Boot Leo with chameleon from Grub

solaar

45 posts in this topic

Hi gurus!

To anticipate our beloved 'google it' reply, well I did. And guess what, 10 people say 10 different things and none of them work. :rolleyes:

The setup is quite simple actually. 3 separate drives:

* (hd0) Ubuntu and Grub - MBR (PATA)

* (hd1) Data drive - MBR (SATA)

* (hd2) OSX drive (retail Leopard and Chameleon) - GUID (SATA)

The goal is to boot OSX from Grub. This has never been a problem before when I had one of the chipped Leo distros on a MBR drive. With a GUID drive things seem to be quite different.

BTW the OSX drive boots perfectly on its own when set as first boot device in the BIOS.

I've tried the following and basically any imaginable combination of them.

title Leopard

root (hd2,0)

makeactive

chainloader +1

or

title Leopard

rootnoverify (hd2,0)

makeactive

chainloader +1

boot

yield message:

Non-system disk - press any key to reboot

title Leopard

root (hd2,0)

kernel /boot/boot

boot

or

title Leopard

root (hd2,0)

makeactive

chainloader +1

kernel /boot/boot

boot

or

title Leopard

rootnoverify (hd2,0)

makeactive

chainloader +1

kernel /boot

boot

or

title Leopard

root (hd2,0)

kernel /boot/boot

modulenounzip /boot/initrd.img

yield message:

Error 17: cannot mount selected partition

I even tried to set

chainloader +2

as I've noticed that a GUID HD has an extra EFI partition on it and the actual system partition is on hdX,2. I also tried all of the previous with (hd2,1) or (hd2,2)

I assume that I'm missing some extra code/ instruction/ development wizardry on this one. Something you can only know if ...err... somebody told you how to do it correctly :angel:

Any clue from a brilliant tech head is much appreciated.

cheers

You could try the pc_efi solution.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry606752

It would work better if you created a small ext3 partion on the OS X disk on which you could install boot_v8

I know it sounds like a good idea. However I tried all the boot_v8 solutions as described but always run into HFS+ partition error, so I gave up on that. Chameleon does work fine when booted straight off the OSX drive. To be quite honest I like to keep my disks consistently in the same format. I've seen the weirdest things happen in the past dealing with different system partitions, especially Linux related stuff. I must admit I'm not techie enough (extreme command line phobia) to quickly pull myself out of the mud in case something catastrophic happens. Keeping everything completely separate gives me the safety to quickly boot into another disk when sh*t happens, without needing to tinker. And sh*t does happen, trust me... :)

Here is a solution for you!

I spent all morning on it, and got there in the end. I do have to say, there is no documentation about this! Boot a GUID install on a separate hard drive with Chameleon EFI.

The solution is much like PC_EFI (well it's exactly the same).

In your menu.lst:

title Darwin
kernel (hd0,2)/boot/chameleon/boot

Where (hd0,2) is an ext3 partition where you have copied the three files "boot", "boot0" and "boot1h" to the directory /boot/chameleon. Now I'm not sure if you need all three. You may indeed as I seemed to be getting boot1:error any other time. Though we should get some clarification?

That will then launch the multiboot interface allowing you to choose which disk (80, 81, 82, 83, etc). The hassle is that you do have to specify the number every time.

The solution to this is creating a tiny ext3 partition on your GUID OSX install (as wmarsh says above). This shouldn't be a problem, just do a little resize or move the main partition in GParted. Then copy the three boot files over and make sure you specify the correct drive/partition/path in the menu.lst. A good way to find the right drive is to "tab" in the grub command line (type "root (hd" then press tab...).

I hope to be of some assistance, as I found your post in the hope of a solution. So here is one now!

Cheers for that mate!

I was already at the point where the Darwin bootloader comes up and you have to enter the code. It was a similar command in Grub to what you described - don't remember exactly what it looked like.

The point is, I really want Leopard to boot as default option in Grub without any interruption. If possible.

I'm in the middle of testing your suggestion with the small ext3 partition. Unfortunately the partition is not writable, neither in Ubuntu nor in Leopard with ExtFS installed.

(Never mind, I opened nautilus as root in Ubuntu and then I could change the disk permissions.

EDIT: I defined it as primary cos' AFAIK that's required for it to be bootable.

EDIT2: I finally managed to get the boot files onto the ext3 partition on the OSX GUID drive. I added the command jackt mentioned but the problem remains -

Error 17 : cannot mount selected partition

Any idea?

Cheers

I may be getting closer (or perhaps even farther than ever...)

I stumbled across something unexpected for me. I entered the 'regular' command for MBR disks

title Leopard

root (hd2,0)

makeactive

chainloader +1

It still halts with error

Non-system disk - press any key to reboot

...but when I press any key it keeps booting into OSX. This is a OSX clone on a different HD that doesn't have the extra ext3 partition on it.

I'm unable to interpret this - perhaps some tech genius can help - but now it looks so bloody close to the goal that I'm tempted to suggest the following :

If there is a way in Grub (or wherever required) to add some kind of command "press any key" or just "Enter" that skips this error message we can write a nice tutorial, put it online wherever people might be interested and all go to the pub :(

I know from my job though in dealing with my developer colleagues that this 'hey, can you just quickly add a '"Hit Enter" command at this point in your program' always ends in resounding laughter ;)

UPDATE:

I just tried several things with the ext3 partition on the GUID drive which all lead to Error 17, except for one config in menu.lst

title Leopard

root (hd2,1)

makeactive

chainloader +1

This one gives me error : boot1

I have both boot0 and boot1h on the root of the ext3 partition. What I don't understand is why is there a boot1h file but not a boot1? The error doesn't say anything about boot1h.

I know it sounds like a good idea. However I tried all the boot_v8 solutions as described but always run into HFS+ partition error, so I gave up on that. Chameleon does work fine when booted straight off the OSX drive. To be quite honest I like to keep my disks consistently in the same format. I've seen the weirdest things happen in the past dealing with different system partitions, especially Linux related stuff. I must admit I'm not techie enough (extreme command line phobia) to quickly pull myself out of the mud in case something catastrophic happens. Keeping everything completely separate gives me the safety to quickly boot into another disk when sh*t happens, without needing to tinker. And sh*t does happen, trust me... :)

My experience (as documented in the tutorial I linked above) is that if you copy boot_v8 to the ext partition you just made (put it in directory /boot) and boot that file as a Linux kernel, you will not get either Error 17 or the HFS+ error.

My menu.lst reads:

title Mac OSX Leopard

root (hd?,?) (in your case replace with same values grub uses for the ext3 partition you made, not ones for OSX partition)

kernel /boot/boot_v8

boot

My experience (as documented in the tutorial I linked above) is that if you copy boot_v8 to the ext partition you just made (put it in directory /boot) and boot that file as a Linux kernel, you will not get either Error 17 or the HFS+ error.

My menu.lst reads:

title Mac OSX Leopard

root (hd?,?) (in your case replace with same values grub uses for the ext3 partition you made, not ones for OSX partition)

kernel /boot/boot_v8

boot

Thanks a lot for your support.

I tried it but I have no luck with the boot_v8. Doing trial and error with the drive and partition number I keep getting either error 17, HFS+ partition error or the blinking underscore _.

I must admit that I'm able to install PC_EFI only with the OSX86 tools. I don't exactly understand where the EFI installer installs what on the hard drive but it seems like it's not going to the right place. This first FAT32 EFI partition confuses me. What is it doing there? Why is it FAT32 and not HFS+? There's obviously something on there when I check in gparted but I can't see what it is. Too many fundamental questions for me as a non-tech head. I suppose I should give up.... :D

Whenever I try to do something more elaborate from the terminal with arcane commands I mess something up really seriously. I do need a properly functioning installer. Whenever I open the terminal I have to put a seat belt on :D

No biggie, I can live with the extra Enter.

cheers again for your support guys :)

I have to say my method above is working flawlessly for me. After the 10 second timeout in Grub, it goes to Chameleon multiboot for 2 seconds, then straight to darwin and 2 seconds later OSX is booting. Plenty of time to change anything, and no manual input necessary for it to boot OSX.

Do you use GParted? I was easily able to resize my HFS+ partition and shift it to the right then create a 128MB Ext3 partition using Gparted (get a live CD maybe? or install it on your ubuntu). Sabayon is a really wicked Distro just incase you're looking for a new one -_-

With the three Chameleon boot files on the ext3 partition, and the line in "kernel(hd0,0)/boot/chameleon/boot" pointing to the mini ext3 partition in grub - it boots fine. GRUB shouldn't have any problems mounting ext3 - if it does I'd say something has gone wrong with your partitioning work. Retry. If you had trouble mounting it with linux, really sounds like there is a problem there.

From what I've found, no matter whether you use PC_EFI or Chameleon, if you want Grub to boot OSX from a seperate drive without manually entering in HD numbers you will need a working ext3 partition on that drive. No way around it (prove me wrong!).

I have to say my method above is working flawlessly for me. After the 10 second timeout in Grub, it goes to Chameleon multiboot for 2 seconds, then straight to darwin and 2 seconds later OSX is booting. Plenty of time to change anything, and no manual input necessary for it to boot OSX.

Do you use GParted? I was easily able to resize my HFS+ partition and shift it to the right then create a 128MB Ext3 partition using Gparted (get a live CD maybe? or install it on your ubuntu). Sabayon is a really wicked Distro just incase you're looking for a new one :rolleyes:

With the three Chameleon boot files on the ext3 partition, and the line in "kernel(hd0,0)/boot/chameleon/boot" pointing to the mini ext3 partition in grub - it boots fine. GRUB shouldn't have any problems mounting ext3 - if it does I'd say something has gone wrong with your partitioning work. Retry. If you had trouble mounting it with linux, really sounds like there is a problem there.

From what I've found, no matter whether you use PC_EFI or Chameleon, if you want Grub to boot OSX from a seperate drive without manually entering in HD numbers you will need a working ext3 partition on that drive. No way around it (prove me wrong!).

I agree entirely, no way without an ext3 partition on the drive.

Mostly I find people get trouble with grub mounting the partition its because they use "kernel(hd?,?)" pointing to their OS X partition. Yes I know thats what you want to boot -- but grub can't read hfs+ -- those values have to point to your ext3 partition.

I had the same problems until i realized that all you need is the name and a kernel set up to the 'boot' file that comes with chameleon. just type this into your menu.lst

ex/

title(press tab twice)Mac OS X Leopard

(press tab once)kernel(press tab once)(your directory to the 'boot' file)(example if its on the root grub partition and located in /boot/grub/ then it would be "/boot/grub/boot")

thats it, thats all, then type your drive number in at the prompt. or if you want you could setup grub so then it maps your os x drive to be first. then all you have to do is press enter on mac and then you can let it boot up hands free!!

Hope this helps!!

hey all - i'm having similar problems, but also a little bit unique. So i've got my osx on an external with ubuntu on the same external (mbr). ubuntu is partition1, osx partition2 (named 'osx' - iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5), then swap partitions after that. osx partition is primary, active, and boot flagged (according to gparted live cd and ubuntu live).

First problem is I can't boot from dvd without doing rd=disk1s2. with rd=disk1s2, boot works perfectly (fast too!). if letting the 2 seconds go by, it just goes to blinking cursor with a "\" solid over it.

When I first installed iDeneb, it wrote over Grub on the MBR with boot0, and when I booted up for the first time, I got an infinite loop of

boot0: MBR

boot0: done

x infinity.

I went 'o {censored}', rewrote Grub to the MBR, and could boot up into ubuntu just fine. When I try to do

root (hd0,1)

makeactive

chainloader +1

I get Error 13: Invalid or unsupported Executable format. (Note: when booting from the external, the external becomes hd0 according to Grub, and (hd0,1) definitely points to osx partition).

Now, I've then gone and tried to do boot_v8, and chameleon/boot. I've loaded them onto the /boot/ folder of (hd0,0), my unbuntu installation, and I can actually boot to those! I get the "press 2 seconds to change drive" from 0x80 etc. , I don't press anything as I want drive 0x80, and then it goes to blinking cursor with a solid cursor above it.

When entering 0x81, Vista boots perfectly (81, my internal hd)

So I've concluded that nothing can find my osx partition. Usual problem? Not active or not boot flagged (or not primary). Problem is that it is all three. I then thought 'oh woops i didn't dd boot1h to rdisk1s2. ' So, I did that, to no avail. also did it to disk1s2 (no r). No good still. Then I thought 'well, maybe it cant be found because its past cylinder 1024' (~8gb in) but people laughed at me (osx is about 370gb into the drive). To justify my guess I tried creating a small partition in front of it to load the bootloaders from, ext2 and ext3, but I'm getting the same problem as above -- Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition. wtf?! its ext2 and ext3! I made it chmod 777 in ubuntu, but i think thats only specific to ubuntu.

So if anyone has any idea on what to do, please let me know! I've been going at this for 3-4 days now, without any success. Thanks in advance

-reeve

• 3 months later...
Hi gurus!

To anticipate our beloved 'google it' reply, well I did. And guess what, 10 people say 10 different things and none of them work. ;)

The setup is quite simple actually. 3 separate drives:

* (hd0) Ubuntu and Grub - MBR (PATA)

* (hd1) Data drive - MBR (SATA)

* (hd2) OSX drive (retail Leopard and Chameleon) - GUID (SATA)

The goal is to boot OSX from Grub. This has never been a problem before when I had one of the chipped Leo distros on a MBR drive. With a GUID drive things seem to be quite different.

BTW the OSX drive boots perfectly on its own when set as first boot device in the BIOS.

What you were looking for is this:

title Leopard

rootnoverify (hd2)

chainloader +1

This will boot from the MBR on hd2. Simple eh!

Finally working. Vista on Partition 1, OSX on 2. Downloaded & copied pc_efi_v80 to /boot on my Linux partition.

-----------

title SUSE LINUX

root (hd0,5)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD501LJS0MUJDWQ256316-part6 splash=silent showopts

initrd /boot/initrd

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###

title Failsafe -- SUSE LINUX

root (hd0,5)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_SAMSUNG_HD501LJS0MUJDWQ256316-part6 showopts ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noresume edd=off x11failsafe

initrd /boot/initrd

title Vista

rootnoverify (hd0,5)

chainloader (hd0,0)+1

title OSX

rootnoverify (hd0,1)

kernel (hd0,5)/boot/boot_v8

chainloader +1

title leopard

root (hd2)

makeactive

chainloader (hd2)+1

these are the correct commands with Leopard and GUID

modify your menu.lst and by terminal:

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/ /dev/sda <return>

Giorgio

title leopard

root (hd2)

makeactive

chainloader (hd2)+1

these are the correct commands with Leopard and GUID

modify your menu.lst and by terminal:

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/ /dev/sda <return>

Giorgio

thanks Giorgio, works perfect

here is my grub confing menu.lst; and it works like a charm for all entries

#boot=/dev/sda

default=1

timeout=5

splashimage=(hd0,2)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

#hiddenmenu

title Fedora (2.6.27.9-159.fc10.x86_64)

root (hd0,2)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.9-159.fc10.x86_64 ro root=UUID=c55cea4b-473f-4652-84f1-0d9d9f25341d rhgb quiet vga=0x318

initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.27.9-159.fc10.x86_64.img

title Vista Ultimate SP1 x64

rootnoverify (hd2,0)

chainloader +1

title Leopard 10.5.6 (PC_EFI_v9)

rootnoverify (hd2,1)

makeactive

chainloader (hd2)+1

title OSX Recovery

rootnoverify (hd1,0)

makeactive

chainloader (hd1)+1

title Windows Se7en x64 beta1

rootnoverify (hd2,2)

chainloader +1

title Fedora (2.6.27.5-117.fc10.x86_64)

root (hd0,2)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.x86_64 ro root=UUID=c55cea4b-473f-4652-84f1-0d9d9f25341d rhgb quiet

initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.27.5-117.fc10.x86_64.img

Put your boot0 file on your linux partition. Chainload the boot0 file instead of chainloader +1. Make sure you have installed boot1h in your OS X partition (dd if=boot1h of=rdiskXsY), and of course 'boot' in / of your OS X partition. That works for me (and I've been using this method for ages).

Here's the menu.lst config I use on my setup; make sure you replace (hd0,x) with whatever yours is, and of course the path to your boot0 file.

title OS X

rootnoverify (hd0,1)

makeactive

chainloader (hd0,4)/boot/chameleon/boot0

Put your boot0 file on your linux partition. Chainload the boot0 file instead of chainloader +1. Make sure you have installed boot1h in your OS X partition (dd if=boot1h of=rdiskXsY), and of course 'boot' in / of your OS X partition. That works for me (and I've been using this method for ages).

Here's the menu.lst config I use on my setup; make sure you replace (hd0,x) with whatever yours is, and of course the path to your boot0 file.

title OS X

rootnoverify (hd0,1)

makeactive

chainloader (hd0,4)/boot/chameleon/boot0

am happy with Giorgio's method, no need to move anything to the linux partition.just install boot loader on mac partition and add entries into grub as seen in his example or my working munu.lst file and it works just fine and simple. way simpler than moving the boot0 files around. am currently using pc-efi_v9 

Well, maybe someone will tell me what to do.

Have: HDD1 - Gentoo Linux

HDD2 - Windows 7

HDD3 - MacOSX 10.5.6 Retail.

Boot-132 on HDD1 (/boot/mac)

Problem:

I boot, see grub menu, select MacOS, then I see something like:

kernel /boot/mac/kernel

modulenounzip /boot/mac/initd.img, then I get an error that com.apple.boot.plist not found and after that I have to press enter, type 82, press Enter twice and only after that I get into MacOS. And of course Mac doesn't like ext3 FS, so it gives me an error, that inserted disk cannot be read or something like that.

Well, maybe someone will tell me what to do.

Have: HDD1 - Gentoo Linux

HDD2 - Windows 7

HDD3 - MacOSX 10.5.6 Retail.

Boot-132 on HDD1 (/boot/mac)

Problem:

I boot, see grub menu, select MacOS, then I see something like:

kernel /boot/mac/kernel

modulenounzip /boot/mac/initd.img, then I get an error that com.apple.boot.plist not found and after that I have to press enter, type 82, press Enter twice and only after that I get into MacOS. And of course Mac doesn't like ext3 FS, so it gives me an error, that inserted disk cannot be read or something like that.

Post the menu.lst of your Gentoo and I modify it for triple boot.

Giorgio

timeout 30
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
gfxmenu (hd0,0)/boot/gfxmenu
default 0

title		Gentoo Linux 2008.0 (2.6.28)
root		(hd0,0)
kernel		/boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.28-gentoo root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda1 vga=795 splash=silent,theme:natural_gentoo console=tty1 quite doscsi 
initrd		/boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.28-gentoo
savedefault
boot

title		Gentoo Linux 2008.0 (2.6.27-r7)
root		(hd0,0)
kernel		/boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.27-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda1 vga=795 splash=silent,theme:natural_gentoo console=tty1 quite doscsi 
initrd		/boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.27-gentoo-r7
savedefault
boot

title		Gentoo Linux 2008.0 (2.6.27-r2)
root		(hd0,0)
kernel		/boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.27-gentoo-r2 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda1 vga=795 splash=verbose,theme:natural_gentoo console=tty1 quite doscsi 
initrd		/boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.27-gentoo-r2
savedefault
boot

title		Gentoo Linux 2008.0 (2.6.27)
root		(hd0,0)
kernel		/boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.27 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda1 doscsi 
initrd		/boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.27
savedefault
boot

title		MacOS X Leopard (10.5.6)
root			(hd0,0)
kernel		   /boot/mac/boot
modulenounzip	/boot/mac/initrd.img

title Windows 7 Beta 1
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

timeout 30
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
gfxmenu (hd0,0)/boot/gfxmenu
default 0

title		Gentoo Linux 2008.0 (2.6.28)
root		(hd0,0)
kernel		/boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.28-gentoo root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda1 vga=795 splash=silent,theme:natural_gentoo console=tty1 quite doscsi 
initrd		/boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.28-gentoo
savedefault
boot
title		Gentoo Linux 2008.0 (2.6.27-r7)
root		(hd0,0)
kernel		/boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.27-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda1 vga=795 splash=silent,theme:natural_gentoo console=tty1 quite doscsi 
initrd		/boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.27-gentoo-r7
savedefault
boot
title		Gentoo Linux 2008.0 (2.6.27-r2)
root		(hd0,0)
kernel		/boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.27-gentoo-r2 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda1 vga=795 splash=verbose,theme:natural_gentoo console=tty1 quite doscsi 
initrd		/boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.27-gentoo-r2
savedefault
boot
title		Gentoo Linux 2008.0 (2.6.27)
root		(hd0,0)
kernel		/boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.27 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda1 doscsi 
initrd		/boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.27
savedefault
boot

title		MacOS X Leopard (10.5.6)
root			(hd2)
makeactive
chainloader	 (hd2)+1

title Windows 7 Beta 1
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

I have modified your menu.lst overwrite it to original and in gentoo from terminal type:

sudo grub-install --roort-directory=/ /dev/sda <return>

type your password <return>

and reboot

Well, thats's interesting of course, but I don't understand why i must do sudo grub-install --roort-directory=/ /dev/sda if grub is already installed on (hd0) and that's /dev/sda? And chainloader (hd2)+1 means that grub will give his job to some macloader on /dev/sdc (hd2) and i don't have it. (i think... course if it would be, i'd get some errors but i get only a black screen with a blinking tile.) So, explain what you have done and how it works. And... I have 3 partitions on mac hdd 1 for boot loader as i planed, next - mac_root and then mac_home, so my system drive is /dev/sdc2 (hd2,1).

-----edit-------

I've done as you advised. makeactive gave an error 12 - invalid device requested

chainloader (hd2)+1 and boot hang up grub.

Doing

root (hd2,1)

makeactive

chainloader +1

boot

gave boot1: error.