The Care & Feeding of XNU

Hagar

59 posts in this topic

personally, i'm not really agreeable to those who are extremely bashing efi-x. but of course, who can really blame them since efi-x has commercialized the "existence" of the OSx86 Community?

but well, don't really care much as long a there are still a number of talented people who are sharing their time & knowledge to the whole OSx86 Community. :P

Well MACinised if you'd really read the EFI-X thread you'd have seen me write this

"I'd like to nail this idea that EFI-X takes something away from anybody. It doesn't. It adds another string to your bow, an arrow to your quiver, a belt to your braces [select appropriate metaphor]

I have a genuine Mac experience due to having genuine Macs - a G5 and a G4

I wanted to dabble with OSx86 so I put Kalyway on my Acer laptop and went through all the trials (great fun)-see my sig

I need a fast, solid trouble-free 'Mac Pro' at the heart of my recording studio for recording not tinkering. Thankyou EFI-X

I have a P4 workstation on which I'm going to explore the whole wonderful Boot-132 process as it develops

There is no losing here. All the above approaches are totally valid and non-exclusive"

There it is. Amazing huh? Unlike some I'm not against or threatened by any of these ideas. Or any other developments that come along - I welcome them. I think the ingenuity and creativity of some people here is incredible and I'm full of admiration for them

It's sad and tiresome to read the hate, which just won't go away. It's sad that some people are unable to big up one idea without taking swipes at another

I was particularly amused by someone who appears to hate jews, communists and EFI-X with the words "put and(sic) end to hate" in their sig :)

Whoa there, good sir! EFI-X took a long, long time to move from stated delivery dates to actually delivering either the product or, more to the point, any useful information about it. The result was threads of impatient and irritable folks and virtual silence form the company. EFI-X were very much their own worst enemy and so they are starting from a low base. Please don't be so quick to pick on the haters, many of them were alienated by promised delivery dates and thin trickles of information that read like infomercials rather than useful information. Also, the price is much higher than envisaged and I know a lot of people who are waiting for it to plummit once mass production hits its stride.

Another thing that is annoying to the generally good, informative and helpful folks in this community is to see EFI-X folks on this forum suggesting that installing OS X is hard work... Provided you are using the self same hardware that EFI-X advise you to use, and provided you can read a tutorial, it's not hard. Isanelymac has a vast technical support forum. If you're someone who can format a hard drive, install Windows and drivers and can read a tutorial, you might want to save yourself some money. If you have money to spare then EFI-X, of which I too am a fan, may well be a good investment. Keep in mind, though, that whether you use EFI-X or not, you should be buying Leopard and and iLife08. Also, for most of us, this hobby is a poor man's stepping stone to Mac Ownership. I own a MacMini and Mac hardware. Also, do the math. Once you have purchased all the parts, the software and EFI-X and factored in the time taken, wouldn't it be better to suggest that someone new to this buy a used iMac? There are a lot of used recent spec gorgeous iMacs out there. Unless you're dong architectural/photoshop rendering, heavy duty video editing or are a hardcore games player, the speedy Apple operating system and applications don't need a processing powerhorse, especially in this age of big utility bills... Then again, there's more than one way to keep a small room warn through the winter! Pentium D, anyone?!

But getting back on topic! I love the voodoo kernel. Very impressed with 9.4.0 beta. A very significant speed increase on my laptop (from the 9.2.0 speedstep kernel), as you would expect of several kernel revisions. The point is, Speedstep seems to be working!! Which means I'm not stuck on the 9.2.0 speedstep kernel. No Sleep but then I have never had that on this lapop. Looking forward to 9.5.0 beta. Keep up the great work. :)

You make some reasonable points - EFI-X certainly didn't get off to the most illustrious start. I think the story broke too early; I know they would have wanted to drum up interest, but I have to agree the website was very poor and the information thin on the ground. But that was then and it'd be nice to move on now. I think the idea is good and they are focused on their target market, doing things the way they see fit. I mean I hope they succeed with their corner of this

I'm really glad the innovators here are ploughing on breaking new ground too - hardly a day goes by where the boundaries are't pushed a little further

The iMac doesn't really cut it for a Logic-based studio I'm afraid, but be assured I've bought both OS X and Logic as well as hardware from Apple

Anyway I think I've said enough - the haters will go on hating and the doers will go on doing. I'll keep reading and asking questions where I need to :blink:

Not the place for beta test reports, I know, but I wondered if others are finding their Time&date clock's seconds hand is turning too fast and video play back is speeded up? I have a pretty bog standard spec. Looking forward to beta 2, here!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The release candidate is only hours away.... (Holding breath)....

(Booked a sick day of work already for Dec 1st's final release :)

This project is a fork of the XNU kernel utilized by Darwin and Mac OS X whose goal is to provide additional support for hardware and functionality to users which use XNU kernel driven operating systems.

Release Candidate http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/

25 Nov '08 Release candidate should be out very soon (hours..). We are just waiting to confirm if all branches are good to go, then we have to merge, compile and upload. There have been some very major changes so the merge / compile is expected to take a while.

Final release expected 1 Dec '08 if all goes well.

Since we are close to finalizing everything, we are no longer accepting any more bug reports. The Issues tab has been removed and will be re-enabled once RC goes online.

• 1 month later...