I installed Rhapsody PPC DR2 to my 8600

armus2112

4 posts in this topic

I installed Rhapsody PPC DR2 to my 8600, even with the bad installer which craps out with message "Sorry, the desktop folder on the startup disk could not be created. Try unlocking the disk." My method is a little sneaky but it actually worked... if you have an extra SCSI CD-ROM drive sitting around and can connect 2 CD-ROM drives to your Mac (and you can get your hands on the Rhapsody DR1 PPC install image (and the DR2 PPC one also obviously)) then you should be able to follow this procedure ...

(the Rhapsody PPC DR1/2 is available at that certain "crumbling rocks" site, contained as part of ‘Rhapsody DR1+DR2 x86+PPC’)

So I had downloaded the Rhapsody DR1 PPC image and noticed that the CD boots without any errors. This gave me the idea:

So what I did (in a nutshell) is this:

-connected 2 CD-ROM drives (both internal) to my powermac 8600

-booted DR1 install cd, allowed to boot to the OS8 desktop

-inserted DR2 install cd into other drive .. CD appears on desktop

-ran DR2 installer. It prompts you to agree to terms of service etc etc, you select your hard drive etc, then it (rather quickly) reboots Mac in preparation for the installation

-[quickly] eject DR1 CD, eject DR2 CD, and insert DR2 CD where DR1 CD had just been, as the Mac is restarting

-upon this reboot, a special DR2 Rhapsody install window comes up immediately, the installer should then read the CD drive containing the DR2 CD, and install normally from there

Special Note:

In order to get the Monitor preferences to show ALL resolution choices, you MUST do this in terminal (as root I believe)

To enable the capability to show all display modes, you can do the

>following:

>

>(1) Quit Preferences

>(2) Enter the following command in a Terminal window:

>

> defaults write Preferences NSEnableShowAllDisplayModes YES

Rhap_DR2.jpg

Its only the mac os session on the disk that is borked. and its not even an error thats hard to fix. i got another DR2 image and can try if it works without the error.

you coulve basically used any bootable Mac OS 8 drive/disk to boot your mac. the funky drive swapping isnt needed. Im installing on my 8500 right now without booting Mac OS from the CD at all. i was booted from a small Mac OS parttion of one of the hard drives.

I tried 3 scenerios:

1- boot into OS 9.1 from external SyQuest SCSI HD and launch Rhapsody installer from CD - it complained about needing to boot from original CD.

2- Copy the system folder from the install CD to internal HD, boot from HD, launch installer. Again it complained and aborted.

3- Copy the system folder from the install CD to an external SyQuest SCSI drive, boot from that, launch installer. Again it complained.

I cannot fathom how you got it to work from simply booting OS 8 on a hard-drive and then double clicking the installer from the CD. Your method is the same as my #2 scenerio.

:)

its some time ago i did the last time but i tihnk thats the way i did.

nvm im getting another DR2 PPC image right now and will try if this one works. was ripped with toast afaik. i can compare md5s with the ones posted in the other thread and will up the image on bs if it works.