900

Problems:

1. No Audio

2. Can only choose 1024 x 768 resolution

3. Firewire not detected (I really need this!!)

Now I understand I can put the kexts I need into the extras folder, but how?

In the MacLoader partition Extras folder I have "Themes" folder, "com.apple.boot" and "extensions.mkext"

Do I somehow upack the extensions.mkext, then add the kexts I need and then repack?

I have searched and searched and am very confused by all the many posts I have read on these forums :)

Please can someone point me in the right direction.

I have sucessfully installed Retail Leopard 10.5.6 and updated to 10.5.8. System also boots from chameleon using macloader. Thanks Macinized :D

My hardware is:

Mobo - Asus P5W DH

GFX - Ati x1900

Problems:

1. No Audio

2. Can only choose 1024 x 768 resolution

3. Firewire not detected (I really need this!!)

Now I understand I can put the kexts I need into the extras folder, but how?

In the MacLoader partition Extras folder I have "Themes" folder, "com.apple.boot" and "extensions.mkext"

Do I somehow upack the extensions.mkext, then add the kexts I need and then repack?

I have searched and searched and am very confused by all the many posts I have read on these forums :)

Please can someone point me in the right direction.

go to the "MacLoader" folder. manage your kexts inside the "KEXTs" folder (i.e. add/remove). then execute the updater.

So I can add individual kexts, then run the updater?

Also I am having trouble finding the kexts I need. Can you help me regarding this?

One more thing, how can I see what's inside extensions.mkext?

Extensions.mkext is the cache of all kexts inside the "KEXTs" folder. so if there's only one kext inside the KEXTs folder, then Extensions.mkext contains only that kext.

mkextunpack -a i386 -d Extensions Extensions.mkext

• 1 month later...

sorry, am im missing something?

long time no update on this thread, i just wanted to say that thanks to this guide ive succesfuly installed snow leo on a asrcok wolfdale1333-d667

had to patch dsdt on my own after a lot of reading and following this guide http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=143340

in order to make the gma950 and sleep work

now everything is working, thanks to everyone who participates on this comunity

i will put my dsdt for this mobo, i hope it may be useful for somebody

DSDT.aml.zip

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok I have been reading through various threads and trying to find an answer for my solution and I hope someone here can help me. I want to have my bootloader installed on the EFI partition just as in Munky's guide, but I have tried following his guide without it working. The Macloader works great for me but I would prefer to have it installed on the EFI partition of my drive. If anyone could maybe give me a guide of how to do this. I have tried to mount and format the EFI partition, then install the Macloader on that partition using the macloader.command and all I get during boot up is a blinking cursor. I am running a DG33TL board and have all the necessary kexts.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hello, when i insert the retail Leopard disk after the bootloader, the apple logo loads but the spinning loading whel never appears. Any help? I have a dell 4400 with intel processor and enough RAM. Everything should work out. Any help or ideas? Thanks ;)

Hello, when i insert the retail Leopard disk after the bootloader, the apple logo loads but the spinning loading whel never appears. Any help? I have a dell 4400 with intel processor and enough RAM. Everything should work out. Any help or ideas? Thanks :)

Well, it is not as simple as you state it. Whilst there is no hardware support for any hardware other than that of Apple, all drivers for hardware you have (not likely to be similair to Apple) needs to be hacked or modded. Try booting with the in verbose mode (-v) from the bootloader to see what is going on.

• 2 weeks later...