Dell XPS 1530 Kalyway guide

zijian

23 posts in this topic

After what seemed like countless installs of Leopard on my laptop (like 9 or 12), I've finally got as close to perfect as I possibly could.

The only thing that remains is the shutdown/restart/sleep, while webcam may work for you if you didnt screw it up like I did.

Anyway unlike some other guides i've read, all you need is your kalyway 10.5.2 disc and vista installation disc.

Yep, nothing but those two discs, isnt that better than having to stock up on 5 different programs (or something)?

Okay let's get started, if you have a dell xps 1530 then your hardware will be able to install for sure. Other models, please check compatibility as I CANNOT assume responsiblity if you screw up... not that I will for xps 1530 either XD.

Assuming you have vista installed (if you don't then do it now), I'd recommend you make 3 partitions. 1 partition for vista, 1 for leopard, and 1 for your files. This way you can keep your files incase either Leopard or Vista screws up and you gotta reinstall - saved me countless hours of recovery.

If you're just installing vista right now (or going to soon), it's fairly simple. Once you get in the installation menu, choose "advanced", delete everything for a fresh start (recommended but you dont have to), and creat 3 new partitions.

*NOTE: If you create 3 partitions, it does not mean they'll be formated. To format them , click format. YOU MUST FORMAT THE PARTITION IN ORDER FOR IT TO SHOW UP IN LEOPARD INSTALL!!

If you're already have vista but doesnt know how to create more partitions, just click start menu, right click My Computer, and selete Manage. From there you can choose to shrink your current partition to create another one, or create one from unused volume. Whatever you do is up to you.

Once you got 3 partitions (or at least 2 minimum, where 1 is for vista and other for leopard), restart with kalway disc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PART I, ENTER THE DRAGON... LEOPARD?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you restart with Kalyway disc? again assuming you have xps 1530, reboot with kalway already inside your drive, and press f12 repeatdly until you're taken to the boot menu. Choose to boot from cd/dvd.

Alright, after a short load, press f8 when prompted (or wait for like 8/10 seconds), and type "-v" (without quotes) and press enter. Alternatively you can just press enter to start, but everyone does the "-v" thing so why not.

If you cannot get through this part, do not ask me to help as I cannot not help you. I'm sure this forum have a lot of people who are more knowledgeable than me in the coding/troubleshooting part. but you should not have a problem if you have xps 1530 anyway.

So once you get in, choose whichever language you want, and wait for the top menu to appear. Once it does, click on Utilities, and choose Disk Utility.

*NOTE: After entering disk utility, take a look at the order your partition is in. Your vista partition should appear as disk0s3 or something. MAKE NOTE OF THE ORDER.

Now, click on the partition that you would like to install your leopard on, and make sure its the right drive!! I cannot stress enough that you MUST choose the right drive.

If you're asking, "why is my partition not showing up", then i'm guessing you did not FORMAT your partition. If this is your case, simply quit the installer, go back into windows, and format the partition.

Once you've chose your drive and made sure its the right one, choose the Erase tab on the right and select the option with "Extended Journaled" or w.e. in it, make up a nice name for your partition, and click erase.

*NOTE: If you cannot erase properly, it PROBABLY means you've screwed up on your previous attempt to install leopard, and you've messed up your hard drive. You can look for another way, but one way that i got it work is I deleted every single partition by using the vista installation disc, and created new ones. Again, you can look for another way to fix this problem if you have precious data and you're too lazy or can't back it up.

Now all you gotta do is quit disc utility, and "Continue" your installation process. accept the liability etc etc, and customize your install. All you really need is the graphics driver, and time machine fix if you wanna use time machine. I strongly recommend getting time machine fix. Other drivers you can do it once you've finished installing your leopard.

Anyway finish up and install.

You're done your first part, now the hard one begins XD.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PART II: Dualboot

OH NO YOU CAN"T BOOT INTO VISTA OR MAC!! WHAT DO YOU DO??

Now a lot of people says you need another disc to boot into vista, but i say no.

Again boot into Kalway disc, BUT this time enter "-s" and press enter.

Once the loading is done, and you can actually type, enter the following:

fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0

when prompted to make new MBR, type "y".

if you really want to see leopard now (trust me, you do), exit by typing exit, and again type

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
	flag 2
	exit
	reboot

again, flag 2 is under the assumption that your leopard is installed under partition number 2. if not, change it, it might be 3, or 1, or 31 for all i know (dont create too many partitions, it'll slow your computer down).

Now when you reboot, you should be able to boot into leopard perfectly. isn't that great?

However, if you try vista you'll probably get a boot error. horrible.

with kalway disk still inside, again do the "-s" and type

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
	flag 1
	exit
	reboot

again, 1 is assuming your VISTA is installed on 1, if not change it.

Once rebooted, press f12 you go to boot option. Now, take out your kalway disc, and put in your vista installation disc. Wait till your disc have spun (you hear the noise) for about 10 seconds, and choose boot from disc. DO NOT REINSTALL VISTA!!!! simply repair it. Vista is smart enough to know that your boot is screwed up, and offers to fix it and reboot. say YES!!!

after you do, take out your vista disc, and you should have boot Vista and Leopard to boot into.

PHEWWW

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PART III: Getting your hardware to work

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, if you chose the graphics driver at the start, then you'll be fine for graphics driver. If you have the dell 1390 wireless card, then it should work natively. Some says 1505 also works, some say it doesnt. Personally, i had an intel 4965agn which would NOT work. But thankfully we do have xps 1530, and it has TWO network card slots. I just bought a 1390 card off ebay for 13 dollars.

*NOTE: when i bought my 1390 card at first, it DID NOT WORK. the reason was that the revision on the card was A02. The seller was nice enough to have me go to his house and try all the 1390 cards he have, and the A03 revision worked perfectly. SO CHECK BEFORE BUYING!!!!

For sound, get AppleHDA Patcher 1.16 (ONLY 1.16 WILL WORK!!!), which you can get from

here

and also get the 9228 txt, available from here.

Once you got both, just drag the txt file to the patcher and your sound should work without a problem.

To fix the USB problem, since it probalby wont detect it when you plug it in, LioNEXT made a nice guide, check it out here. Alternatively, you can just upgrade to kalyway 10.5.3 without any hassle.

*NOTE: When upgrading, follow the instructions. I'd recommened you to NOT CHOOSE any extra kernels, just install the kernel package without selecting anything. If you know what you're doing however, by all means choose the selection that's right for you.

Anyway sleep/shutdown/restart does not work. and although in my case, sleep acts like restart - do not use it often as it DOES NOT save your settings, its powering off your system as its working, which is unsafe, and could mess with some system files.

Anyway hope this guide will help you with your XPS m1530, feel free to ask questions or add suggestions.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the guide. I followed your guide but with some changes. In the first step of setting up dual boot, when i used exit in the code, the system kept on booting into OSx. When i changed to quit it worked fine.

USB works for me right away. I didn't need any help in that. My keyboard layout couldn't be detected by OSx and i chose Standard ANSI 101 keys kbd.

Right now continuing with the process of dual boot .. Will let you know if i have some problem.

Thanks for the tutorial

- Falcon 47

My partition table looked like this in the Disk manager utility tool :

disk0s1

Recovery

OS

disk0s5

Macintosh

The OSx is installed in Macinstosh. Now i get a problem with the step 2 in the Dual boot setup menu. I am not able to go into Mac nor Windows.

My partition table looked like this in the Disk manager utility tool :

disk0s1

Recovery

OS

disk0s5

Macintosh

The OSx is installed in Macinstosh. Now i get a problem with the step 2 in the Dual boot setup menu. I am not able to go into Mac nor Windows.

Okay, well I've edited my steps since i forgot to delete a portion of unnecessary steps.

Basically insert ur Kalyway disc and boot, press f8 when prompted, and type "-s".

after the load, type, "fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0", type "y" for yes to confirm.

this command will reset your MBR, after which your vista boot will be corrupted, but Mac will be fine.

If you want to see at this point, type

"fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0"

"flag 5"

"reboot"

You should be able to boot into Leopard after this.

If you want to boot into Vista, I dont know whether your Vista drive is 1,3, or 4, but flag the correct one instead, reboot, take out Kalyway disc and put in ur vista disc. Once vista installation is loaded, choose ur language and click next. Then, do not choose Install, but choose repair on the bottom left corner. Vista should automatically detect the corruption and repair itself.

At restart, take out vista disc and put Kalyway back in and boot from there again. You'll have to flag 5 again and you're done.

Hello

Thanks for the help. I managed to complete the installation of Kalyway 10.5.2 with a Darwin dual boot screen ( waits for 30 seconds ).

I have Kalyway 10.5.3 update package. There are two files

1. Combo update

2. Kernel update

I started it but then back tracked because i wasn't sure of what should i select in the Kernel update. Should i select Vanilla Kernel ? Or should i leave the Kernel update untouched ?

Got the Apple HDA Patch zip from Googling. Now working on audio setup !!

As usual restart / sleep / shutdown not working. But for me Webcam is working ! Btw can you suggest some Wi-Fi USB adapter for Internet connection ?

- Falcon 47

Hello

Thanks for the help. I managed to complete the installation of Kalyway 10.5.2 with a Darwin dual boot screen ( waits for 30 seconds ).

I have Kalyway 10.5.3 update package. There are two files

1. Combo update

2. Kernel update

I started it but then back tracked because i wasn't sure of what should i select in the Kernel update. Should i select Vanilla Kernel ? Or should i leave the Kernel update untouched ?

Got the Apple HDA Patch zip from Googling. Now working on audio setup !!

As usual restart / sleep / shutdown not working. But for me Webcam is working ! Btw can you suggest some Wi-Fi USB adapter for Internet connection ?

- Falcon 47

First of all, I chose nothing from the kernel update - but that doesnt mean you dont run it, you just install it without either one of the optional packages.

As for Wifi usb adapters, I cannot make any suggestions because I do not use one. My laptop uses a Dell 1390 wireless card and it works natively. However, I'm sure there are many threads down in the hardware section that'll have the info you need. Sorry if i cannot be more helpful, but I can't suggest anything I haven't used myself.

First of all, I chose nothing from the kernel update - but that doesnt mean you dont run it, you just install it without either one of the optional packages.

As for Wifi usb adapters, I cannot make any suggestions because I do not use one. My laptop uses a Dell 1390 wireless card and it works natively. However, I'm sure there are many threads down in the hardware section that'll have the info you need. Sorry if i cannot be more helpful, but I can't suggest anything I haven't used myself.

Update worked fine. No problem at all. I had do the USB enabling part manually. Now working on audio. I somehow have lost the nVidia driver settings i believe. I am getting max resolution as 1024 X 768. Any ideas on this ??

Thanks

- Falcon 47

Update worked fine. No problem at all. I had do the USB enabling part manually. Now working on audio. I somehow have lost the nVidia driver settings i believe. I am getting max resolution as 1024 X 768. Any ideas on this ??

Thanks

- Falcon 47

Have you tried reinstalling the driver package? the nVidia driver packages are extremely common, all over the threads. Just look for it.

Have you tried reinstalling the driver package? the nVidia driver packages are extremely common, all over the threads. Just look for it.

Yeah .. worked out the driver installation. I just needed to move some kext file from a different path to the correct one. Then it worked fine.

- Falcon 47

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi together,

ich want to make Mac OS on my 1530.

I had read alot the last Days. Very good to have a Guide for it!

But is it possible to make only Kalyway on my 1530 without Windows Vista?

I`ve heard there can be Problems with 2 OS. May be?

Are there any performance losses with 2 OS?

Sorry about my English, i came from Germany

regards >DB<

Hi together,

ich want to make Mac OS on my 1530.

I had read alot the last Days. Very good to have a Guide for it!

But is it possible to make only Kalyway on my 1530 without Windows Vista?

I`ve heard there can be Problems with 2 OS. May be?

Are there any performance losses with 2 OS?

Sorry about my English, i came from Germany

regards >DB<

It is very possible to make it entirely Kalyway without Vista. in fact, it would be easier than the dualboot. assuming u have a new hard drive, insert kalyway disk, format everything as os x extended journaled in disk utility, and install.

if after install you cannot boot in, then one option is to just leave ur kalyway disc in the drive, choose to boot from it, and press enter when possible. this way, the kalyway 10.5.2 disc will boot into the mac, and then just get chamaleon bootloader and install, and you're done.

In my usage of vista, mac os x, and recently 7, there have not been any performance drop what so ever... then again i've never used leopard by itself before.

other than the minor decrease in performance from the partitioning of a harddrive, i do not think there will be a decrease in performance.

I have tried iatkos 1.0i, i deneb, leo4all, and I think a version of kalyway too on my M1530 and I can not get it to boot from the DVD. I get a Apple.boot.plist/System/Library files not found when I select boot from DVD normally or with the -v option.

How did you guys get this to work?

I have tried iatkos 1.0i, i deneb, leo4all, and I think a version of kalyway too on my M1530 and I can not get it to boot from the DVD. I get a Apple.boot.plist/System/Library files not found when I select boot from DVD normally or with the -v option.

How did you guys get this to work?

personally ive done nothing special to get the disk booting. just pop it in, restart, press f2 and select "boot from cd/dvd" option... and that's pretty much it.

so here's a few possibilites of what's happening to you:

1. ur discs were not burned properly, get another trustworthy program.

2. i've had this experience once, where i didnt exactly do a correct instal of leopard and my entire partition was screwed up. it was later fixed wen i deleted every single partition and started fresh.

hope you figure out what's wrong with it.

Yeh I will re download and burn the disk again and then try it. It was weird that none of the disks worked because they were all working on my desktop. I hear its a chipset issue too. Today a dell technician also changed my motherboard in this laptop so maybe that could be it..I dunno.

Yeh I will re download and burn the disk again and then try it. It was weird that none of the disks worked because they were all working on my desktop. I hear its a chipset issue too. Today a dell technician also changed my motherboard in this laptop so maybe that could be it..I dunno.

ah, well my 1530 came last year christmas, so its a little more than a year old. dont know exactly how new your's is, but could definitely be a cause. the one beef i have with my xps is how they changed the control panel cover - before it was slide and lock, mine is snap and lock. im just so afraid of breaking it everytime i open it up, which i had to do to install the bluetooth adapter.

Mine is really a 2008 model, more like 2009 now because they replaced so many damn parts before it started working properly. I was able to install kalyway and my 1505 wifi card works, but I tried the 1.16 patcher with the 9228 codec and I still had no sound. I'm going to try and follow Wingrun's guide to installing kalyway again and updating it to 10.5.3 then 10.5.6.

Did you guys update with the kalyway combo pack?

Mine is really a 2008 model, more like 2009 now because they replaced so many damn parts before it started working properly. I was able to install kalyway and my 1505 wifi card works, but I tried the 1.16 patcher with the 9228 codec and I still had no sound. I'm going to try and follow Wingrun's guide to installing kalyway again and updating it to 10.5.3 then 10.5.6.

Did you guys update with the kalyway combo pack?

kk, hope you get it working. and i got up to 10.5.3 on my xps, because that was the latest at the time. i havent really updated the mac in a year since everything's functioning perfectly, except for shutdown/restart/sleep.

I was able to get it update to 10.5.3 but I didn't mess with sound drivers yet because I wanted to update it to 10.5.6 first but it always hangs once the update installs and it reboots twice. I think I missed backing up some kexts but I am not sure all the ones I need to backup before the update.

• 1 month later...
as u all might know this works with win 7 and osx, anyhow for any dual booting options u need another os installed like xp or any distros of linux if u dont wanna swap cd's forever...

what do you mean swap cds? and i have on my laptop vista, windows 7, and mac os x 10.5.3 ;)