Boot Leo with chameleon from Grub

solaar

45 posts in this topic

Sorry the right command is

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/ /dev/sda <return>

and is necessary to install grub in the first HD

Giorgio

Giorgio-multi

Well, maybe we simply don't understand each other? When i had to save my gentoo i disabled all hdds except linux's. So it was the one hdd. I did:

1. start computer

2. get grub menu

3. press C button (low registry)

4. root (hd0,0)

5. setup (hd0)

6. reboot.

steps 5 and 6 are the same you want me to do, written in another way only.

What's wrong, i don't undersand? What for do i have to do this again? And now my linux hdd is the first in bios othervise i'd boot windows or get mac loader error.

Well, thats's interesting of course, but I don't understand why i must do sudo grub-install --roort-directory=/ /dev/sda if grub is already installed on (hd0) and that's /dev/sda? And chainloader (hd2)+1 means that grub will give his job to some macloader on /dev/sdc (hd2) and i don't have it. (i think... course if it would be, i'd get some errors but i get only a black screen with a blinking tile.) So, explain what you have done and how it works. And... I have 3 partitions on mac hdd 1 for boot loader as i planed, next - mac_root and then mac_home, so my system drive is /dev/sdc2 (hd2,1).

-----edit-------

I've done as you advised. makeactive gave an error 12 - invalid device requested

chainloader (hd2)+1 and boot hang up grub.

Doing

root (hd2,1)

makeactive

chainloader +1

boot

gave boot1: error.

i may be wrong but i think it should be;

rootnoverify (hd2,1) ## not sure if you need the noverify but mine just works with it##

makeactive

chainloader (hd2)+1  ##this if am not mistaken passes booting to the efi bootloader so install the on your mac partition for it to work###

Hi, while i see plenty of peoplke succeeding with booting GUID OSX from Grub I cant get anything working.

Tried all suggested tricks to no avail.

Here is my setup:

HD0 - GUID OSX - Chameleon HD boot.

HD1 - Ubuntu

Grub installed in the MBR of HD0

Since I'am not at home now I cant paste my menu.lst but have tried various ways to boot OSX, resulting in "wrong drive/paritition" to "boot1 error".

menu.lst

title		Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-9-generic
uuid		c3a2d733-f36f-4cc7-a024-356ffa75019b
kernel		/vmlinuz-2.6.27-9-generic root=UUID=3e4ee47a-c1e2-47c1-aa14-67b2896ebf6b ro quiet splash 
initrd		/initrd.img-2.6.27-9-generic
quiet

title		Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-9-generic (recovery mode)
kernel		/vmlinuz-2.6.27-9-generic root=UUID=3e4ee47a-c1e2-47c1-aa14-67b2896ebf6b ro  single
initrd		/initrd.img-2.6.27-9-generic

title		Ubuntu 8.10, memtest86+
kernel		/memtest86+.bin
quiet

title Leopard
root (hd0)
makeactive
chainloader (hd0)+1

Also a list of partitions on the two disks.

hd0:

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1       60802   488386583+  ee  GPT

hd1:

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1               1          24      192748+  83  Linux
/dev/sdb2              25        9726    77931315    5  Extended
/dev/sdb5              25        3063    24410736   83  Linux
/dev/sdb6            3064        3549     3903763+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sdb7            3550        4035     3903763+  83  Linux
/dev/sdb8            4036        9726    45712926    b  W95 FAT32

And since that gpartd somehow reads more details from the disk, here is a screenshot of hd1:

post-39930-1232655380_thumb.jpeg

Thanks!

switch the hdd's around so the linux is the first and install grub on it then reinstall install chameleon on the mac  hdd. make changes to the grub menu to match new setup. also post your menu.lst so people can help

good luch

switch the hdd's around so the linux is the first and install grub on it then reinstall install chameleon on the mac  hdd. make changes to the grub menu to match new setup. also post your menu.lst so people can help

good luch

nama2g, I'll try your suggestion. Thanks.

Let you know..

PS I added my menu.lst

make chameleon is installed on the mac hdd. then install grub to the linux disk and edit the menu to match the new setup and they should work. right now with the entry i advised its passing the boot back to itself since grub it on the mac hdd which is where we r pointing it to chainboot, thats my assumption.

so say the ubuntu hdd is first and mac second in bios try this menu.lst example

title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-9-generic

uuid c3a2d733-f36f-4cc7-a024-356ffa75019b

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.27-9-generic root=UUID=3e4ee47a-c1e2-47c1-aa14-67b2896ebf6b ro quiet splash 

initrd /initrd.img-2.6.27-9-generic

quiet

title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-9-generic (recovery mode)

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.27-9-generic root=UUID=3e4ee47a-c1e2-47c1-aa14-67b2896ebf6b ro single

title Ubuntu 8.10, memtest86+

kernel /memtest86+.bin

quiet

title Leopard

rootnoverify (hd1,0)

makeactive

chainloader (hd1)+1

make chameleon is installed on the mac hdd. then install grub to the linux disk and edit the menu to match the new setup and they should work. right now with the entry i advised its passing the boot back to itself since grub it on the mac hdd which is where we r pointing it to chainboot, thats my assumption.

so say the ubuntu hdd is first and mac second in bios try this menu.lst example

title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-9-generic

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.27-9-generic root=UUID=3e4ee47a-c1e2-47c1-aa14-67b2896ebf6b ro quiet splash 

quiet

title Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-9-generic (recovery mode)

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.27-9-generic root=UUID=3e4ee47a-c1e2-47c1-aa14-67b2896ebf6b ro single

title Ubuntu 8.10, memtest86+

kernel /memtest86+.bin

quiet

title Leopard

rootnoverify (hd1,0)

makeactive

chainloader (hd1)+1

Hi nama2g, did as you explained and it works ;)

This i the entry:

title Leopard

rootnoverify (hd1,2)

makeactive

chainloader (hd1)+1

Thanks for your help!

• 1 month later...
title leopard

root (hd2)

makeactive

chainloader (hd2)+1

these are the correct commands with Leopard and GUID

modify your menu.lst and by terminal:

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/ /dev/sda <return>

Giorgio

Thank you. You saved my day, together with GRUB4DOS. :)

I installed XP 32-bit(MBR) and iPC 10.5.6(GPT) on separated physical hard drives on my Intel. While I experience no problem booting these two OSes by selecting boot device from BIOS, I have been struggling to figure out how to dual boot from a single bootloader.

FYI: I boot XP by NTLDR and I boot Leopard by Chameleon 1.0.12 PC_EFI v9

It is what I have done in short:

1. Use NTLDR as first bootloader

2. Load GRUB4DOS from NTLDR

3. Define root partition of Leopard and chainload bootsect of Leopard HDD

4. Boot Leopard from Chameleon :)

Here are my configuration files:

boot.ini (for NTLDR):

[boot loader]

timeout=5

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

/noexecute=optin /fastdetect

c:\grldr="GRUB4DOS"

(note: grldr is the GRUB4DOS loader)

menu.lst (for GRUB4DOS):

timeout 1

default 0

title Mac OS X 10.5.6

chainloader (hd1)+1

rootnoverify (hd1,2)

By using this method, I am able to keep the boot sectors of both of the HDD intact. I have tried to install different Darwin loaders hoping it to find the XP partition and coping different bootsect files (including dd of the Leopard HDD and/or Leopard partition), only resulting error and I even corrupted the Leopard loader once. With GRUB4DOS, even if you fail, you are not likely to brake anything.

I hope my two cents helps in despite of my non-native speaking English and being a Noob to OSX86. :blink:

Ed

The setup is quite simple actually. 3 separate drives:

* (hd0) Ubuntu and Grub - MBR (PATA)

* (hd1) Data drive - MBR (SATA)

* (hd2) OSX drive (retail Leopard and Chameleon) - GUID (SATA)

For what it's worth, in a similar situation I've used:

title Leopard
root (0x82)

as a grub menu.lst entry and it booted OSX just fine.

0x80 = 1st hard drive

0x81 = 2nd hard drive

0x82 = 3rd hard drive

I didn't even have to specify the partition.

(my OSX was on the 2nd partition of the 3rd hard drive, which would be 0x82,1).

• 2 months later...

Although this thread is old as sin I'd like to just wrap it up and thank everybody for their input. I finally got it working... yea I know months later ;) after having abandoned it for a while. I must admit that the whole thread got very confusing after a while for someone like myself who's a bit slow when it comes to codification and exotic abbreviations. There are just too many contradictions and different possibilities that all allegedly work.

Well, the only way that did work for me :

* HD0 Linux drive

* HD1 GUID OSX drive. On the root of the OSX drive I have boot0 and boot1h. (That's actually my first confusion. I don't remember where these files were coming from, EFI_8 or Chameleon. Does it make a difference?)

These two files reside on the main system partition, not on the EFI partition. In tech terms they are on partition 1, not 0. (Another confusion. Does it really matter where they are to boot properly without interruptions? Apparently not. Why not? I suppose that a few parametres might change if it's on the EFI partition? Is one option to be preferred over the other and why? A tech head will be able to tell.)

Grub:

title Leopard

root (hd1,1)

makeactive

chainloader (hd1)+1

I don't remember who came up with it first but maximum respect! You really got to know that you have to put that bloody (hd1) after chainloader. That was my whole problem all along. Three poxy characters in brackets.... I had never seen it before in any of the info I could find. Or perhaps I didn't look properly or didn't know how to interpret it when I saw it.

I reckon what unnecessarily makes people confused is that the terminology is not homogenous without any apparent reason. One calls a hard drive hd1,1 another sda1,1 and another disk1s1. The list of other examples is endless.

Without getting too philosophical again but that's what tech heads have to understand in dealing with tech {censored} like myself - and many others. We're not stupid per se, our brains just don't work the same way as yours. We just can't memorise encrypted codes and transform them into plain language or vice versa. If at least there was one standardised way in programming which is universally understood by all environments, you tech guys wouldn't have to be bothered that much by us non techs. You know, we love to use computers as much as you do.

I'm still dreaming that one day somebody comes up with a compiler that understands plain English. Dream on...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Gang,

I am torn whether to ask my question here or on a new topic. I will give it a try here.

I am using Chameleon 2 RC1 on an USB thumb drive. This way I have a very clean OSX on my hard drive.

I want to partition my USB thumbdrive in 2 partitions. One is HFS+ with the Chameleon 2 bootloader and the other stores all the Grub stuff and images grub will alternatively boot as well. These images are things like Gparted, Mem86+, etc. I have these running smoothly.

When I boot the computer, the Grub bootloader comes up. I want to be able to put a menu entry in Grub to launch the Chameleon bootloader in the separate partition. When I boot, this appears as HD0. I have tried the chainloader options shown here without luck.

Can please anyone help? ;)

Thanks,

Hernando

• 4 weeks later...

Finally, success!

I tried so many of these Linux GRUB-based multi-drive/boot suggestions. After borking my OSX, I tried Ed Lo's Grub4DOS via WinXP NTDLR and it was so easy, once I studied up on it. If you need XP (or Vista) it's pretty straightforward and no file copying, no need to"Terminal" anything. A big advantage that the drives will separately boot (if the other is out of the system).

My setup:

hd0 -- WinXP(hd0,1) Ubuntu (hd0,2)

hd1 -- Leopard (hd1,1) with Chameleon 2 bootloader (EFI partition) at (hd1,0)

Can't thank you enough -- it's taken three nights and days... sometimes it takes a N00b!

Thank you. You saved my day, together with GRUB4DOS. :dance_24:

I installed XP 32-bit(MBR) and iPC 10.5.6(GPT) on separated physical hard drives on my Intel. While I experience no problem booting these two OSes by selecting boot device from BIOS, I have been struggling to figure out how to dual boot from a single bootloader.

FYI: I boot XP by NTLDR and I boot Leopard by Chameleon 1.0.12 PC_EFI v9

It is what I have done in short:

1. Use NTLDR as first bootloader

2. Load GRUB4DOS from NTLDR

3. Define root partition of Leopard and chainload bootsect of Leopard HDD

4. Boot Leopard from Chameleon :D

Here are my configuration files:

boot.ini (for NTLDR):

[boot loader]

timeout=5

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

/noexecute=optin /fastdetect

c:\grldr="GRUB4DOS"

(note: grldr is the GRUB4DOS loader)

menu.lst (for GRUB4DOS):

timeout 1

default 0

title Mac OS X 10.5.6

chainloader (hd1)+1

rootnoverify (hd1,2)

By using this method, I am able to keep the boot sectors of both of the HDD intact. I have tried to install different Darwin loaders hoping it to find the XP partition and coping different bootsect files (including dd of the Leopard HDD and/or Leopard partition), only resulting error and I even corrupted the Leopard loader once. With GRUB4DOS, even if you fail, you are not likely to brake anything.

I hope my two cents helps in despite of my non-native speaking English and being a Noob to OSX86. ;)

Ed

• 3 months later...

One other Success:

My configuration:

2 Hard Drives:

1st.: SATA2 with Debian with /home and storage partitions, grub in sda or (hd0).

2nd.: IDE - ATA with Retail Snow in GUID with Chameleon 2RC3 and /Extra, Boot and Chameleon in the same partition than Leopard (No Efi for /Extra)

After read your posts...

title OS X86

rootnoverify (hd1,1)

makeactive

chainloader (hd1)+2

Works perfectly.

Thanks a lot for all and i'm gonna be expecting this topic waiting for Grub2 issues.

Grets.

Santiago.

• 4 months later...

Ummm...

GRUB2 a.k.a. GRUB-PC allows to boot OSX without Chameleon.

Now i'm using Snow Leopard Retail with Debian Testing (future Squeeze) in my laptop, in the same hard disk, in a GUID scheme partition.

All booting from GRUB2, with auto configuration for the OSX entries (2 entries, 32 and 64 bits) and usig kexts in /Extra/Extensions.

First i install Snow with a booting disk, creating partitions in guid scheme and keeping free space for Debian. Then i install Debian and after two reboots, Grub shows the two OSX entries (32 and 64 bits boot) and it works.

I think is a very interesting option.

Grets.

• 3 months later...

Hi!

Im trying to make a multiboot usb with grub4dos, the usb is parted in two partitions of MBR shemes, the first is NTFS and have the menu.lst, glrd, glrd.mbr and a directory called boot with all iso images to boot, the second partition is formated HFS+ in there i restore the installer dvd image and install my hack installer, the problem is when i select to boot the second partition from grub4dos not send me the chameleon efi bootloader and nothing, only back to the menu of grub4dos.

some body have and idea to solve this isue.

i been trying all the methods in this post but nothing, thanks for all

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have some problems. My config: Retail Snow Leopard on a guid disk and Extra folder on the EFI partition. I use Chameleon RC5 (pre version). OSX boot ok. The second os is Fedora 13, on the same disk. /boot partition in ext4 and for the /home and / in a LVM partition.

Chameleon see only the Mac. (boot0 on the rdisk0 and boot1h on the rdisk0s1 EFI partition)

I try grub from Fedora 13

root (hd0,2)

setup (hd0)

Fedora boot ok, but not MAC. any suggestion for grub line entry or Chameleon tips?

Thanks for your help

• 2 months later...

Booting a Chameleon enabled disk from GRUB is actually very simple. You just have to

chainload the MBR (not a VBR) from your Chameleon disk. To do this, add these

lines to your menu.lst:

title Mac OS X
map (hdX) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hdX)
chainloader +1

Where hdX is your GPT disk with Mac OS X installed. Chameleon writes boot code to

the GPT's protective MBR, so do not use rootnoverify (hdX,Y) as GRUB has no

idea about your GUID partitions.