[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

• Please log in to reply
1405 replies to this topic

apreichner

apreichner

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

I figured it out, I think I will make a detailed tutorial for noobs like me.

Let me know when you do.

I was wondering if this would also work with Retail on an MBR partition just as long as I created the 200mb EFI partition myself?

Pink Waters

Pink Waters

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
I've recently checked the released beta of the new chameleon bootloader, and I've read the install guide with it here is how it will be installed :

Suppose that your installation is on /dev/disk0s2

- Install boot0 to the MBR:
sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

- Install boot1h to the partition's bootsector:
sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

- Install boot to the partition's root directory:
sudo cp boot /

thats directly copied from the help file that comes with it.

well, It seems that its not like what munky claimed, because its not a bootloader that is installed on the hidden partition as munky's

So, I don't like that so far, and hope that munky does not abandon this project because of chameleon cause it seems so far that its entirely different from munky's

og-phantom

og-phantom

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

I've recently checked the released beta of the new chameleon bootloader, and I've read the install guide with it here is how it will be installed :

Suppose that your installation is on /dev/disk0s2

- Install boot0 to the MBR:
sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

- Install boot1h to the partition's bootsector:
sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

- Install boot to the partition's root directory:
sudo cp boot /

thats directly copied from the help file that comes with it.

well, It seems that its not like what munky claimed, because its not a bootloader that is installed on the hidden partition as munky's

So, I don't like that so far, and hope that munky does not abandon this project because of chameleon cause it seems so far that its entirely different from munky's

Even though it is not in the RC1 "install" notes, it is supposed to support EFI partition booting, aka Munky's boot method. I applied the instructions from post 1 with the chameleon Rc1 files, and will see if it boots after I finishing installing a copy of OSX on a spare drive. I will post back with results soon.

EDIT: I am able to get the bootloader to load, but it is hanging on booting the drive. (The bootloader GUI is sweet!!!). It doesn't look like it is loading the extensions from the EFI drive..... I will mess with it some more later tonight....

aschar1

aschar1

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
The new Chameleon GUI Bootloader is working for me with Munkys Boot from EFI Volume Install Method. DSDT.aml and com.apple.Boot.plist have to be in Extra Folder. Here is what I have done:

1. open Terminal
2. (Determine your install harddisk with)
diskutil list
3. sudo -s
(Enter password)
4. mkdir /Volumes/EFI
5. mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI
(Do not forget to change _X with your harddisk number from step 2)
6. mkdir /Volumes/EFI/Extra
6. (Download new Chameleon and put folder on your desktop)
7. (open the chameleon folder and cd to the subfolder i386 in Terminal- just type cd and Space and drag the i386 folder into Terminal)
8. sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdiskX
(do not forget to change X with your harddisk number from step 2)
9. sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXs1
(do not forget to change X with your harddisk number from step 2)
10. sudo cp boot /Volumes/EFI
11. (cd to the Extra Folder in your new Chameleon Folder (on your desktop) in Terminal)
12. cp smbios.plist /Volumes/EFI/Extra
13. cp -R Themes /Volumes/EFI/Extra
14. cd Volumes/EFI
15. cp DSDT.aml /Volumes/EFI/Extra
16. cp com.apple.Boot.plist /Volumes/EFI/Extra
17. cd Volumes/EFI/System/booter
18*. cp Extensions.mkext /Volumes/EFI/Extra
19. umount -f Volumes/EFI
20. rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

*Note before Step 18. If you have AppleSMBIOS or similar kext in your Extensions folder on your EFI Volume and you want to load smbios.plist - remove this kext form your Extensions folder and rebuild Extensions.mkext before copying this file to the Extra folder.
cd /Volumes/EFI/Extensions
rm-R AppleSMBIOS.kext
cd ..
sudo ./update.sh

Petroy

Petroy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
I am not able to boot using this EFI bootloader. The system starts the boot, but the GUI does not show up, as described in earlier posts.
I have placed the System.kext for my 9.5.0 voodoo kernel in the /Volumes/EFI/Extensions folder and run update.sh afterwards. But the system still does not boot correctly. I am sure that the 9.5.0 kernel is the right version for me because I am able to boot from the Boot-132 cd with exactly the same mach_kernel.voodoo and System.kext on the disk.
I use the following command at the boot prompt:
bt(0,0)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v -legacy boot-uuid=mybootUUID

mmgm

mmgm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey guys, I'm using this method and its working almost perfectly. I only have a little problem with wifi. I'm using a patched IO80211Family.kext (Broadcom chipset) and while booting without -f I get an error saying that the kext's immediate and other dependencies could not be resolved, it isn't loaded and I obviously get no wifi. Loading it manually post-boot runs with no errors, but does not enable wifi, and using -f works as expected (as I've said before) but I'd much rather avoid it.

Any ideas?

jjduro

jjduro

Almocinho grátis é que era

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

I am not able to boot using this EFI bootloader. The system starts the boot, but the GUI does not show up, as described in earlier posts.
I have placed the System.kext for my 9.5.0 voodoo kernel in the /Volumes/EFI/Extensions folder and run update.sh afterwards. But the system still does not boot correctly. I am sure that the 9.5.0 kernel is the right version for me because I am able to boot from the Boot-132 cd with exactly the same mach_kernel.voodoo and System.kext on the disk.
I use the following command at the boot prompt:
bt(0,0)/mach_kernel.voodoo -v -legacy boot-uuid=mybootUUID

try it without -legacy

Farx

Farx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
@aschar1
Thanks for your good instruction.
Maybe you'd better to change something in the file update.sh
Otherwise, you couldn't build a kextcache in /Volumes/EFI/Extra.

Pink Waters

Pink Waters

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
How we can use a patched kernel in the new chameleon, when upgrading from munky's ?

jjduro

jjduro

Almocinho grátis é que era

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

How we can use a patched kernel in the new chameleon, when upgrading from munky's ?

Probably, in the same way. put it into the Extra folder, and try.

Petroy

Petroy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

try it without -legacy

I did, but it still does not load the GUI.

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
well this bootloader has had a good innings, but the wonderful new chameleon release is nearly here (out in Release Candidate form), which renders this loader obsolete.

i strongly recommend anyone using this loader to check out Chameleon 2.0, its a thing of beauty :blink:

i'd also like to add my personal congratulations to the Chameleon team for bringing such an awesome bootloader to the community.

Petroy

Petroy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

well this bootloader has had a good innings, but the wonderful new chameleon release is nearly here (out in Release Candidate form), which renders this loader obsolete.

i strongly recommend anyone using this loader to check out Chameleon 2.0, its a thing of beauty :D

i'd also like to add my personal congratulations to the Chameleon team for bringing such an awesome bootloader to the community.

what do I have to consider when I change from your bootloader to chameleon? is the installation procedure similar?

chasbot

chasbot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
can somebody tell me the difference between /dev/disk0/ and /dev/rdisk0/ I read that it is the difference between "block device" and "character/raw device" and a block device double buffers "h/w+s/w" the file whereas the raw only hardware buffers.. but can someone try and come up with some kind of analogy as to what happens differently between writing the boot and booth files to /dev/disk0 and /dev/rdisk0

thanks

kizwan

kizwan

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
Hi munky,

Thank you very much for the guide. I'm using MACinized's Boot-132 usb to boot retail Mac OS X 10.5.6 DVD. I create two partition on external hard disk; Boot-132 usb restored to first partition & Mac OS X 10.5.6 DVD restored to second partition. Using that external hard disk to install retail leopard to internal hard disk (GUID) on my Acer Aspire 3680. After installation, I use v6.1 package to create EFI boot partition.

Thank you again for the guide & tools. I really appreciate it. :(

kizwan

zhell

zhell

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Edit:
Removed links to my script as that post got deleted by some moderator. Sorry about that. I'll post the script here, hope it will not be removed.

can somebody tell me the difference between /dev/disk0/ and /dev/rdisk0/ I read that it is the difference between "block device" and "character/raw device" and a block device double buffers "h/w+s/w" the file whereas the raw only hardware buffers.. but can someone try and come up with some kind of analogy as to what happens differently between writing the boot and booth files to /dev/disk0 and /dev/rdisk0

As you say, "rdisk" is the block device. It is never "locked", meaning that you can screw it up even while you have mounted it somewhere. with "disk" that would typically result in a warning "Permission denied".

Also, as you said correctly, "rdisk" only supports blockwise reading and writing.

For example, if you want to backup the MBR (first 446 bytes) with dd, it would be great to use the raw device, but this does not work: The block device can only read blocks of fixed size (usually 512 bytes with hard disks) at once. Hence, either you need to use the "disk" device or first use dd to get the first 512 bytes into a file and then use dd on the file again to extract the first 446 bytes from that file.

Now to restore the MBR but not overwrite the partition table (which comes after the MBR, separated by two NULL bytes and is 64 bytes long), you need to use the character device OR again take a two step approach as outlined above.

It's best to use fdisk to operate on the MBR I think.

what do I have to consider when I change from your bootloader to chameleon? is the installation procedure similar?

The main difference is that Munky's EFI boot loader reads kexts from /Extensions or /System/Booter/Extensions.mkext, plus other files from the root directory. In contrast, Chameleon expects everything to be in the /Extra directory.

The installation of the boot loader itself is exactly the same (fdisk the MBR, dd the partition boot sector, and copy the last stage file to the root directory).

The script "EFI-HFS-to-chameleon.sh" does all the work for you. And if you want to do it by hand, the script by default only shows you all the commands it would run.

If you would like to re-format back to FAT, Chameleon also supports booting directly from a FAT partition. I have not tried that yet, though. Maybe using the search facility, you can find reports from other users.

Petroy

Petroy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

As you say, "rdisk" is the block device. It is never "locked", meaning that you can screw it up even while you have mounted it somewhere. with "disk" that would typically result in a warning "Permission denied".

Also, as you said correctly, "rdisk" only supports blockwise reading and writing.

For example, if you want to backup the MBR (first 446 bytes) with dd, it would be great to use the raw device, but this does not work: The block device can only read blocks of fixed size (usually 512 bytes with hard disks) at once. Hence, either you need to use the "disk" device or first use dd to get the first 512 bytes into a file and then use dd on the file again to extract the first 446 bytes from that file.

Now to restore the MBR but not overwrite the partition table (which comes after the MBR, separated by two NULL bytes and is 64 bytes long), you need to use the character device OR again take a two step approach as outlined above.

It's best to use fdisk to operate on the MBR I think.

There's a script that does all the work for you and it also shows you all the commands it would run.

The main difference is that Munky's EFI boot loader reads kexts from /Extensions or /System/Booter/Extensions.mkext, plus other files from the root directory. In contrast, Chameleon expects everything to be in the /Extra directory.

The installation of the boot loader itself is exactly the same (fdisk the MBR, dd the partition boot sector, and copy the last stage file to the root directory).

If you would like to keep your EFI partition HFS+ formatted, you can simply use this script.

If you would like to re-format back to FAT, Chameleon also supports booting directly from a FAT partition. I have not tried that yet, though. Maybe using the search facility, you can find reports from other users.

Thank you. I have managed to install the chameleon bootloader very easily.

MacTheTiger

MacTheTiger

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I used the grub dfe bootloader posted on another forum published by Sling to install the retail 10.5.6 DVD, worked perfectly. To boot off the HD I installed Chameleon-2.0-r431.pkg. When I boot off the HD and select OSX which then launches Darwin, OSX begins to boot but seems to hang on SAM /Volumes/EFI read / write failed error x04 x3e x02. So I take it that I missed an additional step? I thought the Chameleon pkg was suppose to do all the manual stuff automcatically. Suggestions?

zhell

zhell

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

LATEST UPDATES:

- *** CHAMELEON 2 RC1 is out and looks pretty damned *amazing* - go check it out! It does everything this bootloader does and far more ***

Thanks so much for your efforts, Munky!
My post about a script to modify the EFI partition for Chameleon 2 got deleted, so I'm reposting the main info here.
I hope you don't mind.

Modify EFI HFS Boot Partition for Chameleon 2

Note: If you do not use Munky's EFI boot method, please use the official Chameleon 2 installer.

This script copies the files that are distributed over your HFS+ EFI boot partition to the "Extra" directory that is used by the recently released Chameleon 2.0-RC1.
After this, the script also installs this new boot loader.

No Modifications by Default
By default, the script only prints what would be done
This allow you to check if everything is set up correctly.
Once the script is set up for your configuration, the whole process is a matter of seconds.

Prerequisites

Your EFI boot partition needs to be set up according to Munky's EFI boot tutorial.
The script also supports non-vanilla kernels, simply because there is nothing the script can do to help. This is all configured in your "com.apple.Boot.plist" file; this file is copied to the "Extra" directory, where it is expected by Chameleon 2.

Ask yourself how you are going to fix your EFI boot partition if something goes wrong. Remember, this script and Chameleon 2.0-RC1 are not yet widely tested.

Usage
The script is a simple bash script that is run in the Terminal.
  • Download "Chameleon-2.0RC1-r431-bin.tar" and make sure it is in your "Downloads" folder in your home directory, i.e. /Users/<your user name>/Downloads.
  • Open Terminal and open a new window
  • Download the attached ".zip" file and extract the shell script. Ensure it is called "EFI-HFS-to-chameleon.sh"
  • Drag-and-drop the shell script into the Terminal window (do NOT press Return yet)
  • Type the so-called "Disk Identifier" of the disk you wish to modify, i.e. "disk0" or "disk1". The command line should look like this:
    /Users/admin/Downloads/EFI-HFS-to-chameleon.sh disk0
  • Take a deep breath and press Return
That's it. Well, at least the script will print what would be done and notify you of any issues it encounters. If there are issues, see the next section on how to adapt the script. It's really easy.

Preview Command Output
If you would like to see the shell commands the script would run, call the script as follows:
/Users/admin/Downloads/EFI-HFS-to-chameleon.sh disk0 2>/dev/null
This redirects the "STDERR" stream from the script to the digital nirvana and you only get to see the commands the script performs, which are output on the "STDOUT" stream.
Here's an example of what would be done on my system.
admin@blue ~$ /Users/admin/Downloads/EFI-HFS-to-chameleon.sh \disk0 2>/dev/null/usr/bin/sudo 'mkdir' '/Volumes/EFI/Extra'/usr/bin/sudo 'cp' '-pR' \    '/Volumes/EFI/Extensions' '/Volumes/EFI/Extra/'/usr/bin/sudo 'cp' '-pR' \    '/Volumes/EFI/System/Booter/Extensions.mkext' '/Volumes/EFI/Extra/'/usr/bin/sudo 'cp' '-pR' \    '/Volumes/EFI/com.apple.Boot.plist' '/Volumes/EFI/Extra/'/usr/bin/sudo 'cp' '-pR' \    '/Users/admin/Downloads/Chameleon-2.0RC1-r431-bin/Optional Extras/Themes' \    '/Volumes/EFI/Extra/'/usr/bin/sudo 'cp' '-pR' \    '/Users/admin/Downloads/Chameleon-2.0RC1-r431-bin/Optional Extras/smbios.plist' \    '/Volumes/EFI/Extra/'/usr/bin/sudo 'cp' '-p' \    '/Users/admin/Downloads/Chameleon-2.0RC1-r431-bin/i386/boot' '/Volumes/EFI'/usr/bin/sudo 'sync'/usr/bin/sudo 'fdisk' '-f' \    '/Users/admin/Downloads/Chameleon-2.0RC1-r431-bin/i386/boot0' \    '-u' '-y' '/dev/rdisk0'/usr/bin/sudo 'dd' \    'if=/Users/admin/Downloads/Chameleon-2.0RC1-r431-bin/i386/boot1h' \    'of=/dev/rdisk0s1'

Applying the Modifications
Once the script runs through without errors, you set the variable "MODIFY=1" to apply the modifications. This is accmplished by calling the script as outlined below:
MODIFY=1 /Users/admin/Downloads/EFI-HFS-to-chameleon.sh disk0
This will first set the variable and then call the script.

Here's an example of the script running on my system with full output.
admin@blue ~$ time MODIFY=1 \    /Users/admin/Downloads/EFI-HFS-to-chameleon.sh disk0Proceeding with disk identifier disk0Check partition type:  "EFI"Verify that all items we need are availableVerify Chameleon boot loader items (i386 directory)...    Check "/Users/admin/Downloads/Chameleon-2.0RC1-r431-bin/i386/boot0"...OK    Check "/Users/admin/Downloads/Chameleon-2.0RC1-r431-bin/i386/boot1h"...OK    Check "/Users/admin/Downloads/Chameleon-2.0RC1-r431-bin/i386/boot"...OKAll items are thereVerify rest of Chameleon items (Extra directory)...    Check "/Users/admin/Downloads/Chameleon-2.0RC1-r431-bin/Optional Extras/Themes"...OK    Check "/Users/admin/Downloads/Chameleon-2.0RC1-r431-bin/Optional Extras/smbios.plist"...OKAll items are thereMake sure EFI partition "/dev/disk0s1" is not mounted...Mount it at "/Volumes/EFI"Trying to mount "/dev/disk0s1" at "/Volumes/EFI"...OK.Check contents of EFI partitionVerify items from Munky's boot loader on EFI partition...    Check "/Volumes/EFI/Extensions"...OK    Check "/Volumes/EFI/System/Booter/Extensions.mkext"...OK    Check "/Volumes/EFI/com.apple.Boot.plist"...OKAll items are there*** Setting up Chameleon 2.0-RC1 on disk disk0 ***################## COMMITTING CHANGES #####################*** First, we create the "Extra" directory and re-arrange the stuff from Munky's method/usr/bin/sudo 'mkdir' '/Volumes/EFI/Extra'Copying "/Volumes/EFI/Extensions" to Extra directory/usr/bin/sudo 'cp' '-pR' '/Volumes/EFI/Extensions' '/Volumes/EFI/Extra/'Copying "/Volumes/EFI/System/Booter/Extensions.mkext" to Extra directory/usr/bin/sudo 'cp' '-pR' '/Volumes/EFI/System/Booter/Extensions.mkext' '/Volumes/EFI/Extra/'Copying "/Volumes/EFI/com.apple.Boot.plist" to Extra directory/usr/bin/sudo 'cp' '-pR' '/Volumes/EFI/com.apple.Boot.plist' '/Volumes/EFI/Extra/'*** First step done*** Second, we copy the remaining items from Chameleon to EFI partition...Copying "/Users/admin/Downloads/Chameleon-2.0RC1-r431-bin/Optional Extras/Themes" \    to Extra directory/usr/bin/sudo 'cp' '-pR' \    '/Users/admin/Downloads/Chameleon-2.0RC1-r431-bin/Optional Extras/Themes' \    '/Volumes/EFI/Extra/'Copying "/Users/admin/Downloads/Chameleon-2.0RC1-r431-bin/Optional Extras/smbios.plist" \    to Extra directory/usr/bin/sudo 'cp' '-pR' \    '/Users/admin/Downloads/Chameleon-2.0RC1-r431-bin/Optional Extras/smbios.plist' \    '/Volumes/EFI/Extra/'*** Second step done*** Third, install the last stage boot loader(the file called "boot" at the root of the disk)/usr/bin/sudo 'cp' '-p' \    '/Users/admin/Downloads/Chameleon-2.0RC1-r431-bin/i386/boot' '/Volumes/EFI'/usr/bin/sudo 'sync'*** Third step done*** Finally, we un-mount the EFI partitionand we install the MBR to "/dev/rdisk0"and the partition boot record to "/dev/rdisk0s1Trying to un-mount "/dev/disk0s1"...OK./usr/bin/sudo 'fdisk' \    '-f' '/Users/admin/Downloads/Chameleon-2.0RC1-r431-bin/i386/boot0' \    '-u' '-y' '/dev/rdisk0'/usr/bin/sudo 'dd' \    'if=/Users/admin/Downloads/Chameleon-2.0RC1-r431-bin/i386/boot1h' \    'of=/dev/rdisk0s1'All finished successfully. Have fun with your new bootloader!real    0m1.258suser    0m0.207ssys     0m0.277s
As you can see, on my system it takes less than 2 seconds from Munky's EFI boot to Chameleon 2.0-RC1.

Adapting the Script
Depending on your set up, you may need to edit the script a little bit.
In particular, you may need to edit the following part:

# Path to your Downloads folder
DOWNLOADS="$HOME/Downloads"

# Path to Chameleon-2.0RC1-r{$BUILD}-bin directory
CHAMDIR="$DOWNLOADS/Chameleon-2.0RC1-r${BUILD}-bin"

# Path to "Extra" directory in Chameleon-2.0RC1-r${BUILD}-bin directory
# Note: This path has changed in the past, so please check if it 
# is still valid for your version of Chameleon 2
CHAM_EXTRA="$CHAMDIR/Optional Extras"

# Items from the Chameleon-2.0RC1-r${BUILD}-bin "Extra" directory
# As this may change, please check if the list is still valid for your version
# of Chameleon 2 and if you really need or want all these items
# Note: If any item does not exist, the script aborts
CHAM_EXTRA_ITEMS=('Themes')
CHAM_EXTRA_ITEMS+=('smbios.plist')

# Path to "Extra" directory in Chameleon-2.0RC1-r${BUILD}-bin directory
# Note: This path has changed in the past, so please check if it 
# is still valid for your version of Chameleon 2
CHAM_BOOT="$CHAMDIR/i386"
CHAM_BOOT_ITEMS=('boot0' 'boot1h' 'boot')

# Items from Munky's EFI booter in the EFI partition root directory
# Note: Please check which of these items you need. They will be
# copied to the Chameleon-2 Extra directory
# Note: If any item does not exist, the script aborts
MUNKY_ROOT_ITEMS=('Extensions' 'System/Booter/Extensions.mkext')
# Uncomment to add com.apple.Boot.plist
MUNKY_ROOT_ITEMS+=('com.apple.Boot.plist')
# Uncomment to add DSDT.aml
#MUNKY_ROOT_ITEMS+=('DSDT.aml')

Newer Builds of Chameleon 2-RC1
First, check if the layout of the Chameleon distribution archive ("Chameleon-2.0RC1-r<build>-bin.tar") is still the same, or adapt the script accordingly. The layout of this archive has changed in the past, and it may change again.
For a newer build version, at the very least you need to change the BUILD variable at the top of the script.

The latest version of the script is provided as a ".zip" file below.

Download
Attached File  EFI_HFS_to_chameleon.sh.zip   3.75KB   184 downloads
New releases will be added here.

Questions and Feedback
Thanks a lot for your questions and problem reports. Please do NOT ask Munky or the Chameleon team questions relating to this script. Instead, please add a post below or PM me.

If your system boots, then the script has probably worked. Questions about Chameleon 2.0-RC1 are best posted to this post about Chameleon 2.0-RC1, which is also read by all other users who may be more competent to help than me.

th3joker

th3joker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
Will the script also take into account that munkys instructions in this thread may require the mach_kernel.voodoo in the EFI directory, how will this script work with that.

I have seen a couple of people post that when they copy mach_kernel.voodoo into Extras it won't boot and nobody has posted a definitive answer on where exactly it must be put for the chameleon boot to work using the voodoo kernel.

The voodoo option is in phase 4 of munky's instructions:

4) if necessary, copy patched kernel into /Volumes/EFI/ (eg:

cd <directory containing the wonderful Voodoo kernel)
cp mach_kernel.voodoo /Volumes/EFI/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy