AppleVIAATA over 4gb RAM bug solved (at least i believe so)! JMicron and AppleNForceATA at development

• Please log in to reply
569 replies to this topic

pyrates

pyrates

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Sorry but I think to know how my PC works, and it doesn't support ahci. I can assure you that my chipset MCP55 is working in sata mode, not ide; also that kext (originally made by MeDevil) doesn't support nvidia ahci at all, vanilla ahci driver does. There's an intere thread about 6/7 nvidia MB series here: http://www.insanelym...p...20&start=20

Sata mode is ahci mode, so your chipset does support it. I've got the same chipset. And yes that kext does support ahci mode as its the mode my hard drives are in.

So then why is the kext working in SL when it was compiled for Leopard?

Volcacius

Volcacius

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 461 posts
Ahci mode is NOT sata mode, it's an implementation of it which adds functions like hot-swapping. MCP55 chipset doesn't support it, MCP65 and higer does. It's simple beacuse I don't have any option in bios to enable it. If your chipset support ahci you don't need applenforceata, you just have to edit appleahciport plist. However, I don't know why it's working and actually I don't care, I just know that it works (in 32bit mode).

pyrates

pyrates

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Ahci mode is NOT sata mode, it's an implementation of it which adds functions like hot-swapping. MCP55 chipset doesn't support it, MCP65 and higer does. It's simple beacuse I don't have any option in bios to enable it. If your chipset support ahci you don't need applenforceata, you just have to edit appleahciport plist. However, I don't know why it's working and actually I don't care, I just know that it works (in 32bit mode).

AHCI mode is supported on my bios as an option. I've got an asus p5n32-e sli plus motherboard. So I will try this suggestion of editing the appleahciport plist file in that kext.

Volcacius

Volcacius

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 461 posts
Are you sure that it doesn't refer to jmicron e-sata controller?

pyrates

pyrates

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Are you sure that it doesn't refer to jmicron e-sata controller?

I'm only using the nvidia sata ports. There is no e-sata ports on my motherboard.

pranavsg07

pranavsg07

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i installed the viaata.kext and i no longer have the "still waiting for root device" error but now i am stuck on "timed out waiting for IOKit to quiesee". I am not able to boot. The screen goes blank after few minutes.

I am using iAtkos v 7
Intel E8400
Asus P5Q Deluxe
4GB Ram
750 GB Sata (windows)
80 GB ATA(Os X)

kod_mako

kod_mako

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Thank you so MUCH for the kexts! no more panics! yet.. for 5 hours already :)

El Mindo

El Mindo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Filmmaking, Football, Computers, Internet , Web Design, Philosophy, Snowboarding and Art.
I was wondering if someone could help me figure out which kexts I should download.

The problem as I have understood is this 4gb RAM bug.

I'm running:
- EP45-DS3
- Vanilla OS X 10.5.7 w./ Chameleon 2.0 (And Extensions)
- 4gb RAM
- SATA HD
- SATA DVD

Been running this system for almost a year now and this is (almost) the only bug I've been experiencing.
Not the biggest issue, but annoying enough. Mainly occurs while downloading big torrent files (1.2 gb and up), if I'm running a lot of tasks at once or during high disc activity.

Anyone any suggestions?

Eddie Turfboer

Eddie Turfboer

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

I was wondering if someone could help me figure out which kexts I should download.

The problem as I have understood is this 4gb RAM bug.

I'm running:
- EP45-DS3
- Vanilla OS X 10.5.7 w./ Chameleon 2.0 (And Extensions)
- 4gb RAM
- SATA HD
- SATA DVD

Been running this system for almost a year now and this is (almost) the only bug I've been experiencing.
Not the biggest issue, but annoying enough. Mainly occurs while downloading big torrent files (1.2 gb and up), if I'm running a lot of tasks at once or during high disc activity.

Anyone any suggestions?

For me the issue is/was in the ATA controller of my chipset. See my sig for solution.

morten beta

morten beta

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I am not the big coder/developer. Just a simple user going mad from kernel panic, and freezes. I have tried maxmem=3456 - don't know yet if it works. But I want to try your fix. I just do not know how to... Could you do a walk trough step by step? I do not even know what to download from your list...

I am on a MacBook Pro unibody, late 2008, 10.5.8. 4 GB Kingston RAM, NVIDA GeForce 9600 GT.

Thanks.

Good to see someone trying to fix this problem that Apple clearly can not be bothered with.

pyrates

pyrates

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Hi, I am not the big coder/developer. Just a simple user going mad from kernel panic, and freezes. I have tried maxmem=3456 - don't know yet if it works. But I want to try your fix. I just do not know how to... Could you do a walk trough step by step? I do not even know what to download from your list...

I am on a MacBook Pro unibody, late 2008, 10.5.8. 4 GB Kingston RAM, NVIDA GeForce 9600 GT.

Thanks.

Good to see someone trying to fix this problem that Apple clearly can not be bothered with.

This isn't for mac's. It's for hackintoshes. If your mac is freezing, take it to an apple store.

m0rb0

m0rb0

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
I've been using the updated nForce driver on my chipset (mcp55) for a few months...

-MCP 55 SATA
-AMD x2 64 (2.2ghz)
-4GB RAM

Basically, when using the new driver (which fixes the kernel panics) I've noticed by disk read/write is absolute {censored}.

I'm getting about 112mb/sec in xbench on my sata drives (7200 RPM)

I should be getting atleast double that

In Windows (win7.x64) my disks benchmark at 280-320mb/sec

I seem to recall some ppl having speed issues with this driver

Is there any way to get some of my disk performance back without going to SL? (my motherboard doesnt support DSDT)

If it matters (shouldn't) I'm using iDeneb 1.4 with Voodoo kernel

pyrates

pyrates

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

I've been using the updated nForce driver on my chipset (mcp55) for a few months...

-MCP 55 SATA
-AMD x2 64 (2.2ghz)
-4GB RAM

Basically, when using the new driver (which fixes the kernel panics) I've noticed by disk read/write is absolute {censored}.

I'm getting about 112mb/sec in xbench on my sata drives (7200 RPM)

I should be getting atleast double that

In Windows (win7.x64) my disks benchmark at 280-320mb/sec

I seem to recall some ppl having speed issues with this driver

Is there any way to get some of my disk performance back without going to SL? (my motherboard doesnt support DSDT)

If it matters (shouldn't) I'm using iDeneb 1.4 with Voodoo kernel

If I recall, no motherboard supports dsdt. They all have to have a dsdt file generated for them.

m0rb0

m0rb0

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

If I recall, no motherboard supports dsdt. They all have to have a dsdt file generated for them.

True. But when using the DSDT tools , I can never successfully generate a DSDT file. That is what I meant.

Either way, I'm @ 10.5.8 on Leopard and happy. Aside from my disk speed. I don't want to move to SL unless I have to, or it fixes my problem.

troe666

troe666

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
sorry I tried this updated kext on my nForce 4 board but I had no change; whenever I allowed more than maxmem=2048, using an app such as 'SuperDuper' or whatever it is to do a Backup/Image of my drive, i quickly ran into the 32b mem alloc crash.

My machine never crashed on any 'normal' apps like photoshop but intensive apps that just load RAM until its full like backup or databases will still bring down the system with your kext.

bit weird really since even 32bit address space should allow FAR more than maxmem 2048, but the ata bug is the ata bug i suppose. as SOON as i make it maxmem 2048, i can do absolutely nothing to crash it. Damn it.

have tried many versions including super drivers etc. Damn AppleNForceATA I curse you
thats for all the hard work though dude its MOST appreciated.
Trav

Mifter

Mifter

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for the tips

mrgee

mrgee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
The only kext I have is
JMicronATA
I have tried replacing the origianl kext with the modified one but my computer still crashes under intensive CPU activity?

damiankitai

damiankitai

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Worked like charm to me.

Mobo: P5b 

Snow 10.6.3 (10.6.1 Universal install + netkas upgrades)

Had kernel Panics on every heavy load work to Pata drives (IDE) or when burning DVDs. Not anymore!!!

You are a lifesaver. 

Kbob

Kbob

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
is this also helpin my issue ? i'm readin and searchin on for hours and hours but never really find something that fits 100% or at least I don't get it sry....

that's my prob :

Like 3 or 4 weeks ago I managed to get my Asus P5K-E Wifi/AP Hackintosh finally workin(2Duo E6750 and 2 gigs of kingston ram)...Got a new HDD from Samsung few Days ago which is much better than my old one and its even better now...faster...just copied the drives with carbincopycloner....NOW MY PROBLEM: Just bought another 4gig of the same ram and now installed 6 gigs (2x1; 2x2)...The rams work fine cause windows 7 is booting nicely BUT my beloved Snow Leopard (10.6.0) freezes when the grey/silver boot menu with the apple appears...It Just doesn't move no more...PLZ ANY IDEAS? I'm on 64 Bit

-> only got sata drives on ahci mode but nothin workin on ide except my dvd ...

thx very much

edit:

if I take out the 2 gigs and leave only the 4 it isn't working either...Only If I take out the two 2gb rams and put back the 2x1gb it works flawlessly like before... at least I know it something with the 4gb of ram....

these are the memories

KHX6400D2LLK2/2G 2GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC
Low-Latency CL4 (kit of 2) 4-4-4-12 2.0V
KHX6400D2LLK2/4G 4GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC
Low-Latency CL4 (kit of 2) 4-4-4-12 1.95V

hanks1

hanks1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

For me the issue is/was in the ATA controller of my chipset. See my sig for solution.

Hello, I am looking for some help trying to solve the Kernel Panic issue on my netbook. I have a Gigibyte T1028X with Atom Processor N280 1.66GHz with 1 GB ram and 945GSE Express Chipset+ ICH7M for graphics. I successfully installed 10.6.0 and 10.6.2 but this issue happens on both. Everything works well (graphics, touchscreen, wireless, touchpad, etc), boot up is no problem but whenever I tried to install something new like Photoshop or even netbookinstaller to avoid booting from the USB, I get a kernal panic. If I just surf the web or simply leave the laptop on and do nothing else - no kernal panic. Sleep mode even works fine and the system can come out of sleep with no problems. It seems that this only happens when I put a load on the system, for example when a program is being installed. Here is my log from the last panic when I tried to install Photoshop. I tried loading the JMicronATA kext but this did not correct the issuse. I am a newb and would really appreciate any help to intepret this log to tell me what the issue is so that I can correct. Thanks if advance for any help on this.

6/6/10 1:40:20 PM [0x0-0x12012].com.adobe.Installers.Setup[167] Begin Adobe Setup6/6/10 1:40:20 PM [0x0-0x12012].com.adobe.Installers.Setup[167] UI mode: Full GUI6/6/10 1:40:26 PM Setup[167] Calling AuthorizationExecuteWithPrivileges6/6/10 1:40:26 PM authexec[175] executing /Volumes/Adobe Photoshop CS3/Adobe Photoshop CS3/Setup.app/Contents/MacOS/Setup6/6/10 1:40:39 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "h�@���"�&I-h�@���"�&I-h�@���"�&".6/6/10 1:40:44 PM Setup[167] wait result is: 1756/6/10 1:40:44 PM [0x0-0x12012].com.adobe.Installers.Setup 2010-06-06 13:40:44.095 Setup[190:903] Calling AuthorizationExecuteWithPrivileges6/6/10 1:40:44 PM authexec[194] executing /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Installers/R1/Setup.app/Contents/MacOS/Setup6/6/10 1:40:50 PM com.apple.kextd[10] Can't open CFBundle for /Volumes/ramdisk/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext.6/6/10 1:41:10 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "h�@���|�&I-h�@���|�&I-h�@���|�&".6/6/10 1:41:41 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "MX@�����"\�O".6/6/10 1:41:41 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "MX@�����"\�O".6/6/10 1:41:41 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "h�@����"�&I-h�@����"�&I-h�@����"�&".6/6/10 1:42:11 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "h�@���|�&I-h�@���|�&I-h�@���|�&".6/6/10 1:42:42 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "h�@��=q�&I-h�@��=q�&I-h�@��=q�&".6/6/10 1:43:13 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "h�@����"�&I-h�@����"�&I-h�@����"�&".6/6/10 1:43:44 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "h�@��=q�&I-h�@��=q�&I-h�@��=q�&".6/6/10 1:44:14 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "MX����="\�O".6/6/10 1:44:14 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "MX����="\�O".6/6/10 1:44:14 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "h�@��="�&I-h�@��="�&I-h�@��="�&".6/6/10 1:44:45 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "h�@����"�&I-h�@����"�&I-h�@����"�&".6/6/10 1:45:16 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "h�@����"�&I-h�@����"�&I-h�@����"�&".6/6/10 1:45:47 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "h�@����"�&I-h�@����"�&I-h�@����"�&".6/6/10 1:45:59 PM /System/Library/CoreServices/CCacheServer.app/Contents/MacOS/CCacheServer[108] No valid tickets, timing out6/6/10 2:07:38 PM kernel npvhash=40956/6/10 1:46:17 PM configd[13] FIXME: IOUnserialize has detected a string that is not valid UTF-8, "h�@����"�&I-h�@����"�&I-h�@����"�&".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy