Broadcom BCM5787M/BCM5784M - A solution

nobb1x

246 posts in this topic

hi, here is the last hexedited version of the AppleBCM kext, this one is specific for BCM5787M 14e4:1693

there is an huge readme included, please read it, it explain everything.

you can have your mac address with this one and i encourage you to set yours

it has been tested on some different configurations and it seem to work, i'm using it to post right now

if it don't work for you,be sure you have a 14e4:1693 device then report here, thanks

good luck

Broadcom5787M.zip

N.B. these kexts are intended for Leopard, up to 10.5.8

--EDIT

See this post for BCM5784M - thanks to Boombeng

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=963461

--EDIT

UPDATE

Snow leopard (10.6.2 & 10.6.3) Broadcom 5787M kext - do not use this with Leopard 10.5.8 and older.

5787M_32_64Bit_AppleBCM5701.zip

INSTALLATION: use kext utility to install, or do it manually if you know how.

This kext don't read the MAC address of the card, you need to set it manually if you need, to do it open a terminal

session and type "sudo ifconfig en0 (or en1 if you have more than one card) lladdr YO:UR:MA:CA:DD:RS

it works both on 32 and 64 bit modes.

-EDIT

UPDATE 2

Snow Leopard 10.6.3 only (untested on 10.6.2 and earlier)

10.6.3.5787M.zip

This is the last version, and it come from 10.6.3. FINALLY IT SUPPORT MAC ADDRESS FROM THE CARD, no more

needs to set it manually.

Features:

Read mac address from the nic

support 32 and 64 bit modes

support sleep/unloading

To INSTALL, update to 10.6.3 and replace the original Apple kext into IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins

fix permissions and reboot.

(N.B. this has been tried only on the 5787M 14e4:1693, please figure yourself how to modify to work with other BCM card, i can't test)

• Like 1

It seems to me that this is too much fiddling to get it working.

I use the kext from Rubydream in another thread about the broadcom card.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=903347

This works right away, no installing extra scripts to get it to work for the same BCM5787M 14e4:1693 card.

Also claiming you can have the MAC address but only by hardcoding it in the driver.

I would like to see a driver reading the MAC from the card.

It works here on ACER EXTENSA 5220. Very nice!

I don't know how many forums I have read about and now I'm connected with my notebook. Thank you.

PS: The KEXT of Rubydream UNFORTUNALEY does not work for me but I saw a post where people said it does. REGARDS.

when i type ifconfig it say :

lo9,fw0 and if i try tcpdump -i lo0 or fw0 it return ipv4 adress non assigned

Then, it not load at all, you must have a en0 or en1 interface, try the following

unpack the kext into your desktop so you have a folder called "Broadcom5787M"

open a terminal window and type "sudo -s" then type your password (without quotes "")

type "cd Desktop"

type "cd Broadcom5787M"

type "chown -R root:wheel AppleBCM5787MEthernet.kext" (write only the inital letters "Appl" then press TAB it will autocomplete)

type "chmod -R 755 AppleBCM5787MEthernet.kext"

type "kextload AppleBCM5787MEthernet.kext"

if it don't crash type now

"ifconfig"

and look if an en0 interface is there, if there try now "tcpdump -i en0"

fw0 and lo0 are the firewall and local interfaces, not ethernet

If it load try to read again the readme for better instructions.

• Like 1

Your kext works fine but i have some questions:

1.- About mode promisc, exactly what function have it in the driver ?

2.- If i try use the autostart script (Start_Promisc folder) in /Library/StartupItems no start and network no works but if i write in terminal sudo tcpdump -i en0 works, or the script folder go in /System/Library/StartupItems ?

3.- What happen if network cable is not connected and is executed the autostart script ?

Note: I already changed enX to en0 (bcm5787m) in start_promisc file.

Regards & thanks for your help.

Hi, here is the answers

1) the original driver has been patched to remove some of the checks, it has been writed for a 5701, and c++ sources has never been released, the patch affect the transmit/receive data and it only work when forced in promiscuous mode, i'm still looking at it, with bad luck until now.

2) are you sure about file permissions? did you read the readme? are you using the rtc fix as explained in the readme? it must be in /Library/StartupItems

3) nothing happens, maybe the tcpdump running in the background stole you a few cpu cycles

Your kext works fine but i have some questions:

1.- About mode promisc, exactly what function have it in the driver ?

2.- If i try use the autostart script (Start_Promisc folder) in /Library/StartupItems no start and network no works but if i write in terminal sudo tcpdump -i en0 works, or the script folder go in /System/Library/StartupItems ?

3.- What happen if network cable is not connected and is executed the autostart script ?

Note: I already changed enX to en0 (bcm5787m) in start_promisc file.

Regards & thanks for your help.

Do i need to remove the AppleBCM5701MEthernet.kext from IONetworkingFamily.kext's plulgins folder.

I just installed the driver you attached,and thanks for that.

i do what you said in the readme file,

the network card had recognized correctly with the right mac addresses,

when i copy the Start_Promisc folder to /Library/StartupItems/ and reboot,but macosx crashed.

is that any possible to not copy the Start_Promisc file to that folder?or should i just remove the Start_Promisc from that folder.

i gotta have one more try.

thanks in advance.you did a great job.

Simply works when nothing else would. Didn't think I'd ever get Ethernet working on my Acer Extensa 5620. HUGE thanks! The auto-start script makes this truly seamless ;)

did it ask you to reset all your devices (router, modem, etc) a lot? It recognizes ethernet on my 5620 now, but i get stuck on that loop, and it still fails to connect in the end

did it ask you to reset all your devices (router, modem, etc) a lot? It recognizes ethernet on my 5620 now, but i get stuck on that loop, and it still fails to connect in the end

this driver works only on promiscuous mode, are you sure have you tried to run a tcpdump to force the adapter in promiscuous mode?

In my circumstance, it appeared to connect, but wouldn't actually transfer any data until I enabled promiscuous mode. I tested it using the first method (leaving the console open), then rebooted and installed the startup script as instructed. I didn't have to edit anything manually at all, as my Ethernet is already en1. Just follow all directions exactly and you should be good! I now don't even have to think about it, it simply works as it should. The 5620 turned out to be excellent for OSX :blink:

hi, here is the last hexedited version of the AppleBCM kext, this one is specific for BCM5787M 14e4:1693

there is an huge readme included, please read it, it explain everything.

you can have your mac address with this one and i encourage you to set yours

it has been tested on some different configurations and it seem to work, i'm using it to post right now

if it don't work for you,be sure you have a 14e4:1693 device then report here, thanks

good luck

The script on this package works great!

Keep up the good work pal!

Hope we can run this on non-promiscuous mode :P

Thanks again!