[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

• Please log in to reply
1405 replies to this topic

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,900 posts
oh yeah... that :(

B612

B612

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
I often (VERY often) get a kernel panic.
The error message says
devfs_kernel_mount: failed to find directory '/dev', 2panic(cpu 0 caller 0x0036FE74): "Process 1 exec of /sbin/launchd failed, errno 2\SounceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.5.20/bsd/kern/kern_exec.c:2885

Does anybody have an idea of what it means?????? I am using SATA HDDs, but I have the correct kext for my chipset (AppleIntelPIIXATA, for ICH6).....

WHY?!?!?!?!???????? ;)

Big Kahuna

Big Kahuna

InsanelyMac Sage

• Donators
  • 303 posts
Munky, thanks for putting up with me. LOL

Here's what we've discovered. When you're looking to load kexts, Make Certain that the OSBundleRequired in the Info.plist is showing as Root.

This was preventing Natit to load on my machine, after fixing that, I'm running like a champ!

Now onto Audio... lol

chagani

chagani

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Success!! Thank you Munky for all your efforts!

Currently I only have AppleHDA, HDAEnabler and NVKush kexts in the original Leopard Extensions folder. I know the AppleHDA kexts don't work however I would like to know if anyone got NVKush.kext to work from the EFI partition's Extensions folder. Specifically, what modifications did you make to the Info.plist file as I tried both "Root" and "Console" as values for the "OSBundleRequired" key but it does not load not even in the original Leopard Extensions folder. I have to remove it to work. Maybe the same problem as AppleHDA.

I'll give the Extensions.mkext method a try tomorrow.

Have a nice day/evening everyone! :)

Chagani

roidm

roidm

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Natit 0.2 works perfect for my 7600gt

samhannan

samhannan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
A quick question for you....

I just went and bought an apple USB keyboard, while this works once I am in leopard - it doesnt work when in the boot screen (where I choose to boot the OSX partition - The welcome to Darwinx86 bit)....how can I fix this? Do I need to install a kext for it into the EFI extensions folder? Is it as simple as just copying these extensions into the EFI extensions folder, or do I have to modify any of the other files in there to point to the new kexts?

Thanks in advance...

Cheers

Sam

Omakayd

Omakayd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

I just went and bought an apple USB keyboard, while this works once I am in leopard - it doesnt work when in the boot screen (where I choose to boot the OSX partition - The welcome to Darwinx86 bit)....how can I fix this? Do I need to install a kext for it into the EFI extensions folder? Is it as simple as just copying these extensions into the EFI extensions folder, or do I have to modify any of the other files in there to point to the new kexts?

Thanks in advance...

Cheers

Sam

this keyboard not working in bios has nothing to do with running os x on your pc... :)

MACinized

MACinized

Addicted to InsanelyMac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Thanks in advance...

Cheers

Sam

unless an apple usb keyboard do need a special driver, don't know why it won't work.

if u can't use the keyboard @ darwin boot prompt, u may try to unplug it then plug back in. might be worth a try. :)

samhannan

samhannan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Thanks guys....

I had a bit of a look around, and it seems this keyboard doesnt play nice with my XBX2 BIOS :) I have updated to the latest BIOS and still no joy....

It just means I need to keep a PS2 KB plugged in to hit enter to boot....PIA but it works for now...I just hope INTEL sort their {censored} out and get it working in the future - ASUS boards seem to have no problem and other are fine also...

Does ANYONE have this working, or is it like I think - that the MOBO doesnt support this KB in BIOS....

Sam

jokinawa

jokinawa

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
There shoud be a bios option to enable usb or maybe leagcy usb devices. I have had this trouble in the past and fixed it like that. Probably in the onboard devices section.

samhannan

samhannan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
I have usb and Legacy USB both enabled - still no joy....like I said - i have another USB keyboard that works just fine in BIOS, it just that little hussy Slimline Alu Apple one that I want to work that wont!

moes

moes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
just tried voodoo_alpha13

had to ad busratio....after that booted in "save mode"???? (dont know what that means)......all seems ok!!! usb is fixed....system profiler shows proper values (serial number again)

rd(0,1)/voodoo_alpha13 busratio=14 (this is my number) -v -f rd=diskXsY

Booted normal and all working!

Munky: if i use efi-boot (was planning that to do now).....will it still be possible to use boot123 cd......???????????
since i like to do some more testing with kernels and creating a new iso just takes 5 minutes

MACinized

MACinized

Addicted to InsanelyMac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Munky: if i use efi-boot (was planning that to do now).....will it still be possible to use boot123 cd......???????????

since i like to do some more testing with kernels and creating a new iso just takes 5 minutes

boot-132-disc loader [always] precedes/supercedes any other bootloader.

moes

moes

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

boot-132-disc loader [always] precedes/supercedes any other bootloader.

Thanks for the reply.... forgot that it was set in the bios :thumbsdown_anim: ....

BladeRunner

BladeRunner

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 688 posts
Munky: I remember you said the Chameleon team is working on improved boot loader that supports the efi-boot partiton and an automated/improved install process. I am not asking when it will be ready. I understand availability is "when it's ready".

My question is, will it support the use of efi device strings? I think they are very important. They are better than using an injector like Natit et.al., and they do things like make TimeMachine work on my system - without a modified kext.

Just curious.

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,900 posts
the plan is to integrate with chameleon, so yes, all chameleon features including EFI strings will be present.

Nick14

Nick14

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
So when is it expected to be ready ??

MACinized

MACinized

Addicted to InsanelyMac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Munky: I remember you said the Chameleon team is working on improved boot loader that supports the efi-boot partiton and an automated/improved install process. I am not asking when it will be ready. I understand availability is "when it's ready".

My question is, will it support the use of efi device strings? I think they are very important. They are better than using an injector like Natit et.al., and they do things like make TimeMachine work on my system - without a modified kext.

Just curious.

using chameleon & dfe's boot, roisoft came up w/ a way to (pre)load (a copy of) com.apple.Boot.plist w/c means u can add/use efi-strings w/out touching the original/vanilla one. :censored2:

tested to work in my machine too. :)

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,900 posts
When its ready.

So when is it expected to be ready ??

MACinized

MACinized

Addicted to InsanelyMac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

using chameleon & dfe's boot, roisoft came up w/ a way to (pre)load (a copy of) com.apple.Boot.plist w/c means u can add/use efi-strings w/out touching the original/vanilla one. :censored2:

tested to work in my machine too. :)

& this can be contained in a usb-flashdisk or a small partition of the hdd (& most probably even w/ the efi system partition). :D

now if only kalyway &/or other dedicated member of the community can pack it w/ a *fancy* gui. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy