Voodoo 9.4.0 Kernel BETA (universal kernel for Leopard)

mercurysquad

30 posts in this topic

NOTE: Since Apple has released kernel 9.5 sources we have been working on it instead. Beta 2 will be based on kernel 9.5 -- we are NOT looking for any more testing of 9.4 kernel, please wait for the next beta. Thanks!

The new Voodoo kernel is entering a limited beta. Testing is appreciated.

Please see This Page for more information. Check the "Hardware" page for detail testing information.

Bug reports: please ONLY on Google code issues page. Feel free to discuss on this thread but please file proper reports on that page so everything is organized.

Note 1: Use 10.5.4 System.kext for maximum compatibility. Vanilla kext is fine.

Note 2: EFI bootloader only!

Note 3: 10.5.5 kernel is not available but will be, soon.

Note 4: AMD/P4 etc - if you get instant reboot, set booflag busratio=X where X is your cpu freq multiplier (ie. cpu freq / fsb). A fix has been verified and will be available in next beta -- do not report this as a bug!

Note 5: This kernel is 100% legal, and that means there is no built-in decryption - use dsmos.kext or AppleDecrypt.kext if you need (please don't post here and don't ask me)

If you can't boot with AMD, try to set busratio=X bootflag where X is your cpu clock multiplier (ie. times FSB freq).

Also make sure you either have NullCPUPowerManagement.kext OR have removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext!

If that still doesn't work : please don't forget to post your motherboard make/model.

nForce users could have problems, it's known, and we're working on a fix.

Thanks for fresh AIR in kernel DEV.

Q:

I tested some other kernels before and most of them cant run in 64 Bit mode (logo- Intel 64 Bit CPU needed). modbins kernel crashes geekbench64 or other 64 bit apps. Is it planned to support 32/64 Bit mode also ?

On Intel, 64bit should work. On AMD, not yet.

Thanks for fresh AIR in kernel DEV.

Q:

I tested some other kernels before and most of them cant run in 64 Bit mode (logo- Intel 64 Bit CPU needed). modbins kernel crashes geekbench64 or other 64 bit apps. Is it planned to support 32/64 Bit mode also ?

Seems to work fine in my AMD 64 3000+, first time did an instant reboot but tried the bootflag and works great now.

Don't know if it says the correct info in about this mac, cause it's inserted by OSX86Tools.

So far the nforce controller is doing a fine job, no error reported.

Everything runs great, it seems quite faster than before, I'll report any problem.

Thanks guys, you're doing a fantastic job!!!

My specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+

Asus A8N-SLI (nforce4 SLI)

1.5Gb RAM DDR 400Mhz

Thanks - i will try it with C2D and 10.5.5 system.kext and report.

Is it possible for someone to upload the System.kext for 10.5.4 (9.4.0)?

I have 10.5.4 installed, but I'm using the ToH 9.2.0 kernel...

EDIT: Got it. Works great!

Sleep finally works for me, speedstep still a problem, but it seems faster than before!

Thanks!

Specs below.

Hi, busratio=200 is too large!

It should be a number around 3 to 25, usually single-digit.

if X = cpu frequency in mhz (1600, 1733, 2400 etc.)

and Y = fsb frequency in mhz (100,133,167,333 etc.)

then busratio = X divided by Y

This busratio problem has been fixed for AMD users and will be available in next beta!

System launched with a parameter busratio = 200, the system rabtaet braked very very slowly.

Sorry for my bad English.

Kernel has nothing to do with Software Update.

You can use this beta on any version of Leopard from 10.5.1 to 10.5.5 (just use the proper System.kext else you might have problems like USB issues).

I need also the system Kext to try out (original) also can i use software updater with this

I just tried the Voodoo kernel as part of my boot-132 iso. My system specs are in the sig. It is an Intel P4 with SSE3 and hyperthreading (2 threads). The system is a retail dvd install + chameleon and Extra/Extensions on the boot cd.

As far as I can tell at the moment, everything is running correctly. The SystemProfiler shows:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:	Mac
 Model Identifier:	8183XXD
 Processor Speed:	3 GHz
 Number Of Processors:	1
 Total Number Of Cores:	1
 L2 Cache:	512 KB
 Memory:	2 GB
 Bus Speed:	400 MHz
 Boot ROM Version:	BOOT.EFI.V80
 Serial Number:	CK157KMHK5B

I have never tried speed step or sleep.