AppleVIAATA over 4gb RAM bug solved (at least i believe so)! JMicron and AppleNForceATA at development

slashack

568 posts in this topic

Hy slashack, the source code on code.google for AppleNforceAta happens to be MeDevils version and not your's, with 4GB support. Please commit your work there :) It took me some hours to read all the modification you did to JMicron and apply to my Nfroce. No wonder why compiling from them did not remove the kernel panics. The onlyth modified drivers in that repository is JMicron :)

Anyway, thanks for the code. My problem seems to be solved now.

You were partially right. I forgot to commit changes since the last time i organized the svn folders.

The modifications where in createChannelCommands method, so if u looked at it carefully and copied the right lines it will work perfectly.

But you are wrong with other things. AppleVIAATA was the first one, so it's modified. JMicron the second. The one that might look that it's not modified it's AppleATIATA. This driver seemed to have 64 bit compatibility, but i wrote the createChannelCommands method again just to make sure.

I'am making some projects with fcp and i can be really sure that's fcp is a complicated software suite. It needs just the right hardware and configuration to work properly. Maybe some performance issue with these patched/modified/old/rewritten kexts is some of that things fcp doesn't like. For example, i cannot have a Qmaster cluster because it just doesn't work no matter what i do with mi hackintosh. So if fcp is the only soft that makes your esata faulty and, at this moment, you are the only one with these problem, i can say it just a fcp issue. If u find another, maybe we could find a solution, but this bug maybe really really hard to reproduce, and i don't have such hardware to try it.

sorry.

Your response is much appreciated. Thanks and i'll try to find out what's wrong and report it as soon as i figure it out. Off topic: if you're using compressor just set your computers on quickcluster then upon submitting you should find the available processors from your other computers from the drop pane saying "this computer". assign the cores as you would like for the render.

Greetings slashack and everyone,

I'm pretty sure I'm suffering from the same IDE driver problem and get the 'grey curtain of death' whenever I use more than about 3 GB of RAM. I get these panics daily, as I'm trying to use most of Adobe CS3 on a regular basis as well as browsers and iTunes. As a band-aid solution, I've removed one of the sticks of RAM and am running 2GB without any problems, although it's noticeably slower with some applications.

System setup:

Gigabyte EP45-DS3L ICH10

Intel Core Duo Quad 6700

4GB Dual channel RAM

2 SATA HDs for MacOS and Time Machine, 1 IDE HD with Windows XP

Parallels set up to access XP on IDE drive

AHCI Mode active in BIOS

Kalyway 10.5.2

I ran the terminal command to create the "dump.txt" file, as you suggested, and did a find for "viaata", "nforce" and "jmicron". "Jmicron" was the only one that kept showing up, so I'm assuming that's the kext I need to change, right?

My concern is that I am in the middle of a number of important projects and can't afford to be performing a system tweak if there is a risk I'll screw up my system.

I've downloaded the JMicronATA.kext v0.6 from GoogleCode. What is the easiest way to install this? Is it easy enough to revert the system back to its previous state if it doesn't work? If so, how? Also, are there any changes I need to make to my BIOS?

Or would it be safer just to pick up an IDE to SATA converter?

Any and all advice is appreciated - and thanks slashack for your outstanding contribution to the OSX86 project! :rolleyes:

Greetings slashack and everyone,

I'm pretty sure I'm suffering from the same IDE driver problem and get the 'grey curtain of death' whenever I use more than about 3 GB of RAM. I get these panics daily, as I'm trying to use most of Adobe CS3 on a regular basis as well as browsers and iTunes. As a band-aid solution, I've removed one of the sticks of RAM and am running 2GB without any problems, although it's noticeably slower with some applications.

System setup:

Gigabyte EP45-DS3L ICH10

Intel Core Duo Quad 6700

4GB Dual channel RAM

2 SATA HDs for MacOS and Time Machine, 1 IDE HD with Windows XP

Parallels set up to access XP on IDE drive

AHCI Mode active in BIOS

Kalyway 10.5.2

I ran the terminal command to create the "dump.txt" file, as you suggested, and did a find for "viaata", "nforce" and "jmicron". "Jmicron" was the only one that kept showing up, so I'm assuming that's the kext I need to change, right?

My concern is that I am in the middle of a number of important projects and can't afford to be performing a system tweak if there is a risk I'll screw up my system.

I've downloaded the JMicronATA.kext v0.6 from GoogleCode. What is the easiest way to install this? Is it easy enough to revert the system back to its previous state if it doesn't work? If so, how? Also, are there any changes I need to make to my BIOS?

Or would it be safer just to pick up an IDE to SATA converter?

Any and all advice is appreciated - and thanks slashack for your outstanding contribution to the OSX86 project! :rolleyes:

JMicron kext has been tested by many users without problems. To be sure you install them right, use KextHelper. This app will install your kext, and place the old JMicronATA kext in the folder /Backup Extensions.

If this update makes you panic if it fails, just keep a bootable osx dvdrom to restore this kext from backup in case it fails installing.

But if i were you, i'll do it. There's almost no risk at all. Just use KextHelper.

The better choice is to buy a SATA drive, but's that an opinion.

JMicron kext has been tested by many users without problems. To be sure you install them right, use KextHelper. This app will install your kext, and place the old JMicronATA kext in the folder /Backup Extensions.

If this update makes you panic if it fails, just keep a bootable osx dvdrom to restore this kext from backup in case it fails installing.

But if i were you, i'll do it. There's almost no risk at all. Just use KextHelper.

The better choice is to buy a SATA drive, but's that an opinion.

Fantastic - thanks for the help, slashack (and the quick reply)! Wish me luck! :)

I have a P5W DH Deluxe. ICH7R SATA ports are in use, I have one more drive to connect. So I want to connect it to the JMicron port.

I tested the new drive plugging it in a ICH7R port, and it works fine.

I tried your driver and it doesn't make any difference :) . My JMicron port is set to "Basic" in BIOS, and JMicron SATA/RAID BOOTROM is enabled.

The one I tried is JMicronATA.kext.zip v0.6 (installed with Kext Helper b7).

Any idea on what can be causing problems?

Thanks!

Rodrigo

EDIT:

Just in case, I tried setting JMicron as AHCI in BIOS. Crashes at the Apple logo (uploaded). It starts to darken the screen as a normal kernel panic, but stops at the middle of the screen and doesn't show the message asking to restart.

Is there any way I can help you? I mean, any place to get more info about that crash.

I restarted and unplugged the drive... Same screen, so the setting itself causes the panic.

Rodrigo.

post-171324-1229717695_thumb.gif

I have a P5W DH Deluxe. ICH7R SATA ports are in use, I have one more drive to connect. So I want to connect it to the JMicron port.

I tested the new drive plugging it in a ICH7R port, and it works fine.

I tried your driver and it doesn't make any difference ;) . My JMicron port is set to "Basic" in BIOS, and JMicron SATA/RAID BOOTROM is enabled.

The one I tried is JMicronATA.kext.zip v0.6 (installed with Kext Helper b7).

Any idea on what can be causing problems?

Thanks!

Rodrigo

EDIT:

Just in case, I tried setting JMicron as AHCI in BIOS. Crashes at the Apple logo (uploaded). It starts to darken the screen as a normal kernel panic, but stops at the middle of the screen and doesn't show the message asking to restart.

Is there any way I can help you? I mean, any place to get more info about that crash.

I restarted and unplugged the drive... Same screen, so the setting itself causes the panic.

Rodrigo.

thatçs a kernel panic. boot with -v debug=0x100 and send another photo

thatçs a kernel panic. boot with -v debug=0x100 and send another photo

Ok.

Maybe it makes some difference, so I'll tell you:

After the last message I wrote, I downloaded JMicron's driver (from their ftp), installed it (has an installer), restarted (JMicron set as Basic on BIOS), same thing (doesn't show up), then installed your JMicron kext again (using Kext helper, but without using JMicron's uninstaller).

Restarted, changed JMicron to AHCI on BIOS. So, there is the kernel panic.

So, it should work on AHCI mode? Or in Basic?

My BIOS vers. is 2704.

Thank you,

Rodrigo

(Photoshop's Photomerge is the best!)

post-171324-1229752704_thumb.jpg

Ok.

Maybe it makes some difference, so I'll tell you:

After the last message I wrote, I downloaded JMicron's driver (from their ftp), installed it (has an installer), restarted (JMicron set as Basic on BIOS), same thing (doesn't show up), then installed your JMicron kext again (using Kext helper, but without using JMicron's uninstaller).

Restarted, changed JMicron to AHCI on BIOS. So, there is the kernel panic.

So, it should work on AHCI mode? Or in Basic?

My BIOS vers. is 2704.

Thank you,

Rodrigo

(Photoshop's Photomerge is the best!)

I have the same problem in AHCI, so I use IDE mode. I can't find so much performance between both!

Any idea of what can that kernel panic error mean?

Thanks,

Rodrigo

That's something related to ATA channel info creation. What's your dev id? What's your setting in bios (AKA are you using SATA in IDE or AHCI mode)?

ICH7R SATA is set as AHCI. JMicron SATA has 3 options: "AHCI", "RAID" or "Basic" (which I suppose is IDE).

I explained in the post, JMicron set as AHCI causes kernel panic. Set as Basic, it doesn't do anything (no panic, no drive showing up).

I don't know where to get the Dev ID :(

My JMicron chip is JMB363, if that helps.

Thanks,

Rodrigo

Edit:

News?

Did these commands:

ioreg -l >dump.txt
umane -a > uname.txt

(both files attached here)

Rodrigo

I see u have 2 ata channels (that's what the JMicronATA.kext is being loaded).

how are your drives connected? how many sata? hoy many ata? your dvd?

Try this kext and show me a photograph of the panic. It will show more info for me to locate the problem.

JMicronATA.kext.zip

Try this kext and show me a photograph of the panic. It will show more info for me to locate the problem.

My Mobo has 6 SATA ports and 1 eSATA.

Pic1:

3 "normal" ICH7R SATA, named SATA1, SATA3 and SATA4.

2 SATA ports for RAID (Asus EZ_BACKUP, not in use), also related to ICH7R I think.

SATA1: (Yellow) 250GB WD boot HD. SATA3: (Red, next to SATA1) Pioneer DVD-RW. SATA4: (Red) 1st Seagate 500GB.

Pic2:

1 SATA port controlled by JMicron: 2nd Seagate 500GB.

I installed the Kext you sent, restarted (JMicron was set as "Basic"), nothing new, computer works, new drive doesn't show up.

Restarted, changed JMicron setting to AHCI. -v debug=0x100 Kernel panic (picture).

Restarted, went back to "Basic".

Thanks again,

Rodrigo

Edit: Forgot to say: This mobo has 2 IDE ports. 1 controlled by JMicron and 1 by ICH7R.

I am using the one controlled by ICH7R for my CDRW. JMicron's one is free.

post-171324-1230095260_thumb.jpg

post-171324-1230095280_thumb.jpg

post-171324-1230095330_thumb.jpg

My Mobo has 6 SATA ports and 1 eSATA.

Pic1:

3 "normal" ICH7R SATA, named SATA1, SATA3 and SATA4.

2 SATA ports for RAID (Asus EZ_BACKUP, not in use), also related to ICH7R I think.

SATA1: (Yellow) 250GB WD boot HD. SATA3: (Red, next to SATA1) Pioneer DVD-RW. SATA4: (Red) 1st Seagate 500GB.

Pic2:

1 SATA port controlled by JMicron: 2nd Seagate 500GB.

I installed the Kext you sent, restarted (JMicron was set as "Basic"), nothing new, computer works, new drive doesn't show up.

Restarted, changed JMicron setting to AHCI. -v debug=0x100 Kernel panic (picture).

Restarted, went back to "Basic".

Thanks again,

Rodrigo

Edit: Forgot to say: This mobo has 2 IDE ports. 1 controlled by JMicron and 1 by ICH7R.

I am using the one controlled by ICH7R for my CDRW. JMicron's one is free.

What's happenin to you is really really weird.

Try this one, it tries to use Legacy mode if native mode fails.

JMicronATA.kext_Legacy_.zip

What's happenin to you is really really weird.

Try this one, it tries to use Legacy mode if native mode fails.

Hey it worked!

I copiedo 20GB of files and had no problems at all...

Do you think you need to improve it? I mean, because of the weird feeling you have about this case.

Thank you!!

Rodrigo

Edit:

Forgot to say that it worked under "AHCI" config. With "Basic" it did the same as always.

Hello, slashack, could it be posible that some of the crashes people is experiencing with the JMicron is related to using the fixed AHCI drivers posted in this thread?

I have a posted a small fix to those drivers to avoid crashes with the JMicronATA, it just resorts to editing the Info.plist so the PATA and SATA controllers are matched correctly using not only the vendor id & device id but also using the class id depending if its the PATA or the SATA controller.

Maybe you should take a look to include that fix in the JMicronATA plist to see if it avoids some of the crashes.

Hello, slashack, could it be posible that some of the crashes people is experiencing with the JMicron is related to using the fixed AHCI drivers posted in this thread?

I have a posted a small fix to those drivers to avoid crashes with the JMicronATA, it just resorts to editing the Info.plist so the PATA and SATA controllers are matched correctly using not only the vendor id & device id but also using the class id depending if its the PATA or the SATA controller.

Maybe you should take a look to include that fix in the JMicronATA plist to see if it avoids some of the crashes.

Those crashes u read about where solved or caused by voodoo kernel. There are currently no problems with JMicron (or at least i think so). Some users reported having sata and ide working with this JMicronATA.kext, so i don't think this driver might need an update. If u have problems just tell me. But i've read that thread and the problems are in AppleAHCIPort and some ICH chipsets.

I have an nForce 680i and a Lite-On DVD burner.

I'm using this file AppleNForceATA.kext(10_4).zip on Leopard and it works great, transferring large files on my SATA drives is completely stable. My DVD drive won't read discs, however. The OS is seeing the drive correctly; it shows up as it should in Apple System Profiler. When I try to read a disc, it spins a little bit and then... nothing. It never mounts. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.

I have an nForce 680i and a Lite-On DVD burner.

I'm using this file AppleNForceATA.kext(10_4).zip on Leopard and it works great, transferring large files on my SATA drives is completely stable. My DVD drive won't read discs, however. The OS is seeing the drive correctly; it shows up as it should in Apple System Profiler. When I try to read a disc, it spins a little bit and then... nothing. It never mounts. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.

Why are you using the tiger version for leopard?

Use the Leopard version for Leopard.

I tried loading in the 0.1 from here. It worked in 10.5.5 with me running the 1.0 release of the voodoo kernel. But when I installed 10.5.6, I get a result that it has detected my hard drives and it has found the bootable drive, but that's it. The only thing after that is it shows a data underrun error with soemthing about a journal not being found. It worked perfectly in 10.5.5, what has changed in 10.5.6?

I tried loading in the 0.1 from here. It worked in 10.5.5 with me running the 1.0 release of the voodoo kernel. But when I installed 10.5.6, I get a result that it has detected my hard drives and it has found the bootable drive, but that's it. The only thing after that is it shows a data underrun error with soemthing about a journal not being found. It worked perfectly in 10.5.5, what has changed in 10.5.6?

What driver? Can u send a picture of the underrun error, or whatever error you got?