Monarchy in Russia

Rhapsody Guru

5 posts in this topic

I actually think it is more or less a communist regime with the usurper at the throne (cleverly disguised as a Monarchy)... It is brutal and unfair that the Romanov's cannot return to the throne.

Guru

What? Are you saying the current government is communist and usurping the thrown?

The romance of the demise of Russia's last royal family aside, the Romanovs, along with the rest of the Russian aristocracy, were both excessively brutal and terribly unfair in their indifference to their people's plight. While I think the results of the revolution were ultimately catastrophic and equally horrific, the premise behind the revolt was certainly justified.

Today, Russia is riding high on a tidal wave of favorable energy prices. They are currently sitting on the world's third largest foreign currency reserves, they are flush with cash, and most importantly the majority of its citizens are experiencing a well deserved rise in their standard of living. Putin and his cronies are also intent on restoring Russian pride and global presence. They are quickly modernizing their armed forces. They are overhauling their diplomatic corps. I don't agree with the retraction of several civil liberties in the process but that really is the business of the Russian people. Their government enjoys a nearly 97% approval rating generally so I have to concede they must think it is all worth it but I certainly don't.

Monarchies are, at best, the benevolent alternatives to the harsh responsibilities of democratic self-governance. At worst, they are the antithesis to freedom and justice. Romanov rule would be just as relevant today as it was when they were rightfully overthrown. I say let the dynasty rest in peace.

Well you certainly strike good points. But I still have this lingering feeling for the lost family rule. I guess if it wasn't for the brutal killing, it would indeed be a fleeting memory of an aged dynasty and nothing more. Personally, I would have liked some sort of justice exacted upon the evil executioners. Also, when the former USSR destroyed the Ipatiev house, they clearly did not want any history of this family or it's dynasty left for anyone to see. What a shame.