[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

munky

1,404 posts in this topic

A quick question for you....

I just went and bought an apple USB keyboard, while this works once I am in leopard - it doesnt work when in the boot screen (where I choose to boot the OSX partition - The welcome to Darwinx86 bit)....how can I fix this? Do I need to install a kext for it into the EFI extensions folder? Is it as simple as just copying these extensions into the EFI extensions folder, or do I have to modify any of the other files in there to point to the new kexts?

Thanks in advance...

Cheers

Sam

I just went and bought an apple USB keyboard, while this works once I am in leopard - it doesnt work when in the boot screen (where I choose to boot the OSX partition - The welcome to Darwinx86 bit)....how can I fix this? Do I need to install a kext for it into the EFI extensions folder? Is it as simple as just copying these extensions into the EFI extensions folder, or do I have to modify any of the other files in there to point to the new kexts?

Thanks in advance...

Cheers

Sam

this keyboard not working in bios has nothing to do with running os x on your pc... :)

Thanks in advance...

Cheers

Sam

unless an apple usb keyboard do need a special driver, don't know why it won't work.

if u can't use the keyboard @ darwin boot prompt, u may try to unplug it then plug back in. might be worth a try. :)

Thanks guys....

I had a bit of a look around, and it seems this keyboard doesnt play nice with my XBX2 BIOS :) I have updated to the latest BIOS and still no joy....

It just means I need to keep a PS2 KB plugged in to hit enter to boot....PIA but it works for now...I just hope INTEL sort their Sh*t out and get it working in the future - ASUS boards seem to have no problem and other are fine also...

Does ANYONE have this working, or is it like I think - that the MOBO doesnt support this KB in BIOS....

Sam

just tried voodoo_alpha13

had to ad busratio....after that booted in "save mode"???? (dont know what that means)......all seems ok!!! usb is fixed....system profiler shows proper values (serial number again)

rd(0,1)/voodoo_alpha13 busratio=14 (this is my number) -v -f rd=diskXsY

Booted normal and all working!

Munky: if i use efi-boot (was planning that to do now).....will it still be possible to use boot123 cd......???????????

since i like to do some more testing with kernels and creating a new iso just takes 5 minutes

Munky: if i use efi-boot (was planning that to do now).....will it still be possible to use boot123 cd......???????????

since i like to do some more testing with kernels and creating a new iso just takes 5 minutes

boot-132-disc loader [always] precedes/supercedes any other bootloader.

Munky: I remember you said the Chameleon team is working on improved boot loader that supports the efi-boot partiton and an automated/improved install process. I am not asking when it will be ready. I understand availability is "when it's ready".

My question is, will it support the use of efi device strings? I think they are very important. They are better than using an injector like Natit et.al., and they do things like make TimeMachine work on my system - without a modified kext.

Just curious.

Munky: I remember you said the Chameleon team is working on improved boot loader that supports the efi-boot partiton and an automated/improved install process. I am not asking when it will be ready. I understand availability is "when it's ready".

My question is, will it support the use of efi device strings? I think they are very important. They are better than using an injector like Natit et.al., and they do things like make TimeMachine work on my system - without a modified kext.

Just curious.

using chameleon & dfe's boot, roisoft came up w/ a way to (pre)load (a copy of) com.apple.Boot.plist w/c means u can add/use efi-strings w/out touching the original/vanilla one. :censored2:

tested to work in my machine too. :)

using chameleon & dfe's boot, roisoft came up w/ a way to (pre)load (a copy of) com.apple.Boot.plist w/c means u can add/use efi-strings w/out touching the original/vanilla one. :censored2:

tested to work in my machine too. :)

& this can be contained in a usb-flashdisk or a small partition of the hdd (& most probably even w/ the efi system partition). :D

now if only kalyway &/or other dedicated member of the community can pack it w/ a *fancy* gui. :)

& this can be contained in a usb-flashdisk or a small partition of the hdd (& most probably even w/ the efi system partition). :)

now if only kalyway &/or other dedicated member of the community can pack it w/ a *fancy* gui. :)

MAC:

In which thread is this described? I have not located it.

MACinized: the chameleon team are integrating this functionality into the next release of chameleon.

a *cool* gui for boot-132-chameleon loader w/ efi-strings? that would be really cool!  :P

BladeRunner: check this.

a better method of dual-booting retail leopard w/ winxp for me. :P

Hey guys, did you notice Time Machine doesn't work?

Does it work with you guys or it's just me loading the wrong kexts??? :(

OK, I'm replying to myself, as I usually do :P

I have solved the problem of Time Machine by putting IONetworkingFamily.kext in the list of my EFI kexts.

I have also solved the problem of dual booting with XP on another partition of the same HD.

it's a bit tricky, but it works well, and that's what matters. (I guess that most of you already know what I am talking about, but I am writing it for those who don't). It is just a question of making active the partition where XP is, so:

To switch from MAC to Windows

diskutil info / | grep Identifier

(to understand in which disk we are - we'll get diskXsY)

fdisk -e /dev/rdiskX

(diskXsZ is the partition where Windows is installed - you can see it from Disk Utility, from the info button)

f Z

w

(reply "y" to the question)

q

THAT'S IT

To switch from Windows to MAC

press Start/Run

diskutil

list disk

(you'll see a list of HDDs, - disk0, disk1, disk2... - just see what number is the one where you have MAC and Windows installed. I'll call this number X)

select disk X

list partition

select partition 1

active

exit

THAT'S IT.

These methods are very useful for the ones like me who use Windows only from time to time, when they want to run software that needs all the power your PC can give (more than Parallels or VMWare can afford :wacko: ).

What I am trying to solve now is the problem of USB devices etc. I guess it is related to System.kext, but I am not being able to find the kexts related to modbin and voodoo kernels. Does anybody know where or how to find them???? Thank you.

Fantastic guide, I updated all the way from 10.5.0 to 10.5.5 flawlessly!

There's one problem though, I can't seem to boot off the EFI partition itself, I still need to use the boot 132 disk.

When it tries to boot, it seems to almost completely, and then the spinning cog freezes and goes no further. -v reveals nothing either :)

I've made sure the extensions in my EFI partition are the same as the ones on the disk and double checked permissions. Is there something obvious I've missed?

TheKing has posted a guide to patching AppleHDA for use in boot-132 environments. For some reason it only works if u turn ur extra kexts into a kextcache. Check it out.

Re multi booting, yes this is a known issue and is on the list to fix. My only OS is Leopard ;-)

Early days for this approach. One piece of good news - I invited Antst (the dev behind the other EFI boot implementation to come along to meet the Chameleon and Voodoo guys (who developed the bootloader I released here) and were combining our efforts under the Chameleon banner, led by Antst.

Yay collaboration!

Congrats! :D

Here's my first message on these forums, and if it's a sign of things to come, this is a beautiful place :D

I had never attempted to install any OSx86 project, I always had a MacBookPro, so I didn't really need to. I left my job and had to give the MacBookPro back to them, so I've been waiting for the new ones to come out and got tired of waiting. In any case, decided to try Munky's guide on the first page and whaddya know, I installed, updated, and am typing this message from 10.5.5! Granted, I have some decent *nix and Darwin experience, but didn't really need it. But I never knew anything about kexts, etc. Just read through these forums last night.

So, just wanted to say thanks to all that made it possible. Great efforts all around!

Just need to figure out which kexts are overkill and I can remove from the EFI partition and then get my sound working. I used the generic.iso from here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=113288

I'm running:

Mobo: Gigabyte ga-33m-ds2r

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 (reports 2.67GHz)

Ram: 2GB 800Mhz

HD: Samsung SATA 120GB

Video: XFX 8800 GTS (1680x1050 w/o even trying on first boot)

Realtek 8111/8169 Onboard Lan: Needed to enable Lan Boot Rom in BIOS to wake up the hardware, otherwise it couldn't see ethernet cable. All good now.

ALC889A Onboard Audio: Still not working, I think it's just a matter of finding the right kext and removing others that were default installed and are maybe conflicting.

Got the audio working. In BIOS, Azalia codec is set to Auto. And I used the 2 kexts in this zip and installed them into /System/Library/Extensions as opposed to the EFI extensions folder as I couldn't get them to work in there. ALC889A kexts: http://rapidshare.com/files/51585161/alc889a.zip.html

Still having trouble shutting down and restarting, ideas?

Got shutdown working

In BIOS, under power management, set HPET to 64bit and set shutdown delay to Instant.

-k00k

post-294038-1222519539_thumb.png

k00k: congrats and welcome :(

paranoid marvin: whats the last thing printed by -v ? did you have any previous version of chameleon installed? you need to remove any previous installed chameleon on any other partition. only easy way i know to do that is to repartition your disk.

Hi Munky,

Firstly thank you so much, your guide is great :D

Then I'm trying to make an EFI partition at the state of art, I'm trying to install there every kext the system could need. So, after installed the most of kexts and everything worked fine, I'm going to install video and audio kexts. I installed them, as usually, into the /System/Library/Extensions directory and they worked, then I moved them into the EFI partition but the System, when boot, ignore them at all.

So i listed -la /Volumes/EFI/System/Booter/Extentions and I noticed that the kext not working, haven't the @ symbol after the attributes list. Since It isn't possible to set the property as usually typing diskutil repairpermissions, I searched on the web what the @ would mean, and even if I founded that @ means "extended properties", nobody explains how to set them.

drwxr-xr-x  26 root  admin  884 27 Set 22:50 .
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  admin  102 26 Set 08:53 ..
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  admin  102 26 Set 09:15 ACPIPS2Nub.kext
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  admin  102 27 Set 22:50 ALCinject.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  admin  102 26 Set 09:15 AppleAC97Audio.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  admin  102 26 Set 10:21 AppleAHCIPort.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  admin  102 26 Set 09:15 AppleAPIC.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  admin  102 26 Set 09:15 AppleAzaliaAudio.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  admin  102 26 Set 09:15 AppleGenericPCATA.kext
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  admin  102 27 Set 22:50 AppleHDA.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  5 root  admin  170 26 Set 09:15 AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  admin  102 26 Set 09:15 ApplePS2Controller.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  admin  102 26 Set 09:15 AppleSMBIOS.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  admin  102 26 Set 10:15 AppleUSBAudio.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  admin  102 26 Set 10:15 AppleUSBMultitouch.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  admin  102 26 Set 10:15 AppleUSBTopCase.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  admin  102 26 Set 09:15 AppleVIAATA.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  admin  102 27 Set 22:04 HDAEnabler.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  admin  102 26 Set 10:16 IOAHCIFamily.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  admin  102 26 Set 10:15 IOATAFamily.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  admin  102 26 Set 10:15 IOUSBFamily.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  admin  102 26 Set 09:15 IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext
drwxr-xr-x   4 root  admin  136 27 Set 22:27 NVKush.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  admin  102 26 Set 10:04 OpenHaltRestart.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  admin  102 26 Set 09:15 SMBIOSEnabler.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  admin  102 26 Set 09:15 dsmos.kext

In your opinion, is this the reason they didn't work? How can I set the @ property in order to fix them?

Thank you :P