Mac OS X USENET USERS...

rick90660

15 posts in this topic

Hi there, i've recently downloaded NZB Drop as a replacement to my good old GrabIt client that I used to frequently use on Windows. My question is are there any cool easy to use apps out there for a more stream lined approach?

GrabIt did i all for you in a nice GUI, but NZB Drop will only download the RAR files for you and make you decompress them yourself, as well as manually delete them.

There was another Windows program called "NZB Player" which allowed a user of USENET to download an NZB file and stream it's video contents directly from the USENET servers without the need to wait for it to finish completely downloading. Where can I find something good like that but for the Mac? I'm a Google addict and looked all over but haven't found anything that similar to these two programs.

Help a fellow out!

x R i c k

THANKS GUYS!

I've also been looking for a good newsgroup application for OS X, with no luck. I've been using Grabit for years, i did mail Grabit's author a while back at shemes, he himself said he's recently switched to the mac but doesn't have time to port Grabit over. He told me he uses parallels purely for Grabit. :censored2:

I've also been looking for a good newsgroup application for OS X, with no luck. I've been using Grabit for years, i did mail Grabit's author a while back at shemes, he himself said he's recently switched to the mac but doesn't have time to port Grabit over. He told me he uses parallels purely for Grabit. :censored2:

=/ Darn. That's what I was thinking too, I have Parallels, but it seems sooo sucky to have to use windows just because of one program that I can't find for the Mac, too bad then.

At least I know i'm not alone on this.

x R i c k

I did download and run GrabIt on CrossOver and I must say i'm very impressed, it's not a little resource whore like Parallels is which is essential when you're still saving up to get another stick of RAM. Razlor I tried UNISON, but it's not a very intuitive piece of software, it won't even give you an estimated time arrival...which is sort of essential when downloading anything off the internet.

that other one, i'm not techy enough to even attempt to get started with.

I'm glad that I have my GrabIt and it runs almost 90% seamlessly!

• 3 months later...
NZB Drop is {censored}. I use Unison from Panic Software. It is shareware, but well worth the price. Also this is the best RAR software which will even fix corrupt data is:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~gp/MacPAR_deLuxe/

Everything all you guys just mentioned is {censored}.

Although there is no good OS X alternative to NZBPlayer, the best solution is...

SABnzbd+

It is for the more advanced users, but it is an absolutely amazing NZB downloader.

It automatically downloads, corrects, unrars, deletes... ta-da.

Directory sorting, newsfeed watching, keyword checking beauty.

Good luck.

http://www.sabnzbd.org/

• 4 months later...

Unision for Mac is {censored}!

Lots of errors in filesize, so you cant unrar and stuff like that.

The best solution for MacOs ist Hellanzb!

Trust me I tryed them all!

Hellanzb ist written in Python an run in Terminal so you need to install xcode tools and Macport to install Hellanzb.

You can setup Hellanzb via config. Then you only drop the nzb file in certain folder to download.The files being automaticly unrared after download.

http://www.hellanzb.com/

have fun

• 4 months later...
Unision for Mac is {censored}!

Lots of errors in filesize, so you cant unrar and stuff like that.

The best solution for MacOs ist Hellanzb!

Trust me I tryed them all!

Hellanzb ist written in Python an run in Terminal so you need to install xcode tools and Macport to install Hellanzb.

You can setup Hellanzb via config. Then you only drop the nzb file in certain folder to download.The files being automaticly unrared after download.

http://www.hellanzb.com/

have fun

I'm sure you are probably right about Unison but using Hellanzb is painful. I'm on the mac because I LIKE GUI interfaces.

But I just did a stint using Unison and I'm not satisfied.

I'll probably try SABnzbd+ if I get to the point to play around with the terminal. I would totally use a parallels and such for a windows app but my download machine is PPC.

It's like when I started using bitorrents for transfer. Nothing for the Mac that was suitable and desirable until Azureus and Transmission pushed through.

Still I search...

• 3 weeks later...

only thing i missed was grabit, now using sabnzb+ with sabnzbX (system bar gui) along with growl notifications... tried everything else mentioned and this is THE best imo including all the windows apps i have tried. although nzbplayer sounds pretty interesting... not tried that yet.