[Guide] Boot from EFI partition, zero modification installs on Intel SSE2 or better...

• Please log in to reply
1405 replies to this topic

lunasol

lunasol

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Sorry for not reading the entire post, but is it possible to install an existing release of chameleon onto the EFI partition? just wanting to see if i can get it to see my vista partiton which at the moment this does not.

EDIT: Also what does boot-turbo-munky.bin do or what does it have in it? could i make my own one of these that uses parts from chameleon?

fxtentacle

fxtentacle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
:wacko: RAID MOD !!
thanks munky for this great loader. i modified it to be able to boot from soft RAID. setting up the efi partition works precisely as you described but there is one gotcha:
you need a "boot-uuid" or "Root UUID" entry in your plist on the EFI partition. that is needed because the disks in raid sometimes change their /dev/diskX names ...
it works by booting from the "Boot OSX" partition that mac os x appends to every raid slice.
tested on vanilla 10.5.6 leopard with nvidia+alc882+yukon2 EFI strings :(
attached you my modified source and modified boot binary.
cheers and thank you again for this boot method.

EDIT: i noticed i {censored}ed up when uploading the source. so here is the source and a patch to apply to munky's original v61 source

Attached Files

newbmac

newbmac

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Wow, next ver of Chameleon implemented this

http://chameleon .osx86 . hu/articles/more-new-features-added-to-next-chameleon-version-part-2

EFI system partition booting support.

This is the method what Munky and Turbo introduced first. You can put your boot loader along with all /Extra stuff to this partition then can safely boot your untouched vanilla install. We have a new experimental FAT32 filesystem support with long file names.

og-phantom

og-phantom

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Sorry for not reading the entire post, but is it possible to install an existing release of chameleon onto the EFI partition? just wanting to see if i can get it to see my vista partiton which at the moment this does not.

EDIT: Also what does boot-turbo-munky.bin do or what does it have in it? could i make my own one of these that uses parts from chameleon?

This is for new installs. If you have a empty or spare HD, you can do a retail install onto it. Or just erase your current install and do a retail install. Follow Munky's instructions in post 1 of this thread.

EDIT: If you know C/Obj C, download the source code and go from there (source code is linked in Post 1 of this thread)

hagbard101

hagbard101

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I didnt found it in the thread yet, do this support a raid setup yet?

I tried copying everything, include the kext and my com.apple.boot.plist on both EFI patitions, like i installed the old bootloader for raid. Basically I did the whole process above two times, one time for each HD of the raid. Unfortunately i only get the 'com.apple.boot.plist not found' error and land at the startprompt (where you enter the 80, 81 etc for your HD) but of course the raid 'device' is not listed. I have the right boot-uuid in the boot.plist, so it should find the startdisk, right?

Anyway, HUGE thanks for this to all involved. This is really awesome and i got a clean Vanilla Install on a second single HD. Keep it comming, one day you will only see from the case that we dont have real Apple Hardware. :-)

My System:

Gigabyte EP35-DS3R
Core2Quad Q9950 (3,2GHz)
4GB Ram
GeForce 8800 GTS 320

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,901 posts
Good Work!

:) RAID MOD !!
thanks munky for this great loader. i modified it to be able to boot from soft RAID. setting up the efi partition works precisely as you described but there is one gotcha:
you need a "boot-uuid" or "Root UUID" entry in your plist on the EFI partition. that is needed because the disks in raid sometimes change their /dev/diskX names ...
it works by booting from the "Boot OSX" partition that mac os x appends to every raid slice.
tested on vanilla 10.5.6 leopard with nvidia+alc882+yukon2 EFI strings :)

EDIT: i noticed i {censored}ed up when uploading the source. so here is the source and a patch to apply to munky's original v61 source

BlackCorsair

BlackCorsair

Insanely Metal Rocker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

;) RAID MOD !!
tested on vanilla 10.5.6 leopard with nvidia+alc882+yukon2 EFI strings :D

Hi fxtentacle, good work!
I will start to test your modded munky file, but I need light on some point:
1) I have to put efi_raid.bin on BOOT partition
AND
2) efi_boot_6.1 onto EFI partition
AND
3) edit boot.plist AND put it onto both BOOT partition and EFI partition?

Explaine better your method, please mate, point-point if possible, your work is very interesting for us!!!

hagbard101

hagbard101

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ah, thanks for pointing that out. Somehow the search didnt bring up anything for 'raid'.
I will tinker with the files and report back if it work for me. Guess my approach was right, i just needed the modified files. Thanks fxtentacle and munky!

undo_undo

undo_undo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
Munky, Thank you... I just installed Leopard OSX 10.5 Retail DVD into my GA-EP45-DS3L and it BOOTS!

However, when I added kexts in /Extensions folder, I was getting appleacpiplatform errors, hence I removed them all completely and it boots fine. I guess, I'll plug required kext one by one into Extensions folder to filter out problematic ones.

BlackCorsair

BlackCorsair

Insanely Metal Rocker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
@hagboard

ahyea! Let me know your progress
I'll try some test this weekend. I will report my issues or success!!!
Let's go work, mates, Raid0 make the difference!

hagbard101

hagbard101

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It worked! Thanks again for the help. Here what i did:

First i made sure the disks of the raid were totaly clean. For that i deleted the raid and formated both disks to MS-DOS patition and than back to Apple GUID (I had trouble with just reformating the raid). Than i created a fresh raid0 from this disks.

After that i restored my old Install back to the raid, though a new install would work too of course. After the recover i booted into my other Leo (non raid) and installed the normal cameleon bootloader to the new raiddisk.

Than i did the steps from the first post on both raid disks, but with the bootfile from fxtentacle. Im not sure if it is necessery to install it on both, but since the space is not used anyway it cant hurt. :)

I rebooted into the raid and voila - OSX loaded. Already did the update to 10.5.6 and it work too.

I just have two smaller issues: On boot, i no longer have the apple logo. I get the spinning wheel in the lower part but the apple is missing. Second, after the update, my Harddisks show as external disks and the AHCI is no longer recocnised properly in systemprofiler. It load the kext from the harddisk since its never it seem. Delete it from HD help, but is not really elegant. :) Any ideas on this?

Thanks and greetings,
Hagbard

BlackCorsair

BlackCorsair

Insanely Metal Rocker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

and installed the normal cameleon bootloader to the new raiddisk...

Is there a PCEFI v9?

Than i did the steps from the first post on both raid disks, but with the bootfile from fxtentacle

fxtentacle attach two files: efi_boot_raid.bin AND a zip efi_boot v6.1 wich have boot-turbo-munky.bin in it. Wich of these must be used?

...i no longer have the apple logo

munky deleted the apple logo to save space. V5.1 have it and you can switch to this, in regular install, of course, not raid, I'm afraid.

... my Harddisks show as external disks and the AHCI is no longer recocnised properly in systemprofiler

Try to put a flag -f to apple.com.boot.plist OR put IOAHCIBlockstorage.kext and AppleACHCIPort.kext in /Extra/Extension. You may also try some Legacy kext as per cyclonefr topic or take it from topic in my signature.

I will try some test soon as possible so let me know your "how to", please

Thank you!

aviso

aviso

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
First of all thanks very much to Munky for this nice mod.
For quite a few of us who has only one hard-drive available in the system and wants to dual boot OSX and Win32, there has been a problem that the bootloader wont detect NTFS partitions. With the public release of EasyBCD 2.0 beta, the problem has been solved.
1) Boot into Windows and install EasyBCD from here. Add a Mac entry, with EFI bootloader option
2) Put a copy of boot-turbo-munky.bin in the C:\NST directory, rename it to nst_mac.efi; or you can edit the lst file so it looks for boot-turbo-munky.bin; whichever way doesnt matter as long as you specify and provide the munky boot file.
3)At this point you should have the Win32 partition active, otherwise make it so.
Restart and enjoy your dual booting system

My Config:
X61T laptop
160G GPT
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *149.1 Gi disk0
1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk0s1
2: Microsoft Basic Data WIN7 30.0 Gi disk0s2
3: Apple_HFS Depot 68.4 Gi disk0s3
4: Apple_HFS OSX 50.2 Gi disk0s4

BlackCorsair

BlackCorsair

Insanely Metal Rocker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts

:) RAID MOD !!
tested on vanilla 10.5.6 leopard with nvidia+alc882+yukon2 EFI strings :)

Huge thanks fxtentacle!!! Works fine!!!!
Thnks to hagbard for his inputs, too!!

This is what I've done:
same procedure, as per munky guide, for every slice disk: bootloader efi-boot-raid.bin by fxtentacle instead of boot-turbo-munky.bin;
Only if you must use com.apple.Boot.plist in EFI partition, you have to add raid uuid in kernel flags (boot-uuid=hexnumber).

I usually put my kext in /V/Ext and it works flawlessy!!!!

I only have same issues of hagbard:
kernel flag -f and EFI string are not charged at boot... I'working to this issue and I will appreciate every enlightment!!!

Great work, mates!!! Thanks to all of you!

fxtentacle

fxtentacle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
@blackcorsair:
yeah that is precisely the procedure. thanks for describing it in normal words :)

i modified it a little bit further, this version does NOT have DSDT but has chameleons SMBIOS patching instead.

here's my boot plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
<key>boot-uuid</key>
<string>0677E342-B20B-31E0-8EAD-25C9648CF71B</string>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MP31.88Z.00C1.B00.080209154</string>
<key>SMmanufacter</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>
<key>SMexternalclock</key>
<string>375</string>
<key>SMmaximalclock</key>
<string>3150</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>W3465MMN0P2</string>

<key>SMmemtype</key>
<string>19</string>
<key>SMmemspeed</key>
<string>800</string>
<key>SMmemmanufacter</key>
<string>Mushkin</string>
<key>SMmemserial</key>
<string>Unknown</string>
<key>SMmempart</key>
<string>Unknown</string>

<key>SMmembankloc_1</key>
<string>BANK 0</string>
<key>SMmembankloc_2</key>
<string>BANK 1</string>
<key>SMmembankloc_3</key>
<string>BANK 2</string>
<key>SMmembankloc_4</key>
<string>BANK 3</string>

</dict>
</plist>

gives me a Mac Pro in systemprofiler :) and i dont need a smbios enabler or applesmbios anymore :)
btw with my yukon2 as an efi string, timemachine works fine.

@hagbard
if you put a boot plist on your EFI partition, it will use that instead of the one on the Boot OsX partition and instead of the one in /System

there is a LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext which is basically just an Info.plist packaged as kext. that one makes your drives report as internal AHCI

as for the apple logo: they removed it to make room for the efi emulation. to keep the booter below 64K

Attached Files

• Attached File  boot.zip   38.96KB   33 downloads

BlackCorsair

BlackCorsair

Insanely Metal Rocker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
Thank you mate. I go to try this new one...
But is right only "boot" your new file? Not "boot.bin"? I have to add .bin?

B.C.

ps. Have you an EFI string for my Marvell 88E8056? I can modify the plist easily, but... EFI string is more vanilla!

marcadam35

marcadam35

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

First of all thanks very much to Munky for this nice mod.
For quite a few of us who has only one hard-drive available in the system and wants to dual boot OSX and Win32, there has been a problem that the bootloader wont detect NTFS partitions. With the public release of EasyBCD 2.0 beta, the problem has been solved.
1) Boot into Windows and install EasyBCD from here. Add a Mac entry, with EFI bootloader option
2) Put a copy of boot-turbo-munky.bin in the C:\NST directory, rename it to nst_mac.efi; or you can edit the lst file so it looks for boot-turbo-munky.bin; whichever way doesnt matter as long as you specify and provide the munky boot file.
3)At this point you should have the Win32 partition active, otherwise make it so.
Restart and enjoy your dual booting system

My Config:
X61T laptop
160G GPT
/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *149.1 Gi disk0
1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk0s1
2: Microsoft Basic Data WIN7 30.0 Gi disk0s2
3: Apple_HFS Depot 68.4 Gi disk0s3
4: Apple_HFS OSX 50.2 Gi disk0s4

Sounds very nice but will this also work if I have 2 harddisks? One is my XP drive and my 2nd hdrive holds the EFI plus MACOSX. Or..do I need to change somethings?

aviso

aviso

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Sounds very nice but will this also work if I have 2 harddisks? One is my XP drive and my 2nd hdrive holds the EFI plus MACOSX. Or..do I need to change somethings?

In your case, its easier as you have many options:
1) If supported by BIOS, hit F12 to load different HDs
2) Boot from 2nd HD, hit ESC at darwin booter prompt, enter 80 (try 81 as well not sure), select XP partition
3) Boot from 1st HD, from EasyBCD menu choose MacOS. (Be sure to use the right disk# when add this MacOS entry.)

fxtentacle

fxtentacle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
if you use my raid mod, you have 3 com.apple.Boot.plist locations:
-EFI
-Leopard disk
-BOOT OSX

use the one in efi
and add a boot-uuid entry with the same value as the long Root UUID on your Boot OsX plist

the thing is, if there is a com.apple.Boot.plist present on the EFI partition, then all the other plists are ignored. and honestly, you dont want to modify the plist on the boot osx partition. it will get overwritten randomly because it is supposed to be only a copy of the "real" plist on your system partition. the plist on your system partition however is not readable by the bootloader since the bootloader does not know about your raid. so if you want to use efi strings and smbios patching, you need to use the plist on the efi partition. make sure to set the boot-uuid thingy or rd=... otherwise your booter might hand while trying to guess which drive to boot from.

jjduro

jjduro

Almocinho grátis é que era

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
Thanks. I'm using it with Vista x64 and OSX 10.5.6 Retail

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy