The Great $1 Windows Vista Contest

Swad

27 posts in this topic

Now that Windows XP has been conquered for dual booting, it’s time to set our sights on Windows Vista. Vista will (likely) be released by the end of 2006 and when it is, Intel Mac users will be seeking a solution to dual boot it with OS X.

Our goal is to have this ability by the day Windows Vista is released. In order to do so, we’re sponsoring “The Great $1 Windows Vista Contest.” In keeping with the community driven nature of our site, we want input from everyone. We feel that the free sharing of information is the quickest and most effective way to reach our goals.

The total prize amount for this contest is $1 and will paid to the winner, at which point the title of "Master of Vista" will be conferred upon active contributors. By skipping a large monetary payout, we hope to remove anything holding us back from sharing what we learn. Plus, it’s fun.

The final solution will be made fully open source, with installation instructions and files housed at TwinMac.org. The wiki and forum here at the OSx86 Project will be open to anyone and anyone – you won’t even have to register to contribute.

We’re sponsoring this effort for two reasons –we want to dual boot Vista as soon as possible (for testing purposes) and to prove that transparent, open source collaboration serves the community best.

Let the contest begin!!!

Contest Rules:

1. You must have a computer to win.

2. Only carbon-based life forms are eligible.

3. Fans of Nancy Sinatra (i.e. those parties who are in possession of one or more albums) need not apply. These “boots” weren’t made for anything but an Intel Mac.

Here is a collection of what we know so far! Use this thread to share ideas and kick everything off!

i agree. though monetary prizes may lure some expertise that might not otherwise care, the ideal community-driven approach should be itself quite capable and much more pleasant. wish i had a machine to play with to help.

- aaron

On a serious note, don't waste your time until the April/May Public Preview Release is out. Too many things may change between the current CTP build and that one to be worth someone wasting their time.

I have an MSDN subscription and thus access to legit activateable builds of Vista when they are released. I will be more than willing to help contribute to this project as I've been testing Vista since Longhorn 4051.

Also a comment I wish to make, wait until the Memron 64-bit procs are released so we can focus on the 64-bit version of Vista. It has almost better driver support than the 32 from what I've seen so far and it will be a MAJOR push by both MS and the hardware building community to push 64-bit.

There is no reason why a MacBook Pro owner would want to run the 32 bit version instead, especially since the Memron Procs will just plug into current MacBook Pro's.

Alex

There is no reason why a MacBook Pro owner would want to run the 32 bit version instead, especially since the Memron Procs will just plug into current MacBook Pro's.

Actually the core duo's on the macbook pro are soldered onto the mainboard, unlike the imac and mini which have sockets.

2 things:

First, it's "Merom", not "Memron"

Second, there are already people with Yonah-based Intel Macs, including myself. Do you really want to lock those?

Sorry for the mis-spelling, I'm an AMD fanboy :hysterical:

Think about it. It's Nov. 2006 and you just bought Vista. Look around, do you see ANY 32-bit only hardware either PC or Mac? No you don't. I simply feel that just about all 32-bit Mac users will be fine with running XP so why waste energy developing something for the very few. It is open-source so to each his own but...

Besides, if you are an advanced user that can benifit from Vista you will either already have 64-bit or you will buy 64-bit just for Vista anyway.

92GTA-

Well, the reason we want to do this now is so that we can have it working as best as we can by the time it ships. By starting work now we can learn what we'll need from the next major release, etc. And even though we may have to wait for some drivers, we can certainly make some progress in the interim period.

Also, since some people will still have Core Duo's, it's best to include them in our work.

Thanks for your willingness to help. Oh, and yeah - digg that link. :(

I won't make anything I have legit access to available to others. I just look like this, lol. (yeah that doesn't work right on the internet :hysterical: )

What I'm saying is that I am able to do extensive testing because I can activate my copy to use it for more than the 14 trial that the Torrent'ed ones last. Also I can bring my expertise to the table, which with Windows and Vista specifically is much. Trouble shooting like that is invalueable for a project like this. I also have access to just about every Intel Mac Apple will make through my job.

And like I said, doesn't start with the 5308 build or the 5342 MS partner build. Wait until the actual BETA 2 or RC0 build before you start. So we have another month and a half to wait.

Well I don't think getting vista is gonna be TOO difficult. I posted my thoughts on how to get it going in the other sticky http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?s=...indpost&p=80689

On a silly side note to the contest. For fun I think whoever wins should have a nice crisp new $1 bill sent to them with MASTER OF VISTA printed onto it all fancy for fun. Then the winner can frame it or something.

Well I don't think getting vista is gonna be TOO difficult. I posted my thoughts on how to get it going in the other sticky http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?s=...indpost&p=80689

[...]

I ran a quick test with my vista DVD (I'm finally on the beta so I can play with no guilt now) and got the DVD to start loading. Initially you get an int error that pops up. You have to press g and enter 18 times to get past these int errors and then "Windows is loading files..." pops up and does its thing. Then the int pops up again and you press g another 20 or so times. Then black screen. OR press F8 immediately after gitting g 18 times, bring the boot menu up, press F8 again, g 18 more times, and then you get the boot options menu. Make a selection and press g 1 or 2 more times then black screen again.

So, following these instructions (using MBP w/ Feb CTP), after using F8 (once was enough) to drop out to the boot menu, I chose "Safe mode with command prompt". Vista then starts loading drivers (slowly!), and after a few minutes, it stops cold at disk.sys.

Not sure if this is progress, but now you know...

So, following these instructions (using MBP w/ Feb CTP), after using F8 (once was enough) to drop out to the boot menu, I chose "Safe mode with command prompt". Vista then starts loading drivers (slowly!), and after a few minutes, it stops cold at disk.sys.

Not sure if this is progress, but now you know...

No but its something. Its supposed to do that right now until we figure out the video end of it.

You wouldn't think this would be hard since Vista is effectively XP SP3! [New features, what new features?]

That is one of the ignorant remarks I think I've read here :whistle:

Booting Windows XP or Vista on the new Mac Intels seems interesting, maybe even cool and fun.

But wasn't this web site about Mac OS X on x86 platform? I haven't seen here any news about the subject anymore. Despite how interesting dual boot on Mac Intels can be, isn't this site going off topic? Correct me if I'm wrong.

voxxdigital-

Great question. This site was originally set up for everything dealing with the Intel Macs - at the time all we had was OSx86, so thus the name and the initial interest. However, now that we've seen the actual Macs introduced, this site can fulfill its full purpose.

But don't worry - we'll still have a ton of OSx86 news when there is some. The problem has been that there hasn't been much lately. When there's more news, we'll be there - we reported on the newest nVIDIA drivers, for example. (Until then you'll see some more OSx86 debate/commentary, such as a debate feature we're going to launch once we migrate to the new server)

But also, many of those who originally installed OSx86 on their PCs have "gone legit" in buying the new Macintels. They're still here and are very interested in dual booting, etc, so we're here to accommodate!

I hope this clears it up for ya.

Well, I can't say that you're wrong.

But I thought, as the picture in this site's home page leads one to think, that it was about running OSX in generic x86 platform.

Yes, you're right about the Macintels - only Apple isn't by charging two or three times the price of a PC for almost the same hardware, hence my curiosity (and maybe many other users') to see OSX running on an ordinary PC, and the will to pressure Apple to release OSX for third-party hardware.

Guest gheem

I must agree with voxxdigital on this point. Really for a lot of us, the project is using osx on generic hardware. Of course this does NOT mean being illegal about it. If we purchase an out of box version of osx for x86, then we should be able to run it on whatever hardware we want to throw it on. A lot of the this is simple economics. There are a number of poeple who simply cannot afford the price of a nice shiny new mac, mostly because of import taxes if they live in a country other than the US. I know of more than one instance where the tarriffs imposed make a mac almost twice the price that it goes for in the US. Curiously, PC hardware is readily availible and competitvely priced in the same country. I am using Brazil here as an example. I know for a fact that Gates and company did some heavy lobbying there, and the Brazillian government imposed tarriffs that are far in excess for macs, and lighter for generic x86. The other point following this is that if I could get a faster dual Intel dual core for the same price as a mini, I think that I would certainly go for the faster and cheaper hardware IF I could run my liscensed copy of OSx for x86. Don't get me wrong, this is a valuable place and the fact that we can now run native xp on macintels is great, but I am fearful the point of the project may get lost if we stay on that for too long......

Guest Nicky Moreaux

A simple question, for Windows XP, a 'simple' Cd of Genuine is sufficient, but for Vista, it is rained difficult my time, one needs a subscription at MSDN... For the young people impassioned like me and much of others, it will be well liked complex to raise this demolished. And with 1$ :D . In short, thank you for the project, and has all these partisans. I am French by the way, moreover I am 16 years old. then excuse me for my contemptible English.

gheem -

Yeah, our site is just expanding as new things come around. We haven't lost site of where we started - that's why the OSx86 section is still huge!

But you have my word on that. :)

Anyway, back on topic... :-)

• 3 weeks later...