The Care & Feeding of XNU

Hagar

59 posts in this topic

Is there any hope for this fixing the dreaded "mouse bug" for AMD dual-core processors?

It's outlined here: http://www.infinitemac.com/showthread.php?t=734

To summarise this for future reference; it is not a 'mouse bug' per se, but a dual core timing issue.

Symptoms include:

• Mouse lag - early signs are drag and drop inaccuracies, trail skipping

• GUI lag - Finder window movement becomes choppy and acceleration degrades

• Random restarts - caused by the 'divide by zero' error resulting in kernel panic

• -10810 error - applications will not start until a restart or log out/in

• increased CPU fan noise and temperatures - due to dual core synchronisation errors

• general erratic behaviour - system feels sluggish, unresponsive at times

Remedy (Temporary)

• Boot using the 'cpus=1' kernel flag - this can be done at the beginning of each boot at the Darwin boot prompt, or permanently by editing the com.apple.boot.plist which can be found in: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

That is by far the biggest set back for running OSX on AMD dating back from the very first releases; and there is still no fix. I'm thinking this has something to do with the kernel.

This was a very good read. I felt like I was in the Matrix 4 with all the kernel, etc.. jargon. If this ever goes commercial at least I can say I was part of the history and read it here first. Good interview and nice to see regular folk so dedicated to the cause. Much respect to the developers.

my system goes booting again with 15 secs and back the support to sleep and awake like was done in tiger with the droped 9.4.0 voodoo beta1 kernel

also everything just runs faster as hell without choppy animations

i just cant wait for 9.5.0 final with system.kext :)

this is masterful

voodoo for president now

Just set my system up with alpha 13. Noticeable performance increase on my system (see sig); most importantly to me, OpenGL performance is up ~35fps in the XBench test. Haven't tried any real-world graphics yet though.

Looking forward to final ;).

Also went and test-drove the latest Alpha 13 - extraordinary, that's all I can say! Been using an MSI 975X platinum (first release) with an older dual core (NOT core 2 duo) intel - I've always had sleep and shutting down issues. With this kernel - all problems gone, and the system seems to be significantly faster - will update to 10.5.5 now.

Thanks to the XNU developers, fantastic work this.

u're right, but they would have to adopt it as hell since it's opensource and if you selling it its violating the GNU/GPL license i think.

anyway, great work guys, will give it a try today on my hp pavilion laptop, any threads for reports on this forum?

Amazing how having someone or something to HATE brings some people together

:angel::thumbsdown_anim::thumbsdown_anim: ....... :worried_anim:

hi there efi-x guy. from the efi-x thread, i've read you're a no.1 fan of it. why still the interest of this voodoo kernel?  :)

but then efi-x would say that they have not used one bit of code from anyone, and have coded it themselves xD

Let's just say there are "measures" in the kernel to prevent this :angel: I used to work for a company which made pro backing tracks, and I worked on adding watermarks to our products. I know how to identify my (or any particular) work and provide non-falsifiable evidence.. hehe. Heck, my bachelor thesis is about audio fingerprinting/watermarking - much the same principles apply to sourcecode. A simple hackjob is not enough to remove it.

Let's just say there are "measures" in the kernel to prevent this :angel: I used to work for a company which made pro backing tracks, and I worked on adding watermarks to our products. I know how to identify my (or any particular) work and provide non-falsifiable evidence.. hehe. Heck, my bachelor thesis is about audio fingerprinting/watermarking - much the same principles apply to sourcecode. A simple hackjob is not enough to remove it.

:thumbsdown_anim:

Well MACinised if you'd really read the EFI-X thread you'd have seen me write this

"I'd like to nail this idea that EFI-X takes something away from anybody. It doesn't. It adds another string to your bow, an arrow to your quiver, a belt to your braces [select appropriate metaphor]

I have a genuine Mac experience due to having genuine Macs - a G5 and a G4

I wanted to dabble with OSx86 so I put Kalyway on my Acer laptop and went through all the trials (great fun)-see my sig

I need a fast, solid trouble-free 'Mac Pro' at the heart of my recording studio for recording not tinkering. Thankyou EFI-X

I have a P4 workstation on which I'm going to explore the whole wonderful Boot-132 process as it develops

There is no losing here. All the above approaches are totally valid and non-exclusive"

There it is. Amazing huh? Unlike some I'm not against or threatened by any of these ideas. Or any other developments that come along - I welcome them. I think the ingenuity and creativity of some people here is incredible and I'm full of admiration for them

It's sad and tiresome to read the hate, which just won't go away. It's sad that some people are unable to big up one idea without taking swipes at another

I was particularly amused by someone who appears to hate jews, communists and EFI-X with the words "put and(sic) end to hate" in their sig :)