Custom whitelist for HP DV series BIOS

LRZRAGE

74 posts in this topic

I have been doing some research on HP DV Series BIOS that do not have the CRC code (F9EB01F8) right before or after the whitelist. Without that code, you can not stop the check of the accepted wifi cards. But what I would like to do is start an effort to custom tailor your BIOS of your system, with the Ven ID, Dev ID, Subsys ID of the card you would like to put into your system. I've found that it is very easy to brick laptops when trying to stop the whitelist all together. So with that said, if you have a HP DV Series BIOS that hasn't been patched (All of them except F.58A and F.29 :( ) then please post the following information:

1. Your exact DV Series number

2. Your most current BIOS revision

3. Your Model of your stock wireless card and the model of the new card you want to put in

4. Your VEN, DEVICE, SUBSYS ID, of your original and new wifi card

With that information, I can open up the BIOS and usually find the whitelist. At that point I should be able to add in the ven,dev,subsys ID of your new wifi card you want to use.

Note: I suggest that you be familiar with Phoenix Crisis Recovery disc. This is vital because you will be able to recover from a bad flash. Unfortunately HP likes to disable that option through their BIOS on some systems but it can be activated using Phoenix Bios Edit. Once you open up the .WPH file, the windows that automatically open up, there should be one named "BIOS Configuration Parameters". Next there is a drop down list and you need to choose "Multiboot III". On that screen you will see "Boot Fail Recovery". Go ahead and double click in the box under Value next to Boot Fail Recovery. Then go to File and choose Build Bios... should OK and then save.

I would like to get somebody that has done a Crisis Recovery and still needs their BIOS tailored to their wifi card they want to use that is unsupported. Since this is all testing, I can not guarantee it will be successful. I have been researching adding in vens,ids,subsys and its seems to be more realistic than trying to stop the whitelist all together. So if you want me to add in a wifi card for you, you are flashing at your own risk. I have patched 2 HP BIOS, and familiar with HEX editing and HP's BIOS. I would like to start adding in wifi cards to HP DV Series BIOS to start a compiled thread for easy download. I will try to help in any way I can to get your system up and going again in the case the flash is bad.

hello thanks for you message

here i attached my wph file with text for my card id for

hp dv5000 dv5264ea

intel cpu

the whitelist is in rom 1

atheros ar5006eg

ATHEROS please put this one in PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001C&SUBSYS_7106144F&REV_01\4&38B5BDF7&0&00E2

card id for working hp broadcom PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4311&SUBSYS_1364103C&REV_01\4&38B5BDF7&0&00E2

i tried to edit on my own but brick the laptop.

this time ill send your edit bios to a programmer to flash to a new chip

Bios.wph.zip

card_id_.rtf

F.24A Bios with support for the Atheros AR5006eg (Ven=168C - Dev=001C - SUBSYS=7106144F)

Please post back here when you flash to confirm it works.

F.24A's whitelist is in BIOSCOD1.ROM, please use caution when flashing as changing anything in COD1 can easily result in a brick. Please perform a crisis recovery and verify it works before flashing.

hello thanks for you message

here i attached my wph file with text for my card id for

hp dv5000 dv5264ea

intel cpu

the whitelist is in rom 1

atheros ar5006eg

ATHEROS please put this one in PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_001C&SUBSYS_7106144F&REV_01\4&38B5BDF7&0&00E2

card id for working hp broadcom PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4311&SUBSYS_1364103C&REV_01\4&38B5BDF7&0&00E2

i tried to edit on my own but brick the laptop.

this time ill send your edit bios to a programmer to flash to a new chip

hello,

Could you please tell me if this will work for the dv7? model number is dv7-1020us. BIOS Revision is F.0A Here's a link to the bios from HP. The current card that is in this is an Intel WIFI Link 5100agn. the hardware IDs are:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4237&SUBSYS_12118086&REV_00

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4237&SUBSYS_12118086

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4237&CC_028000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4237&CC_0280

thanks!

Hello. I was wondering if you could help me out with a custom BIOS ? I have an HP DV9727US with an Atheros AR 5007 802.11b/g card in it, and I want to replace the card with an Intel 4965 AGN card that I just got (I got the vendor/device/subsys id's off the web since I can't get them off the card - can anyone verify the Intel id's for me ? ). I get the 104 error when I try to boot with the Intel card, so I know it is not on the whitelist. Here is the information on my laptop, please feel free to e-mail me the new BIOS direct if you don't want to post it on here:

HP DV9727US

BIOS rev. f.30 ( http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=3650852 )

original wireless card info:

ATHEROS AR 5007 802.11b/g

vendor id: 168C

device id: 001C

subsystem id: 137A 103C

new card:

Intel 4965 AGN

vendor id: 8086

device id: 4229

subsystem id: 1101 8086

Thanks !

F.24A Bios with support for the Atheros AR5006eg (Ven=168C - Dev=001C - SUBSYS=7106144F)

Please post back here when you flash to confirm it works.

F.24A's whitelist is in BIOSCOD1.ROM, please use caution when flashing as changing anything in COD1 can easily result in a brick. Please perform a crisis recovery and verify it works before flashing.

ok i flashed bios this time with dos utility. but it still brick. i already had a bios back up chip. so the laptop is still working after i install it. am going to buy a programmer socket for the sst39vf080 and see if i flash with external programmer it will work. as its cheaper to have a programmer than sending chip off each time it bricks.

am thinking the problem maybe with the 40pin tsop . maybe it has some sort of checksome protection , which the 32 pin sst39vf040 thats in other laptops dont have.

hello,

Could you please tell me if this will work for the dv7? model number is dv7-1020us. BIOS Revision is F.0A Here's a link to the bios from HP. The current card that is in this is an Intel WIFI Link 5100agn. the hardware IDs are:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4237&SUBSYS_12118086&REV_00

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4237&SUBSYS_12118086

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4237&CC_028000

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4237&CC_0280

thanks!

The new HP DV series are using INSYDE BIOS which you cannot open up with Phoenix BIOS Edit. Sorry...

Hello. I was wondering if you could help me out with a custom BIOS ? I have an HP DV9727US with an Atheros AR 5007 802.11b/g card in it, and I want to replace the card with an Intel 4965 AGN card that I just got (I got the vendor/device/subsys id's off the web since I can't get them off the card - can anyone verify the Intel id's for me ? ). I get the 104 error when I try to boot with the Intel card, so I know it is not on the whitelist. Here is the information on my laptop, please feel free to e-mail me the new BIOS direct if you don't want to post it on here:

HP DV9727US

BIOS rev. f.30 ( http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...product=3650852 )

original wireless card info:

ATHEROS AR 5007 802.11b/g

vendor id: 168C

device id: 001C

subsystem id: 137A 103C

new card:

Intel 4965 AGN

vendor id: 8086

device id: 4229

subsystem id: 1101 8086

Thanks !

I will open this BIOS up and take a look. Haven't had much luck with AMD yet. Please be advised BIOS editing can brick your system. Please research Phoenix Crisis Recovery and perform that on your system to ensure you can recover from a bad flash. Are you not using OS X with your system? Intel wifi cards are unsupported in OS X....

HP dv2710us

F24

3. Your Model of your stock wireless card and the model of the new card you want to put in

Stock wireless card:

Broadcom 4310

14E4 4315 137C103C

New Card: Broadcom 4321 300Mbps Mini PCI-E Wifi Card 802.11 a/b/g/n:

I believe it's 14E4 4328.

I can't find the subsystem for this card.

I'm load BIOS with Phoenix bios editor

change something and restore

rebuild bios no error

flash and restart

brick

What's wrong.

What did you change after you opened up the BIOS? Did you use a hex editor? With a bad flash you will need to research Phoenix Crisis Recovery disk and recover your system.

HP dv2710us

F24

Stock wireless card:

Broadcom 4310

14E4 4315 137C103C

New Card: Broadcom 4321 300Mbps Mini PCI-E Wifi Card 802.11 a/b/g/n:

I believe it's 14E4 4328.

I can't find the subsystem for this card.

I have tried editing the F.24 BIOS to add in a specific wifi card but it just bricked the users system and I haven't had a report back from him whether a Crisis Disk will recover the system. I added the ven dev and subsys in correctly but somewhere in the rebuild will cause I bad flash. With the F.24 the whitelist is in BIOSCOD1.ROM and for some reason editing COD1 can cause an easy brick. My guess is in the rebuilding and a checksum error of some sort, but not for sure. I can try editing again but I'm not for sure if a phoenix crisis recovery disk will work on systems with the F.24, if you are able to test that out for me whether you can perform a crisis recovery or not, that would be great. Thanks!

Hello, could you please help me modding bios

HP V3609TU (Wistron 30CD)

BIOS rev. F.2D (ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp40501-41000/sp40750.exe)

original wireless card:

Intel 3945BG

VEN: 8086

DEV:4222

SUBSYS: 10058086

new wireless card:

Intel 5300AGN

DEV:4235

SUBSYS: 10018086

I've try modding by myself but it fail over 10 times.

Thanks !

Opened this BIOS and I can see parts of the ven dev of Intel card you have but cant find the subsys. Usually the subsys is right there with the rest of the dev and ven. I checked in usual spots like the CODs' after you open up the BIOS but was not able to locate the whitelist.

I got it!!!! (I'm Very Happy)

whitelist is in MOD_5100.ROM

And I brick my laptop many times because of WinPhlash

so I use phlash16 in DOS with this command "C:\phlash16.exe /mode=3 /x /doskey /bbl moddedbios.wph"

Hope this help

PS. Sorry for my bad english I'm thai people.

UPDATE:

I found the subsystem

05:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4321 802.11a/b/g/n [14e4:4328] (rev 03)

Subsystem: Apple Computer Inc. Device [106b:0088]

I've tried edit your BIOS

if not sure flash BIOS in DOS with my sample command above.

***USE AT YOUR OWN RISK***

30D6F24_MOD.zip

Hello, LRZRAGE, and many thanks for yourkind offer.

I have a HP dv2750es with BIOS F.2B. I have heard that this is quite difficult to flash it.

My current wifi card is:

Intel 3945BG

DEV: 4222

Subsys: 10058086

My new wifi card is:

Broadcom 4321

VEN: 14E4

DEV: 4328

Subsytem: 106b: 0088

Also I have a Broadcom 4311 (Dell 1390), but I fell it would be better to get it done with the 4321.

Thanks again!

I'm load BIOS with Phoenix bios editor

change something and restore

rebuild bios no error

flash and restart

brick

What's wrong.

did the crisis recovery worked to repair bios.?

i did the same thing flash both with dos and winphlash and it brick the laptop.

i should have a tsop programmer by friday so i will report back. but i think its do with the bios chip as the tsop has more security features than the plcc 32 bios chip thats in other succesfull bios hack laptop

did the crisis recovery worked to repair bios.?

i did the same thing flash both with dos and winphlash and it brick the laptop.

i should have a tsop programmer by friday so i will report back. but i think its do with the bios chip as the tsop has more security features than the plcc 32 bios chip thats in other succesfull bios hack laptop

Crisis recovery work for me.

when your flash bios with dos did your update boot block (/bbl parameter)?

for me if not add /bbl parameter it will brick the laptop.

guys, i updated my bios with a modded one, and system brick, and i've checked now, the bios fail recovery is disabled, so, waht can i do to recover it? send to hp technicians?

you can send it to hp if you are still under warranty. but you will have to wait for about 4 weeks with out a laptop.

if you have no warranty and know how to solder you can buy a pre flash bios chip and solder in your self. or take the chip and motherboard to a tv repair shop for soldering. thats the cheapest way out.

cost me only £14.00 once

most bios service offer fix where you send the mother board in or laptop , and they do all the solder and desmanttle but that they charge more.

if you can solder you can can buy a rework station for about £50 , and a willem programmer they go cheep on fleebay with the correct adaprter for your bios chip. and program it your self.

where are you located. as if you are in the uk i know a guy who dos really great bois jobs.

and there is also a guy in new york who dos it too. have your lappy up and running in less that a week.

also ill be flashing the chip with the moded bios with a programmer. to see it it works. ill report back

XD, thanks for the reply, i'm located in brazil =] so, my last chance is hp technicians. I've already contacted them, so no problem, they will repair it, but, my question is: if bios recovery is locked on bios, i can unlock it and reflash without any more mod and get a full working laptop to start modding and recovering bios or i'll never be able to do it, as it can made a error and dont ovveride the bios, so still not recoverable and need help with warranty again? my laptop is the one listed in signature

XD, thanks for the reply, i'm located in brazil =] so, my last chance is hp technicians. I've already contacted them, so no problem, they will repair it, but, my question is: if bios recovery is locked on bios, i can unlock it and reflash without any more mod and get a full working laptop to start modding and recovering bios or i'll never be able to do it, as it can made a error and dont ovveride the bios, so still not recoverable and need help with warranty again? my laptop is the one listed in signature

i guess your the best rout for you is to use linux ubantu and flash a broadcom or ateros eeprom on the wifi cards . that way if you mess up.

here is a link for the broadcom card flashing.

good luck

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=75242