[HOW TO] Patch AppleHDA - Knowledge Base

THe KiNG

392 posts in this topic

hy the king

i've tested this new one.. but the ALC888 contain only a plist file.. my log tell:

kextload -v -t ALC888STNotebook.kext

Seems that u learned 1 command kextload :)

Dunno how to explain better for you to understand THAT KEXT IS ONLY A FIX KEXT!

DON'T kextload it!

Put that kext with HDAEnabler.kext in /System/Library/Extensions and make sure you have there original AppleHDA.kext

That's all you have to do!

If you still don't understand I gave up!

coco?? did you talk with me?

i tried to put hdaenabler into a plugins folder.. created ex-novo.. by copy from a regular applehda.. but nothing

the info.plist managed by the king does not contain instructions about osbundle and dependencies.. nor for a binary file.

then.. even if i use a regular hda driver.. from (i.e.) the 10.5.6 one and replace the info.plist.. it's normal with that plist that all the files included in are not loaded.

I tried to merge this info.plist.. with plugins.. with the binary patched in hex to match with 0888 cards.. but 'no executable' still return again..

then.. i'm asking how can he wrote.. that he run this kext successfully!.. maybe he can bypass the 'executable' requirement when os load somelse kext driver?

booh???

the king.. while you wrote that words.. i just managed all above.

i've passed 3 weeks to do a lot of combinatios of that.

believe me.. In Italy we say.. nothing is sure except for the death.. heh..

then I say.. i'm not sure to be right.. to understand the insanely world of mac.. to do somethings..

but.. I think that I'm very able to comprehend those things. I'm not a programmer.. then I cannot debug or create a driver.. but it have been 13years into systems.. I think i can do -a little bit- of what you do!

then.. not being sure of something else.. is a way to be modest. that's all..

i'm here to collaborate.. to listen.. I hope you're here for the same.. eh?

ciao.. thanks.. really!!

:)

now: i'll erase all audio kexts..

put the original 10.5.6 hdaaudio

replace info.plist with yours.

cross finger..

see you later

the king: nothing!! same output:

shall I put those rows?

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>AppleHDA</string>

i did it!

the response:

kernel extension AppleHDA.kext has problems:

Validation failures:

{

"Info dictionary missing required property/value" = (

"OSBundleLibraries"

)

}

Warnings:

{

"Kext has a kernel dependency prior to version 6.0 and CFBundleVersion does not match executable's MODULE_VERSION" = true

"Kext has a kernel dependency prior to version 6.0 and CFBundleIdentifier does not match executable's MODULE_NAME" = true

}

Hi The King

I have a few q:

1. no verbs for N/A devices, right? or am i wrong

2. Once the verbs set, do i need to set ALL the PathMaps data ?

I mean , u said :

"Item1 setup LineIn *here I have to figure out how to add Internal Mic support

Item2 setup SpdifIn

Item3 Setup Internal Speakers/ExternalSpeakers(you will see 2 child on it)

Item4 setup LineOut

Item5 setup SpdifOut"

But item ,2,5 and maybe 4 are N/A on my system

so can i have just two items ? (or is there a special order to list the combinations - does it corelate with layouts/pathmapref ?)

item1 with data for mic

item2 with both headphone and spk data

3. for that matter, do all items on Layouts/PathMapRef have to be there ? can i delete spdif out altogether ?

4. If intspeaker does not output anything, can i swith to line out(even if it is N/A on codec dump) ?

Thanks a lot for helping me.

Edit: BTW: do u have a AppleHDA set for a notebook ( without line in/spdif/all other desktop cards features ) - maybe i started with the wrong codec. Please don't answer use plist kexts- i need a real hda 10.5.5 kext. Thanks AGAIN :)

i tried to put hdaenabler into a plugins folder.. created ex-novo.. by copy from a regular applehda.. but nothing

the info.plist managed by the king does not contain instructions about osbundle and dependencies.. nor for a binary file.

Right since is just an ENABLER/FIX kext

then.. even if i use a regular hda driver.. from (i.e.) the 10.5.6 one and replace the info.plist.. it's normal with that plist that all the files included in are not loaded.

I tried to merge this info.plist.. with plugins.. with the binary patched in hex to match with 0888 cards.. but 'no executable' still return again..

You don't need to patch the binary, and I'm pretty sure you didn't patched the info.plist's right

then.. i'm asking how can he wrote.. that he run this kext successfully!.. maybe he can bypass the 'executable' requirement when os load somelse kext driver?

Wrong again, you don't read well what I write...my kext only fix on the fly original one...

booh???

the king.. while you wrote that words.. i just managed all above.

I don't think so...or you have a different codec then mine, for sure is a different lappie...

i've passed 3 weeks to do a lot of combinatios of that.

believe me.. In Italy we say.. nothing is sure except for the death.. heh..

then I say.. i'm not sure to be right.. to understand the insanely world of mac.. to do somethings..

but.. I think that I'm very able to comprehend those things. I'm not a programmer.. then I cannot debug or create a driver.. but it have been 13years into systems.. I think i can do -a little bit- of what you do!

I didn't created a driver, just a fix kext for my lappie, if you don't belive me then check my lappie guide see what other user say about it...

then.. not being sure of something else.. is a way to be modest. that's all..

i'm here to collaborate.. to listen.. I hope you're here for the same.. eh?

The reason for this guide, pay attention THIS GUIDE, was to create a place with compressed knowledge base, instead, with a few exception, all I get was requests for help and stupid questions...

I have a very bad impression about Italy, about people and goverment and the new fascist way of life they try to implement, anyway this is not a place to speak about that, I will try to help you, so make a zip with your codec dump(from your acer) and vista .reg if you have it.

Hi The King

I have a few q:

1. no verbs for N/A devices, right? or am i wrong

Right

2. Once the verbs set, do i need to set ALL the PathMaps data ?

Not necessary all, I mean u can get rid of spdif as ex, but you still need the main one like intspk, HP etc.

I mean , u said :

"Item1 setup LineIn *here I have to figure out how to add Internal Mic support

Item2 setup SpdifIn

Item3 Setup Internal Speakers/ExternalSpeakers(you will see 2 child on it)

Item4 setup LineOut

Item5 setup SpdifOut"

But item ,2,5 and maybe 4 are N/A on my system

so can i have just two items ? (or is there a special order to list the combinations - does it corelate with layouts/pathmapref ?)

item1 with data for mic

item2 with both headphone and spk data

3. for that matter, do all items on Layouts/PathMapRef have to be there ? can i delete spdif out altogether ?

Yes

4. If intspeaker does not output anything, can i swith to line out(even if it is N/A on codec dump) ?

No

Thanks a lot for helping me.

Edit: BTW: do u have a AppleHDA set for a notebook ( without line in/spdif/all other desktop cards features ) - maybe i started with the wrong codec. Please don't answer use plist kexts- i need a real hda 10.5.5 kext. Thanks AGAIN :)

Better we can speak on irc.

king, in your desktop ASUS P5K3 you got also 5.1 selectable?

just wondering ... i hope u don't have problems also with greece LOL :)

(and yes this is not the place for political discussion but just in any case you lost it,

look in utube what was happening in december-january here :( )

king, in your desktop ASUS P5K3 you got also 5.1 selectable?

just wondering ... i hope u don't have problems also with greece LOL :censored2:

I have no problem with any nation on the planet lol

Was just a tough about italian gov and ppl...

For 5.1 check:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87336

and

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=143510

thankz, i was looking for those threads :rolleyes:

we are finished here, u are the man :wacko:

EDIT: one last thing that i noticed right now, so i post in for info

frontpanel headphones do not work (work/but no sound)

when u plug in the earphones for example, automatically the sound from the speakers goes mute

and u see in preferences that output from "internal speaker" change to "headphones", that's good

but no sound coming out, not even noise or signal

i did a restart to test in windows, and they worked correctly, so something is wrong with applehda

i add this note, so somebody else try it and post back (ADI1988B last kext from king)

though the mic connection (frontpanel again) works correctly (tested earphones as a mic and i record the sound in logic)

so all the outputs/inputs work, apart from the headphones in the frontpanel

thankz, i was looking for those threads :(

we are finished here, u are the man :D

EDIT: one last thing that i noticed right now, so i post in for info

frontpanel headphones do not work (work/but no sound)

when u plug in the earphones for example, automatically the sound from the speakers goes mute

and u see in preferences that output from "internal speaker" change to "headphones", that's good

but no sound coming out, not even noise or signal

i did a restart to test in windows, and they worked correctly, so something is wrong with applehda

i add this note, so somebody else try it and post back (ADI1988B last kext from king)

though the mic connection (frontpanel again) works correctly (tested earphones as a mic and i record the sound in logic)

so all the outputs/inputs work, apart from the headphones in the frontpanel

I'm not sure what kext you used...

On latest AD1988b I removed front panel support

Seems that you are using old one, afaik I dont have front panel on my case so I cant test it...

Oh man, this 'tutorial' went right over my head. I try to follow it, but don't understand half of what its saying. The instructions just aren't that clear to me. Is anyone willing to help me understand better? I'm trying to get audio for my Realtek ALC889 working, and it looks like it's similar to ALC883. Here's my codec dump. Also, many of us looking to get this working here.

EDIT: I also add ALC883 codec dump for comparison.

6920g_alc889.txt

ALC883_dump.txt

Oh man, this 'tutorial' went right over my head. I try to follow it, but don't understand half of what its saying. The instructions just aren't that clear to me. Is anyone willing to help me understand better? I'm trying to get audio for my Realtek ALC889 working, and it looks like it's similar to ALC883. Here's my codec dump. Also, many of us looking to get this working here.

EDIT: I also add ALC883 codec dump for comparison.

Joined for 3 days and you want to understand months of work? lol

Your codec is already fixed, look better.

*Edit No is not. Next time specify that is a laptop codec :/

another poor soul with alc662 rev1. (asus p5kpl-vm). no damn sound out of it.

Yeah for some reason Rev.1 of ALC662 refuse to work, still investigating it...

Check later for news.

Sorry I didn't tell you it is a laptop. It is an Acer Aspire 6920g, with ALC889 not ALC889A. The two are completely different. From my search, I figure the ALC889 is similar to ALC883 and ALC889A similar to ALC885. I just did a comparison from ALC889 and ALC889A and they are actually closer than I first thought. ALC889A is actually missing some functions of the ALC889, which means that it is actually a gimped sound card of the ALC889.

DPyro.. The King is not able to manage driver from scratch or compile for a laptop which is 'particular' as yours or mine

behind the shadows of judging people bacause of 'their geographycs position' he deny his help to who's asking help!

but -maybe- i think he's not able to solve.. all the problems. but it's right! no one can solve all problems.

in fact we are here not only to take advice.. but also to offer. Me.. for example.. I helped a greek.. in these days I'm helping a russian which sent me a dozen of PM.. then.. I can choose: Shall I answer and give the best help I can do.. of Shall I consider him (if I thinked as the king) like a man who eat childrens?? ha ha

I worked 15years.. then I know that is not good (and is not cool/good way to be/bad style/not kind) to share personal idea into a forum of brains/passion/enjoying where personal and private idea are replaced with universal values.

then.. if he answer that he can't help.. or he's not able to.. is more proud and honest than express bad opinin to a person who has the good and the bad destiny to born in a specific Country!

I finally figured out how to get internal mic working!

I'm too tired to explain what I did now, but I will edit later...

So how did you get your Internal Mic working. I tried change the NOD ID 19 verb data into the same as MacBook Pro but it didn`t work.

I`m wondering how did you accomplished that. I heard coconup achieved by chang the Port Connectivity and Location to 0 and Mics display as External Mics. But it didn`t work here.

Here is my InMic/ExtMic codec dump info.

Node 0x18 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x40018f: Stereo Amp-In Amp-Out
 Amp-In caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x03, stepsize=0x27, mute=0
 Amp-In vals:  [0x02 0x02]
 Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x00, stepsize=0x00, mute=1
 Amp-Out vals:  [0x80 0x80]
 Pincap 0x08173e: IN OUT HP Detect Trigger
Vref caps: HIZ 50 GRD 80
 Pin Default 0x01a19830: [Jack] Mic at Ext Rear
Conn = 1/8, Color = Pink
DefAssociation = 0x3, Sequence = 0x0
 Pin-ctls: 0x24: IN VREF_80
 Unsolicited: tag=00, enabled=0
 Connection: 5
 0x0c* 0x0d 0x0e 0x0f 0x26
Node 0x19 [Pin Complex] wcaps 0x40018f: Stereo Amp-In Amp-Out
 Amp-In caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x03, stepsize=0x27, mute=0
 Amp-In vals:  [0x02 0x02]
 Amp-Out caps: ofs=0x00, nsteps=0x00, stepsize=0x00, mute=1
 Amp-Out vals:  [0x80 0x80]
 Pincap 0x08173e: IN OUT HP Detect Trigger
Vref caps: HIZ 50 GRD 80
 Pin Default 0x99a3093f: [Fixed] Mic at Int ATAPI
Conn = ATAPI, Color = Unknown
DefAssociation = 0x3, Sequence = 0xf
Misc = NO_PRESENCE
 Pin-ctls: 0x24: IN VREF_80
 Unsolicited: tag=00, enabled=0
 Connection: 5
 0x0c* 0x0d 0x0e 0x0f 0x26

THE NOD ID 0x18 verb data is 30 98 a1 01 so I added values 30 90 a1 01 to the Config Data

THE NOD ID 0x19 verb data is 3f 09 a3 99 so I added values 10 01 a0 90 to the Config Data

But it still not working. It`s kinda frustrating.

My Int Mic NOD ID Complex is 0x19-0x22-0x09 which is 9 34 8

Ext Mic NOD ID Complex is 0x18-0x23-0x08 which is 8 35 9

What I should change now, any idea? :wacko:

Ok instead of following this guide to get the verbs from linux dump, I found it was much easier to get the PinConfigOverideVerbs from windows registry. Here is what I got for ALC889.

Name: ALC889
Decimal: 283904137
Hex: 0x10ec0889
Hexedit: 8908ec10

PinConfigOverideVerbs:

<01171c30 01171d11 01171e56 01171f18 01271c4e 01271d09 01271ea3 01271f99 
01471c1001471d01 01471e13 01471f99 01571c1f 01571d10 01571e21 01571f02 
01671cf0 01671d11 01671e11 01671f41 01771cf0 01771d11 01771e11 01771f41 
01871c40 01871d9c 01871ea1 01871f02 01971cf0 01971d11 01971e11 01971f41 
01a71c41 01a71d34 01a71e81 01a71f02 01b71cf0 01b71d11 01b71e11 01b71f41 
01c71cf0 01c71d11 01c71e11 01c71f41 01d71c2d 01d71d85 01d71e16 01d71f40 
01e71c20 01e71d11 01e71e45 01e71f02 01f71cf0 01f71d11 01f71e11 01f71f41>

I hope some of you can help me with the rest of these guides. I was following MadTux AppleHDA patch guide here.

Sorry I didn't tell you it is a laptop. It is an Acer Aspire 6920g, with ALC889 not ALC889A. The two are completely different. From my search, I figure the ALC889 is similar to ALC883 and ALC889A similar to ALC885. I just did a comparison from ALC889 and ALC889A and they are actually closer than I first thought. ALC889A is actually missing some functions of the ALC889, which means that it is actually a gimped sound card of the ALC889.

Leave other codecs in peace! Make your own dump.

DPyro.. The King is not able to manage driver from scratch or compile for a laptop which is 'particular' as yours or mine

I said several time is hard for me to fix a codec w/o that hardware, was hard for Taruga too, he buyed some cards just to test specific codecs! And Laptops are more f*cked then desktops b/c ODM's chose what to use in that specific laptop, so make your own sh*t!

behind the shadows of judging people bacause of 'their geographycs position' he deny his help to who's asking help!

You take the life too serious, was just a joke/tought based on real life situation...LOL

but -maybe- i think he's not able to solve.. all the problems. but it's right! no one can solve all problems.

True its impossible to do that for one person

in fact we are here not only to take advice.. but also to offer. Me.. for example.. I helped a greek.. in these days I'm helping a russian which sent me a dozen of PM.. then.. I can choose: Shall I answer and give the best help I can do.. of Shall I consider him (if I thinked as the king) like a man who eat childrens?? ha ha

Why do you think I write this guide? For me? Hell no!

I worked 15years.. then I know that is not good (and is not cool/good way to be/bad style/not kind) to share personal idea into a forum of brains/passion/enjoying where personal and private idea are replaced with universal values.

My mistake...as I said you take the life too serious

then.. if he answer that he can't help.. or he's not able to.. is more proud and honest than express bad opinin to a person who has the good and the bad destiny to born in a specific Country!

I know better what I can do, you didnt do anything then complain/beg, so stfu!

So how did you get your Internal Mic working.

Look on my latest ALC888Notebook.kext plist info, if you still don't understand then gave up!

Ok instead of following this guide to get the verbs from linux dump, I found it was much easier to get the PinConfigOverideVerbs from windows registry.

You didn't bother to read the guide, its explained on how to get verbs from linux/and or vista and how to use vista one with Diabolik help to make them right.

For all of you, check the first post, it say with bold fonts to not complain/ask/beg here, this was supposed to be a damn Knowledge Base where people share what they know, not a place where people just ask for help and they expect for others to do their work!

Take it or leave it!

Simple as that.

If this will continue like this I will delete this guide and fu*k all this.

ok.. it's true.

i take life too seriously!! sorry. but it's easy to move into dangerous topics.. then. You can't know how is difficult for us to live in a country when every day starts new laws and those laws will encourage one day some kind of people.. one day others.. i don't want to write in particular.. because it's not a good idea.

then.. will we came back to 1st step?

i'm not a veteran of mac.. not a programmer.. but my goal is to meke working that damn audio card.

i'm not a veteran of mac.. not a programmer.. but my goal is to meke working that damn audio card.

Lets close this "political stuff"

I asked you once, now I ask again, make a zip with your linux dump and if you have vista pinconfig.reg.

Also add a txt on it and describe how many jacks you have on it and what they do on windows.

I will try to help you

ok.. I wrote you an attachment with 2 folder

one is the hda audio.. the second is what I think is another codec audio (maybe the modem) but is not important

but under vista in the

{4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

registry I see the 0000 subkey with the pinverbs.. but also a 0007 subkey with the secodary sound card..

I'm concentrate on the 1st.. that is the alc888!

in the zip you see the reg.. but thanks to the utility in other topics.. the pinconfigoverride.exe.. i have the dump regular

weeks ago thanks to your guide.. i've crated the exact codec verbs only reading and decoding the codec#0 linuc dunp (in attached)

which has all the info (pinconfig default.. number of node.. etc..)

and it's the same as vista.

other attachment.. the jpg map from graphviz.

the description of what the laptop acer (5930..6930.. and newer x930) has

bye

consider that i've tried all the attachements in this forum.. (not sure at 100% but.. ) and ipc x-dl.. xxx-- lawless.. iatkos.. ideneb alc888X package.. i'm very tired of those tries.. but consider that is not my philosophy to stress a man and ask an advice.. first I wan to test all the road and conditions.. and I think I've done without good results.

thanks

ugo

@ugokind Sorry but I didn't understand quite well how many jacks you have and what they do.

Tried on acer site to figure out wtf model is but failed lol

Also codec dump confuse me @ front and rear stuff

Can you try to make one using latest mandriva distribution(those dumps specify left right front etc) to figure out what u have on it...also if you have some pics would be nice

Anyway the main problem on your lappie is 5.1(dunno if applehda can handle 3 internal speakers bu u will be the test guy), for the start I will try to enable just internal speakers/headphones and mic/ext mic then we will see if we can anable the rest but you will need to use agregate device or soundflower to play the sound on all outs...

sorry for late.. bad adsl internet line at this hour!

there are 3 jacks. the black is HP out, the purple is Mic in, the Blue is line in. you see them in the main photo on the link below.

but there are more photoes here

wow.. i'm searching for acer in acer website.. in USA the 5930 series is not sold.

this is in uk

and this is the detail about IO connectors:

I/O Interface

* 1x Acer EasyPort IV connector

* 1x ExpressCard™/54 slot

* 5-in-1 card reader (SD™, MMC, MS, MS PRO, xD)

* 4x USB 2.0 ports

(1x USB 2.0 port combined with eSATA port)

* 1x eSATA port

* 1x HDMI™ port with HDCP support

* 1x Consumer infrared (CIR) port

* 1x external display (VGA) port

* 1 x RF-in jack

(on models with TV Tuner only!)

* 1x Headphones/speaker/line-out jack with S/PDIF support

* 1x Microphone-in jack

* 1x Line-in jack[/b]

* 1x Modem (RJ-11) port

* 1x Ethernet (RJ-45) port

* 1x DC-in jack for AC adapter

--

FOR THE REST: OK.. the codec is good.. but you say.. and also linux is wrong?

ok .. i thinked it.. but the strangeness is that if you collect data and create your pin verbs.. you obtain the same as vista!

therefore ..in ubuntu/kubuntu last release the audio is not perfect.. external mic is working fine.. but ONLY if you switch on the boost option and the boost raise to top!!! and mic frontal is not working..

ok.. tomorrow i'll get mandriva.. i havent mandriva.. because i adore SuSe.. and debian forks as well. but.. if it's necessary .. i'll do!

then.. i'll write you asap.. maybe tuesday.ok?

bye and.. thanks!!!

I have installed the THe KiNG Leopard HDAEnabler.kext and the AD1988b.HDA.FIX.kext on my Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus MOBO with the ASUS SupremeFX Audio Card, and have now obtained a major improvement over the Taruga_AD1988b_Rev3 / Rev4 installer result...... :unsure:

post-200327-1237768746_thumb.png

See post #279......