AMD CPU Throttling in Leopard

ObsidianX

18 posts in this topic

I've hacked up the ACPICPUThrottle.kext to support full-range CPU throttling on my AMD Turion X2 TK-55 and would love to hear any successes with others wanting AMD throttling. The only thing I can say for myself is that I don't have video support so when I drop to 800MHz it gets very jerky. So if you happen to have a real graphics card and want to give this a go please let me know how it works out for you -_-

To install:

Download this: ACPICPUThrottle_Startup.zip

Move extracted folder to /Library/StartupItems/

Reboot

Fix Permissions

Reboot Again

Voila, you'll have it going.

If you'd rather test before setting it up as a startup item then just navigate into the folder thats extracted from the zip and run:

sudo chown -R root:wheel ACPICPUThrottle.kext

sudo chmod -R root:wheel ACPICPUThrottle.kext

sudo kextload -v ACPICPUThrottle.kext

sudo dmesg

dmesg is to check the output to see if everything went alright. If everything did, then run:

sudo ./CPUThrottleCtrl -v

to run the throttling daemon. Let me know how it goes!

Cheers!

ObsidianX

Hi,

Tried your CPU Throttler yesterday. Worked fine for me - I saw the messages changing the CPU's freq in a terminal. But then I have a tk-55 too - so it would work fine for me.

No GUI jerkyness - I have a nForce 6100 which has no drivers to enable QE/CI. But everything works in slow motion at lower freq - the maximising and minimising animations, the fisheye effect on the dock - everything seems slow. That is different from and Intel mac where the CPU freq reduces and the machine slows down - but the GUI doesn't get into slow motion.

Not sure if your Throtller has anything to do with it though. HAven't tried to see how much it improves battery perf. Will post results when I get to measure them.

BTW - I'm running 10.5.5 with modbin 9.4.0 kernel.

Good work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank a lot.

Using leo4allv3 all problem still exist.

But after using leo4allv5 everything run perfectly.

amd 3800+ available state 1000,1800,2000

kernel voodoo_beta_2c

when autoclock used, running at 1000mhz no more sound problem,

and dock or app animation mini/maxi-mize goes fast, no slow motion again.

But when i down the clock to 1800 max from bios. it won't goest to 900,1600,1800 state just like at other OS.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tried it, works, but there are some slow down issues. iTunes takes about 10 - 15 secs to start playing a song correctly, without skips or static.

Dock is slow.

Dmesg shows the different power states the cpu enters, but I guess it is not smooth or not fast enough when the OS needs it.

Hell, I paid for a dual core 3.2 ghz processor, might as well always be using it. The fan is a little loud, but I will deal with a slightly loud fan rather than slow motion effects and sound and video that starts off slow. Reading other messages here, it seem like this works for people not using hardware accelerated graphics. And if you use a laptop and wish to save your battery. Since I am not on a laptop, I will just deal with it. Thanks for the throttle, I hope it can be fixed to properly work with AMD.

Again, look up NVKush if you need hardware accelerated graphics on a nvidia card. NVinject works too, but not as well as NVKush. Let me know if you need help, Setting the device ID is not that hard.

G'luck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hey i have a amd turion satelite toshiba laptop. i get kernal panic what method you used?

I've hacked up the ACPICPUThrottle.kext to support full-range CPU throttling on my AMD Turion X2 TK-55 and would love to hear any successes with others wanting AMD throttling. The only thing I can say for myself is that I don't have video support so when I drop to 800MHz it gets very jerky. So if you happen to have a real graphics card and want to give this a go please let me know how it works out for you :rolleyes:

To install:

Reboot

Fix Permissions

Reboot Again

If you'd rather test before setting it up as a startup item then just navigate into the folder thats extracted from the zip and run:

sudo dmesg

dmesg is to check the output to see if everything went alright. If everything did, then run:

Cheers!

ObsidianX

• 1 month later...

I got a problem with my HP Pavillion 9580ed on Leopard 10.5.8. I got everything working, except of the CPU management/fan. My laptop makes a lot of noise and gets pretty hot, so I need to install the voodoopower.kext from Superhai. I recognised it works because the fan gets spinning and my laptop makes less noise after install, but I also get huge system/mouse lag. Voodoopowermini.kext doesnt give me the lag, but in that case I the CPU management doesn't work; Laptop still makes the noise and fan doesn't work well.

Anybody got a fix for this? Maby another kext or does somebody know the problem? Maby it is a conflict with my nVidia Inject 0.2 128mb, but I've tried other graphic drivers with no help.

I've hacked up the ACPICPUThrottle.kext to support full-range CPU throttling on my AMD Turion X2 TK-55 and would love to hear any successes with others wanting AMD throttling. The only thing I can say for myself is that I don't have video support so when I drop to 800MHz it gets very jerky. So if you happen to have a real graphics card and want to give this a go please let me know how it works out for you :thumbsup_anim:

To install:

Reboot

Fix Permissions

Reboot Again

sudo dmesg

Cheers!

ObsidianX

I installed ot on my HP dv6640ew (turion tl-58 1.9 ghz) fan runs quietly but I suffer from slow graphic effects (got NVKush) and sound jerks in iTunes ;/ Does anybody know any way to make fan quiet without making graphic slow? 

Thought i'd add something, probly not the place but my hackintosh skills are still novice so the next best thing i have is some photoshopin skills. Made this logo to be cut for my acer and i figured might as well share since i found nothing like it when i went lookin for it. I want to give this a shot but only distro i could get goining on my acer was 10.6.1

whitecuts.jpg